Air Asia

gennisis

I have my boarding pass already printed,so since i have only cabin bag as luggage can I assume I have no need to queue at the desk but simply wait until the flight is called?

Its been a while since I flew AA so I am not aware of their arrangements thesedays

For document check at Suvarnabhumi, you don't need to queue with others with baggage. Proceed to the counters at the end of the island, show them your printed boarding pass and passport, then they'll stamp the former with a cute blue circle. After that off you go to the hour-long queue a.k.a passport control.

For document check at Suvarnabhumi, you don't need to queue with others with baggage. Proceed to the counters at the end of the island, show them your printed boarding pass and passport, then they'll stamp the former with a cute blue circle. After that off you go to the hour-long queue a.k.a passport control.

Thats right ! - and it is soul-destroying to fly with no checked bags, check-in on-line, print your own boarding and still have stand for an hour to go through immigration angry.png

It have completed the web check-in, have the print out, and only carry-on luggage, you do not need to goto the counters. Just proceed to the gate. You will still have to go through metal detection/search, and customs/immigration if leaving the country.

Thats right ! - and it is soul-destroying to fly with no checked bags, check-in on-line, print your own boarding and still have stand for an hour to go through immigration angry.png

Immigration and Customs are two separate entities, why would you combine them?

It have completed the web check-in, have the print out, and only carry-on luggage, you do not need to goto the counters. Just proceed to the gate. You will still have to go through metal detection/search, and customs/immigration if leaving the country.

even if you have checked-in online and have no luggage, you are still supposed to go to their no luggage desk, and have your passport checked - the airlines are required to do so - and have your boarding pass stamped. the reason why people are getting away with not doing it at bangkok airport is because the people checking boarding passes prior to entering passport control are not checking the stamps on the boarding passes, which means the airlines then have to check your passport prior to boarding at the gate instead. if you try the same thing at Kuala lumpur, they will send you back to the check-in desks to get your boarding pass stamped.

Agree, and anyway, Air Asia has nothing to do with the immigration.

Agree, and anyway, Air Asia has nothing to do with the immigration.

Quite right . . . I believe it is called entitlement . . .

even if you have checked-in online and have no luggage, you are still supposed to go to their no luggage desk, and have your passport checked - the airlines are required to do so - and have your boarding pass stamped. the reason why people are getting away with not doing it at bangkok airport is because the people checking boarding passes prior to entering passport control are not checking the stamps on the boarding passes, which means the airlines then have to check your passport prior to boarding at the gate instead. if you try the same thing at Kuala lumpur, they will send you back to the check-in desks to get your boarding pass stamped.

exactly !

I think only if you fly domestic you will not need to have your passport checked beforehand and can proceed to the boarding gate immediately.

AA website does not give clear information ?

Thats right ! - and it is soul-destroying to fly with no checked bags, check-in on-line, print your own boarding and still have stand for an hour to go through immigration angry.png.

I must have been a lucky boy 20 odd times but never had to wait 1 hour in the queue, I normally get through in 15-30 mins, although I know it can happen.

But at one occurence i had to wait for my luggage for 50 mins mellow.png

I must have been a lucky boy 20 odd times but never had to wait 1 hour in the queue, I normally get through in 15-30 mins, although I know it can happen.

But at one occurence i had to wait for my luggage for 50 mins mellow.png

Lucky indeed. My experience from last month's trip was that immigration inbound wasn't too bad - but the queues outbound were horrendous.

I've done it on a CNX > KUL flight, a KUL>PEN flight, a PEN > LGK flight, and a HDY > CNX in the last two weeks. There is no stamp or check in. They will tear away half of your boarding pass as you enter the plane, nothing more to do.

I think rather than taking a risk on what they clearly ask you to do, one should do as they say on the web printed boarding pass, particularly for international flights.

You will not know if some official further down the line knows & sticks to the correct method and turns you around.

Is the document check counter so diificult to do the check?

I haven't observed for a while but imagine it should be way quicker than the normal check-in counters,

post-18184-0-39569600-1329780355_thumb.j

Edited by fishhooks

When I'm in this situation, I usually have friends who have to check-in, so I wait in line with them. Every time it's happened in BKK, they tell me that I don't need to do anything, and that my documents will be "verified" at the gate. In Kuala Lumpur, they have a "Verify Documents" desk in the gate area of the LCCT. I've never been sent back to the check-in area....only told to verify my documents at the desk near the gates.

When I'm in this situation, I usually have friends who have to check-in, so I wait in line with them. Every time it's happened in BKK, they tell me that I don't need to do anything, and that my documents will be "verified" at the gate. In Kuala Lumpur, they have a "Verify Documents" desk in the gate area of the LCCT. I've never been sent back to the check-in area....only told to verify my documents at the desk near the gates.

Yes, it had slipped my mind: they added a verification counter at the gates in KL, so now you can just go straight through. But LCCT in KL was purpose built for Airasia, as it is the hub of their operations, so they can do pretty much what they want there - they will not be afforded the same facilities at other airports, so you should be checking in at the front desks. Just because you check-in on line the day before, does not guarantee you will not be a 'no show'. By having your passport checked at the front desks, the Airlines know you are actually at the Airport. If you just go through and arrive late at the gate, as most people do, because they are delayed at passport control and/or spend too much time in the duty free shops, the Airlines have no idea where you are. so do the right thing and check-in at the front desks, even if you have no luggage, because you could potentially delay the departure time if you do not - it's only a few minutes in the queue.

so do the right thing and check-in at the front desks, even if you have no luggage, because you could potentially delay the departure time if you do not - it's only a few minutes in the queue.

I don't disagree with you. I always stop by the check-in counter because I'm too chicken to take the chance on just going to the gate. For me it's not worth the risk. But as I said in my previous post, in Bangkok they won't LET me check-in at the front desks! When they glance at my boarding pass, they tell me just to go to the gate.

so do the right thing and check-in at the front desks, even if you have no luggage, because you could potentially delay the departure time if you do not - it's only a few minutes in the queue.

I don't disagree with you. I always stop by the check-in counter because I'm too chicken to take the chance on just going to the gate. For me it's not worth the risk. But as I said in my previous post, in Bangkok they won't LET me check-in at the front desks! When they glance at my boarding pass, they tell me just to go to the gate.

are you going to the desk for people with no luggage? you said previously you were queuing with your friends with luggage.