Bangkok's 'Hitler Chic' Trend Riles Tourists, Israeli Envoy

webfact

This is not about Jews, Russians, or any one race! Nor is this about the amount of time that has past. This is clearly about intelligents! This is about an Idea of wiping out certain races of human kind! that can never be forgotten nor tolerated. Shame on you those hear in Thailand that refuse to take responsibility for this kind of action!

Growing up in London during the war us kids would often walk around parodying Hitler, one finger held under our noses as a mustache, the other arm raised in the Nazi salute, we found it funny. We were not supporting him, we were taking the piss.

• Like 1

As a German i feel ashamed. Sorry.
You are a German of this generation. You should have no reason to be ashamed. The evil was commited by past generations. However your people are well aware of the evils of Naziism and Hitler's rule and have strict rules regarding Nazi symbolism and its abuse. That would also apply to Japanese people. They understand history. Thais have yet to learn.

German soldiers in WWII were patriots first and foremost. Many were Nazi, SS and other fanatics. Germans understand the past and apologies for the nazis are not necessary any more. Education of Hitler's evil and how a charismatic leader can lead a nation into destruction should be tought to every generation, in every country.

Interesting. Hitler this notorious man is responsible for WWII. demanded 10 million people. Not only jews, but including Hiroshima. Communists and red star demanded more than 110 million life.... They are still sitting on the European Parliament..... Please be fair, if you don't like this side, u cannot leave this without words too.

Growing up in London during the war us kids would often walk around parodying Hitler, one finger held under our noses as a mustache, the other arm raised in the Nazi salute, we found it funny. We were not supporting him, we were taking the piss.

Thats not surprising at all considering England has one of the longest and most shameful legacies of Anti-Semetism of any country on Earth. I'll bet your glad all the Jews there have been replaced with vile bearded Islamic clerics calling for Sharia Law in Great Britain right?

oh well , everything is good enough to make money in this country .... unfortunately I am sure so many thais dont have any idea of what happend during the war and what Hitler did to the people , not only the jews but , gypsies , homosexual, communist etc ..... ignorance is the key and lack in education another one.

They don't even have a handle on their own history and they don't know the geographical footprint of Thailand and its neighbors, but ignorance is not an excuse for the ignorant or those that perpetuate the ignorance. Vietnam is nearly 100% literate and you see everybody reading. What is the literacy rate in Thailand? Never see anybody reading, or even carrying any reading material.

I see lots in the bookshops reading the books in there, they may, of course, just bee looking at the pictures,but, I dont see many books being bought. You can only buy what is available, need I say more?

Reminds me of the period after 9/11 when one would occasionally see Bin laden T-shirts warn by Thai's with a drawing of the twin towers collapsing on the back. Boggles the mind.

Using the swastika image, as the Chiang Mai students did some time ago is one thing since it's an ancient religious symbol, but glorifying Hitler and using Ronald McDonald as a Hitler image is a bit much. I expect McDonalds Corp., to sue soon.

Thai ignorance of history is just stunning. No doubt some politicians will soon be seen sporting the Little Dictator moustache.

post-9891-0-69494100-1330314126_thumb.jp

Perhaps some young ignorant soul with cash to splash here will open a slimming spa called Buchenwald Bodyworks. Pathetic.annoyed.gif

Dressing like Hitler, Hitler moustaches, and SS uniforms are not ancient religious symbols, all of which the Chaing mai students used in the incident you are citing.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

I am interested that you believe that the Japanese understand history. If you mean by wiping history out of the classroom they understand it, then yes, you are correct. No Japanese children are taught anything of WW2 that bears any resemblance to actual events, nor are they told of the rape of Nanking and other atrocities that were inflicted on the Chinese by the Japanese.

I have to agree ... the Japs remember or acknowledge little of their past atrocities and it's certainly not taught factually as part of their schooling.

Where the Germans came out and said sorry ... trite word in it's own context I know ... but they acknowledged then, as they do now what happened.

The next war won’t be fought between countries ... it will be religion based ... god love the Buddhist ideology

In the context of this discussion it might be worth pointing out that Thailand was actually an ally of the Axis powers during World War 2, a fact that has been largely forgotten with the help of a little convenient historical revisionism. There was a short war fought between Thailand and the Vichy French administrators of French Indochina in the early 40's which the Japanese had to come in and mediate, since they were supposed to be on the same side.

These T-shirts are more evidence of utter stupidity and ignorance than any malice. There were Osama Bin Laden T-shirts for sale on Sukhumvit Road within weeks of 9/11, and I have on more than one occasion seen very mild-mannered middle aged Thai women wearing T-shirts with slogans like "F&*K you, you f*%#ing F*&k" (without the special characters) apparently with no idea what the words actually meant.

In the context of this discussion it might be worth pointing out that Thailand was actually an ally of the Axis powers during World War 2

Interesting take on history. The declaration wasn't delivered to the US, but unfortunately,

In the immediate aftermath of the attack on Pearl Harbor, Japanese forces invaded Thailand's territory on the morning of December 8, 1941. Only hours after the invasion, the then prime minister Field Marshal Phibunsongkhram, ordered the cessation of resistance against the Japanese. On December 21, 1941, a military alliance with Japan was signed and on January 25, 1942 Sang Phathanothai read over the radio Thailand's formal declaration of war on the United Kingdom and the United States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axis_powers#Thailand

Should be taken seriously, wearing this garbage shows either a complete ignorance of what the nazis did or an attitude of 'really don't care'. Both of these things need to be addressed and challanged at every turn.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

I am tired of reading of Thai ignorance and thus, innocence every time they do something that shows insensitivity to other cultures. I know many educated Thais. They are not all buffoons. The persons who create these products are knowledgeable enough to reproduce the images and obviously know the history. I think the real message is they don't care. It is not part of their personal history and they can make some money. This is what is important, not the feelings of falangs.

Edited by kirk0233
  • Like 2

Aside from the ignorance of glamorizing der Fuhrer, this situation basically is a very bold statement of the complete disregard and contempt that Thailand has for intellectual property, trade dress,and trademarks. Teletubbies, Ronald McDonald etc. are all trademarks and important assets of others. Those groups have invested millions if not billions of baht into building their respective brands. Teletubbies which is intended for young kids deserves better than to have its image raped and violated by a bunch of greedy, ignorant thieves. And yes that's what these businesses are. They aren't just robbing their victims, they are peeing on them as well. One can laugh this off all one wants, but it is this attitude that explains in part why no foreign entities have insignificant R&D investments in Thailand.

Hmm, you are passionate about intellectual property rights- does this mean you (and those posters who clicked 'like' on your post) have never bought a copy DVD? Really? And FYI, Thailand has massive foreign investment flowing in.

On the whole i think its positive that hitler is being made into an object of ridicule.

How often in the west have I seen young Leftist university types wearing T-shirts bearing the photos of

Joseph Stalin,

Mao tse tung

Vladimir lenin

Idi Amin

Sometimes there is a comical element to the T shirt, sometimes nationalistic, sometimes just the photo.

These are freely available to buy at market stalls and the like, and I see people wearing them all the time back in Australia and have done for 30+ years. They seem to have a 'cool' fashionable element for some people.

I never hear uproar over this in Australia, yet these people they are glorifying were essentially ruthless dictators. Perhaps it's because it is not such a part of western culture and psyche. A bit like Hitler/Swastika images might be to the average Thai.

• Like 1

Doesn't anyone find the t-shirts just a teensy weensy bit funny? I certainly do.

People bang on and on about what happened so long ago. Move on, get irreverent and take the piss. Much more enjoyable and better for your mental health.

• Like 1

As already pointed out, Stalin put Hitler distinctly in the shade with his prowess for putting millions to death, and you don't have to look very far to find other runners-up, so what's the big taboo with Hitler? I for one came here to escape the strychnined, egg-shell tip-toeing that passes for daily existence in the "mustn't offend anyone" West. grow a set & stop projecting your insecurities into what everyone knows to be one of the most polite cultures on the block.

Thank you for pointing that out for those that think only the Jews suffered. Gypsies were also exterminated, but it's still OK to be politically incorrect about them.

As for mass murderers, Mao was right up there, but no one in the west seems perturbed about him. In fact, many of the so called intelligensia still admire him. And, let's not forget that China's leaders are still involved in trying to destroy the Tibetan culture, but Obama still gives a state welcome to the Chinese vice premier.

Seems to me that a lot of people want to have it both ways with bad leaders- but that's a tad hypocrytical, no?

It also seems to be apparent that a lot of people don't realise that Thailand was allied to the Axis side in the war.

Perhaps it's time for some to go back "home" and confront the bikie gang members wearing Nazi helmets and other paraphanalia, but I doubt that will happen, as it would require them to actually put themselves at more risk than bleating on anonymously on a forum.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

As already pointed out, Stalin put Hitler distinctly in the shade with his prowess for putting millions to death, and you don't have to look very far to find other runners-up, so what's the big taboo with Hitler? I for one came here to escape the strychnined, egg-shell tip-toeing that passes for daily existence in the "mustn't offend anyone" West. grow a set & stop projecting your insecurities into what everyone knows to be one of the most polite cultures on the block.

It doesn't have much to do with freedom of speech, or a personal choice to voice an opinion, it would appear to be more of a case of complete ignorance. This trend simply highlights the fact that most Thais have limited knowledge of history and what is going on in the rest of the world, they are a lot like Americans in that way.

Why should the Thais be expected to know about WW2 in Europe (let alone WW1) ? What do Westerners know about what happened to Asiatic countries in WW2? Perhaps not an awful lot, apart from Bridge-over-the-River-Kwai kind of history. And the Japanese da da da....And Americans (but Brits too) always conveniently erase the contribution of "commies" like Ho Chi Min to resisting Japanese aggression.

Ive heard this dumb excuse before and its ridiculous for several reasons. 1. Thailand was involved in WWII just like the West was and it was the West that liberated them from the Japanese. 2. I didn't learn about Buddhism, The Thai Monarchy or saving face where I came from either but I am dam_n sure expected to show respect for them. 3. Most Westerners I know are quite aware of the Japanese atrocities during WWII. Seems odd to me that violence is a justifiable course of action for the rest of the world against perceived insults by the west REGARDLESS of where they take place but when Muslims defacate and urinate in the Church of the Nativity or Thais turn the Holocaust into a big joke everyone is supposed to just get over it.

Incoherent. Sort your "arguments' out and we might be able to respond to them properly.

Why should the Thais be expected to know about WW2 in Europe (let alone WW1) ? What do Westerners know about what happened to Asiatic countries in WW2? Perhaps not an awful lot, apart from Bridge-over-the-River-Kwai kind of history. And the Japanese da da da....And Americans (but Brits too) always conveniently erase the contribution of "commies" like Ho Chi Min to resisting Japanese aggression.

Ive heard this dumb excuse before and its ridiculous for several reasons. 1. Thailand was involved in WWII just like the West was and it was the West that liberated them from the Japanese. 2. I didn't learn about Buddhism, The Thai Monarchy or saving face where I came from either but I am dam_n sure expected to show respect for them. 3. Most Westerners I know are quite aware of the Japanese atrocities during WWII. Seems odd to me that violence is a justifiable course of action for the rest of the world against perceived insults by the west REGARDLESS of where they take place but when Muslims defacate and urinate in the Church of the Nativity or Thais turn the Holocaust into a big joke everyone is supposed to just get over it.

Thats not surprising at all considering England has one of the longest and most shameful legacies of Anti-Semetism of any country on Earth. I'll bet your glad all the Jews there have been replaced with vile bearded Islamic clerics calling for Sharia Law in Great Britain right?

5 posts and down to baiting and trolling already! Welcome. By the way, reference your 'point number 2' above. That's part of choosing to come and live in another country. I know very little of the post Mayan/Aztec political history of South America, why should I, I have never been taught it. Thais know the square root of sod all about WW2 in Europe, why should they?

• Like 2