House By A Lake With A Little Boat

Pseudolus

Heh folks

Within the next year I want to get myself a house by a lake (or close to) where I can have a little boat (presume not sail boat due to lack of wind) where on hot days I can dive into the water and swim without getting a chemical rash or some nasty dysentery type of side effect. I have about a year to go before I make the move which gives me lots of time to look around.

I have looked on the maps; The lakes that look big enough to be fun to tootle about on are in lopburi, Doi Tao, the place with the Bhumibol Dam, Don Sila and near Chaing Rai.

Any insight into these locations (or other gems I have not noticed) would be appreciated as in my limited off time, I plan to explore a couple of the places for a week over the next 6 months.

• Like 1

I have three dogs so a house boat is out (might need one on stilts though I guess). Sirikit is near Chiang Rai? Or am I thinking about somewhere else?

uttaradit. you can anchor your floating house on the bank if you wish.

when they build you your floating house. they also have walkways on the outside for animals and plants. kinda like a front and back yard - but floating.

I have three dogs so a house boat is out (might need one on stilts though I guess). Sirikit is near Chiang Rai? Or am I thinking about somewhere else?

also land available for sale aroung tha-pla, uttaradit. around a medium sized lake. quiet, peaceful and cheap land.

How have you planned to get your hands on the land?

well I had planned on renting initially; this land idea was kind of thrown on me. I do own a share in a real operating company though, and it is pretty secure in that it would be very difficult for the other majority shareholder to steel it from me for various reasons, so perhaps this would be an option. Not thought that far ahead though as I would definitely want to live there for a bit first before setting down roots. The key thing is the swimmability of the lake itself. I just have these nightmares of waking up the next day covered in a big rash and squirting stuff from the back door for a week each time I take a dip.

How have you planned to get your hands on the land?

well I had planned on renting initially; this land idea was kind of thrown on me. I do own a share in a real operating company though, and it is pretty secure in that it would be very difficult for the other majority shareholder to steel it from me for various reasons, so perhaps this would be an option. Not thought that far ahead though as I would definitely want to live there for a bit first before setting down roots. The key thing is the swimmability of the lake itself. I just have these nightmares of waking up the next day covered in a big rash and squirting stuff from the back door for a week each time I take a dip.

you can go to Phrae and ORDER a teak house to your specs. They then deliver to anywhere in Thailand. (think little houses in Phuket etc, they come from Phrae) then rent some land beside the lake and get them to drop off yer house. when you get bored and want to move on, you ring the guy in Phrae and he comes and picks it up and you're away to somewhere else.

you can always sell the teak house anytime. happy days.

the lake here is as clear as day. you have mountains and forests all around. its nice.

Edited by thequietman
  • Like 1

My Gf comes form NS, and said that lake is an industrial dumping spot! Locals call it something like "itchy water". Well, she said "they say everyone calls it itchy water" and I take most of her sentences that begin "they say" with a pinch of salt. Any experience of actually swimming in it?

I'm liking the Phrae idea. I'm liking that a lot. Also the wooden house idea as well. But would that make me a type of trailer park dweller? Would I care? Food for thought.

My Gf comes form NS, and said that lake is an industrial dumping spot! Locals call it something like "itchy water". Well, she said "they say everyone calls it itchy water" and I take most of her sentences that begin "they say" with a pinch of salt. Any experience of actually swimming in it?

I'm liking the Phrae idea. I'm liking that a lot. Also the wooden house idea as well. But would that make me a type of trailer park dweller? Would I care? Food for thought.

I went there rarely when I was dating a lass from there. Have to admit I never saw anyone swimming in it. Took a few boat rides out into the lake and I know there are many rice paddies alongside it. When I took Moln out onto the lake one day she collected some vegetation from the water to take home for salad. Apart from that i would not like to say.

edit - I would add there seems to be no industry around there though they do have a lot of sugar and rice plantations due to the good supply of water.

Edited by pattayadingo

these teak houses dont even come close to trailers. bedrooms,kitchen,living area, balcony, veranda. put it where you want then buy a load of potted plants and shrubs. a lorry load of sea stone, spread it around and you have your little bit of paradise. asked the wife already, land around the lake you can rent for a small amount. wai.gif

Virtually all the lakes in Thailand are now reservoirs and have residents living on them in floating bamboo rafts. There are small villages (bans) located around all the larger reservoirs. All villages have their own problems with polution, However, the bigger reservoirs, away from the floating villages, are relatively clean enough for swimming. There are fish in all of them, but the locals fish constantly with nets and electric shocking devices. They don't leave much for the angler. That's not to say there can't be reasonable angling, but not by world standards. I separate angling from fishing because there ARE differences. Angling is sport fishing. Fishing can be any method, and in Thailand it's almost always for sustenance.

In the province of Chiang Mai there are a number of large and smaller reservoirs. Directly south of Chiang Mai city there are a couple of huge reservoirs on the Ping River near Doi Tao and Sam Ngao. Both are quite scenic once you get away from the main villages.

About a half hour drive north east of Chiang Mai is Mae Kuang reservoir that has reasonable fishing and can't be completely navigated in one day. About an hour and a half north of Chiang mai is Mae Ngat reservoir and popular with weekend guests. It's one of the prettier reservoirs with high cliffs in the central section. Four or five hour drive east of Chaing Mai is the large Sirikut reservoir and it's hundreds of little inlets and bays. At times the fishing can be quite good, but you are ALWAYS competing with the locals and their nets. There are several nice reservoirs north of Lampang where I've had good fishing from a boat. One has just been recently developed (past few years) and the fishing is still quite good for Jungle perch.

The area between Mae Hong Son and Tha Song Yang (far to the south) is mostly made up of river valleys and not many reservoirs.

North west of the city of Kanchanaburi there are several huge reservoirs that would be hard to completely explore in a life time. If you get to the right place at the right time there are some monster Giant snakeheads that will tear your gear up. And, the water is clean enough for swimming once you get away from the villages.

The thing you have to remember is you can't own land, but you CAN rent a floating cottage off one of the locals. How elaborate you want to make it is up to you.

I've got hundreds of similar photos if you track the properties back to the source.

Mae Ngat reservoir

Northern_Thai_lake_13.sized.jpg

Northern_Thai_lake_5.sized.jpg

Northern_Thai_lake_7.sized.jpg

Sirikut Reservoir

Sirikut_floating_lodge_2.sized.jpg

Sirikut_floating_lodge_7.sized.jpg

Floating_dock_3.sized.jpg

Ping River reservoir

Ping_Reservoir_4.sized.jpg

Ping_Reservoir_2.sized.jpg

Ping_reservoir.sized.jpg

Chae Hom reservoir

Dawn_1.sized.jpg

• Like 1

Yes I have a similar goal/dream but im looking for a place by the sea , nice climate, nice house close to the beach, boat big enough to have a small kitchen/small double bed so that i can take it out over night - park within site of the coast line, fish, have a beer, eat , watch the sun set then sleep on deck. Nice retirement set up.

Im thinking Phuket, Bali, Philippines somewhere???

Yes I have a similar goal/dream but im looking for a place by the sea , nice climate, nice house close to the beach, boat big enough to have a small kitchen/small double bed so that i can take it out over night - park within site of the coast line, fish, have a beer, eat , watch the sun set then sleep on deck. Nice retirement set up.

If Myanmar/Burma ever joins the modern world it would be a place worth considering. There is a HUGE coastline in the south that is just what you are looking for. There are rumours that Myanmar is coming out of the dark ages and if they get a sensible plan in place it could push Thailand out of the way for tourism and a place to live without being at risk to a partner who could take your whole investment..

Try Rhyl in Wales; very cheap housing there I hear giggle.gif

Actually I am not a fisherman; tried it a few times but not really liked it. I can work from anywhere though really (would need internet though so living in the wilds would not be an option really). I guess though that on the larger lakes one could live close by but also have a house boat somewhere else for pure escapism.

The options close to Chiang Mai would take precedence initially I guess.

Try Rhyl in Wales; very cheap housing there I hear giggle.gif

Actually I am not a fisherman; tried it a few times but not really liked it. I can work from anywhere though really (would need internet though so living in the wilds would not be an option really). I guess though that on the larger lakes one could live close by but also have a house boat somewhere else for pure escapism.

The options close to Chiang Mai would take precedence initially I guess.

Mae Kuang reservoir is probably more practical for you then. It is still within cel phone range and only a half hour drive from Chiang Mai. However, you must understand that ALL reservoirs have a draw down period in the dry season and that can mean about a change of 30 feet in vertical height. That is why the Thais have floating villages on bamboo rafts. They can move them as the reservoir recedes.

Many interesting lakes and rivers all over Thailand.

I was suprised to find water skiing going on at this lake near Chiang Rai.

There is a lake about 15 -20 Kilometers South East of Chaing Rai City with Water Skiing and Wake Boarding.

Huai Sak is on Highway 1020 going East from Chiang Rai City.

Huaisak, Chiang Rai, Thailand

There is some local opposition to this activity promoted by expats who have a ski school at this lake.

Wakeboard_Pro_PWB_35.jpg

Virtually all the lakes in Thailand are now reservoirs and have residents living on them in floating bamboo rafts.

<snip>

North west of the city of Kanchanaburi there are several huge reservoirs that would be hard to completely explore in a life time. If you get to the right place at the right time there are some monster Giant snakeheads that will tear your gear up. And, the water is clean enough for swimming once you get away from the villages.

The thing you have to remember is you can't own land, but you KAN rent a floating cottage off one of the locals. How elaborate you want to make it is up to you.

<snip>

Good post Ian and thank you for mentioning Kan.

Yes there are places in Kan on both reservoirs that may/could offer you rent for "House By A Lake With A Little Boat", however you have to find them and see if that is what you are looking for.

http://www.pbase.com/win13/dams

Win wai.gif

I certainly am grateful for all the thought going into this, and am making a short list. Will take the DSLR with me on my research trips and share on here of course. I'm now in sort of two minds; the more direct idea of somewhere 30k away from a large Chiang Mai type if place or just bite the bullet and go completely off track in the middle of nowhere but as a second home which time allowing, might be a good excuse to relight my other passion in life; helicopters!

Anyone know of a helicopter school in Thailand? (this is less serious, but if the price is right...)

There is some local opposition to this activity promoted by expats who have a ski school at this lake.

Wakeboard_Pro_PWB_35.jpg

Why, because it's not Thai owned and operated?

Noise and pollution wouldn't be the reason, as Thais clearly don't care about either. So money and them not getting any of it would be the next reason I'd come to.