New Ford Ranger Audio Upgrade

MESmith

Can any car audio experts tell me how I would go about upgrading the original audio unit in the New Ford Ranger? I definitely need USB input, maybe bluetooth. How much does the unit being hidden away behind the dashboard complicate matters? Would only a high end unit be able to connect to all the dashboard controls? Due to budget constraints, I'm tempted to go for the current XLT hi-rider, & need to buy with the tax rebate factored in, so don't think I can wait for upgrades to the XLT seeing that the Wildtrak is so late arriving. Don't really fancy the Wildtrak anyway.

Btw, I'm quite satisfied at the moment with my Pioneer DEH-2150 that cost all of 3000 baht in my current truck, so would prefer not to have spend heaps just to get a USB audio in.

I haven't seen any dash kits for the new Ranger, and without one of them, it's going to be next to impossible to change the source unit.

There's 3 possible options I can think of (off the top of my head) that don't go overboard into things like external signal processors etc:

1) Ask Ford how much it's going to cost to upgrade the stereo to the Wildtrak spec (which adds USB, Bluetooth and Steering Wheel controls). I would be surprised if the core source unit in the XLT was dfferent to the Wildtrak -i.e. I imagine and these are all just plug-in upgrades.

2) Wait for the aftermarket to come up with a dash kit that will allow the whole thing to be replaced with a standard DIN or Double DIN unit.

3) If you only want USB so you can play MP3's (w/out a screen I couldn't see what other media you'd want to play?), you can either just burn DVD's of MP3's, or use the AUX connector with an iPod or Smartphone.

I haven't seen any dash kits for the new Ranger, and without one of them, it's going to be next to impossible to change the source unit.

There's 3 possible options I can think of (off the top of my head) that don't go overboard into things like external signal processors etc:

1) Ask Ford how much it's going to cost to upgrade the stereo to the Wildtrak spec (which adds USB, Bluetooth and Steering Wheel controls). I would be surprised if the core source unit in the XLT was dfferent to the Wildtrak -i.e. I imagine and these are all just plug-in upgrades.

2) Wait for the aftermarket to come up with a dash kit that will allow the whole thing to be replaced with a standard DIN or Double DIN unit.

3) If you only want USB so you can play MP3's (w/out a screen I couldn't see what other media you'd want to play?), you can either just burn DVD's of MP3's, or use the AUX connector with an iPod or Smartphone.

I tried contacting Ford Th a while back, but got the standard reply that "Wildtrak has USB" mad.gif

When I previously tried playing an mp3 player through AUX plug, the sound was cr@p, & another time the jack plugs I tried were a bit loose fitting in the socket. Also, I'm not sure the player in the XLT plays dvds. mp3 cds only I think.

Think I'll pay another visit to Ford in Chiang Mai tomorrow & see if they can help with an upgrade.

I tried contacting Ford Th a while back, but got the standard reply that "Wildtrak has USB" mad.gif

When I previously tried playing an mp3 player through AUX plug, the sound was cr@p, & another time the jack plugs I tried were a bit loose fitting in the socket. Also, I'm not sure the player in the XLT plays dvds. mp3 cds only I think.

Think I'll pay another visit to Ford in Chiang Mai tomorrow & see if they can help with an upgrade.

Ahh yes, CD only in Ranger, sorry!

As for asking a Ford sales rep, forget it, they won't know - and if you're Thai and you don't know something that a farang just asked, that must mean it's impossible.. ;)

Your best chance of getting the upgrade will be a helpful parts dept who will spend the time comparing drawings and part numbers between the XLT and Wildtrak models to get to the bottom of it. Good luck with that though... ;)

As for asking a Ford sales rep, forget it, they won't know - and if you're Thai and you don't know something that a farang just asked, that must mean it's impossible.. wink.png

Your best chance of getting the upgrade will be a helpful parts dept who will spend the time comparing drawings and part numbers between the XLT and Wildtrak models to get to the bottom of it. Good luck with that though... wink.png

Maybe they know whether the audio unit will accept a plug in cd changer box. If so, I found on the web a gadget by GROM that plugs into that socket, allowing USB input.

Btw, does the BT-50 Pro offer all that the 2.2 Wildtrak has, without the bars etc?

As for asking a Ford sales rep, forget it, they won't know - and if you're Thai and you don't know something that a farang just asked, that must mean it's impossible.. wink.png

Your best chance of getting the upgrade will be a helpful parts dept who will spend the time comparing drawings and part numbers between the XLT and Wildtrak models to get to the bottom of it. Good luck with that though... wink.png

Maybe they know whether the audio unit will accept a plug in cd changer box. If so, I found on the web a gadget by GROM that plugs into that socket, allowing USB input.

Btw, does the BT-50 Pro offer all that the 2.2 Wildtrak has, without the bars etc?

There's no CD changer option available for the Ranger or BT50 in Australia, so that's probably a good indicator that no such thing exists:

http://www.ford.com.au/commercial/new-ranger/accessories/interior

http://mazda.com.au/vehicles/bt-50/accessories?bsid={435894B6-C4FE-42EF-9463-E464B8281276}&gid={76C590A4-167D-4457-82EF-50D69B033DCF}

The BT-50 Hi-Racer 4-door 2.2L 6AT 4x2 V-Grade ABS/Cruise/Leather model (874K) is practically the same spec as the Ranger 4-door 2.2L 6AT 4x2 Wildtrak (869K), less the roof bars, roll bar and tray rails.

Note that USB input is available on models as low as the 639K Baht 2.2L Extracab V-Grade in the BT-50 Range though, and all; BT-50's with ABS also get Bluetooth - which again tells me that the source units are all the same, and that USB and B/T are just plug-in accessories...

There's no CD changer option available for the Ranger or BT50 in Australia, so that's probably a good indicator that no such thing exists:

http://www.ford.com....sories/interior

http://mazda.com.au/vehicles/bt-50/accessories?bsid={435894B6-C4FE-42EF-9463-E464B8281276}&gid={76C590A4-167D-4457-82EF-50D69B033DCF}

The BT-50 Hi-Racer 4-door 2.2L 6AT 4x2 V-Grade ABS/Cruise/Leather model (874K) is practically the same spec as the Ranger 4-door 2.2L 6AT 4x2 Wildtrak (869K), less the roof bars, roll bar and tray rails.

Note that USB input is available on models as low as the 639K Baht 2.2L Extracab V-Grade in the BT-50 Range though, and all; BT-50's with ABS also get Bluetooth - which again tells me that the source units are all the same, and that USB and B/T are just plug-in accessories...

What a clusterf#@k in marketing!! The Wildtrak has unnecessary extras, the XLT is lacking in features. Mazda offer some of the Wildtrak features on their more basic models. Give me, sorry sell me, an XLT with some of the Wildtrak accessories that are available on a basic Mazda. Too much to ask? And to top it all, the Wildtrak isn't available in my favourite colour!!

What a clusterf#@k in marketing!! The Wildtrak has unnecessary extras, the XLT is lacking in features. Mazda offer some of the Wildtrak features on their more basic models. Give me, sorry sell me, an XLT with some of the Wildtrak accessories that are available on a basic Mazda. Too much to ask? And to top it all, the Wildtrak isn't available in my favourite colour!!

I'm pretty conviced it's all strategic. I fully expect we'll see a new top-spec 3.2L XLT announced, that matches all the features of the 3.2L W/T, minus the W/T styling and W/T seats for (just) sub-1M Baht - but that might not be until Q4 or later.

No way we're going to even get a whiff of it until Ford have full production capacity though, and even then it may be held off until the Hilux refresh launches or even untl the new Nismitsu trucks launch, so they can insure their packaging and pricing is right.

Update after today's trip to Ford, CM.

The first salesman just repeated the usual answer, that USB etc not available in XLT, only Wildtrak. Later on, while sitting in the XLT, I noticed a "phone" button on the dashboard. Asked the more senior salesman what that does, as the XLT doesn't have phone bluetooth function. "For the future" was his response. When pressed further, he suggested that there should be options to upgrade the system without having to change everything behind the dash....

Update after today's trip to Ford, CM.

The first salesman just repeated the usual answer, that USB etc not available in XLT, only Wildtrak. Later on, while sitting in the XLT, I noticed a "phone" button on the dashboard. Asked the more senior salesman what that does, as the XLT doesn't have phone bluetooth function. "For the future" was his response. When pressed further, he suggested that there should be options to upgrade the system without having to change everything behind the dash....

RIght, I'm convinced - All you need now is a Ford parts guy that will spend the time working out the required part numbers.... Either that or ask to have a look at the microfiche* yourself ;)

* no longer an actual microfiche, but still commonly referred to as such.

• 1 year later...

So lets get this thread back up and running.

Has anyone come across any new developments in after-market stereo options for those of us who own XLT's and not Wildtracks?

There has to be some sort of USB-capable replacement unit out there by now................

So lets get this thread back up and running.

Has anyone come across any new developments in after-market stereo options for those of us who own XLT's and not Wildtracks?

There has to be some sort of USB-capable replacement unit out there by now................

One cannot simply add bluetooth or USB to the current XLT set-up as the wiring loom behind the dash needs changing as it does not have the connections for the relevent modules to plug into (Ford actually list 5 different dash wiring looms depending on spec level).

Driversound are doing some nice upgrades with double din head units though.

TX_19042013110359_9393546816e077fd1655b9

TX_19032013033918_d9b3a3a0ddf434f2c99244

http://www.driversoundinter.com/car/index.php?rev_model_id=65

This was done to a Toyota Truck yesterday, to hot to go out and look. Ford must be different i guess.Took them 95 Mins.

What was done to a Toyota truck yesterday ?

I give up, JVC and Reverse Camera fitted. Read above post. 22k.Bht

Don't qoute me if your not replying to me this will save all confusion.

Edited by Spoonman

JVC dealers do a replcement for 22k and that includes MP3/DVD USB,and a reversing camera.coffee1.gif

You'll have to forgive my ignorance here, but I'm working on the assumption most/any JVC dealers would be able to offer and install this package?

The Driversound package looks interesting also, but I'm guessing one can only get that installed up in BKK.

JVC dealers do a replcement for 22k and that includes MP3/DVD USB,and a reversing camera.coffee1.gif

You'll have to forgive my ignorance here, but I'm working on the assumption most/any JVC dealers would be able to offer and install this package?

The Driversound package looks interesting also, but I'm guessing one can only get that installed up in BKK.

Yeah driver sound modify your fascia so you need to take you vehicle to them, alternatively new fascia's from ford are only 1200b.

No Idea, as i said it was fitted in a Toyo, by a JVC dealer in Uttaradit, its a Works Truck, still havent looked in, but the Driver is more than happy his phone works and the music plays from a 8GB plastic thingy. Mogonman, your not ignorant, just a user and not a bore.thumbsup.gif