Marriott Hotel Problem

paulklee

Anyone know about this? We have vouchers for discounted stays at selected hotels in the Marriott Hotels Group. These are the usual vouchers given to members of their loyalty card scheme. Fully transferable, valid until October. We have used lots of these vouchers in the past at the Cha-Am (Hua Hin) Courtyard Resort cos it has great kids facilities and a good safe-enough pool. However, the hotel says the vouchers are now valid only until the end of March cos a new hotel chain is taking over. Which chain? Won't say. Marriott Member scheme number in Bangkok say the same: validity now only until end March. Which chain is taking over? Wont say. NB This "take-over" is happening in about 5 weeks and they won't say? Seems a bit strange.

I'm well aware that the Ts&Cs say "the conditions of use and the list of participating hotels may subject to change without prior notice" but this seems a shoddy way for a large international premium hotel chain to behave. Even although individual hotels are added and deleted from large hotel chains lists from time to time, it's surely better to honour your members loyalty cards at their hotel of choice, cos that hotel is maybe why they joined the scheme in the first place!

Anyway, two questions: Does anybody know what's going on at Marriott Cha-Am, what chain? Any other Marriott hotel in Thailand with the same kind of facilities, beach, kid-focussed, safe pool, casual? Thanks for any feedback. End of March is a bit of a rush for us.

Wow! Many thanks for that informative link but the list of hotels doesn't include Thailand? Also, it seems that only the Cha Am hotel is involved in this take-over and the vouchers are still valid to their expiry date at the other hotels (whether that's ALL other hotels listed in Asia or you have to phone them one-by-one to check, I don't know).

This Cha Am problem I suppose must be something to do with the contract between the owner and the operator (Marriott), anyone know?

Marriott and the owners have had differences in views (to say it nicely), since the take over at Cha Am and 3 other Court Yards in Phuket that they manage all for one owner.

Both parties have agreed to part ways and the owner has all 4 hotels up for sale.

There were some articles on this in the Phuket Gazette a while ago.

Marriott and the owners have had differences in views (to say it nicely), since the take over at Cha Am and 3 other Court Yards in Phuket that they manage all for one owner.

Both parties have agreed to part ways and the owner has all 4 hotels up for sale.

There were some articles on this in the Phuket Gazette a while ago.

They will part ways end of this march as april the 1st is the begining of the financial year

I feel this link is more appropriate..http://www.thephuketinsider.com/hotels/marriott-courtyard-destination-properties-part-ways.php

It affects 4 properties in Thailand.... 3 on Phuket and, yes, the one in Hua Hin. The owners of the properties (Marriott does not own hotels) has put them for sale. Therefore the agreement for those properties will end and consequently MRP points and vouchers . CBRE are handling the sales I believe and it has attracted a number of interested investors.

Also being discussed here .....http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1298510-marriott-losing-courtyards-thailand.html

I hope this clarifies things.

Marriot Hua Hin, Pattaya, JW Phuket and the ex Marriot Riverside Bangkok are all owned by Minor Group of companies lead by Bill Heinecke.

He also owns the Anantara Brand of hotels. Which Marriot Riverside is being rebranded to.

Bill also owns all the 4 seasons hotels in Thailand. Which is managed by 4 seasons. He created and owns the Pizza Company and all stores and franchises businesses like Swensons, Burger King and several other franchises.

Many thanks for the info about this topic, I now understand. Pretty dynamic business, the hotel trade! Just the one last question at the end of the message above: "Any other Marriott hotel in Thailand with the same kind of facilities, beach, kid-focused, safe pool, casual?" I'd much prefer someone's personal recommendation on this rather than a website puff. Much appreciated.