What Is The Best Investment For 1 M Baht In Thailand

i'm going to receive 1m tb in the near future and was wondering what is the best way to invest. government bonds, buy apartment in bangkok, buy apartment somewhere else in thailand? also, what about offshore banks investments?

I would appreciate any kind of info.

option 1) Conservative strategy- For that amount your best bet is stocks.I would say put it in Shell oil stock in US or UK exchanges and get nice annual dividends in a solid, profit making company- you can put the money in there and forget about it for a few years without worry. For thai stocks try AIS/ADVANC or KBANK.

option 2) Risky but big profit strategy: buy gold because if there is a conflict between isreal and iran it will shoot up in price. Plus the gold price is heading up anyway given the orgy of money printing by US and EU central banks (and more to come in the EU).

Edited by ExpatJ

This same thread topics crops up every few months so if you use the forum search and do some scrolling you might come across one or more of these and get some general tips and ideas, which may or may not be appropriate given your individual circumstances.

The short answer is there is no one-size fits-all "best" investment. There are way too many individual variables to consider. This is why if you see a financial planner the first thing they will do is help you to complete a detailed questionnaire about yourself. If you're serious about this investment idea then spend some time googling and reading up about personal financial planning basics, incl. concepts like risk-profiling, diversification. With some (many) types of investment you will also need to then spend some time to study how they work before you commit to anything. The worst thing you can do is simply read one article about some particular whiz-bang go-get'em investment and put your money in that ... doubly so in Thailand

Edited by chiangmaibruce

I'd say A gasoline company,but they are up to much.Maybe gold but it's up also.Maybe put it in the bank for 6 months and see how oil and gold looks then.

Or go to the stock market.get dividend paying stocks yielding between 3%-6% A year.

Be very careful about starting A small business in thailand.Good luck.

There are several Thai banks offering around 3% or so. Beware of the advertised rates and look for the true rate averaged over the length of the deposit. They like to advertise the initial/or last monthly teaser rate.

money market funds, denominated in Thai Baht and maturities of 3 and 6 months are presently available income tax free with yields between 3.25 and 3.30% p.a. (Kasikorn and Siam Commercial).

1.85 million baht for an aprtment that pays 12K a month, if you think that is a good investment then why are you selling? If I have 1 million baht invested I better be getting at least 20K baht a month return or I wouldn't waste my time.

Being a slum lord really is the best financial strategy if you are doing real estate.

To be honest 1 million baht really isn't a lot to invest. I would go with the lowest yield lowest risk if that is all that you have. If it is just extra cash that you wouldn't miss if you lost it then currency investments can have huge payoffs, but I warn you the risk is very high. I have done quite well in the past making a 10,000 dollar initial investment into over 25K in 3 1/2 years. However, I am holding right now because there have been a few major shifts that I didn't like. Just like the housing crash in the US. I was fortunate to sell off about 6 months before everything hit hard. My sister bought a house right before for 250K dollars it is now valued at 145K. She has serious negative equity. Not to mention that borrowing 200K for 20 years is more like 350K for a 145K house. NOt the smartest move.

Naam seems to have practical advice. However wealthy people don't always share their best strategies.

1. Keep the money out of this country ! As in Singapore. Bring in what you need, as you need it. Keep your financial records in a bank safety deposit box. A possible exception being 800k baht in Thai bank for purposes of retirement visa for three months: as soon as you have the visa, put the money in gold and put that in a safety deposit box: when re-applying for retirement visa, convert gold to baht as needed.

2. Do not invest in anything here, except a condominium for your personal use preceded by a thorough legal investigation of the "title," and the history of the management and condition of the building, and research into what, in the future, may be constructed right next to the condo you buy.

3. Do not inform anyone, Thai or Farang, of what your assets are, and where they are. Number one person(s) not to inform: your Thai wife and her family, or any of your neighbors.

4. Do not flaunt wealth publicly by wearing lots of gold, etc.

5. Avoid all in-Thai Farang so-called financial advisors, etc. Many of them are fakes and scammers, and outright con-men.

6. If in Pattaya, do not live above the second floor of any building. The balconies of many Pattaya high-rises are designed to launch Farangs into their final swan-dive.

Follow the above advice to keep your head on your shoulders.

best, ~o:37;

1. Keep the money out of this country ! As in Singapore. Bring in what you need, as you need it. Keep your financial records in a bank safety deposit box. A possible exception being 800k baht in Thai bank for purposes of retirement visa for three months: as soon as you have the visa, put the money in gold and put that in a safety deposit box: when re-applying for retirement visa, convert gold to baht as needed.

2. Do not invest in anything here, except a condominium for your personal use preceded by a thorough legal investigation of the "title," and the history of the management and condition of the building, and research into what, in the future, may be constructed right next to the condo you buy.

3. Do not inform anyone, Thai or Farang, of what your assets are, and where they are. Number one person(s) not to inform: your Thai wife and her family, or any of your neighbors.

4. Do not flaunt wealth publicly by wearing lots of gold, etc.

5. Avoid all in-Thai Farang so-called financial advisors, etc. Many of them are fakes and scammers, and outright con-men.

6. If in Pattaya, do not live above the second floor of any building. The balconies of many Pattaya high-rises are designed to launch Farangs into their final swan-dive.

Follow the above advice to keep your head on your shoulders.

best, ~o:37;

Always look on the bright side of life

Cheer up, it ain't all that bad you know.