Detectives Travel To Thailand To Seek Justice For Kirsty Jones

Lite Beer

Detectives travel to Thailand to seek justice for Kirsty

Section Community | Published on 17 Feb 2012

Senior Detectives from Dyfed Powys Police are meeting officials from the Thai Authorities in Chiang Mai next week to discuss the progress being made in the investigation into the murder of Kirsty Jones, a student from Brecon that took place in August 2000.

With the support of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and Interpol, Dyfed Powys Police have continued to support the investigation in an effort to bring it to a successful conclusion.

Chief Constable Ian Arundale said, “The Thai Authorities are aware of our commitment to discover the truth and secure justice for Kirsty and the Jones family. Senior officers are still firmly of the view that this is a case which can be brought to a successful conclusion.

“It is an unusual case and we feel that even almost twelve years later, we can provide assistance to the police in Thailand to help catch the offender.”

Detective Chief Superintendent Steve Wilkins, lead officer on the case from Dyfed Powys added, “We are attending a meeting next week with the Thai Authorities to discuss the current position of the investigation as well as their main lines of enquiry, in particular the forensic evidence. I believe the DNA profile that they have should be the focus of the investigation, and we are willing to assist them in interpreting its value.

“We think that the answers to this case rest in Thailand, in particular in Chiang Mai. Back in October 2010 we responded to a Letter of Request from Thai Attorney General. We are still waiting for responses to some issues that we raised relating to the work that we carried out. This work included the re-interviewing of a number of witnesses who are now residents in the UK as well as cross boarder collaboration with the Scottish Crown Office and other Police forces and agencies. We also traced a number of witnesses living in Thailand and one living in India.”

Detectives travel to Thailand on the weekend and Dyfed Powys Police remain hopeful that the case can be solved and that the offender can be brought to justice.

http://www.newswales...ty&F=1&id=23909

NewsWales --2012-02-17--

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"took place in August 2000"

More than 11 years ago. Very incompetent so someone should tell the detective don’t bother to talk to Thai officials, they will not be helpful at all and just do you job independently

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed, use default forum font when posting.
  • Like 2

"took place in August 2000"

More than 11 years ago. Very incompetent so someone should tell the detective don’t bother to talk to Thai officials, they will not be helpful at all and just do you job independently

and should you find your man and want justice, consider rendition.

Good luck getting any cooperation.

After almost twelve years there will be no co-operation apart from the tacit type.

I can easily understand the families need for closure, but in the land of smoke and mirrors expect nothing more than a smile. (and we all know how many different smiles they have)

• Like 2

I know personally some involved people. There were different police investigations with different sponsors - and different results.

DNA is not DNA when you change the laboratory, an involved disrobed monk disappeared suddenly and so on.

The "convicted Briton murder" got bail and so on.

12 years already. Let by gone be by gone.

Anyway, she must have been reborned already, according to Buddhist teaching, that ends all krama.

Tell that to her loved ones,I doubt very much they share this view.

I didn't make it up. It is a western saying "Time heals all wounds".

Anyway, she must have been reborned already, according to Buddhist teaching, that ends all krama.

It may do, but I think it's a bit of a cop out of trying to defend the BIB. This particular case has been a disgrace from day one, and highlights the imcompetence, reluctance and corrupt nature of those morons that wear brown.

The family at least deserve to have some closure on this, and that will come from this case being solved - which judging by a lot of the reports shouldn't be particularly difficult if they really wanted to.

• Like 1

It may do, but I think it's a bit of a cop out of trying to defend the BIB. This particular case has been a disgrace from day one, and highlights the imcompetence, reluctance and corrupt nature of those morons that wear brown.

The family at least deserve to have some closure on this, and that will come from this case being solved - which judging by a lot of the reports shouldn't be particularly difficult if they really wanted to.

Some truth is best kept untold.

Here's another - "There is no Statute of Limitations for murder." It is a fact that should more often brought home to Thais with "influence" by foreigners with conscience.

• Like 2

For those not familiar with this case,

The British Government, the local MP in Wales and the Dyfed Powys Police have repeatedly pressured various bodies in Thailand, particularly the police in Chiang Mai to solve this case. This is by no means the first time the case has been raised.

The Chiang Mai police investigation could be described as "totally incompetent at best".

It is widely believed that the Chiang Mai Police are aware who committed the crime and are protecting this person. Their pattern of framing unrelated individuals is just one of many strange lines of enquiry they have pursued.

Under the Thai Police culture, the only way to solve this is a direct, clear, unambiguous order from The Interior Minister (Chalerm) to arrest those responsible.

The British Government would need to give him some kind of reason/incentive/favour/political capital for him to do that.

A very sad, sad case indeed.

• Like 1

For those not familiar with this case,

The British Government, the local MP in Wales and the Dyfed Powys Police have repeatedly pressured various bodies in Thailand, particularly the police in Chiang Mai to solve this case. This is by no means the first time the case has been raised.

The Chiang Mai police investigation could be described as "totally incompetent at best".

It is widely believed that the Chiang Mai Police are aware who committed the crime and are protecting this person. Their pattern of framing unrelated individuals is just one of many strange lines of enquiry they have pursued.

Under the Thai Police culture, the only way to solve this is a direct, clear, unambiguous order from The Interior Minister (Chalerm) to arrest those responsible.

The British Government would need to give him some kind of reason/incentive/favour/political capital for him to do that.

A very sad, sad case indeed.

Actually there appears to be an unresolved DNA issue. Certain tests may have been botched. There is a reference on the Drummond site.

Kirsty Jones Rape And Murder Update - British Detectives Return

Published by Andrew Drummond

Kirsty-Jones-mortar.jpg

CHIANG MAI: -- British police investigating the rape and murder of Welsh backpacker Kirsty Jones, who was just 23 when she was brutally murdered and raped in a Chiang Mai guest house are back in Thailand trying once again to catch her killer.

Detective Chief Superintendent Steve Wilkins, of Dyfed Powys Police has returned 12 years after the event. He has issued a statement (below). It looks like this is the DCS’s last effort to try and catch Kirsty’s killer before he retires in two months time. But Kirsty’s mum Sue Jones says she will never give up. [more...]

Full story: http://andrew-drummo...ory.php?sid=509

-- andrew-drummond.com 2012-02-18

footer_n.gif

The Thai police are losing face once again on this case. They have spent 12 years doing everything possible to NOT solve this case. Why ?? Because clearly a person of influence is involved in this case. So in a battle between loss of face / loss of tourism, and a person of influence being brought to justice, it is pretty clear who has won. I hope the British police enjoy their vacation, because unless the British Ambassador brings some heavy pressure to bear, this case will never be solved.

Cases like this are a clear example how the rule of law simply does not exist here. It is a facade of law. All the pieces of a judicial system are in place to impress foreigners, but the reality is there actually is no system. Countless cases like this one prove this concept on an ongoing basis.......

Edited by EyesWideOpen
  • Like 2

Why would the family wait so long to send detectives?

Probably has more to do with the cops being able to get the budget covered for a free trip to Thailand.

and perhaps have some cheap beer & cheap chicks in the process...?

I thought that was just assumed when somebody speak about a trip to Thailand be it work or pleasure trip ;-)

The Thai police are losing face once again on this case. They have spent 12 years doing everything possible to NOT solve this case. Why ?? Because clearly a person of influence is involved in this case. So in a battle between loss of face / loss of tourism, and a person of influence being brought to justice, it is pretty clear who has won. I hope the British police enjoy their vacation, because unless the British Ambassador brings some heavy pressure to bear, this case will never be solved.

Who is the person of influence involved or is this just an assumption? I know nothing about the facts of this case but do know that even in the US that 40% of murders go unsolved. The US along with Thailand also has some of the highest incarcerations (% of pop. behind bars) in the world. Unless there are facts to point another way, I wouldn't just assume this unsolved crime has anything to do with corruption.

He is a Chiang Mai University professor , who has consistently refused to submit to a DNA test to clear himself. Not really sure why a professor is more valued than tourism, he may be connected by family.

Who is the person of influence involved or is this just an assumption? I know nothing about the facts of this case but do know that even in the US that 40% of murders go unsolved. The US along with Thailand also has some of the highest incarcerations (% of pop. behind bars) in the world. Unless there are facts to point another way, I wouldn't just assume this unsolved crime has anything to do with corruption.

He is a Chiang Mai University professor , who has consistently refused to submit to a DNA test to clear himself. Not really sure why a professor is more valued than tourism, he may be connected by family.

Causing a Thai to lose face (they never cause it themselves) is bad karma, and it was only a farang.

When the sun comes up every day it leads one to assume that is what is causing the light and heat.