Another Car In The Chiang Mai Moat Just Now

RidersCorner

I just passed it and also seen it in the moat,how it got there who knows as its rush hour and a lot of slow moving heavy traffic,You would need to gain some speed through the rush hour traffic to get to the middle of the moat.its between the New dukes and mikes burger section of the moat.Amazing ???

Edited by SausageKing

An ex girlfriend back in the UK managed to roll over her car in a multi-storey car park - don't ever underestimate the female driver.

She'd probably been watching too many Hollywood car chase movies......

Just for fun, head out to Airport Plaza multi storey car park before the mall opens & try a timed "hill climb" up the spirals :)

Yeah, we really need to add something about driving your car in the moat as one of the adventure activities in WinnietheKwai's posting on the swimming in the moat thread.

You know, they actually make vehicles that you can use like a car and a boat. I remember a trip to the Wisconsin Dells, where a tour in a "duck", i.e. converted military vehicle, was one of the prime attractions. Basically it was a lot like other short boat tours in confined waters, but had the novelty of loading everyone on land, and then the vehicle lumbered down to the water on its wheels before sailing off.

It was built to keep the Burmese and Thais out; it's deep.

Though there seem to be shallower bits too. I managed to drive a motorcycle into the NW corner of it one night in 1985 and as best I can recall (which is hardly anything at all) it was only four or five feet deep. Seeing cars in it makes me feel a little better about that particular bit of youthful stupidity . . . .

It was built to keep the Burmese and Thais out; it's deep.

Though there seem to be shallower bits too. I managed to drive a motorcycle into the NW corner of it one night in 1985 and as best I can recall (which is hardly anything at all) it was only four or five feet deep. Seeing cars in it makes me feel a little better about that particular bit of youthful stupidity . . . .

Wow.. Driving a motorbike in, that's awesome. Yeah, i guess there are shallower parts. And some areas some of the time there is very little water in it due to dredging / cleaning or whatever.

Driving a motorbike in, that's awesome.
Well, I couldn't have done it sober. I woke up thinking it was all a bad dream till I went down and saw some algae-like stuff hanging from the footpegs . . . then went back to where it happened and saw one of my flip-flops floating in the water.

It'd be fascinating to know how many cars, motorbikes, bicycles, ten-wheel trucks, bullock carts, Burmese war chariots etc. have gone into the CM moat over the years. Probably more than we might think!

Yeah, it is a MOAT, after all, and those are barriers to entrances like cities or castles, so not just simple koi ponds. It looks shallow when they drain most of it, but if you look at the side embankments and sloping hills you can see it's meters deep everywhere. MeterS.O

Often wondered about the how-to-get-it-in-the-water aspect of driving 'round the moat too. You've got to get speed, and then do a good swerve or two, hop a curb, and in most cases skillfully avoid trees impeding your success. Somehow they get several achievers annually. Never really hear what happens to the drivers.