What Day Does Songkran Water Throwing Start In Chiang Mai?

RidersCorner

yes, the first day is like a small dress rehearsal, the younger kids trying to catch you with the first bucket...but it will be the friday and saturday 12th/13th that will be the full on water fights and concerts. by the 14th you will be keeping indoors, sick of it and making plans not to be here this time next year.

but last year it was a bit disappointing becasue it seemed to be raining most of the time aswell.

a tip: do not go into a 7/11 when you are p**s wet through....the aircon will give you frostbite!

11 is not really a day to celebrate yet, though you get some early birds around Thapae, and of course kids in the villages.

But 12 is a proper Songkran day, as are 13, 14, 15.

Then 16th it's all over; always a sad day. (Though again, some kids in the villages may not get the memo. ;) )

47 more days to go!

by the 14th you will be keeping indoors, sick of it and making plans not to be here this time next year.

I've been trying hard to get sick of it for 15 years, but i"m still looking forward to the next one more than a kid looks forward to Christmas.. What am I doing wrong? ;)

• Like 2

I've been trying hard to get sick of it for 15 years, but i"m still looking forward to the next one more than a kid looks forward to Christmas.. What am I doing wrong? wink.png

Thats a great question for a new thread Winnie......stand back and watch the sarcasm come flying at you.

I've been trying hard to get sick of it for 15 years, but i"m still looking forward to the next one more than a kid looks forward to Christmas.. What am I doing wrong? wink.png

Thats a great question for a new thread Winnie......stand back and watch the sarcasm come flying at you.

all one can say is you must be a sucker,for punishment,but each to his own.

Yeah; I'm very prepared this year for the Annual Songkran Whiners vs Apologists Debate. ;)

But to start it myself.. that might seem forced and trollesque? Besides, it reliably come up organically on the forum.

The actual water throwing near Thapae Gate usually starts around noon on the 11th and is not too bad the first day.

UG should know.

It all depends on your perspective though. If you're looking to have fun throwing water, "it's not too bad the first day" (11th). If you need to go somewhere while staying dry, it kinda sucks. I would avoid the entire east side of the moat, inside and outside, from the NE corner down to Loi Kroh Rd on all 5 days from about noon till midnight.

11 is not really a day to celebrate yet, though you get some early birds around Thapae, and of course kids in the villages.

Then 16th it's all over; always a sad day. (Though again, some kids in the villages may not get the memo. wink.png )

47 more days to go!

by the 14th you will be keeping indoors, sick of it and making plans not to be here this time next year.

Nothing !!!!

Then 16th it's all over; always a sad day. (Though again, some kids in the villages may not get the memo. wink.png )

47 more days to go!

I haven't gotten to enjoy Songkran since 2008, I am looking forward to this MORE than Christmas.

My other favorite holiday is Halloween, Anyone know if Thai pubs do dress up? I'll bring some latex and fake blood, I make a convincing zombie with my skin ripping off and intestines falling out!