Mini Cooper

farangme

BTW, while I wouldn’t drive a Mini on a bet, if people want one and have the dough, what’s the big deal? Why are they stupid for buying one?

If I spend 20,000 on a handbag for my wife when I can buy one that looks similar and does the same thing for 1,200 does that make me stupid? If so, why even spend the 1,200 when I get a free bag every time I buy a bottle of water at 7-11? Why can’t she just use those?

I have a neighbor across the street that buys a nice new car for himself every two years and he bought a Mini for his wife last year. She loves it. Not my thing, but I say more power to him, it’s his money. I agree with you guys to a point, I’m too cheap to lay out long money for something that costs half as much in the US, so I drive a pickup. If I don’t like something I don’t buy it, but I don’t see any point in raining on someone else’s parade.

• Like 1

BTW, while I wouldn’t drive a Mini on a bet, if people want one and have the dough, what’s the big deal? Why are they stupid for buying one?

If I spend 20,000 on a handbag for my wife when I can buy one that looks similar and does the same thing for 1,200 does that make me stupid? If so, why even spend the 1,200 when I get a free bag every time I buy a bottle of water at 7-11? Why can’t she just use those?

I have a neighbor across the street that buys a nice new car for himself every two years and he bought a Mini for his wife last year. She loves it. Not my thing, but I say more power to him, it’s his money. I agree with you guys to a point, I’m too cheap to lay out long money for something that costs half as much in the US, so I drive a pickup. If I don’t like something I don’t buy it, but I don’t see any point in raining on someone else’s parade.

Well said

I guess I must be 'stupid' ;-)

Anyheeow, basically the Mini is extremely keenly priced in the USA, where small cars historically have struggled a bit plus of course tax etc are all low as we already discussed.

Here in Thailand, car manufacturers can reduce their tax bill by changing specifications (helps slightly) to be more 'eco'; producing in ASEAN or Thailand (helps a lot); subsidising across the range for certain models. In the case of Mini, it's made in UK, it has (in the case of the S) a smallish engine, but with a turbo or supercharger, and it isn't that friendly on the eco front running E20 ok but not e85; there isn't a reason to price it more keenly other than perhaps the Mini One entry level one which is a mere 2m baht (but for that you get a slug of a car).

By comparison, the also not made in Thailand Volvo S60 is an example of how to get things keenly priced; it's a semi luxury saloon similar to higher priced BMW/Benz (locally made) but much cheaper than other imports like Audi A4, VW Passat etc because it is made within ASEAN, is eco fuel friendly, etc etc to get best possible tax rates, and these rates are passed onto consumers. You can read in the thread about it somewhere, MRO our expert has a few comments on it.

Having said all of that....Mini probably outsells the S60 despite being smaller/less practical/more expensive/wanky etc etc because it is a car people want to drive backed by a strong distributor; it's a fun little car. That's also why the resale on the mini is so good too.

For someone considering a Mini here, the other cars to look at might arguably be a 1 series (almost non existant here except for the locally assembled X1 which is cheap 2m baht but has a waiting list of a year); Audi A1/A3 (almost non existant); VW Golf/Polo/Scirocco (VW's resale is worse, similar price, Polo not readily available); Skoda Fabia RS (same engine, very limited distribution, 1.6m); CItreon DS3 (same engine, very limited distribution about 2m); or a Japanese car.

In my case, I want a car enjoyable to drive, so for my budget it was a Golf, Scirocco or a Mini; Mini Cooper S won out on the resale, strong drivers club (including track days etc), ease to modify, slight concern on the VW servicing side. I am sure there are plenty of salary men earning similar wages but without kids for whom the standard C200 or BMW 320i is too run of the mill, too boring, looking too try hard, to consider - also in terms of timing this is a terrible time to buy a 3 series since the new one is just coming out next year; C200 is keenly priced but not everyone wants to have the entry level Euro taxi driver spec. S60 is a great car...except for resale perhaps.

So yes, the about 3,000 Mini owners (guess) here in Thailand of the new BMW made Minis are aware you can buy one for 1/3 of the price in UK or in USA; a few get grey market cars to get around that, but no matter how you look at it, it's still an expensive little car. They can afford it, and are probably aware that almost all cars except pick ups and tiny shopping baskets are expensive here. It's not surprising that a lot of the owners are rich kids or younger business people since it's not a great car for a family of 4 perhaps.

As far as drivers cars go, the swift and other Japanese cars are the poxy variants with few chances to get a hot hatch here, the only mini to look at is the Cooper S or a JCW ;-) anyhow.

It's like a suit; some people are willing to buy a Zegna suit, some a Hugo Boss and some a Somchai tailors 24 hour job. It's not a question of stupidity, although any amount of money thrown at cars is not necessarily a financially logical decision especially if you compare to other markets...but we don't live in USA nor do we live in the UK so we are stuck with the options here.

Edited by steveromagnino
  • Like 1

I almost bought my wife a mini

The mini in Thailand is for the super rich.

Most Thai settle for the look alike. The Suzuki Swift.

Soon, it's going to be a much easier decision too..

Next month Suzuki will be releasing a 1.2L CVT version of the Swift under the Thai eco-car program. The MT version will be just under 400K (but don't expect much availability in MT though), there will also be 2 CVT models under 500K (GA and GL grade), and a range-topping CVT (GLS) in the mid-500K range...

Next month Suzuki will be releasing a 1.2L CVT version of the Swift under the Thai eco-car program. The MT version will be just under 400K (but don't expect much availability in MT though), there will also be 2 CVT models under 500K (GA and GL grade), and a range-topping CVT (GLS) in the mid-500K range...

Current Suzuki Swift don't qualify for the 1st car rebate. However the new release next month does. Anywhere from 70 to 100K depending on model. If you are a Farang, you may want to consider using mother-in-law name to buy, and split the benefits 50:50.

Current Suzuki Swift don't qualify for the 1st car rebate. However the new release next month does. Anywhere from 70 to 100K depending on model. If you are a Farang, you may want to consider using mother-in-law name to buy, and split the benefits 50:50.

But first find out if mum plays cards eh. coffee1.gif