Bangkok's 'Hitler Chic' Trend Riles Tourists, Israeli Envoy

webfact

While the Pandas are just creepy, I am wondering if the Ronald McHitler isn't a jab at multinational corporate greed.

While directly comparing one to the other misses the mark, you can draw certain analogies. For example, I wonder how many people worldwide will die from heart related illnesses due to stuffing their faces with the garbage McDonald's and their ilk peddle to the masses. Sure they aren't pushing people in to gas chambers, but people are dying just the same.

Starbucks is my all time favourite. Remember when they were accused of buying coffee (using middlemen so they could deny all knowledge) harvested by child slave labour? They came back with their even more absurdly over-priced 'fair trade' coffee which they guaranteed wasn't harvested by kids. By default they were admitting that they coudn't guarantee the same about their regular stuff.

Conscience? Only if they feel the bottom line will suffer.

• Like 2

Most of the Thai's are quite ignorant about the subject of Nazism. I'd say only the most highly educated understand who hitler was and what he did. Thai's see the swastika and only think of their religion. Buddists did have the symbol thousands of years before hitler decided to shame it. I doubt even if they did know what a swastika represented in the western world it would change anything. This is Thailand. Don't take it too seriously.

There's a difference between the religious swastika and the one Hitler used, Hitler's being a mirror image of the religious one. Also Hitler's has a white and red background and the religious one has none. The problem is that most Thais don't even know who Hitler is! They need to be educated about it to prevent s.it like this from ever happening again. They take it as disrespectful when foreigners have Buddha tattoos therefore they should be respectful enough to not put Nazi s.it on public display.

As a German i feel ashamed. Sorry.

You are a German of this generation. You should have no reason to be ashamed. The evil was commited by past generations.

However your people are well aware of the evils of Naziism and Hitler's rule and have strict rules regarding Nazi symbolism and its abuse.

That would also apply to Japanese people. They understand history. Thais have yet to learn.

I am interested that you believe that the Japanese understand history. If you mean by wiping history out of the classroom they understand it, then yes, you are correct. No Japanese children are taught anything of WW2 that bears any resemblance to actual events, nor are they told of the rape of Nanking and other atrocities that were inflicted on the Chinese by the Japanese.

I find the whole Thai thing with the shirts a bit funny and ironic. I am amazed (but shouldn't be) at the amount of TV members that have jumped on the outrage bus, that in itself is pathetic. The only comments worthy of merit or relevance are the ones by Geriatrickid concerning copyright issues.

Maybe the youth see Hitler as someone they can relate to as in the not too distant future Thailand may have its own Hitler in the form of Thaksin. Very similar backgrounds really, risen to power from nothing, both holding lowly positions as Corporal, one in the army one in the police, and very skilled manipulators of public opinion and crowd behaviour.

For those it applies to, please stop going on about use of the swastika on helmets and stuff in Thailand. LONG before Hitler got hold of the symbol it had been in use already for a couple of thousand years in the esoteric religions of Asia. It is an important Hindu symbol and means eternity and Buddhism in China.

Mate, Hitler's swastika is a mirror image of the religious swastika therefore it's not a religious symbol. Especially not if it has the white and red background!!!

oh well , everything is good enough to make money in this country .... unfortunately I am sure so many thais dont have any idea of what happend during the war and what Hitler did to the people , not only the jews but , gypsies , homosexual, communist etc ..... ignorance is the key and lack in education another one.

What did he do to the homosexual? Personally rape them?

What did he do to the communist? If he remove them, that is a big plus for USA and the Western world isn't it.

Pity those who are as ignorant as....

If tourists from specific countries are riled by these T-shirts now, just wait a minute. By reporting from the media, this will have an opposite effect from getting rid of the offensive T-shirts to making them more popular.

The printers must be rubbing their hands together. Publicity, adverse or not, is still publicity.

• Like 1

As already pointed out, Stalin put Hitler distinctly in the shade with his prowess for putting millions to death, and you don't have to look very far to find other runners-up, so what's the big taboo with Hitler? I for one came here to escape the strychnined, egg-shell tip-toeing that passes for daily existence in the "mustn't offend anyone" West. grow a set & stop projecting your insecurities into what everyone knows to be one of the most polite cultures on the block.

It doesn't have much to do with freedom of speech, or a personal choice to voice an opinion, it would appear to be more of a case of complete ignorance. This trend simply highlights the fact that most Thais have limited knowledge of history and what is going on in the rest of the world, they are a lot like Americans in that way.

• Like 2

The whole Hitler thing is OUR (mental) problem not theirs.

It used to be amusing to us too before PC'ism took over.

Do you think Basil Fawlty would get away with his Hitler walk today? How about Hogan's Heroes, that's going back about 30 years now, hilarious stuff "I know nutting!". Nah, Nazis, how dare they use Nazis as a vehicle for comedy, that's insensitive to blah blah blah.

So therefore it's our problem, too, if WE feel WE want a Buddha Tattoo, which the Thais didn't like AT ALL, right

Isreal should stop bugging Thailand and Nazi, and terrorism.

Could you try to rewrite that in semi-understandable English?

''Sorry sir, he's from Barcelona, MANWELL''......................... '' Yes Mr.Faulty".

BASIL: You know nothing.

MANUEL: I know nutheeeeeeeeeeng.

As already pointed out, Stalin put Hitler distinctly in the shade with his prowess for putting millions to death, and you don't have to look very far to find other runners-up, so what's the big taboo with Hitler? I for one came here to escape the strychnined, egg-shell tip-toeing that passes for daily existence in the "mustn't offend anyone" West. grow a set & stop projecting your insecurities into what everyone knows to be one of the most polite cultures on the block.

It doesn't have much to do with freedom of speech, or a personal choice to voice an opinion, it would appear to be more of a case of complete ignorance. This trend simply highlights the fact that most Thais have limited knowledge of history and what is going on in the rest of the world, they are a lot like Americans in that way.

And as we all know, ignorance is bliss ;) Sometimes people need to take a minute to remember why they came to this country.

I was in the Korat shopping centre and one small shop was selling swastika flags along side the British Flag ( union Jack ) i said to my girlfriend about it and she just said it's just a picture on a flag, I told her to look at youtube about what happen she did'nt bother as thats in the past and is not important and you can't eat it or sell it. That's what it comes down to,as one member said " Thai ignorance of history is just stunning" If you drive down to Hua Hin from Bangkok you wil see a big gold dome with a big red Swastika on the dome, maybe an old Asia symbol but it still brings the memories back to most farang one way or another.

Edited by denishuahin

oh well , everything is good enough to make money in this country .... unfortunately I am sure so many thais dont have any idea of what happend during the war and what Hitler did to the people , not only the jews but , gypsies , homosexual, communist etc ..... ignorance is the key and lack in education another one.

What did he do to the homosexual? Personally rape them?

What did he do to the communist? If he remove them, that is a big plus for USA and the Western world isn't it.

I don't know if I should report you.

I don't know, because I have no idea what to start with: your complete ignorance or stupidity or your utter un-thoughfullness or ...or...or....

What about reading a book from time to time...or maybe easier for you: watch the history channel!

What did he do to the homosexuals?

Lost for words!

As a gay man I do not take offence of this stupidity, I take offence of the fact that like sparabox2 there are still people who just can not let others be and always need to discriminate others, because they feel unsure about themselves

Not just tourists, but tax paying workers too. Not every white face is a tourist. Poor reporting. How many people reading ThaiVisa have a relative who died during this war....on either side (the frontline men were trying to do the "right" thing for their country)?

I know of 3 relatives in my family alone.

None in my family died. They all fought for the allies and killed the nazi scum.

Wow Javabear you're a nice person. I am British and proud. I am pleased that the end result of the war was to allow a dictator led country experience a freedom that has produced a stunning economy. The relationship between our 2 countries would be so much better without blind racism. I take it that you are enjoying the display of narrow minded racist paraphernalia!

• Like 2

In the context of this discussion it might be worth pointing out that Thailand was actually an ally of the Axis powers during World War 2, a fact that has been largely forgotten with the help of a little convenient historical revisionism. There was a short war fought between Thailand and the Vichy French administrators of French Indochina in the early 40's which the Japanese had to come in and mediate, since they were supposed to be on the same side.

These T-shirts are more evidence of utter stupidity and ignorance than any malice. There were Osama Bin Laden T-shirts for sale on Sukhumvit Road within weeks of 9/11, and I have on more than one occasion seen very mild-mannered middle aged Thai women wearing T-shirts with slogans like "F&*K you, you f*%#ing F*&k" (without the special characters) apparently with no idea what the words actually meant.

• Like 1

I was in the Korat shopping centre and one small were selling swastika flags along side the British Flag ( union Jack ) i sad to my girlfriend about it and just got it just a picture on a flag, I told her to look at youtube about what happen she did'nt bother as thats in the past and is not important and you can't eat it or sell it. That's what it comes down to,as one member said " Thai ignorance of history is just stunning"

If you drive down to Hua Hin from Bangkok you wil see a big gold dome with a big red Swastika on the done, maybe an old Asia symbol but it still brings the memories back to most farang one way or another.

You GF hits the nail on the head, they are not interested in history,unless it relates to how much dosh they had in the bank last year, and as far as the future is concerned, it's wondering how much money they will have in the bank at the end of this year !

Once again Thailand hits a homerun for ignorance.

I think the British Royals beat them to it.

Yes. Love this one.

I'd hazard that "Ignorance" isn't the right word for Harry's use of the Hitler outfit. It would be extraordinary if a commissioned officer in the British Army, and descendant of the Royal Saxe-Coburg and Gotha dynasty was unaware of the events of WW2.I prefer the word "unfortunate" to describe that incident; unfortunate that society once again failed to call out the nude & exhibitionist emperor of PC, and instead passed another compliment on his finery.

I think you're all mistaken about some of this.

The Ronald McDonald that looks like Hitler makes a lot of sense to me.

Americans have killed much much more muslims, directly and indirectly, than the 2nd world war jews.

Their behaviour is shaded by their mighty TV and Cinema propaganda and it's hard to see through, but they are at least the equals of Germand Nazis.

Little Ronald McHitler makes so much sense to me.

If you don't see that then you're the ignorant brainwashed one.

Edited by reggaebkk
  • Like 2

They don't even have a handle on their own history and they don't know the geographical footprint of Thailand and its neighbors, but ignorance is not an excuse for the ignorant or those that perpetuate the ignorance. Vietnam is nearly 100% literate and you see everybody reading. What is the literacy rate in Thailand? Never see anybody reading, or even carrying any reading material.

As a German i feel ashamed. Sorry.

That would also apply to Japanese people. They understand history. Thais have yet to learn.

Spoken to many Japanese about Nanjing and WWII more broadly? I wouldn't say many (any?) of those I have "understand history". Certainly not in the way I was taught in school and have read beyond. At most, a couple who have travelled widely have the sense that they haven't been told the full story.

For one reason or another people have a fascination the Hitler/Nazi periof of history. It is mazing how a talking corporal could rise to such a position to be well on the way to taking over the world before it colapsed around him, we discuss the subject ad infinitum.

For it to pop up here in another form does show ignorance of the image, period of history and what these symbols mean to different people, but, as Thailand appears not teach much history and Thais in general seem to know little or nothing of the WW2 in Europe is it a surprise they dont understand that they are upsetting people as indeed we saw from Chiang Mai last year and they still do what they want and learn nothing, we will just have to get used to that.