Yahoo Messenger Account Hacked

backsoon

Today I had a phone call from a person whose name and email was in my list of contacts on Yahoo Messenger.

He said that an email from me came to him saying that I lost my passport and money asking him for money. Obviously a scam involving Identity theft and cracked password (very strong). Lately I started getting disconnected from yahoo as 'Signed in on another device'.

My attempt to contact Yahoo lead nowhere. When trying to change the password their computer generated message suggested that my new password will be sent to [email protected] . Needles to say, it is not my address. I have grounds to believe that the owner of this email address is a thief. Questions:

What do I do from now? Where to report this fact? Is there a Police branch dealing with Cyber crime? Why internet does not clearly say what to do and where to report such things? Are my emails to my correspondents compromised? Are my banking details on 'secure lines' also compromised? I am not a computer wizard, so, please, keep your humour for another case.

Obviously the personal identity of the registered owner of the above address is protected. Pity his/her victims are not. Needless to say that my PC is 'protected' by a good reputable internet security system.

Thanks for advice.

Not much to do.

No police will help you, there are no internet police as such, if you can get Yahoo to restore the account ok, if not go to gmail.

While it is in this state immediately go and change your email on any other services where you use this email addy as a contact point.

After you change the email, change the passwords.

Edited by necronx99

Not much to do.

No police will help you, there are no internet police as such, if you can get Yahoo to restore the account ok, if not go to gmail.

While it is in this state immediately go and change your email on any other services where you use this email addy as a contact point.

After you change the email, change the passwords.

Thanks for reply. I ran a compete scan of the system - zero result. A friend of mine who knows much more than me says that most likely the Yahoo servers were hacked, not my computer. Am I the only one with this problem? The worst thing is - I cannot read my emails, as Yahoo blocked my acc. This is a real pain. I think I will wait for a day or two and try to restore my acc with them.

Any details you have in your inbox or outbox of that account are definitely compromised bgecause the person who has that account can read your mail.

If you are unsure of any sensitive data that may be in any of those mails, get the information changed immediately.

Open a new account and let people know your account has been hijacked and get them to delete and ignore that account and any mail that comes from it.

There is very little possibility that Yahoo will do anything about it, but you could send them details and wait and wait and wait.