Dolphin Light Poles Installation To Take 6 Months Longer Than Estimated

Rimmer

Dolphin light poles installation to take 6 months longer than estimated

n6-Dolphins-1.jpg

PATTAYA:--

Dolphin sightings are being reported across Pattaya as the workers slowly install light posts adorned with the city mascot.

About half of the 129 planned dolphin light poles had been installed as of Feb. 9. Spaced 15 meters apart, the posts stand 8 meters tall upon a crucifix stand, with two lamp-wings and dolphins perched on top.

Full story:http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/dolphin-light-poles-installation-to-take-6-months-longer-than-estimated-10383

pattayamaillogo.png

-- Pattaya Mail 2012-02-24 footer_n.gif

What a waste of money ,and there have been accidents already ,where people have clipped the wavey bits that stick out ,level with the road.,why cant the powers to be do more about the pavements along beach road ,not poncing about with dumb lights.

I drive this road almost every day and I can assure you that the decorative wavy curve elements of the poles do not enter the plane of on-coming traffic. The ends of them are parallel to the curb so unless the driver is driving up on the medium or is an extremely wide load (in which case they should be in the left lane) they will have no problem.

What a waste of money ,and there have been accidents already ,where people have clipped the wavey bits that stick out ,level with the road.,why cant the powers to be do more about the pavements along beach road ,not poncing about with dumb lights.

I drive this road almost every day and I can assure you that the decorative wavy curve elements of the poles do not enter the plane of on-coming traffic. The ends of them are parallel to the curb so unless the driver is driving up on the medium or is an extremely wide load (in which case they should be in the left lane) they will have no problem.

i too drive this road almost every day and if you care to look at the wavy bits on the side of Pattaya Nua approaching the Dusit roundabout, most are all ready paint scarred & damaged

presumably as is the car, truck, bus, saleng or motorbike that did the scarring

some have slight rounding of the leading edge corners too, indicating a bigger impact has occurred already

so despite farangbuddha's assessment of the location, someone has hit them within days of installation and will continue to do so.

it will only be a matter of time before a motorcyclist is unseated by a car from behind and thrown into one of these cheese slicers and cut in half

i have no doubt they have lined the pockets of some highly placed local politician with associations to a construction company

anyone been here long enough to remember the installation, lack of use of and subsequent removal of the green 'T' shaped stands on the pavement that were intended to have a canopy of flowers growing down from them ?

same same, just a nice little earner for the powers that be.........

Edited by timekeeper

i too drive this road almost every day and if you care to look at the wavy bits on the side of Pattaya Nua approaching the Dusit roundabout, most are all ready paint scarred & damaged

presumably as is the car, truck, bus, saleng or motorbike that did the scarring

some have slight rounding of the leading edge corners too, indicating a bigger impact has occurred already

so despite farangbuddha's assessment of the location, someone has hit them within days of installation and will continue to do so.

it will only be a matter of time before a motorcyclist is unseated by a car from behind and thrown into one of these cheese slicers and cut in half

i have no doubt they have lined the pockets of some highly placed local politician with associations to a construction company

anyone been here long enough to remember the installation, lack of use of and subsequent removal of the green 'T' shaped stands on the pavement that were intended to have a canopy of flowers growing down from them ?

same same, just a nice little earner for the powers that be.........

Similar to the pedestrian lights???? Boondoggle for sure.

It still does not change the fact that they have already been the cause of accidents .

It still does not change the fact that they have already been the cause of accidents .

Installation damage.

Installation damage.

of course!

thats that mystery resolved then....

Installation damage.

And nothing to do with the m/cyclist lying in the road then?

The wavy bits that stick out do not encroach into the carriageway, but the company that got the contract to supply and install know that loads on pick ups and lorries exceed the dimensions of the vehicles and may damage these wavy bits.

I bet they've already got the future maintenance contract for repair in their pockets. Gravy train money for the next few years, genius. Only thing makes me wonder, how did the company have the foresight to plan ahead so well. Does not seem a Thai trait.