webfact

VALENTINE'S DAY BLASTS

More clues on Iranian bomb plot

NOPPHADOL SRITHAWEEKAS,

SUPHARAT IAMTAL,

JEERAPHONG PRASERTPHOLKRANG

THE NATION

30176508-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- More signs possibly relating to planned bomb attacks and prepared by a group of Iran nationals have been identified on Bangkok streets, apart from the stickers reading "SEJEAL" which police discovered earlier, a police source said yesterday.

Messages reading "SHOCKETHER", "NINER", "GAMI" have been found spray-painted on many walls along a Bangkok road heading to the JW Marriot Hotel, like the SEJEAL stickers which were pasted along the same route.

Police suspect the SEJEAL stickers - allegedly prepared by the bomb suspects - were intended to indicate a route used frequently by Israeli diplomats who are possible targets of the bomb attacks.

A former head of a Thai-Iranian alumni association, Saiyid Sulaiman, said the SEJEAL stickers could have been made up and posted at several locations in the capital to finger Iran and spoil good relations it had with Thailand.

Saiyid claimed he learned about the SEJEAL stickers on the day of the incidents. He did not give more details. He explained that SEJEAL was an Arabic word cited in the Koran, which means hot stones or fire stones. The word is also used to name a long-distance rocket in the Iranian military's inventory.

A suspect, Iranian national Mohammad Khazaei, has been placed in court custody after the Bangkok South Criminal Court denied his request for temporary release, which police opposed. Khazaei, in handcuffs and wearing a bulletproof vest, appeared grim and tense.

A special cell and heightened security have been provided for Khazaei at the Bangkok Remand Prison where he will be held for the first 12 days, and given special meals as part of his basic rights as an inmate.

Persian-speaking inmates will meet and chat with him occasionally to make him comfortable in a solitary cell monitored by security cameras, said prison commander Sophon Tuethammaphruek.

A police source said not all the five suspects may have known each other and entered Thailand to perform their roles on separate trips. The source said flight details showed that Norouzi Shaya Ali Akbar, 57, the alleged bomb-maker, and Laila Rohani, the alleged logistics officer, flew directly from Tehran to Thailand.

The three other suspects: Saeid Moradi, 28, who lost both legs after being caught in the blasts, Khazaei, and Masoud Sedaghatzadeh - now facing extradition from Malaysia - entered Thailand from Malaysia, after taking a direct flight from Tehran, through a transit flight to Phuket and then to Bangkok.

The explosives and devices could have been smuggled from Malaysia, before they were assembled into three radio bombs in Thailand, the source added. The SEJEAL stickers were not printed in Thailand and were possibly smuggled by Rohani, because they were found in her room.

A weekly meeting on progress in the police investigation into the blasts has been ordered by the prime minister, who appointed Deputy Prime Ministers Chalerm Yoobamrung and Yuthasak Sasiprapha as joint chiefs of operations.

A coordination committee working on the case has also been appointed, comprising the National Police chief and head of the National Security Council and immigration police and a Foreign Ministry representative.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-02-23

The JW Marriott has been mentioned several times in these articles.

Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak who was scheduled to visit Thailand planning to stay there?

I read, Barak was planning to stay overnight and attend an event at Central World.

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.

The Iranian Thai Sulaiman states that he became aware of the SEJEAL stickers the "day of the incident." The question raised is why didn't Sulaiman disclose this immediately? He should be arrested for aiding and abetting terrorism. The spray painted messages all around is another interesting aspect yet to be amplified.

Where are all those Thai politicians and tourism officials who were pounding the table and claiming that there was no terrorism activity in Thailand, that these were passing through and not aimed at Thai soil. Where are the ones advocating that the government disclaim the terror and propogandize this to the public so as not to compromise tourism? Where are the ones who admonished the US embassy for posting an alert and leaving it up, the same ones who went to state this case with the ambassador?

The Iranian Thai Sulaiman states that he became aware of the SEJEAL stickers the "day of the incident." The question raised is why didn't Sulaiman disclose this immediately? He should be arrested for aiding and abetting terrorism. The spray painted messages all around is another interesting aspect yet to be amplified. Where are all those Thai politicians and tourism officials who were pounding the table and claiming that there was no terrorism activity in Thailand, that these were passing through and not aimed at Thai soil. Where are the ones advocating that the government disclaim the terror and propogandize this to the public so as not to compromise tourism? Where are the ones who admonished the US embassy for posting an alert and leaving it up, the same ones who went to state this case with the ambassador?

Who gives a flying f~? These cowards will never come out and apologise, and the US doesn't expect them to. I certainly don't. Still, kudos to our government for looking after us. Too bad the Thai government doesn't do the same for its people. Shrouding them in lies and deceit.

• Like 1

Googling the word, many sites (too many to mention) say that:

The word "sejeal" may refer to a passage in the Koran that tells of a miracle when birds from heaven dropped "sejeal stones" on an army riding elephants from Yemen who were attempting to kill Mohammed, scaring the animals and saving the prophet's life.

licklips.gif Far more interesting and relevant for me is this:

I was just watching this very same story on Thai television news..channel 3.

They showed those very stickers and the Thai police dusting them for fingerprints.

But at the same time they also showed a cache of ammunition and explosives....quite a major cache of war weapons.

For example, some were clearly M-79 grenade rounds...which are fired from a shoulder launcher. There were 144 of them according to my wife's translation of what was written in Thai on the display.

There were also some wrapped items...so I couldn't see inside...but they were the right size and shape to be M-79 grenade launchers.

There was also a very signifigant display of ammunition for semi-automatic and automatic weapons. 7.62 and 5.56 mm rounds which could have been used in AK-47 and M-16 automatic rifles...to give two examples.

Believe me, IF these weapons and ammunition ARE part of the ammunition recovered...then this was not planned as a minor or one-off terrorist attempt.

IF that ammunition was used, hundreds of people would have been killed or wounded.

But I DON'T KNOW if that was what was intended or not.

All I will say is....I don't think we have the full story yet. In fact, we may never get it.

coffee1.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Sejeal is printed in Algerian Script. It is known that Al Queda has been planning attacks in Algeria and Iraq and training terrorists. Originally the Iranians arrested with a warehouse full of fertiliser and chemicals for making bombs stated that they were for export to other Countries (perhaps Algeria) the stickers in Algerian font may have been destined to go with the exported bombs. Perhaps the arrest of the Iranians with the warehouses full of bomb making chemicals has switched the Iranians and AL Queda's focus to revenge in Bangkok for the arrests previously made. As you can see the stickers are Algerian style:

SEJEAL (Algerian font)

Sejeal is printed in Algerian Script. It is known that Al Queda has been planning attacks in Algeria and Iraq and training terrorists. Originally the Iranians arrested with a warehouse full of fertiliser and chemicals for making bombs stated that they were for export to other Countries (perhaps Algeria) the stickers in Algerian font may have been destined to go with the exported bombs. Perhaps the arrest of the Iranians with the warehouses full of bomb making chemicals has switched the Iranians and AL Queda's focus to revenge in Bangkok for the arrests previously made. As you can see the stickers are Algerian style:

SEJEAL (Algerian font)

So if it is printed using NewYork font, it must be Americans behind the bombing?

licklips.gif Far more interesting and relevant for me is this:

I was just watching this very same story on Thai television news..channel 3.

They showed those very stickers and the Thai police dusting them for fingerprints.

But at the same time they also showed a cache of ammunition and explosives....quite a major cache of war weapons.

For example, some were clearly M-79 grenade rounds...which are fired from a shoulder launcher. There were 144 of them according to my wife's translation of what was written in Thai on the display.

There were also some wrapped items...so I couldn't see inside...but they were the right size and shape to be M-79 grenade launchers.

There was also a very signifigant display of ammunition for semi-automatic and automatic weapons. 7.62 and 5.56 mm rounds which could have been used in AK-47 and M-16 automatic rifles...to give two examples.

Believe me, IF these weapons and ammunition ARE part of the ammunition recovered...then this was not planned as a minor or one-off terrorist attempt.

IF that ammunition was used, hundreds of people would have been killed or wounded.

But I DON'T KNOW if that was what was intended or not.

All I will say is....I don't think we have the full story yet. In fact, we may never get it.

coffee1.gif

Reminds me of when Mark arrested some grandpa Red-shirt jay walkers.

The arms cache was found in Surin. It has nothing at all to do with the Feb 14 bombs. Learn to understand at least a little Thai if you live here.

A weekly meeting on progress in the police investigation into the blasts has been ordered by the prime minister, who appointed Deputy Prime Ministers Chalerm Yoobamrung and Yuthasak Sasiprapha as joint chiefs of operations.

Why do politicians always head police operations in this country?

*Deleted quote edited out*

It would help if Algerian Font actual had any ties to Algeria rather than just been a name given to it by some bloke from Sheffield though there is a tie in to New York as International Typeface Corporation which are based there hold the trademark for the name 'Algerian'.

google is your friend!

Edited by Scott
Deleted quote edited out

*Deleted quote edited out*

I did not say Algerian Language, this is the name of a particular font. The point is the style of the font is not popular here, so where were they printed? I have been working in the Sahara Desert and we have had a lot of trouble with the Algerian Al Queda so I can see the link if you can't.

Edited by Scott
Deleted quote edited out

SEJEAL (Algerian font)

So if it is printed using NewYork font, it must be Americans behind the bombing?

Algerian font? what a load of irrelevant babel. You truly are a font of all nonsense.

Since you are obviously uneducated why comment on something you know nothing about, I have lived with it. I spent six years dodging the Algerian Al Queda in the Sahara desert, in just one incident one of or Engineers was held up by a group of them carrying AK47s and they stole his 4 wheel drive, tied him up and dumped him 8kms from the nearest dirt road in the middle of the desert. I was a Technical Writer at the time as well as studying Arabic and have read the Koran from cover to cover. If you can use a computer you would know that Algerian font is a selection as is arabic, Thai greek etc The Algerian font originates and is popular in Algeria. I have been involved in printing technical publications in many countries including Thailand. The point is the origin of the stickers, they are printed somewhere and the font selected is Algerian style. The Thais tend to use Angsana, Verduna or Calibri, where as the British tend to use Times New Roman (it is the most popular British Standard for Technical Publications), the French use Arial, the Israelis use "David" font. You can often tell where a manuscript originates due to the font selected. The point is that the origin of the stickers is important and gives a clue as to the ultimate origin. The Iranian's romanised popular fonts use a plain capital "A", whereas the font selected is unique having the popular Algerian letter A

Sorry to disappoint you, I'm very well educated and know the printing and publishing industry well. It's still irrelevent babel to the Bangkok story..

Edited by writeshack

Why do politicians always head police operations in this country?

A basic investigative tenet is "Follow the money." Politicians are better than bloodhounds when it comes to sniffing out money.

"Persian-speaking inmates will meet and chat with him occasionally to make him comfortable in a solitary cell monitored by security cameras, said prison commander Sophon Tuethammaphruek."

We wouldn't want him to feel uncomfortable now would we.....................

What a CROCK !!!

• Like 1