Transporting A Bike Bike

angryfarang

As the Ducathai bikes are only assembled in LoS, and assuming all components are the same as a 796 but for the absence of ABS, the manufactured quality should be the equal of anything from Ducati's Italian assembly lines - that is to say: Very High. Engine, frame, all major components are manufactured in Italy. So, I don't think any of Thailand's heathen welders get closer to the bikes than the perimeter fence. The only things I'd watch for in a Ducathai would be fastener tightness, chain adjustment & wheel alignment, proper fluid levels. But I check all these on any bike i bought anywhere.

Incorrect, many people are assuming the parts are sent over from Europe and assembled here. Some and quite a lot of the parts are actually locally made/sourced, hence why I could see the differences compared to my EU made bike. This was confirmed by the sales guy at the dealer who reluctantly confirmed my suspicions.

Take the paint for example, just doesn't have the depth and shine as the EU original. I personally think the bike has a dull look about it as if something just isn't right. However at under 400k its not a bad price at all so up to the buyer, but not for me even at 300k!!!

Edited by Rickster

As the Ducathai bikes are only assembled in LoS, and assuming all components are the same as a 796 but for the absence of ABS, the manufactured quality should be the equal of anything from Ducati's Italian assembly lines - that is to say: Very High. Engine, frame, all major components are manufactured in Italy. So, I don't think any of Thailand's heathen welders get closer to the bikes than the perimeter fence. The only things I'd watch for in a Ducathai would be fastener tightness, chain adjustment & wheel alignment, proper fluid levels. But I check all these on any bike i bought anywhere.

Incorrect, many people are assuming the parts are sent over from Europe and assembled here. Some and quite a lot of the parts are actually locally made/sourced, hence why I could see the differences compared to my EU made bike. This was confirmed by the sales guy at the dealer who reluctantly confirmed my suspicions.

Take the paint for example, just doesn't have the depth and shine as the EU original. I personally think the bike has a dull look about it as if something just isn't right. However at under 400k its not a bad price at all so up to the buyer, but not for me even at 300k!!!

Interesting. Which major bits are different on the Ducathais that makes them inferior to Italian iron, beyond thin paint? I'm not arguing with you - I really want to know, since I'm a prospective 795 buyer.

But food for thought: every manufacturer, including Ducati & even 'All-Merican' Harley, have sourced Asian-made components for decades for such things as electrical, handlebar switchgear, relays, solenoids, starter motors, gauges and even 'Bologna-made' Ducs with quite high-spec Showa USD forks. Are they not Ducatis then by your standard? I think it gets pretty subjective and an argument about a shade of gray. Hell, an old Bevelhead I know would argue that anything liquid cooled or with belt driven cams isnt a 'real' Ducati. Funny, they don't advise Ducati Motor Holding that they have to freeze time and build artifacts of years past only, a la Harley, and all innovation ceases or else it's not a 'Real Duc.'

Anyway, I'm not any Authority for sure, but at some point it all seems to come down to mere personal preference. For me, when they start crafting frames, trannies or engines in LoS I'll be the first to cry foul and tell them its not an Italian bike anymore. As they say, your results may vary.

It wouldn't suprise me if there were some quality differences between Italy and Thailand, just as Tony pointed out for the weld differences between Kawasaki Japan and Kawsaki Thailand. I'm sure Ducati Thailand focus on QC, QA and TQM and they don't want to damage thier brand image & reputation. However, in the past Ducati Italy was never a watch-word for quality, Italian engineering has always been a bit suspect for rust...

Ducati have made as good or a better bike, in terms of sheer engineering design & build quality, than the Japanese makers since the revolutionary 916 in 1994. Some of the 916 & heir 996 engines had valve rocker flaking issues, my 996s had a few bad rockers... but so did some Japanese bikes aong with their cam chain tensioner issues. Kawi, BMW have had major recalls for trannies, or whole engines! BMW bought me a trannie and a welded aluminum fuel tank for a K-Bike once. So it happens to them all. The 916 solenoids went tits up sometimes, but were minor bits and Asian-made if memory serves.

From that groundbreaking 916 eighteen years ago through to today's 195 HP, monocoque-framed work of art 1199, Ducati design & engineering acumen, as evidenced in Actual Production Bikes & resultant production superbike racing, has left the Big Four playing catch-up.... all of this working on what must be less than Honda's karaoke bar girl team size and budget line item. Ducatis are brilliantly balanced, nuanced/engineered performance machines like no other, and unless youve ridden one at speed on track or in some twisty bits with purpose, you really have no idea.

• 2 weeks later...

I do not know,ho to place a foto here, so first only with words.

Against better knowledge from another Poster here, somewhere in the Bike-Forum, who had a bad experience with the sending of a Big Bike,

I brought my older (1992/93?) Honda CBR 400 Fireblade to the Patong Postoffice and ordered that she should be sent to Udon Thani city Postoffice.

3.900 Bath + an insurance I made, because of the bad experiences I read so far.

Needed about 10 days, yesterday I looked for the bike and the Windshield and the Tank was severly smashed! The fork is now leaking to!

They let her jump down?

Insurance papers had been filled out already, we will see if its running now smoothly with the payment for the repairs!

Loosing time to drive so!angry.png

Against better knowledge from another Poster here, somewhere in the Bike-Forum, who had a bad experience with the sending of a Big Bike,

I brought my older (1992/93?) Honda CBR 400 Fireblade to the Patong Postoffice and ordered that she should be sent to Udon Thani city Postoffice.

Needed about 10 days, yesterday I looked for the bike and the Windshield and the Tank was severly smashed! The fork is now leaking to!

They let her jump down?

Insurance papers had been filled out already, we will see if its running now smoothly with the payment for the repairs!

my friend sent a bike on the train and it was quite badly damaged also ,there were marks from the lashing ropes on the tank paintwork and they managed to damage /bend one of the levers ,clutch i think

no compensation was offered and the train didnt take any liability for how it was transported ,handled and eventually damaged in transit

i think they just cram everything in and tie ropes around it ,no matter what it is

i have always rode bikes home from other provinces ,never trusted the train or the post with one yet

If all is running ok with the insurance and as the talking sounded, it should be,

the new tank and the new windshield, will look better than before!

Some more things will taken care to, as it is an older bike, it can improve.wink.png

Edited by ALFREDO

They let her jump down?

Bummer!

Yeah, an ER6n I bought a couple years ago suffered about 20k Baht of damage thanks to the Thai Logispost. Seller didn't purchase insurance but kindly knocked 20k off the sale price and ate the loss. I turned the damaged ER6 into a track bike. Will never use Thailand Post Logispost for anything valuable again.