Vehicle Paint Protection And Rust-Proofing Applications.......

luwahn

I would like some information about paint protection applications and underbody rust-proofing new vehicles.

Do they 'work' and are they worth the cost?

Exactly what does the 'paint protection' process involve? Is it a glorified clear coat sealer?

Are vehicle paint protection and underbody rust-proofing applications common here in LOS?

Are there any brand name companies that anyone could recommend?

mostly dealer sales rep making another 3k baht

paint protection, Meguire 21 every second month, take delivery and have paint sealed at mgeuire detailing center at 300-500 baht

rust protection, lots of crap pvc sprayed on, often making things worse as it peals off and rust developes in pockets

one exception, Toyota Petchbury sending car to Tuff Cote Dinol for a proper spray job

Tuff Cote Dinol is a great product. Used it on my BMW in Canada where salt is poured onto snowy and black iced roads. Car ends up white from the salt spray which is also forced by speed into every crevice. Tuff Cote Dinol did the job of saving my car. Can be purchased in CMai on the way out to the bus terminal past the turnoff and about 200-300 meters further on on the right at a car wash before the superhwy. No idea of cost.

Tuff Cote Dinol is a great product. Used it on my BMW in Canada where salt is poured onto snowy and black iced roads. Car ends up white from the salt spray which is also forced by speed into every crevice. Tuff Cote Dinol did the job of saving my car. Can be purchased in CMai on the way out to the bus terminal past the turnoff and about 200-300 meters further on on the right at a car wash before the superhwy. No idea of cost.

Not a lot of salt on the roads around CM. No rust at all on my 11 yr old truck. Only seen rust on the really old stuff where they're all battered from miss-use.

Edited by MESmith

Not a lot of salt on the roads around CM. No rust at all on my 11 yr old truck. Only seen rust on the really old stuff where they're all battered from miss-use.

Lots of salt and humidity in coastal Thailand, seen 5 yo with holes through

I would imagine there is, but I was responding to the Tuffe Cote being for sale in Chiang Mai.

I would imagine there is, but I was responding to the Tuffe Cote being for sale in Chiang Mai.

anyone seen Tuff Cote Dinol in Phuket?

have had some dealer rust protection done here, bunch of fancy brand names with 10 year certifcates but crap jobs and products, so looking for something proper for my present 2 month old mazda2 and coming bt50

Hey guys, Thanks a lot! I guess I am to learn that 'Paint Protection' applications are the same as glorified wax jobs albeit the newer synthetic varieties(?) and that rust-proofing is more of a necessity perticularly around coastal areas?

On that point, aren't driving in the perenial rainy seasons here strong enough to consider a Tuff Cote Dinol rust prevenative application to promote the longevity of a car's body - I intend to drive this diesel until it gives out mechanically but want its body to look as good as possible until then - or is rust not a problem in central LOS?

Edited by luwahn

Hey guys, Thanks a lot! I guess I am to learn that 'Paint Protection' applications are the same as glorified wax jobs albeit the newer synthetic varieties(?) and that rust-proofing is more of a necessity around coastal areas?

On that point, aren't driving in the rainy seasons here strong enough to consider a Tuff Cote Dinol rust prevenative application to promote the longevity of a car or is it not ecessary?

I would do a proper rust protcetion anywhere in Th, but once sufficient when you live far from the coast

Lancia and Fiat had terrible rust rep, but my lasted thanks to Tectyl and Tuff Cote Dinol. On salted snow and ice

• Like 1

Look at the roads to see the longevity of vehicles proofed or not and you will get the answer, and there are still Lancia Beta saloons running surely not rust proofed all their life.

Hey guys, Thanks a lot! I guess I am to learn that 'Paint Protection' applications are the same as glorified wax jobs albeit the newer synthetic varieties(?) and that rust-proofing is more of a necessity around coastal areas?

On that point, aren't driving in the rainy seasons here strong enough to consider a Tuff Cote Dinol rust prevenative application to promote the longevity of a car or is it not ecessary?

I would do a proper rust protcetion anywhere in Th, but once sufficient when you live far from the coast

Lancia and Fiat had terrible rust rep, but my lasted thanks to Tectyl and Tuff Cote Dinol. On salted snow and ice

Thanks....I get your points!

The Alpha Romeo of old had a problem with galvanic corrosion where dissimilar medals met, such as the doorhandles where they met the body. Most disappointing to a friend who had just purchased one.

As for the putdown at #6, I thunk the point was MES that if Tuffkote Dinol protects well against salt, it should protect extremely well whatever the contaminants in rain and rain water, wherever. Deduction, Inference come to mind.

The Alpha Romeo of old had a problem with galvanic corrosion where dissimilar medals met, such as the doorhandles where they met the body.

That combined with the spray painting of everything from primer, to filler, to top coat. These Italian cars suffered badly, including Lancia, because the finishing sprays "crept" back from the edges of the sheet panels. Even where the edges were turned to form a double thickness seam, the surface tension of the paint caused this effect and the paint on the edges was microscopically thin. This was solved with the introduction of "electrocoating" in the 80s. This process resulted in an even coating of primer/filler/paint right around the edge of the panel. The panels were immersed in the electrolytic paint solution and the material was electrolytically deposited on the steel. Nothing was missed.