Are My Expectations Too High?

MhairiBeaton

Hi everyone!

I moved to Bangkok at the end of January and so far I love it. I always knew that finding work at this time of year would be difficult but not impossible. So far it’s proving to be harder than I anticipated. Based on my research I hoped to find a position teaching in central(ish) Bangkok with a salary of 38,000k + (teaching adults or kids).

A little about me: I am a 26yo, white, British female. I graduated in 2008 with a BA(Hons) in marketing. I completed a 20hr ‘intensive’ TEFL course through the company i-2-i. I moved to Paris and taught adults for just over a year. Although my TEFL course was certainly no CELTA the actual teaching taught me more than I think many courses could.

So far I have had several interviews here and a couple of job offers. The job offers were with 2 of the big language centres. One was in Rangsit and the other was in Rama 2. The position in Rama 2 was with a salary of 32,000k. I was told that I would need a CELTA for the work permit (which is not true according to my research) and that I could do it through them for free. The only catch? I would be tied to them for at least 6months and would have to buy myself out of the contract if I left early. Needless to say, I did not accept the job offer. I have another 2 interviews this week, both outside Bangkok and not accessible via BTS or MRT. Infact, for one I have been instructed to take a taxi which will take about an hour, not very wallet friendly!

I am currently teaching at a kindergarten p/t which I really enjoy but it is temporary until the end of March. I have done a few walk-ins where I left my CV and photo with grinning and/or rude receptionists (One even laughed in my face!) and I just ended up feeling disgruntled.

I know that the likes of Rangsit and Rama 2 are not terribly far from Bangkok and the cost of living is cheaper there. However, I have made friends here and I don’t want to have to travel at least an hour each way if I want to catch up with them for a quick drink. I want to teach in Thailand but I also want to enjoy life.

I’ve lowered my salary expectations to 35,000k a month but still feel like I am hitting my head against a brick wall.

Any constructive advice would be massively appreciated. grin.gif

One of the major chains of schools will have openings. The starting salary is 35,000. Work permit etc. is provided. Females are in greater demand than males, especially for KG level.

In your search, you might find yourself outside central BKK, but many of the places are not an expensive taxi ride to the BTS/subway.

You will likely be much happier at a regular school than a language school. Things are much more predictable at most.

• Like 1

If the search does not turn out check out chochai school in rangsit near dream world. I have a bunch of south African friends who work there. Think they earn around what you are looking got maybe slightly less after taxes. Anyways most of them rent a house for like 5000-6000 so the money you would save could go to travel. Its a mainly young group out there seems OK if you can get along.

Alternatively there is a few schools in lad phrao and huay kwang... British couincil another chochai one my British friend works for and Keith that I know of.

I don't teach myself so not sure the requirements but ill be happyto give you a contact number if you want.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Don't work for a language school, all of the people I know who work for them get shafted. They often requite horrendously long hours in order to earn a half decent salary, and don't give you many/any holidays

You don't need a CELTA for your workpermit/visa, you have a TESOL cert which is fine, don't let them convince you into thinking that you need one, that's just bullshit.

Don't take a contract which tries to shaft you in any way, e.g. having to buy your way out of it etc if you want to leave early.

Don't take a job which wants you to teach too many hours each week unless they're going to pay you mega bucks.

Don't take a job which requires you to work weekends / hours which you'd prefer to not work.

You have a TESOL Cert + Bachelor's degree (So workpermits etc aren't a problem)

You have 1 year's teaching experience (So you actually know how to teach, and had the stickability to get through a year and still want more)

You're a chick and reasonably presentable (Schools prefer people who are presentable, and there's such an imbalance of male teachers rather than female, so most of the schools I know prefer to have a female instead of a male teacher)

You are a very employable person.

You'll see tonnes of jobs advertised over the next 2-3 months, particularly towards the end of April as a lot of Thai schools are quite slack, you can also probably just walk into schools in the area you want to teach at, and see if they're looking for a farang teacher.

imo apply at a government school, you should get the salary range you're after. Also you'll get normal hours (8am - 4pm Mon-Fri), with maybe 18-24 teaching hours a week, and good holidays (probably 2-3 weeks in October, 1+ months in March/April/May, which effectively boosts the salary, since you're not having to work as much to get it). They'll likely want you to "chill out" at the school during the day between classes, but you'll likely have lesson prep/marking etc to do anyway, so would spend most of that time at school regardless.

Although in saying all that, I've never taught in BKK, only Isaan, so what I've reccommended above is what I'd usually expect from an Isaan school (Although 35k is the highest starting salary I've seen in an Isaan govt school, they range between 25k-35k depending on the province/district). However since BKK is where the money is, and the cost of living is significantly higher, the salaries should be higher too (Thais in BKK usually earn almost 2x in BKK than what they do in Isaan). So your 38k+ is a reasonable expectation I think, although depending on the amount of teaching hours/holidays etc, it might be a little lower.

If you have trouble finding jobs in BKK, and don't mind braving the countryside or a small city, there's plenty of jobs going in Isaan :-P

Edited by SlyAnimal

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the advice. Sadly, my hunt for decent employment is still ongoing. Luckily I have managed to secure part-time work until something full time comes up.

I would like to ask your opinion about one position I have been offered....

The position is through an agency. It seems to be very well run and all lesson plans and materials are provided. Visa is paid by the company and health insurance is provided. The salary is 35,000 increasing to 37,000 after two months. As this was only slightly less than my expectations I thought this sounded like a good deal. However, I have since found out that there is no holiday allowance (other than Thai public holidays) and that 5% of the salary is deducted every month for 'insurance'.

What do you think? Do the other benefits outweigh not-so-great salary or should I keep looking?

Thanks!

No agency or Language school will give you paid vacations. I know that I didn't move to Thailand to spend all of my life in an office or classroom, a few weeks of vacation time can really improve your quality of life here and will give you time to see more of the country.

As Sly Animal noted, you are very employable and should be able to get a job directly with a school with at least that much pay and with some paid vacation time. If you can keep looking, I'm sure that something better will turn up.

/agree, keep looking.

You should be able to get a package at a government school which will pay a similar amount and should give you paid holidays :)

Late March - Early May is the kinda "peak season" for government schools to advertise.

I would suggest also checking out some of the schools outside BKK too, as then you can see the "real" Thailand and give you more options to choose from at the same time. Also you'll find that the jobs are easier to pickup outside of BKK, as there's less competition, the salaries are a little lower but the cost of living significantly lower :)