Burma, The Rising Star...

dagling

What do you think about Burma?

Personally, I think Burma will be an open country where it wants progress and development

When, not if, the big change comes with Suu Kyi's seizure of power.

Large heavy international companies, as well as strong economic countries worldwide have started to invest in Burma.

This is just the beginning that Burma will eventually develop into economic prosperity, and also looks to me that Burma will become a major tourist country.

I predict that Thailand will lose many tourists and locals alike alien if Burma allows for a more open society and better conditions for resident foreigners, it is rumored that one can buy and own their own land and houses.

Tourists will certainly find the Mergui Archipelago comp rises over 800 beautiful islands. http://www.mergui.org/

I have great faith in Burma, and has already made ​​some very small investment, will come back to this later.

Burma, the future tourist destination in Asia.

Edited by dagling

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's previous record is pretty horrific for both its citizens and tourists alike. I'll believe its changes when it happens, but I think China will have a FAR greater influence than any other foreign power. It has some remarkable destinations but I'm not so sure what will happen in my lifetime.

How is this Thai related. have you ever been to Burma, A very poor Country, and has lots of goodies the west wants along with China . So yes the Sky's the Limit.

Many resident foreigners here in Thailand has had enough, and look for opportunities elsewhere in Asia. Personally, I think Thailand is facing a significant change for the worse over the next years to come.

Several large international companies has long warned Thai authorities that it would pull out of Thailand, as mainly due to floods.

Burma will after a takeover, opening up for major international companies. There are already large invisteringer from both the United States, England, France, Germany, etc. and it must certainly be a good reason for this?

I was in Burma three years ago, down the South of the Country. I have never felt so Intimidated, every where we went there where Dozens of children following us, Also we had a man maybe local police follow us, The streets where filled with rubbish, just piled along the sides of the streets, Sanitation was none existent. I hope The people of Burma get a better living standard, the ones I spoke to all where friendly and polite.

Saw recently on a television channel (can not remember which one it was) from Burma, where it showed several newly built highways with 10 lanes?

We are talking about crazily large sums of money which now invest in Burma, which certainly has its purpose.

Edited by dagling
  • Like 1

"resident foreigners here in Thailand has had enough"

This has been done to death, why these people who say they have had enough but still not packing their bags yet. (Have you even been to Burma?)

Edited by ARISTIDE

If they are smart in Burma, they will take the lessons that have been learned in the various countries in SEA in modernising a country and they could become a tourism/financial/natural resource powerhouse in Asia in the next 20 years

Edited by Soutpeel

If they are smart in Burma, they will take the lessons that have been learned in the various countries in SEA in modernising a country and they could become a tourism/financial/natural resource powerhouse in Asia.

That is so true but somehow I doubt they will be all that smart. Better bet -- somewhat smart.

I can remember over 30 years ago when it was speculated that India in the not far off future will become a first world economic power, far exceeding the West. But of course it never happened.

The same with Burma, it will never happen in our lifetime.

If it was on the cards that Burma was going to open up it`s doors to investors, than I am sure China, it`s neighbor would gain the lion`s share and mostly be under they`re control, unlike Thailand which is an independant country.

I can remember over 30 years ago when it was speculated that India in the not far off future will become a first world economic power, far exceeding the West. But of course it never happened.

The West is broke and India is booming.....so could we say it has happened somewhat ?

History is repeating itself...thousands of years ago China and India were very powerful and very rich countries in their own right and it seems we are coming full circle again....same could be said for Burma, was it not a very powerful country in SEA a thousand years ago ?

My "expert knowledge" is based on a four-day trip I did there over New Year, but on the basis of that I'd say Myanmar will open up quite a bit, but it won't be a full democracy for quite a while and The Lady will never be the leader of the country.

We have some business with the rubber industry in the southern regions - it is still all corruption, nepotism, poverty, filth and impassable roads during the rainy season.

Myanmar won't be 'open' as we know it for a long while and - despite most people's prognoses on this thread - won't be a Chinese vassal state. There have been some excellent articles lately outlining China's worry that its allies are falling by the wayside and falling into the US' hands.

Those ten lane highways? clap2.gif They are all in the new capitol and end a few kilometres outside of town.

To those who profess to be so sick and tired of Thailand's corruption and whatnot, why not try the Malaysia My Second Home scheme? Malaysia has far more beautiful beaches, islands, better food, far more educated people - everyone speaks English - the road system is excellent, the infrastructure in general is fantastic . . . but then there's no cheap beer and whores.

dam_n, I knew there was a reason why Malaysia has more tourists but less western 'expats' of the non-working kind

• Like 1

Myanmar won't be 'open' as we know it for a long while and - despite most people's prognoses on this thread - won't be a Chinese vassal state. There have been some excellent articles lately outlining China's worry that its allies are falling by the wayside and falling into the US' hands.

Hope this article was one of them!

Burmese reforms - the real deal?

Cheers!

Chris Larkin

Managing Director

CLC Asia

www.clc-asia.com

Many people I know have been to Burma and from what they said, the infrastructure is pretty much not ready yet and certainly not good to bring up family. I suggest you take the trip around SEA I personally think Vietnam rocks!

(Have you even been to Burma?)

No, I have not.

Malaysia is also a Muslim country.

We have some business with the rubber industry in the southern regions - it is still all corruption, nepotism, poverty, filth and impassable roads during the rainy season.

Those ten lane highways? clap2.gif They are all in the new capitol and end a few kilometres outside of town.

To those who profess to be so sick and tired of Thailand's corruption and whatnot, why not try the Malaysia My Second Home scheme? Malaysia has far more beautiful beaches, islands, better food, far more educated people - everyone speaks English - the road system is excellent, the infrastructure in general is fantastic . . . but then there's no cheap beer and whores.

dam_n, I knew there was a reason why Malaysia has more tourists but less western 'expats' of the non-working kind

Edited by ARISTIDE

I would disagree that price is the main problem, rather it is the fact that Malaysia attracts a different kind of foreigner who wishes to live in the tropics. The type of person who has made the decision to 'stay' or 'grow roots' as opposed to people who see a country as a roadhouse, to be used and abandoned based on a whim.

That's a chicken and egg question. Thailand offers NO such residence stability for retired expats that would seek it.
  • Like 1

Having read all the threads on this topic. many people have never actually been to Burma, they people there have been oppressed for so long and will still be a bit cautious about change, fearing that all this new beginnings are just a ploy. Go on Goggle earth take a look around you will find nothing, If you where to look at Burma from a satellite you would not see many if any areas lite up at night.

The best thing to happen is for other county's to help them and point them in the right direction , but whats the right direction, that will open a can of worms, China has bank rolled them for years. i remember a few years ago when they had flooding, there where British, American, and a few other country's ships waiting off shore to bring humanitarian aid, but the Burmese government would not let them Enter Burma, On who's orders i wonder.

One time these christian missionaries asked me to take them up the Mekong into Burma in my boat and I was all like "No way, Burma is a warzone." then they were all like "Please!" so I said Okay. Well, they later on got kidnapped by the army so me and a group of mercenaries had to go save them. At one point I got on the back of a jeep with a mounted machine gun and I turned a bunch of Burmese guys into hamburger. True Story...

"resident foreigners here in Thailand has had enough"

This has been done to death, why these people who say they have had enough but still not packing their bags yet. (Have you even been to Burma?)

Have to agree. Suggesting that Burma will surpass Thailand is like saying Mexico will surpass America. Yeah, right. Maybe in a couple of centuries. Burmese migrants are still flooding Thailand looking for work. Will never be the other way around in our lifetimes.

Somebody told me that Burma (Myanmar) does not have ATM's, true/false?.

Just wondering.

ph34r.png

The last I heard from a friend who has traveled there for years is you must bring in cash and can't even pay for a good hotel with a credit card. Some ATMs but not for foreign cards. Even travelers checks -- no good. My info may be a few years old. Obviously that stuff has to improve to make a bigger tourist destination. Right now, they don't even have many hotel rooms.

Somebody told me that Burma (Myanmar) does not have ATM's, true/false?.

Just wondering.

ph34r.png

The last I heard from a friend who has traveled there for years is you must bring in cash and can't even pay for a good hotel with a credit card. Some ATMs but not for foreign cards. Even travelers checks -- no good. My info may be a few years old. Obviously that stuff has to improve to make a bigger tourist destination. Right now, they don't even have many hotel rooms.

I didn't see any ATMs at New Year, but I wasn't looking for them, as we'd paid for everything upfront.

We were able to use a credit card in government-approved jewelry place.

General information of this kind can be found on the Trip Advisor Myanmar forum

• Like 1

I just saw a program on Burma on Aljazeera. Said tourism is up an amazing amount. Mostly from China and other Asian countries. They said the big problem is going to be available hotel rooms. Hard to come by. I've only been to the border areas, but hope to go this fall after the monsoons.

As for Malasia, wife and I toured all over before we moved here. Just didn't have the same feel. And in some places, had to look hard for a beer! Some of the beaches are better, some are not. Thailand has some amazing beaches.

I don't think Myanmar will be setup for expats for quite some time.

All hotels and guest houses for foreigners appear to be controlled by the government.

A small room costs $50-$100 a night (according to my pals who went over there)

No private citizen may have a foreigner staying in their house.

I can't see the country competing with anyone at those prices.

Have you found somewhere cheaper to stay?