Thai Rung All-Roader

northend_boyz

Hi All,

Wifey and i just had a baby boy and are now in the search for a new vehicle.

I originally wanted just a second sedan (because of price) but my wife convinced me that a larger vehicle would suit us better. 600 000 baht range no longer an option!!

Checked out the Azanza and APV, took test rides... and no thank you!!! Drive cheap and look cheap!!! 700 000 baht range no longer an option!!

Ford Ranger... my dream vehicle. Wifey, "no, pick up trucks" Me, "please, they are affordable and size is good for a family of 3" Wifey, "No" Me, "Come on" Wifey, "NO"

800 000 baht range no longer an option!!

That leaves me at the 900 000 baht range. There are some decent MPV's in that price range. Freed and Innova, for example. They'd suit our purpose. However, i bumped into the Thai Rung website and found the TR All-roader..... it looks very intersesting and seems to satisfy both of our needs. I'd like a pick-up and she wants room, perfect. Price: decent. I'd rather pay that type of money for the All-roader than an MPV. But i don't see any of these on the road (been looking for weeks) and very little info/reviews on them on the net. Does anyone here have any experience with this tank or have heard anything about them? I'd appreciate any info, good or bad.

Also any other recommandations would be welcomed... but i won't hit a million baht.

Thanks

Back on topic, I agree with KBB, I think the OP should show who's wearing the trousers & order the Ranger. Stick a canopy on the back & you've got luggage storage & plenty of room on the back seat for the little one & their future sibling wink.png I'm about to order one, & it's the perfect family vehicle smile.png

Edited by MESmith

Great advice for others. Remember, wives often wear trousers as well, and it the OP has an interest in getting his out of hers any time soon, he may consider treading lightly. That said, book a test drive in a loaded Mazda, stop by while she's in the car and she might warm up to the pickup idea.

800 000 baht range no longer an option!! + Wifey, "no, pick up trucks"

Why ? the Chevrolet Allroader starts @ 820,000 ... The top Z71 fully loaded with leather etc is under 1 million.

The Isuzu Adventurer is more expensive by over 100k

Both are the pickups so can fool the 'Wifey' but TR has put on there Estate 7 seat body........... big shorter than the pickup [if you look at one the back wheels has very little body over hang]....... The minus points.. All body parts and trim must be bought from TR = very expensive.... Also a bit top heavy

Expect new models of the Allroader to start surfacing within the next few months (based on the new Chev/Isuzu pickups). IMHO, great value but only if it's going to be a keeper (resale sucks).

Another option is the 2.4L 5MT gasoline Pajero Sport SUV (915K) - comparable to MPV's for performance and FE (i.e. not fantastic), but much more versatile, and likely better resale, as SUV's are way more popular the MPV's in TH, and the PJS is the best seller..

Back to the Allroader, while it has absolutely zero street cred and poor resale as a result, it's cheap to buy, and cheap to run, and if using an Isuzu engine, it'll last practically forever.. Where it suffers is fit & finish (don't look too closely, heh), NVH, and general driving manners. Some of these negatives should improve with the new generation though.

post-42643-0-47723000-1329959838_thumb.j

Another option, many on the roads, Thai friend has one say a very fine cheap motoring, done high mileage and never missed a beat.

Proton Exora 7 seats, starts @ 650,000 manual, top of the range Auto is 815,000 baht.

Edited by ignis

Another option, many on the roads, Thai friend has one say a very fine cheap motoring, done high mileage and never missed a beat.

Proton Exora 7 seats, starts @ 650,000 manual, top of the range Auto is 815,000 baht.

popular as taxis here in Phuket, taxi guys say there are no major issues, some of them do more than 100k km a year

Back to the Allroader, while it has absolutely zero street cred and poor resale as a result, it's cheap to buy, and cheap to run, and if using an Isuzu engine, it'll last practically forever.. Where it suffers is fit & finish (don't look too closely, heh), NVH, and general driving manners. Some of these negatives should improve with the new generation though.

I have no idea so asking, will there be a NEW Allroader ? as Chevrolet are coming out with there own pickup based 7 seater ?

Chevrolet:

2012: All-new Trailblazer - to be unveiled in March

Can I suggest the OP goes to the dealer himself, alone, and buys a car without his wife? She can buy her own car.

I always ask my wife's opinion on the car,color etc,but at the end it's always my choice and she will gladly agree...what I've learned here wifes always want the most expensive thing they can get,no matter what it is...they can sell it for morewink.png

I have no idea so asking, will there be a NEW Allroader ? as Chevrolet are coming out with there own pickup based 7 seater ?

Chevrolet:

Well, there will definitely be a new Thairung... Whether it will still be called the Allroader isn't yet known though ;)

Chevrolet:

Well, there will definitely be a new Thairung... Whether it will still be called the Allroader isn't yet known though ;)

Od they havent done any Navara suv, the old Nissan pickup as suv by Thairung didnt sell that bad

Thanks for the useful info!!! TR All-roader sounds right for us, but i'll give the Pajero Sport SUV a look. My plan is to purchase a vehicle at the Motor Show in March. So it'd be nice if TR unveiled the new model there. Wife's on maternity but will be back to work in April so need a second car by then so can't wait.

Main problem i see is the price of body parts. Does that mean insurance is expensive?

I'm still fighting for the Ranger and won't stop until the motorshow. For those telling me to man up, my wife has a strong personality and thats one of the reasons i married her.

Anyways, thank you all for the replies.

basicly a cheap isuzu mu7

if the specs suits you, its fine

and i would rather get this than freed or innova

but what you really need to do is to stand up as a man, and get a 799k baht ranger and a pink fino for wify

A couple years back was looking for a new Isuzu Jackaroo/Trooper and all searches came up with the Thai Rung as the replacement .....seemed a bit too SUV rather than a the more truckie Jackaroo..The BT50 is very SUV like inside ( Mazda hypes that in some of their literature) and may well please the wife..it's also got "pretty eyes" too ..right KBB?...lol

but what you really need to do is to stand up as a man, and get a 799k baht ranger and a pink fino for wify

A couple years back was looking for a new Isuzu Jackaroo/Trooper and all searches came up with the Thai Rung as the replacement .....seemed a bit too SUV rather than a the more truckie Jackaroo.

The Trooper's actual replacement is the MU-7... Both were/are pickup-based SUV's

I think a sort of black/green/yellow gooey finish Fino is more appropriate .

Did they build them both for a while? I know they marketed the Trooper in the US for a while

In Thailand, production of the Trooper ended in Q3 2004 when the MU-7 production began. There were still Troopers in showrooms up until around mid-2005 though, so both were on the floor together for a short while....

My wife did a bit of research on Thairung vehicles, and she came across 2 or 3 reviews that say thairung vehicles are assembled poorly and as a result start to squeak after a few years. I'm not if i should worry.

Anyways, we called Thairung and according to the main office there are less than 10 allroaders left for sale. They offered a decent deal so considering it. Will negotiate more...

How much is the MU7?

Does anyone know the price range for the Trailblazer?