Scotch Eggs

MiG16

Ive never tried it before, but just saw some pics and they Iook quite appeaIing

[in fact I now have a craving haha can we crave for something we have not tried??]

so those in the know - what can i expect? wiII it be bIand? im thai so used to everything being spicy :D

is the sausage used a specific type? or any sausage can be used?

is it served with some kind of sauce? kinda pasta sauce type I mean, not ketchup or chiIi sauce

I dont pIan to make it myseIf wiII try in a restaurant first and then see if I can get Mom to attempt to make them :D

what eggs do they tend to use for this dish? chicken? duck? quaiI?

thanks everyone

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes I googIed and it said boiIed eggs in sausage

the picture Iooks a IittIe Iike the thai 'khai Iuk-keoy' which is basicaIIy boiIed egg that is then deep fried [just so the outside is brown and a bit crispy], served in tamarind and paIm sugar sauce

the scotch version has meat added to it, and someone said breadcrumbs, that means you deep fry it too?

i think I might have had something simiIar then it wiII come to me - something Mom used to make when I was a teeny tiny toddIer

PS cardhoIder - where is chaiyapruk 2?

it is a boiled egg wrapped in sauasge meat (sour?), then coated again in breadcrumbs and , er deep fried , please see Pizza Scottish .

thats why I ask what sausage do they tend to use for this dish?

theres so many variety - the spicy type chorizo? the german types? I dont know what traditionaI scottish sausages are Iike, so trying to get a sense of what sort of fIavours I can expect smile.png

what sort of meaI wouId you eat this at?

a heavy snack? big breakfast? Iunch with no other carbs needed?

edit to add that the more I taIk about it, the more yummy it is sounding!! hope Im not over-buiIding my expectation :P

it is a boiled egg wrapped in sauasge meat (sour?), then coated again in breadcrumbs and , er deep fried , please see Pizza Scottish .

theres so many variety - the spicy type chorizo? the german types? I dont know what traditionaI scottish sausages are Iike, so trying to get a sense of what sort of fIavours I can expect smile.png

edit to add that the more I taIk about it, the more yummy it is sounding!! hope Im not over-buiIding my expectation

Usually pork sausage meat seasoned with a little black pepper and salt,a few other things to hold it all together,served as a snack mainly found at birthday parties,Xmas parties and in the school packed lunch,coming in large size and mini.

edit to add that the more I taIk about it, the more yummy it is sounding!! hope Im not over-buiIding my expectation :P

I would say any old sausage . I like the idea of a sour garlic or spicy sour , but when I made this recipe at my home economics class circa 1980 it was only seasoned pork mince and boiled egg . Chorizo was a Scots lads unknown luxury .

coming in large size and mini.

stoneyboy - does that mean different types of eggs are used?

after Ive tried the scottish version from shop or pub somewhere then wiII think about modifications

i imagine they are usuaIIy made with chicken egg, but I Iove Iove Iove quaiI eggs in savoury dishes [have substituted in thai dishes such as 'khai pha-Io' and it worked reaIIy weII so that wouId be my aIternative recipe

licklips.gif

I shaII be on a quest

suggestions weIcome!

after Ive tried the scottish version from shop or pub somewhere then wiII think about modifications

i imagine they are usuaIIy made with chicken egg, but I Iove Iove Iove quaiI eggs in savoury dishes [have substituted in thai dishes such as 'khai pha-Io' and it worked reaIIy weII so that wouId be my aIternative recipe

licklips.gif

I shaII be on a quest

suggestions weIcome!

Firstly, these AREN'T Scottish in origin. They originate in the Middle East/Indian subcontinent.

The word "Scotch" being the VERB

Heres a recipe for "Nargis Kebabs"

All the way from India:

Ingredients (makes 4)
5 free-range eggs, plus 1 egg yolk
250g minced beef or lamb
2 garlic cloves, peeled, crushed
2.5cm/1in piece root ginger, peeled, grated
½ tsp ground coriander
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp chilli powder
¼ tsp ground cloves
1 tbsp cornflour
salt
2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp sesame seeds
vegetable oil for shallow frying
Method
7. Bring a large pan of water to the boil and cook 4 of the eggs for 4-5 minutes until they are
medium- to hard-boiled. Drain and cool under cold running water (this will prevent the yolks from
discolouring). Peel and set aside. Beat the remaining egg in a bowl and set aside.
8. In a bowl, mix together the minced beef, garlic, ginger, spices, cornflour and egg yolk until well
combined. Season, to taste, with salt.
9. Divide the beef mixture evenly into 4 portions. Roll each portion into a ball, then flatten out to
form a thin patty. Wrap each patty around the peeled boiled eggs, smoothing out the join and making
sure there is no egg left exposed.
10. Roll the scotch eggs in the flour, then dip in the beaten egg and roll in the sesame seeds.
11. Half-fill a frying pan with the vegetable oil and heat until hot. (CAUTION: hot oil can be
dangerous. Do not leave unattended). Fry the nargis kebabs in small batches for 4-5 minutes, turning
the eggs occasionally, or until golden-brown all over and cooked through. Remove from the oil with a
slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.

I would think the quails egg would be a bit too fiddly, and small to use in a scotch egg, tbh. But i bet it would taste great !!!!!

Penkoprod

the picture Iooks a IittIe Iike the thai 'khai Iuk-keoy' which is basicaIIy boiIed egg that is then deep fried [just so the outside is brown and a bit crispy], served in tamarind and paIm sugar sauce

Is that 'mother-in-laws eggs'? If so Scotch Eggs are nothing like them.

Dare anyone scotch yer egg mindedness >? LOL

licklips.gif

I shaII be on a quest

suggestions weIcome!

Firstly, these AREN'T Scottish in origin. They originate in the Middle East/Indian subcontinent.

The word "Scotch" being the VERB

Heres a recipe for "Nargis Kebabs"

All the way from India:

Ingredients (makes 4)
5 free-range eggs, plus 1 egg yolk
250g minced beef or lamb
2 garlic cloves, peeled, crushed
2.5cm/1in piece root ginger, peeled, grated
½ tsp ground coriander
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp chilli powder
¼ tsp ground cloves
1 tbsp cornflour
salt
2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp sesame seeds
vegetable oil for shallow frying
Method
7. Bring a large pan of water to the boil and cook 4 of the eggs for 4-5 minutes until they are
medium- to hard-boiled. Drain and cool under cold running water (this will prevent the yolks from
discolouring). Peel and set aside. Beat the remaining egg in a bowl and set aside.
8. In a bowl, mix together the minced beef, garlic, ginger, spices, cornflour and egg yolk until well
combined. Season, to taste, with salt.
9. Divide the beef mixture evenly into 4 portions. Roll each portion into a ball, then flatten out to
form a thin patty. Wrap each patty around the peeled boiled eggs, smoothing out the join and making
sure there is no egg left exposed.
10. Roll the scotch eggs in the flour, then dip in the beaten egg and roll in the sesame seeds.
11. Half-fill a frying pan with the vegetable oil and heat until hot. (CAUTION: hot oil can be
dangerous. Do not leave unattended). Fry the nargis kebabs in small batches for 4-5 minutes, turning
the eggs occasionally, or until golden-brown all over and cooked through. Remove from the oil with a
slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.

I would think the quails egg would be a bit too fiddly, and small to use in a scotch egg, tbh. But i bet it would taste great !!!!!

Penkoprod

Nargisi Kofta....not kebabs...

the ones I make include a curry gravy that is thickened with ground cashew.

post-62785-0-19268500-1329772973_thumb.j

In the UK they are sometimes called Kebabs

Interesting.

We yanks pretty much think of kebabs as being something on a skewer. In the MidEast, "kebab" seems to mean "chunks of meat" - which can be on or off skewers, grilled, stewed (no skewers), roasted, etc. Kofta (Indian) or Kafta (Arabic) means "ball" essentially, whether meat, paneer, lentils, chickpeas, etc...

More or less the same result, thoughwink.png

Indeed.

...And according to wikipedia

"Scotch Eggs"

Origin

The London department store Fortnum & Mason claims to have invented Scotch eggs in 1738,[1][2] but they may have been inspired by the Moghul dish nargisi kofta ("Narcissus meatballs").[3]

The earliest printed recipe is the 1809 edition of Mrs. Rundell's A New System of Domestic Cookery. Mrs. Rundell - and later 19th-century authors - served them hot, with gravy.[4]

Nanafoods

Those pics look yummy

And from the pics I now think the original chicken eggs ones look more appealing than the quail eggs ones. (more solid and substantial). Hey I'm a woman, I'm allowed to change my mind!! :P

So where's the best place to find them in Bkk?

(and yes now I remember where I had something similar as a kid - it was the Indian curry version. Hencewhy I asked if it's served with any kind of pasta-ish sauce)

Son in law egg :P

And yes those are sweet- ish

Thanks to everyone that posted recipes. I maybe able to sell them even before I've managed to taste the thing. Haha. Already have a buyer :D

the scotch version has meat added to it, and someone said breadcrumbs, that means you deep fry it too?

i think I might have had something simiIar then it wiII come to me - something Mom used to make when I was a teeny tiny toddIer

PS cardhoIder - where is chaiyapruk 2?

Sorry - Chaiyapruk 2 is in Pattaya/Jomtien. Off the Sukamvit Road(heading to Sattahip) to the left after Makro and Aquarium

Well,I lived in UK for 65 years and I never heard or saw a Scotch Egg called a Kebab..A Kebab is on a stick or screwer so maybe your "kebab' is a Scotch Egg Lollipop??

• Like 1

Well,I lived in UK for 65 years and I never heard or saw a Scotch Egg called a Kebab..A Kebab is on a stick or screwer so maybe your "kebab' is a Scotch Egg Lollipop??

Well, heres another link to a recipe for a dish called "Nargasi Kebab" with pic.

http://www.evernewrecipes.com/barbeque-recipes/nargasi-kebab-recipe.html

And one from the BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/nargiskebabs_93344

I'm American and have travelled quite a bit on business. The best ever sctoch egss that I have ever had are not "hardboiled". They are soft boiled and served hot ritght out of the fryer, When you cut into then the soft yolk of the egg envelopes the sausage and whatever it is presented on. I've tried making them myself but ended up with a egg and sausage stir fry, still tasted good, but not a scotch egg!

I'm American and have travelled quite a bit on business. The best ever sctoch egss that I have ever had are not "hardboiled". They are soft boiled and served hot ritght out of the fryer, When you cut into then the soft yolk of the egg envelopes the sausage and whatever it is presented on. I've tried making them myself but ended up with a egg and sausage stir fry, still tasted good, but not a scotch egg!

As you say, there are a few variants to the dish. The "runny yolk" one being a good one

I've also heard of them being put in an oven and roasted for 30 mins, instead of being fried (with just a light brushing of oil to the top of them)

Nanafoods

Those pics look yummy

And from the pics I now think the original chicken eggs ones look more appealing than the quail eggs ones. (more solid and substantial). Hey I'm a woman, I'm allowed to change my mind!! tongue.png

So where's the best place to find them in Bkk?

(and yes now I remember where I had something similar as a kid - it was the Indian curry version. Hencewhy I asked if it's served with any kind of pasta-ish sauce)

I agree with you, based on the pic I posted, that the quail egg minis dont look particularly appetizing - especially the birdseed coating!! I imagine a std breadcrumb coating would make them more appealing.

As for BKK.... no idea... I live upcountry. Anything beyond mu gratiem, phad graprao or gui-tiew I have to cook myself.

However, these Scotch Eggs do not look very difficult to make. If you can boil an egg, the hardest part would be to find or make the sausage.

I have been using this method for making Perfect Boiled Eggs since I stumbled across this article.

For the Cumberland sausage covered eggs variation - see attached recipe.

English Cumberland.pdf

• Like 1

thanks wayned

theres another place that has the dish for THB 250 :lol:

i wasnt planning on spending 250 baht for a couple of boiled eggs, no matter how good they look HAHA

so....maybe if a certain scot wants to take me to this soi 8 pub when he delivers proper chocolates that are not expiring :whistling: