Thai PM Yingluck Slams 'Nonsense' Attacks, Sues Rivals

webfact

So the PM did deny that there was a meeting when first confronted with it. Given that she was also immediately accused of sexual misconduct (which has been denied here, but reading the public reports makes it clear that indeed this was the case) is a plausible (albeit IMO still not a good) reason for the initial denial. Call it stonewalling if you want. The accusations were absurd from the first moment. The denial is understandable, if not the best choice.

There could have been an inquiry into conflict of interest without the personal attacks, but that did not seem to suit either the opposition nor the opposition media outlets. But a straight-forward query regarding conflict of interest would have been in the public interest.

As for suing, it seems to be the weapon of choice in Thai politics. Politicians might actually get work done if they weren't so busy trying to unseat each other via lawsuits.

Which makes me regret not keeping count of the number of times the opposition has threatened to sue or impeach the PM and those in her cabinet during the last 6 months. Somehow it would not surprise me if that number were 20-30 times or more...

To be perfectly clear for critics on TVF, yes, the above is a defense of the PM. The sexual misconduct accusations were absurd from the first moment, and this non-issue circus (excepting an honest look into potential conflict of interest) has gone on for 2 weeks. The PM should sue the hell out of those trying to defame her just because she is female. And the Democrats involved should shut up and get back to work. Good luck to her.

You will find the Opposition very rarely sue, that is a tactic of the Shinawat family, if we could check the records I would think Thaksin holds the record for the greatest number of litigation cases in Thailand's history.

The allegations of sexual misconduct could have arisen due to the fact the PM has never married the father of their son, and the father himself is never seen in public with Yingluk.. In addition Mr Chetta is a very handsome man.

Until now she hasn't clearly explained why she had to go to the hotel to exchange opinions with property developers.

So, like I said, I wonder how many times the opposition has threatened or attempted to sue/impeach since August 9th...

And I noted that it seems to be a weapon of choice in Thai politics, that is recognition that it didn't start after the last election...

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Irregardless of the underlying subject matter, it is a sad state of affairs when the PM of a nation chooses to communicate with the general public via their Facebook page. Miracle Thailand!

The American ambassador is tweet central..................

Unfortunately, now that the matter is subject to an investigation by the Ombudsman, it is inappropriate for the PM to comment further. smile.png

She submitting a statement to the ombudsman. I assume this is so that he can't ask any clarification questions.

From the breakingnews flash:

"She told reporters that she was drafting a statement of defence to be sent to the Office of Ombudsman."

From the topic "Thai PM Yingluck Vows To Cooperate Over Hotel Meeting" #76

So the PM did deny that there was a meeting when first confronted with it. Given that she was also immediately accused of sexual misconduct (which has been denied here, but reading the public reports makes it clear that indeed this was the case) is a plausible (albeit IMO still not a good) reason for the initial denial. Call it stonewalling if you want. The accusations were absurd from the first moment. The denial is understandable, if not the best choice.

There could have been an inquiry into conflict of interest without the personal attacks, but that did not seem to suit either the opposition nor the opposition media outlets. But a straight-forward query regarding conflict of interest would have been in the public interest.

As for suing, it seems to be the weapon of choice in Thai politics. Politicians might actually get work done if they weren't so busy trying to unseat each other via lawsuits.

Which makes me regret not keeping count of the number of times the opposition has threatened to sue or impeach the PM and those in her cabinet during the last 6 months. Somehow it would not surprise me if that number were 20-30 times or more...

To be perfectly clear for critics on TVF, yes, the above is a defense of the PM. The sexual misconduct accusations were absurd from the first moment, and this non-issue circus (excepting an honest look into potential conflict of interest) has gone on for 2 weeks. The PM should sue the hell out of those trying to defame her just because she is female. And the Democrats involved should shut up and get back to work. Good luck to her.

You will find the Opposition very rarely sue, that is a tactic of the Shinawat family, if we could check the records I would think Thaksin holds the record for the greatest number of litigation cases in Thailand's history.

Thanks for your fact and reality check

Edited by Buchholz

Irregardless of the underlying subject matter, it is a sad state of affairs when the PM of a nation chooses to communicate with the general public via their Facebook page. Miracle Thailand!

Especially when she's already failed in the Facebook genre by having an inept Facebook Team making her posts for her.

Unfortunately, now that the matter is subject to an investigation by the Ombudsman, it is inappropriate for the PM to comment further. smile.png

She submitting a statement to the ombudsman. I assume this is so that he can't ask any clarification questions.

Not much of a proper probing.

The allegations of sexual misconduct could have arisen due to the fact the PM has never married the father of their son, and the father himself is never seen in public with Yingluk.. In addition Mr Chetta is a very handsome man.

Until now she hasn't clearly explained why she had to go to the hotel to exchange opinions with property developers.

So, like I said, I wonder how many times the opposition has threatened or attempted to sue/impeach since August 9th...

It would behoove you as the originator of your claim to provide the evidence backing up your claim alleging 20 - 30 lawsuits filed by the Democrats in the past 6 months.

Not much of a proper probing.

Exactly, probings should always be done in person.

That rumor and innuendo is of little real consequence; the greater concern seems to be potential dereliction of duty and conflict of interest.

Yingluck shouls reveal all in a press conference infront of cameras.

Until that is done, the sex rumour shall remains.

Edited by Reasonableman

I am truly amazed that so many people can get so worked up over such a trivial event. One thing I have learnt in Thailand is that character assassination is a standard political tactic, probably copied from the USA. Signs of a sick nation in my opinion.

• Like 1

The sex rumour is dead in the water (and was as soon as it was raised), and is just being used by her and her supporters to avoid explaining the more serious issue.

I am truly amazed that so many people can get so worked up over such a trivial event.

Were you at the meeting that the PM lied about ever happening, but now accepts did (that in itself to me is not trivial to me: a PM caught out with a bare-faced lie).

If you weren't at the meeting, how could you possibly know it to be trivial?

The sex rumour is dead in the water (and was as soon as it was raised), and is just being used by her and her supporters to avoid explaining the more serious issue.

It may be so, but 3 Dems MP still went on TV (BlueSky), and keeps indirectly repeating sexual miscoduct, so are the small newspapers.

I suppose sex sells.

Most people in Thailand are not interested in the truth that when on.

Most people in Thailand are more interest in the sexual gossip regardless if there is any truth in it. In the markets, the "Mae Kar" like to "Mouth" and giggle over sexual rumors. Some even said that she will put on weight in a couple of months, or are expecting to be the 1st PM to have babies while in power (like of like Tony Blair).

Didn't Bill Clinton denined any sex at first? Same same.

Edited by sparebox2

That rumor and innuendo is of little real consequence; the greater concern seems to be potential dereliction of duty and conflict of interest.

The cameras at the Four Seasons will reveal all,if Yingluk has nothing to hide, surely she will be glad to let them roll on public TV?!