The Game With Metal Balls Called "Pétanque" Or "Boules"

gypsyrodeo

Pétanque is a French game with metal balls. For those who are not familiar with the game, it's like bocce but instead of wooden balls we use metal ones.

It is a a national sport in Laos, and I hear people are playing the game in Chiang Mai, but I'm not sure where.

Could someone tell me of the different parks they're playing at?

Also, are there any pétanque clubs in Chiang Mai?

Thanks in advance.

G-

I've seen this game played by champaigne-sipping ( and I hasten to add, still sober) participants in rural Australia. Very refined looking people. No peasants there.

Could someone please enlighten me as to why there appears to be so much excitement attached to playing a game which seems to have so very little skill attached to it. What am I missing - except the point ?

Cheers.

I've seen this game played by champaigne-sipping ( and I hasten to add, still sober) participants in rural Australia. Very refined looking people. No peasants there.

Could someone please enlighten me as to why there appears to be so much excitement attached to playing a game which seems to have so very little skill attached to it. What am I missing - except the point ?

Cheers.

It's actually a very skillfull - and fun - game.

Cheers.

...something like golf....without all this walking laugh.png

Cheers.

Thanks snoother. You've restored some balance to my dismayed mind. I can see that it is clearly a fun game and, I suppose, that's what any game should be.

Skill ? Well , I still have my doubts !

Cheers.

Thanks snoother. You've restored some balance to my dismayed mind. I can see that it is clearly a fun game and, I suppose, that's what any game should be.

Cheers.

I don't know if you are serious or not. It's like asking if they are skills with pool, darts or bowling. The goal of this game is to throw your team's metal balls the closest possible to the small wooden ball. When this little ball is 5 or more meters away from you can easily imagine you need some kind of dexterity to do it well.

In this game there are basically two different ways to throw the ball, the "point" where you throw the ball straight at the small ball, and let it roll until it stops, and the "shoot" where you throw it quite fast aiming at a well placed opponent ball, in the hope of removing it. Best shooters can not only knock out the opponent's ball with a high frequency but also leave their ball at the point of impact. This is an extremly difficult shot to make and always brings cheers in a casual game when succeeded.

Once you know the basics you can check the strategic side of the game. To shoot or to point? Take the risky shot for the win or limit the points damage? Where to place the balls? How to protect your well placed ball? Decisions are not always easy...

Ok, I hope I removed your doubts. If you really want it, you can also check out what the best players can do in televised tournaments. Be careful it is almost as boring as watching curling.

• Like 2

Cheers.

I don't know if you are serious or not. It's like asking if they are skills with pool, darts or bowling. The goal of this game is to throw your team's metal balls the closest possible to the small wooden ball. When this little ball is 5 or more meters away from you can easily imagine you need some kind of dexterity to do it well.

In this game there are basically two different ways to throw the ball, the "point" where you throw the ball straight at the small ball, and let it roll until it stops, and the "shoot" where you throw it quite fast aiming at a well placed opponent ball, in the hope of removing it. Best shooters can not only knock out the opponent's ball with a high frequency but also leave their ball at the point of impact. This is an extremly difficult shot to make and always brings cheers in a casual game when succeeded.

Once you know the basics you can check the strategic side of the game. To shoot or to point? Take the risky shot for the win or limit the points damage? Where to place the balls? How to protect your well placed ball? Decisions are not always easy...

Ok, I hope I removed your doubts. If you really want it, you can also check out what the best players can do in televised tournaments. Be careful it is almost as boring as watching curling.

Thanks again snoother. That's a great post. Love it.

Makes me wonder why I ever had any doubts about this game and I'm also beginning to wonder whether my initial observation could possibly have been a little biased (as in distantly related lawn bowls).

Must admit I was a little mischievous. I suppose it might help to re-assess and settle my opinion by going out to watch a few exciting (?) games at 700 Year Stadium - as gypsyrodeo suggested.

You posting has moved me! I'm also off to watch some curling !!

Thank you and cheers.

P.S. Have just watched one of the 2011 Master Petanque Championship games - and I am deeply impressed at the great skill displayed by those players. I had absolutely no idea of the accuracy demanded of a good player. No, I am reformed and I'm not being mischievous. You have my permission to refer any doubters to me.

Edited by SwaziBird

If you are looking for a club, there are several in and around Chiang Mai.

There's a very active one in Tambon Faham, if you take the Faham road towards San Pee Sua, after the little tunnel under Super Highway, continue north, pass Tarad Kae Jao, and then you will see them playing at different fields left and right of the road (mostly after 6pm)

I am sure they will welcome you to participate.

I've seen some pretty well organised and serious competitions (monthly or so during the weekends) on the large field opposite Tarad Kae Jao, seemed to me that there were many different teams competing (I saw them wearing uniforms and team colours).

In Europe "Jeux de Boules" or "Petanque" is very popular in France (and other countries). I don't know the exact origin of the game but we all like to picture playing the game on the village square of a small town in the Provence, under the typical wallnut tree while sipping away a Pastis. The game is played by all members of society of all ages and certainly not bonded to the peasants only.

Edited by KhunVee

• 10 years later...

Can play at Gymkhana Club 5 minutes down the Lamphun Road (turn left signposted) from Nawarat Bridge in Chiang Mai. Also play disc golf there on Saturday afternoons. Play under wonderful 100 years old Rain Tree.

Beautiful old club. Good inexpensive food. very good 9 hole golf course and driving range. Snooker, Tennis, squash also. Cricket on occasion.