Tefl Certificate - Cheap With Edu Goodness

I would like perhaps do a TEFL cert here in Thailand. Most likely for work in China or perhaps Vietnam, but possibly I'll stay here. I think Thailand's wages outside BKK are simply too low and ask far too much for it. All the requirements and visa hassles. Wish I saw otherwise, I like Thailand very much. Anyway....

I could use your honest opinions of schools. I prefer to do a course outside BKK, would like to spend under B40000 for 120 hours, prefer 30000. Would like to skip the tie thing.

BA from good US university

I have 1.5 years teaching experience (many yrs ago)

5 yrs teaching credential

5 yrs teaching in technical/computer environment

*prefer a school/instructor that does not take itself too seriously.

Chichester BKK?

Stamford HTY?

I've heard/read teflthai.com a scam? In BanPhe? Sure is pricey - hardly for me. US1500 (can you imagine how many years you'd have to teach at 17k a month to recoup that sort of cash?).

I had a friend that did a course at ECC BKK - hated it. Said the teachers took themselves way too seriously.

You can email me if you feel what you have to say will be scrutinized for being to opinionated.

my user name @gmail.com

BIG thanks

Chichester BKK?

Stamford HTY?

I don't think I've heard anything bad about either of these places to be honest.

You want at least 100 hours class time, and your 6 plus hours OTP.

I've heard/read teflthai.com a scam?
They definitely used to be (have a search on here).
In BanPhe?

That would be TEFL International not the above and TEFL Int. are kosher. Do their proper course though, their PELT isn't too hot IMHO.

Sure is pricey - hardly for me. US1500 (can you imagine how many years you'd have to teach at 17k a month to recoup that sort of cash?).

Well you tend to often get what you pay for, and most teachers here earn a fair bit more than 17k a month.

Have a look about on here as there's info on most of the courses.

Good luck mate and have a good time whichever one you decide to do.

Edited by kenkannif

the ECC CELTA is well worth it.  You will get a job anywhere with it ( you probably could just now without a TEFL cert ).  Other cheaper ones will get you a "what is this shit look?" from schools.

I would agree completely. It is hard and the instructors are serious because it is a serious course. I felt I got exactly what I paid a lot for, a lot of good instruction and a certificate that is the most recognised around the world. To the OP: you said you're going to teach in a country other than Thailand. This is all the more reason to do the CELTA instead of the others. A few of the others claim that their courses are more suited to Thailand and Thai students. However, if you already have a degree, you don't need the certificate; you'd be getting it for your own benefit.

the ECC CELTA is well worth it.  You will get a job anywhere with it ( you probably could just now without a TEFL cert ).  Other cheaper ones will get you a "what is this shit look?" from schools.

As others have pointed out, apparently the non-CELTA certificates in TEFL don't carry much weight outside Thailand. Nevertheless, within Thailand, almost any real TEFL cert (as kkennkkanniff said, 100 hours or more, plus supervised teaching practice) carries sufficient weight to count. Most Thai schools aren't that picky.

Unless you hold a real degree in EFL/ESL/TESOL, or you earned a master's or aa doctorate in a field you'll be teaching, it really helps to have a TEFL cert.

Other cheaper ones will get you a "what is this shit look?" from schools.

Thanks all, esp kkennkkanniff....the above quote, this is what I find so laughable about Thailand. N.Asian countries, developed nations require less - just a BA. I have 5 years of teaching Software/Hardware, ## units in Public Speaking, Debate Team - and grad from one of top 100 uni's in USA (world?) and some grad work at SAIS in WDC where I went to undergrad.

But the place that has some of the most tedious hassles has some of the lowest wages and high arrogance both from expat teacher/instructors - Thailand.

I've been here long enough to hear and read what horrid quality local Thai teachers can be and like I said - I've a good education some I am a bit defensive when someone with a fluffy Ed degree F-s me off.

What is it? It's a dumb piece of paper for the dumb requirement.

We are teaching conversational English here, not Quantum Physics.

Anyway - thanks again.

I've heard the people at ECC take the thing way to seriously.

Thai schools 'require' whatever they feel like at the moment. If it's May and classes have started, any warm body can become 'ajarn' until they find a real teacher. And they'll only terminate the warm body if he's no good at all.

Yes, it's not Quantum Physics, although I know somebody from the West who teaches that sort of stuff to high school students in Thailand. And there's nothing easy about teaching beginner EFL in Thailand.

In which countries is a CELTA actually required or even generally required? Not Japan, Korea, Taiwan, China, or Vietnam. From what I've heard, not Costa Rica nor Mexico. Middle East maybe? Europe? CELTA may be a recognizable 'brand,' but its magical power seems to be mythical. We've been told CELTA is the best for so long that we keep repeating it, but that doesn't make it so.

Thanks PB - straight up to the fickleness and no one said teaching anything well was easy (sure enough in Asia!) spot on.

I agree with BKK Hound - Europe and Thailand seems to be only place any sort of paper is required although China presses for it (hah). Middle East, Brunei.

Don't want to belabor the issue. Seems every country a mugs game. Students and teachers deserve better.

Final note: I think the whole ESL/EFL industry that has popped up in last five years is as much to blame for all this as anything.

The Jaundiced Eye

If you're going to do a TEFL you might as well (for the cost, time and trouble) get something that would actually be worth it.

So do either a TEFL International course or a CELTA.

I'd go for for the TESOL. Still hard work but I think they'd be more supportive than ECC.

S B

As most countries think of a TEFL as a post graduate qualification it doesn't really matter which one you do as it's your degree that often gets you the job the certificate is the icing.

TEFL Int is okay as is T&T as are the respective CELTA courses. As long as they have some kind of Western accreditation, the 100 plus hours class time (TEFL Int. just about get this I think as the OTP is within the course duration) and the 6-8 hours OTP you're generally good to go.

Personally I'd look to do training that makes you the best teacher you can be, and this isn't always the most popular/recognised (McDonalds is pretty well recognised, doesn't make it the best though :o ).

Most courses will let you spend time in them and it's a buyers market so use this to YOUR benefit.