Plodprasop: Bangkok Residents Should Pack And Flee If Floodwaters Reach Ayutthaya's Wang Noi

webfact

Bangkokians should pack and flee if floodwaters reach Ayutthaya's Wang Noi: Plodprasop

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Science Minister Plodprasop Suraswadi Monday advised Bangkokians to start packing their belongings and getting prepared to flee if upstream floodwaters have reached Wang Noi district of Ayutthaya.

He gave the advice while answering a senator's question about the government's flood-prevention measures.

Plodprasop said Thailand was expected to be hit by heavy rains and at least three tropical storms, expecting to generate some 50 to 60 billion cubic metres of floodwaters.

He said forests and dams would absorb most of waters and would leave about 15 billion cubic metres to be handled by flood-retention areas prepared by the government.

He said about 10 billion cubit metres of floodwaters would have to be drained through main rivers, like Tha Chin, Chao Phraya and Bang Pakong.

So, if the deluge of remaining floodwaters could not be drained via rivers and reach Wang Noi, Bangkok would be flooded.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-02-20

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn t this the guy who proposed using boats to push water downstream.? Whatever.

Anyway, these projections should allow him to be known by another new name, Noah or Evan Almighty, and while he is out there telling everyone in Bangkok to build boats, similar to the one he no doubt will be paying his ill gotten gains towards building, he can tell everyone to fit massive big engines in them, and get them all down to the river to help move the deluge downstream .

How the hell has this guy managed to get these figures, when it has recently been admitted, that the Met office in Thailand hasn t much more computer power than a home PC. Obviously, everyone will be quivering on their Lilos as a result of such predictions from such a twerp as this guy.

Edited by daiwill60
  • Like 1

Although, the folks living in high risk flood areas should know and there is nothing wrong with reminders, I don't get the worry considering Thailand just experienced the worst rain in 50-years without inner Bangkok being submerged as well as there being a lot of infrastructure put in place over the last decades to curb floods in a country and city prone to flooding.

At the same time I don't understand the negative comments attributed to a warning for the public to be prepared. I think it is very normal for government officials warning its citizens to prepare to evacuate under certain conditions such as a hurricane moving in a particular course of of course if flood waters reach a certain level or location. What makes this kind of odd too is all the negative comments during the previously flooding that there was not enough warnings. So, now here are early warning to prepare and they are criticized.

Although, the folks living in high risk flood areas should know and there is nothing wrong with reminders, I don't get the worry considering Thailand just experienced the worst rain in 50-years without inner Bangkok being submerged as well as there being a lot of infrastructure put in place over the last decades to curb floods in a country and city prone to flooding.

At the same time I don't understand the negative comments attributed to a warning for the public to be prepared. I think it is very normal for government officials warning its citizens to prepare to evacuate under certain conditions such as a hurricane moving in a particular course of of course if flood waters reach a certain level or location. What makes this kind of odd too is all the negative comments during the previously flooding that there was not enough warnings. So, now here are early warning to prepare and they are criticized.

One day the world will end. Be sure you're wearing clean underwear.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/505262-thai-pm-moves-to-soothe-bangkok-flood-panic/

BANGKOK, October 14, 2011 (AFP) - Thailand's premier moved Friday to reassure Bangkok's 12 million residents over a looming flood crisis, after one of her ministers briefly sparked panic with an evacuation warning. Science minister Plodprasop Suraswadi rushed out of a flood briefing late Thursday to say that several areas in Bangkok's northern suburbs were at risk of being submerged by up to one meter (3.3 feet) of water after a dyke burst. But the authorities quickly backtracked, causing confusion among residents who have been braced for floodwaters to reach the capital after causing havoc across northern and central Thailand, leaving at least 289 people dead.

Edited by Reasonableman

Come to think of it, isn't it supposed to end this year? This is 2012, why are people even concerned with a little flooding from the north?

• Like 1

Come to think of it, isn't it supposed to end this year? This is 2012, why are people even concerned with a little flooding from the north?

It can't end this year, its been put back to 2015 due to ASEAN.

• Like 1

Seriously, can anyone explain how this complete arse got to be the Science Minister?

It took years & lots of practice, remember the 'exotic-meat buffet' proposal, at Chiang Mai Night-Safari ? ohmy.png

Exactly. He must know someone.

Edited by bigbamboo

...he said forests and dams would absorb most......and leave about 15 million cubic metres to be handled by flood retention areas prepared by the Government......

....prepared when exactly...? after the last flood occurred?.........before the last flood ?....still being prepared?.......about to be prepared?

These areas were cleverly identified in the previous flood, and will be used again. If you live in Ayuthaya, buy a snorkel, because you've already been forewarned

...he said forests and dams would absorb most......and leave about 15 million cubic metres to be handled by flood retention areas prepared by the Government......

....prepared when exactly...? after the last flood occurred?.........before the last flood ?....still being prepared?.......about to be prepared?

Edited by Reasonableman

Seriously, can anyone explain how this complete arse got to be the Science Minister?

It took years & lots of practice, remember the 'exotic-meat buffet' proposal, at Chiang Mai Night-Safari ? ohmy.png

Exactly. He must know someone.

Hum, a poo-yai from Chiang Mai, now who could that possibly be ... ? wink.png