Doing A What If Using Excel

tjansen

Hello, I have read several instructions on this, but it is not working for me.

I have excel 2003. When I follow instructions I have found on the Internet, where they say I should go to Tools-Data-What If analysis.

The only related thing I see on the Data Dropdown is "Table"

I am trying to do a what-if by changing one variable and looking at the result on one output. However when I insert data in Cells A3 to A6 as my input that I want to vary, and I copy the formula that I want to evaluate in Cell B2, then highlight the table, including the formula, as instructed, then click on "Table" under the Data Tab, the box asks for a column input and a row input. The instructions I read made it seem that they would only ask for a column input.

I tried several ways of trying to use this row and column entry form, but I always get an error message.

Any help here? I hope I get notified if I get a reply.

By the way, I posted this on an Excel forum that I am not familiar with. I am hoping for an answer by tomorrow morning, and I know TV is usually quick, so I thought I would post the question here as well. I wrote in a hurry, but hope it is clear.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Suggest you download libreoffice (now version 3.4, it is free).

Can do an amazing number of tricks using the appropriate spreadsheet. AA

I ended up using "Scenario" in the tools list. I could never get the Data / Table thing to work. The Scenario function did what I wanted. It is just a bit cumbersome and I think only does one scenario at a time.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Tom