Bangkok Blasts Seen Not To Spoil Tourism

webfact

Bangkok Blasts Seen Not to Spoil Tourism

BANGKOK: -- The Tourism Authority of Thailand is downplaying the impact that the triple bomb blasts in Bangkok has had on tourism, as the country is still seeing a steady stream of international visitors. It estimates tourist arrivals will surpass 20 million this year, which should bring in 800 billion baht in revenue for the country.

Tourism Authority of Thailand, or TAT, Governor Suraphon Svetasreni said regarding the triple bomb blasts in Bangkok's Sukhumvit area that his organization has appointed a team to monitor updates concerning the situation and reports that the tourism sector has not felt any significant impact.

He noted that a few hotel bookings were canceled, but that they were not related to the bombings.

Regarding calls by several agencies for more stringent security procedures for international travelers, the TAT governor said Thailand already has strict immigration rules in place, but that the suggestions will be taken into consideration.

Suraphon affirmed that Thailand's tourism has seen continuous growth, with local tourism expected to expand four to five percent and generate 440 billion in revenue. The number of tourist arrivals is expected to be 20.5 million, an increase of seven percent. International visitors are expected to contribute 800 billion baht in revenue to the economy, up nine percent from last year.

The TAT recently released the second edition of its Bangkok travel guide, which features celebrities introducing readers to tourist attractions, places to eat and accommodations in the Thai capital. The book is part of a campaign to promote tourism in Bangkok after the city was voted the winner of the "World's Best" Award by Travel & Leisure magazine last year.

A total of 10,000 copies of the travel guidebook will be made available. To get a free copy, visit the TAT head office on New Petchburi Road and show your identification card at the registration counter, or download an electronic version at www.tatbangkok.com.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-02-22

footer_n.gif

Yea, the botched "criminal" acts (it was not terrorism) had no affect on tourism; nor did the Lebonese with a shop-house full of explosives; nor did the floods; nor the red-shirt demonstrations; nor the yellow-shirt demonstrations and airport closures; nor the coup; nor the international financial meltdown; etc. Nothing affects Thai tourism; just ask TAT. After all, they are paid to increase tourism, and so that's what the numbers show they are doing. Any questions?

Oh... and too bad about the Russian Tour Company and Aussie Airline going bankrupt and stranding hundreds; just isolated bad management in TAT's days of wine and roses.

Yea, the botched "criminal" acts (it was not terrorism) had no affect on tourism; nor did the Lebonese with a shop-house full of explosives; nor did the floods; nor the red-shirt demonstrations; nor the yellow-shirt demonstrations and airport closures; nor the coup; nor the international financial meltdown; etc. Nothing affects Thai tourism; just ask TAT. After all, they are paid to increase tourism, and so that's what the numbers show they are doing. Any questions?

Oh... and too bad about the Russian Tour Company and Aussie Airline going bankrupt and stranding hundreds; just isolated bad management in TAT's days of wine and roses.

I understand the sarcasm but the bottom line is tourism continues to trend up in Thailand at a great pace and this is just fact. I highly doubt these two incidents will put any kind of dent in tourism but of course during the floods and riots there was a drop but it doesn't seem to effect the overall trend of Thailand's tourism increasing each year. You and others can be as skeptical as you want but the numbers, especially when it comes to international visitors, are easily verifiable ... unless you want to believe the airlines and immigration are all conspiring with TAT to keep TAT from getting additional funds since things are going so well. If TAT wanted a larger budget they would have a much better shot at getting it by saying tourism was down each time there was any kind of incident.

And TATs bad management regarding foreign companies going under and stranding people? That is an odd statement. TAT is not the embassy of foreigners where they should go if they are broke and cannot find a way home.

• Like 1

Nisa I agree with your post, but what about reports from random hotels saying their occupancy levels are much lower compared to previous years?

We all have to agree that there is a MAJOR flaw in the tourist counts, as they are actually just border crossings that are being tallied. But since the trend is upward, maybe more residents of Thailand are visiting other countries. That would explain lower occupancy at hotels and higher border crossing numbers. Just throwing an idea out.

This thread will no doubt turn into the typical terrible TV thread.

I noticed shortly after the incident there were lots of seats opened up on cathay pacific from hkg to bkk.

Perhaps Cathay just substituted a larger jet so it appeared to have more vacant seats.

Anytime somebody says "I saw smaller numbers with my own eyes", I have to take it with a grain of salt. One person, on one day, on one jet, saw one thing happen.

It estimates tourist arrivals will surpass 20 million this year, which should bring in 800 billion baht in revenue for the country.

800 billion and 20 million tourists, means that the average tourist spends 40,000 baht while in Thailand. They've said before that the average tourist stays 7 days, so the average spending is about 6000 baht per person per day. This seems very high to me given the huge number of low budget Asians, Euro families that share accommodations, and backpackers

Don't think TAT had anything to do with a Russian company and an Ausie company crashing out; TAT figures are questionable, but hey

Thank God for this great news. A bomb factory exploded close to where I live and one of the bomb makers blew himself up while throwing granades in the main road but at long as the most important issue that tourism isnt affected me and my family can sleep easy at night. I assume the Thai government will continue to ignore and deny terrorist threats such as these just so long as more people promise to come here and bring their lovely foreign currency with them.

And this would be the same tourist sector that the Thai government says only makes up a small percentage of the Thai economy and isnt important, right??

A total of 10,000 copies of the travel guidebook will be made available. To get a free copy, visit the TAT head office on New Petchburi Road and show your identification card at the registration counter, or download an electronic version at www.tatbangkok.com.

Anyone who tried and found the electronic version? I can' find it on either the Thai or English pages

( http://tatbangkok.com/th/index.php or http://tatbangkok.com/en/index.php )

It estimates tourist arrivals will surpass 20 million this year, which should bring in 800 billion baht in revenue for the country.

800 billion and 20 million tourists, means that the average tourist spends 40,000 baht while in Thailand. They've said before that the average tourist stays 7 days, so the average spending is about 6000 baht per person per day. This seems very high to me given the huge number of low budget Asians, Euro families that share accommodations, and backpackers

$200 per day is not impossible, however, they are just estimates.

For an upscale traveller, they could easily spend $200 per day without ever leaving their hotel.

Mid-range couple might spend $45 each for hotel ($90 room), maybe 500 baht per meal so $35, some beer $10, transport $10, entertainment $30, and departure tax $15 (I think it's 500 baht). Total $145

Backpacker, $15 each for shared room, $10 for food, $15 for beer, transport $15, departure tax $15. Total $70

Those numbers dont even include shopping. What about medical tourism? Sex changes and breast implants aren't exactly cheap. Golfing isn't exactly cheap. Domestic flight to Phuket/Chiang Mai. The mongers surely spend more on their mongering.

So I think their Baht numbers are reasonable, perhaps a tiny bit high.

And this would be the same tourist sector that the Thai government says only makes up a small percentage of the Thai economy and isnt important, right??

Right

Edited by IsaanUSA

The Gross Domestic Product (GDP) in Thailand contracted 10.7 percent in the fourth quarter of 2011 over the previous quarter,this meant full-year GDP grew just 0.1% in 2011. We still forecast that Thailand’s economy will expand by 4.5 per cent this year,” economists added.

Since then, the government of Yingluck Shinawatra, elected in July 2011 has announced that it will increase the 2012 budget deficit for the fiscal year to September 2012 to THB 400 billion (3.7% of GDP), from THB 350 billion (3.3% of GDP). So the only growth areas in the Thai economy for 2012 are tourism and debt. So as stated in the news item, international visitors generate 800 billion baht in revenue, up 7% and domestic tourists generate 440 billion baht up 5% for a total of 1240 billion baht or 1.2 trillion or 12% of GDP.

Edited by Rimmer
DO NOT use oversize fonts in your reply

For an upscale traveller, they could easily spend $200 per day without ever leaving their hotel.

Mid-range couple might spend $45 each for hotel ($90 room), maybe 500 baht per meal so $35, some beer $10, transport $10, entertainment $30, and departure tax $15 (I think it's 500 baht). Total $145

Backpacker, $15 each for shared room, $10 for food, $15 for beer, transport $15, departure tax $15. Total $70

Those numbers dont even include shopping. What about medical tourism? Sex changes and breast implants aren't exactly cheap. Golfing isn't exactly cheap. Domestic flight to Phuket/Chiang Mai. The mongers surely spend more on their mongering.

I am by no means a high-end traveler but when people go on big (over seas) vacation for a week, $200 is nothing to average a day. Don't forget too if they are flying in on a Thai airlines that is likely considered money spent here too. Then you do have the high-end travelers, including business folks, who drop a heck of a lot more than that. Of course there is the backpacker bunch too but the ones hanging around Kason road seem to be spending too .. especially when it comes to beer.

As far as I know, the globally and internally accepted figure is that the tourism sector makes up 6% of the Thai economy and depending on what context you are talking it could be significant percentage or a small one. Certainly not one you would want to give up but it also wouldn't be like giving up the manufacturing industry that is about 40% of the GDP or even Agriculture which is only 8% but employees about 40% of workers.

Certainly many people spend $200 per day and some much more, but I don't think they are even close to average. All of these numbers except the 5 star hotel people seem very high to me. 3000 baht for a hotel in Thailand is a lot and does not seem mid range at all, neither does 500 baht per person per meal. The millions of budget Chinese, Malaysian, Russians, or Indian tourists are not spending this kind of money. Neither are lots of European families. $70 per day is also high for a backpacker ($15 can get single room with air not shared, daily transport is very high, and they only pay that departure tax once not every day). I see these people doing tourist surveys sometimes, usually in front of someplace like the Emporium, it seems like their surveys are skewed. Their estimates seem very optimistic to me

All it takes is a few thousand high dollar spenders to stay longer than 7 days to raise the average.

I think many members on this forum get 60 day visas and then extend to 90 days. Those people are easily spending 40,000 baht over 60-90 days.

Edited by IsaanUSA

whatever the truth is, there is a definite spin on Tourist figures every time something untoward happens. Doesn't matter what went on, whether floods, bombs or riots, we always seem to get this same headline spouted out. Just last week there was a headline that 14 countries had issued travel warnings for Thailand,maybe no one reads them

• Like 1

Many interesting points made here. First of all, $200 per day average, is way out of line, and simply a number the tourism minister threw out there, after reading a report on tourism. No scientific basis, on any level. Secondarily, many, many hotel operators, and restaurant people, and store owners I speak with here complain that business is down. It seems busy now, but year on year, it seems the levels are down. I have no faith in the ministry's quotes of 19 million arrivals. They could be referring to flocks or birds, cargo planes, transit passengers, business arrivals, or who knows what else. They have zero credibility, and there is ample reason for that. Lastly, I do not believe that tourism makes up only 6% of the economy, which is something they would love us to believe. I do not buy it. When you combine airlines, hotels, restaurants, retail, bus operators, mini van services, etc., etc., etc., there is no way it is that low.

Anyone who tried and found the electronic version? I can' find it on either the Thai or English pages

( http://tatbangkok.com/th/index.php or http://tatbangkok.com/en/index.php )

I found e-mags on the TAT Bangkok sites at http://www.tatbangkok.com/E-MAG-TAT_2 & http://www.tatbangkok.com/TAT50_E-MAG - seems strange though that both e-mags are available in Thai language only!

Can we assume from this that TAT Bangkok don't want to encourage foreign visitors!?!?

Thank God for this great news. A bomb factory exploded close to where I live and one of the bomb makers blew himself up while throwing granades in the main road but at long as the most important issue that tourism isnt affected me and my family can sleep easy at night. I assume the Thai government will continue to ignore and deny terrorist threats such as these just so long as more people promise to come here and bring their lovely foreign currency with them.

Chill out buddy. Your millions of times more likely to get knocked down by a car in your soi then get hit by a terrorist attack.

Never live in fear mate. Fear is how they control you.

I assume they are joking if they say this will not effect holiday folks coming to the kingdom......

You are kidding right. Nobody killed, a small group of guys with what amounted to low yield grenades specifically aimed at Israel diplomats (not tourists). This barely made headlines in the west and is already forgotten. The only people who may be still talking about it and the other incidents in different countries are Israelis and it won't deter them because their country is even more dangerous when it comes to terrorism.

• Like 1

Yes, but all said and done, such is the power of pure hedonism, whether sex tourists, or naive elephant-riders, non-caring about the history of suffering of their mounts, they will have their cheap thrills.and fairy tale holidays. We can all assume that in most capital cities around the World, their will be a bunch of terrorist loonies and a stash of weapons hidden somewhere. It is pretty much a given. Is this going to stop people going to the Olympic Games in London this year? We have all learnt to factor in the risk, along with other hazards. I still feel more at risk on the roads of Thailand, than being in the wrong place at the wrong time in a city the size of Bangkok.

I know lots of tourists spend that much just on their human sex toys, the shorter their stay the more per day - plus factor in the necessary Viagra for a session every couple waking hours.

If you're dreaming that such tourists are a small fraction, find some accurate stats if you can on the relative number of single male foreigners entering as opposed to couples and women. Very few countries' stats are as skewed as Thailands. . .

I know lots of tourists spend that much just on their human sex toys, the shorter their stay the more per day - plus factor in the necessary Viagra for a session every couple waking hours.

If you're dreaming that such tourists are a small fraction, find some accurate stats if you can on the relative number of single male foreigners entering as opposed to couples and women. Very few countries' stats are as skewed as Thailands. . .

They are a small fraction. Females make up 40% of tourists, which is standard for distant locations since males in general travel a lot more, whether as tourists or businessmen who are counted as tourists. Thailand actually get a higher percentage of female visitors than destinations like China and India. If you think they are some huge majority just go visit the half empty bars in Nana Plaza one night and then go to Khao San Road and see the enormous crowds of people.