Another Attempt To Import My Car To Bkk

jl_333

Chicks dig porches! 

Well that may be, BUT

1. A Porche is waste of time in Thailand, no roads to show off the speed, unless

you want support the whole Thai Police force with the fines. :D

2. You will be forever scrapping the underside on the bumpy roads of Thailand.

:o

WHy does everyone think I want to show off? Pls get over it!!! Again, I'm an enthusiast, I love cars, I love to drive, I don't care whether its sitting in traffic or gunning it down the autobahn (of course the latter would be more satisfying). I'm sure some can relate, but to others it is seen as a material item to show, sorry thats not the case...

I live in Manhattan at the moment and I guarantee you the roads here are just as bad, if not worse than bkk. And at least you have an expressway, all we have is the west side highway and FDR drive, both not ideal for driving anywhere near fast!

A while ago I posted here inquiring on methods/procedures needed to ship my 911 into the ports of Thailand.

If you are planning on living permanently in Thailand and using the proper visa, you can ask for permission from the Ministry of Commerce to bring in a used car. Without that document, a used car is not allowed to be imported into Thailand.

Used motorcycles and used cars fall under the same rule. I imported my used motorcycle into Thailand a couple of years ago. It sat in Khlong Toey Port for six months before I could clear it because I didn't have the letter from the Ministry first. I was lucky to get it at all.

Put your ducks in a row first and bring lots of cash. First, your visa must be right to allow you to import your car. Second, contact a Customs clearing agent and explain everything you want to do. He will contact his friends at Customs. Third, take all your documents to the Ministry of Commerce that shows you have moved here and that you owned your car in your home country for more than a year and a half before making the move. The letter will probably cost you around 25K baht. Bring all the requested documentation to the clearing agent so he can present it to his Customs friends. When, and only when, the Customs department agrees to allow you to bring in your car should you ship it.

If your clearing agent is doing his job, he will try and bring down the declared value of your car and save you some money. Don't expect to pay tea money as a matter of course and get your car because it doesn't work that way anymore.

If I had it to do again, I wouldn't.