Transporting A Bike Bike

angryfarang

I'm pretty tempted to buy a new Ducati Monster 795. If I travelled up to Bangkok to buy it, what's the best way of transporting it to Suratthani?

Are there reliable companies that could do this? I wonder if Ducati Thailand deliver?

I know a lot of people here will say drive it down, but I'm pretty short on time due to my work and driving it down on the motorway is probably the worst way to bed a new engine in.

It's not about faith...it's about making sure that the thing is properly wrapped. wink.png People on this forum have used the post office before. I have not seen a single complaint from any TV user. If it were me I would personally wrap it to make sure it isn't damaged.

The other alternative is find some local with a pickup willing to drive to BKK and pick it up with you. I don't think there are any professional motocycle shipping companies for shipment within Thailand.

Edited by submaniac

With a large hammer...joking of course.

It's not delivered to your house, as I understand it. It is shipped to the local post office in your town. You pick it up from there and ride it home.

http://www.thaivisa....hai-post-office

P.S. just read the thread again...BBK added a thing about one bike being damaged. I didn't see that post the first time I read the thread when it was originally opened by Gungadin. (RIP)

Edited by submaniac

How do they fit it through my mailbox?

get it in Phuket, I ll bring it to you for a few k bahtpost-81971-0-19949700-1330144579_thumb.j

or rent a pickup and get it in Phuket

seen big bike by post, didnt work out, customer pays repair. even if its wrapped, its not strapped, and when it falls its a bit more heavy than a pcx

ask Big Bike BKK

Like you can't remove the carryboy? Like even pay someone to remove it so you could put the bike in back?

I would also trust Kata to deliver it safely as well.

Whenever I move a bike myself, I always get paranoid. I have never had a bike drop or damaged it, but whenever I am towing a bike I always find myself constantly looking in the rear view mirror every 30 seconds to make sure the tie downs are in place, it hasn't shifted or anything. A long distance drive with a bike in tow is my idea of a nightmare. Even when I tie it down myself, and I know logically that it is secure, I can't help but question my own skill in tying down a bike.

There's no way I could remove the carryboy hood, it's the motorised version which isn't a basic install. It took them about 6 hours to fit.

I'd probably hire a truck and go pick it up myself. It's a nice drive to Phuket.

Thanks for the replies. I'm just waiting to hear from Ducati Phuket about ordering one.

I shipped the Monkey bike in my avatar from Chiang Mai to Songkhla via Thai post and the buyer said it arrived perfectly.

Granted, it is a much smaller bike. It cost me 2200B and the charge is based on engine size, mine was 100cc.

Edited by BlackArtemis

Like you can't remove the carryboy? Like even pay someone to remove it so you could put the bike in back?

I would also trust Kata to deliver it safely as well.

Whenever I move a bike myself, I always get paranoid. I have never had a bike drop or damaged it, but whenever I am towing a bike I always find myself constantly looking in the rear view mirror every 30 seconds to make sure the tie downs are in place, it hasn't shifted or anything. A long distance drive with a bike in tow is my idea of a nightmare. Even when I tie it down myself, and I know logically that it is secure, I can't help but question my own skill in tying down a bike.

I drive 700km a day, 1500km Phuket- Nong Kai, while my Gf uses the interior mirror for make up. Check the straps every pit stop thogiggle.gif

first trip with another bike or pickup, need to check more frequently first hour, as they move differently

There's no way I could remove the carryboy hood, it's the motorised version which isn't a basic install. It took them about 6 hours to fit.

I'd probably hire a truck and go pick it up myself. It's a nice drive to Phuket.

Thanks for the replies. I'm just waiting to hear from Ducati Phuket about ordering one.

If you are in or close to Surat Muang, its just 3 hours

Kata - thanks for the offer. I'll definitely keep it in mind. I'm just trying to work out how I'm going to buy the bike. I have the cash here, but it's most of my savings. I'm enquiring about their finance. I wonder if they'll do it without a Thai guarantor. I have my own VAT registered business for 6 years now with work permit, visa, etc.

Ducati will deliver the bike to your house if you ask them to. :)

Most folks report good experiences with the Thailand Post Logispost. I guess I'm the exception- they did about 20k baht damage to an ER6n that a seller shipped to me...

The highway is a good place to break in a new bike. Certainly better than riding in a city! Just vary the revs and gears and do a lot of engine braking. Piece of cake.

Wow. Why the 4 month wait?

Basically the bike is made for the Asian market and demand is extremely high. The salesman at the Pattaya dealer did say that there might be the possibility of a cancellation as some people had been turned down for finance and Im a cash buyer.

Can this Ducati M795 run gasohol?

I think I read somewhere that Ducati Thailand advise against it.

It that is the case, that would be a deal breaker for me. Benzine will be harder to get in the future.

Sorry off topic.

Injection by Bosch should be no problem, Injection by Magneti Marelli could, so what have they installed on this Thai bike? Denso made in Thailand? No problem

It that is the case, that would be a deal breaker for me. Benzine will be harder to get in the future.

Sorry off topic.

Injection by Bosch should be no problem, Injection by Magneti Marelli could, so what have they installed on this Thai bike? Denso made in Thailand? No problem

My 1100 monster is running a Siemens system, the new 795 i pressume would be the same, although it is a strictly asian model being 795 not 796 so who knows???

Runs perfect on gasoline 95 if you can find it, 95 gasohol runs smooth too but with a poor fuel return. 91 gasoline is not so smooth and 91 gasohol, well i wouldn't even entertain it.

Ducati Phuket have an order book as long as your arm and it's still a 5 month waiting list, which they can't guarantee. If you did buy from Phuket, get a taxi to Phuket and ride it back, it's a great run to Surat Thani and the ideal conditions for breaking in a bike.

Personally i wouldn't buy one of these local made bikes as the quality just isn't there compared to the european made. Just put them side by side as i did and you'll see the quality or materials and workmanship is miles apart. At less than 400k they will attract a fair deal of takers but i question the longevity and reliability compared to "proper" one. Just my 2 cents....

Sorry off topic.

but i question the longevity and reliability compared to "proper" one

most people probably dont keep a bike longer than a few years ,i think they wil hold up to that length and because it has a ducatti badge it will hold its value reasonably on the 2nd hand market but i would also prefer a bike assembled in japan or europe over one made in thailand .

many owners will sell well before the second or third year i would guess ,plenty of kawasaki owners are taking a big hit in depreciation now on the 650s and probably more to come

my wife cousin bought a cracking versys today for 225k and its 7 months old /registered

insurance + extra stuff worth maybe 20k

about 320k worth of bike or a 95k loss to own that bike for 7 months ,i woud have seriously considered buying it myself

but i didnt know it was on sale until it was sold :)

Sorry off topic.

My 1100 monster is running a Siemens system, the new 795 i pressume would be the same, although it is a strictly asian model being 795 not 796 so who knows???

Runs perfect on gasoline 95 if you can find it, 95 gasohol runs smooth too but with a poor fuel return. 91 gasoline is not so smooth and 91 gasohol, well i wouldn't even entertain it.

Ducati Phuket have an order book as long as your arm and it's still a 5 month waiting list, which they can't guarantee. If you did buy from Phuket, get a taxi to Phuket and ride it back, it's a great run to Surat Thani and the ideal conditions for breaking in a bike.

Personally i wouldn't buy one of these local made bikes as the quality just isn't there compared to the european made. Just put them side by side as i did and you'll see the quality or materials and workmanship is miles apart. At less than 400k they will attract a fair deal of takers but i question the longevity and reliability compared to "proper" one. Just my 2 cents....

It wouldn't suprise me if there were some quality differences between Italy and Thailand, just as Tony pointed out for the weld differences between Kawasaki Japan and Kawsaki Thailand. I'm sure Ducati Thailand focus on QC, QA and TQM and they don't want to damage thier brand image & reputation. However, in the past Ducati Italy was never a watch-word for quality, Italian engineering has always been a bit suspect for rust. I think paying and extra THB 260K for the M756 or 400K for the M11000 is just insane. For THB 800K there are better bikes than the M1100. I'm sure the reliability will be fine and the depreciation will be more gentle than Kawsaki, although saying that I only lost 50K THB on my 2009 ER6n over 3 years. Just my 50 satangs.

Sorry off topic.

It wouldn't suprise me if there were some quality differences between Italy and Thailand, just as Tony pointed out for the weld differences between Kawasaki Japan and Kawsaki Thailand. I'm sure Ducati Thailand focus on QC, QA and TQM and they don't want to damage thier brand image & reputation. However, in the past Ducati Italy was never a watch-word for quality, Italian engineering has always been a bit suspect for rust. I think paying and extra THB 260K for the M756 or 400K for the M11000 is just insane. For THB 800K there are better bikes than the M1100. I'm sure the reliability will be fine and the depreciation will be more gentle than Kawsaki, although saying that I only lost 50K THB on my 2009 ER6n over 3 years. Just my 50 satangs.

your very lucky to only lose 50k on the er6n after 3 years ,mine was 170k last year ,year 1 and 2 it seems to lose the most on bikes

not much difernce between years 15-20 etc ,the condition of the vehicle was maintained is more important to calue by that stage

there will surely be some of ducatis changing ownership before the end of the year ,id say many thai people will be in over their heads

by the finance paymants and might think twice about owning a ducatti

As the Ducathai bikes are only assembled in LoS, and assuming all components are the same as a 796 but for the absence of ABS, the manufactured quality should be the equal of anything from Ducati's Italian assembly lines - that is to say: Very High. Engine, frame, all major components are manufactured in Italy. So, I don't think any of Thailand's heathen welders get closer to the bikes than the perimeter fence. The only things I'd watch for in a Ducathai would be fastener tightness, chain adjustment & wheel alignment, proper fluid levels. But I check all these on any bike i bought anywhere.

As for delivery, DON"T trust your baby to Thaipost! Make a weekend of it, and ride it gently around Phuket town & island to put in at least 200km, then ride it at a moderate putt back home. Time permitting, I wouldn't do it any other way.