English As Your Mother Tongue?

Sing_Sling

English, mother tongue - Yes or No  

170 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one and only good thing about compulsory French lessons in the 60's for me was the French teacher. Ooh la lah! She knocked spots off the rest of the teachers at school. Not that we learned much French but it was fun trying :)

The one and only good thing about compulsory French lessons in the 60's for me was the French teacher. Ooh la lah! She knocked spots off the rest of the teachers at school. Not that we learned much French but it was fun trying smile.png

I used to go hitch-hiking in France from time to time; it was good practice for being unable to understand a word of what anyone said, and safer than going to Glasgow.

SC

The one and only good thing about compulsory French lessons in the 60's for me was the French teacher. Ooh la lah! She knocked spots off the rest of the teachers at school. Not that we learned much French but it was fun trying smile.png

I used to go hitch-hiking in France from time to time; it was good practice for being unable to understand a word of what anyone said, and safer than going to Glasgow.

SC

My French teacher spoke French with a Scottish accent. She had a nice pair of legs though so we forgave her the accent.

SC

My French teacher spoke French with a Scottish accent. She had a nice pair of legs though so we forgave her the accent.

She spoke with a Scottish accent because SC had seduced her on his travels.

Yes I have, that will be the same Northumbria that did not join as part of England until 1237. So prior to that date the notion of being English is wrong.

In fact I believe the original copy of the Magna Carta ( 1215 ) ceded Northumbria to Scotland, however the Pope overturned it.

Now we are getting pedantic. I am not anti-English, far from it. The Magna Carta was the greatest document ever produced and it was solely an English achievement.

Going back on topic about the English language, I believe the official language at time of the Magna Carta was Norman French, the Normans were Norse Scandanavian by descent, they invaded a land which had a melting pot of Gaels, Angles, Saxons and various other ethnic mixes. At the time of the invasion the Western Isles of Scotland were under Norwegian control. The language of the Church at the time was Latin,

My point is, English is a mongrel language, but it is a truly beautiful mongrel language. It has taken influences from everywhere and adapted these influences for itself.

This ability to adapt and absorb is the English languages' greatest strength. We native speakers should be immensely proud of it, it is undoubtedly the most egalitarian language in the world, and possibly the most egalitarian instrument in human history.

Aye but I never mentioned English or England, you did, I said Sassenachs. The Northumbrians were Anglo Saxons, Sassenach is from the old Gaelic word for Saxon and was used for both Anglo Saxons in what is now England and those in what is now lowland Scotland.

I was taught at School (true) that Cornwall was the only part of of Britain that was not (truly) Colonised by the Romans in their 400 year rule of Britain,and that we (the Cornish people are the only true English people) and that the Wales and it's people have a similar claim.

Personally I have always felt I am a proper Englishman,who speaks proper English. smile.png

Footnote:

Apparently their wasn't much the Romans wanted in Cornwall,so there was only cursury pillaging and plundering,and slaughters ,on a minor scale.compared with the rest of the British isles.angry.png

I thought the Romans came to take over the ice cream industry and by pure chance found Ginsters Pasty Works.

Yes I have, that will be the same Northumbria that did not join as part of England until 1237. So prior to that date the notion of being English is wrong.

In fact I believe the original copy of the Magna Carta ( 1215 ) ceded Northumbria to Scotland, however the Pope overturned it.

Now we are getting pedantic. I am not anti-English, far from it. The Magna Carta was the greatest document ever produced and it was solely an English achievement.

Going back on topic about the English language, I believe the official language at time of the Magna Carta was Norman French, the Normans were Norse Scandanavian by descent, they invaded a land which had a melting pot of Gaels, Angles, Saxons and various other ethnic mixes. At the time of the invasion the Western Isles of Scotland were under Norwegian control. The language of the Church at the time was Latin,

My point is, English is a mongrel language, but it is a truly beautiful mongrel language. It has taken influences from everywhere and adapted these influences for itself.

This ability to adapt and absorb is the English languages' greatest strength. We native speakers should be immensely proud of it, it is undoubtedly the most egalitarian language in the world, and possibly the most egalitarian instrument in human history.

Aye but I never mentioned English or England, you did, I said Sassenachs. The Northumbrians were Anglo Saxons, Sassenach is from the old Gaelic word for Saxon and was used for both Anglo Saxons in what is now England and those in what is now lowland Scotland.

Correct, but you were sleverring on about the Kingdom of Northumbria.

The OP's poll is somewhat surprising: holding steady at 84% native English speakers. Which is surprising considering some of the English being used on these forums. Perhaps the 16% are disproportionately posting?

Look, blud.

i iz from english rite so dont u be dissing what i rite innit

• Like 1

Considering how many on this topic consider themselves to be English speaking it's amazing they can't type their native language.

It's much more common than you think.

You two need to pay attention, it has already been stated that we are communicating through the prism and filter of the internet.

This is not a theoretical Higher English exam, it's forum speak.

You're actually proving the OP correct.

There is undue snobbery in connection with the language, as long as you can make yourself understood then you're doing just fine.

Moonrakers last post was humorous but timely too. Making yourself understood is most important, not accuracy of language.

The alternative is that the only views expressed would be of those with the highest grasp of the English language. If that were the case we would all be the poorer for it.

(Next poll will be a demographic of which parts of the world we all hail from)

Is Jinghthing going to lose his crown as TV's number one pollster?

Edited by mrtoad

The best writer that I know can't spell or use grammar at all well, and he's an Englishman. There, their where were we're are our hour and so on..... a teachers nightmare.

Despite his lack of technical skills however he knows how to tell a great story. I write for a living but am very envious of the man's ability to spin a yarn.

Edited by Moonrakers

There is undue snobbery in connection with the language, as long as you can make yourself understood then you're doing just fine.

Moonrakers last post was humorous but timely too. Making yourself understood is most important, not accuracy of language.

The alternative is that the only views expressed would be of those with the highest grasp of the English language. If that were the case we would all be the poorer for it.

I agree with what you are saying but only because the language used on this board actually is understandable (most of the time that is). Regarding the general level of peoples' own native language, well, is another sad story. However, if you choose to broadcast your opinions on a public forum, you are subject to some scrutiny in terms of your use of language, as well as your arguments, both of which often well reflect your level of knowledge about the topic (don't take this sentence too seriously).

(Next poll will be a demographic of which parts of the world we all hail from)

Is Jinghthing going to lose his crown as TV's number one pollster?

Hmm, I think with my five or six polls in ten years on this forum will keep JT pretty safely ensconced on the throne! wai.gif

The best writer that I know can't spell or use grammar at all well, and he's an Englishman. There, their where were we're are our hour and so on..... a teachers nightmare.

Despite his lack of technical skills however he knows how to tell a great story. I write for a living but am very envious of the man's ability to spin a yarn.

... a teacher's nightmare.

Despite his lack of technical skills, however, he knows how to tell a great story.

. . . and I'm not even a teacher!!!

Umm, ok . . . I'll get my coat . . . peace.gif

I was taught at School (true) that Cornwall was the only part of of Britain that was not (truly) Colonised by the Romans in their 400 year rule of Britain,and that we (the Cornish people are the only true English people) and that the Wales and it's people have a similar claim.

Personally I have always felt I am a proper Englishman,who speaks proper English. smile.png

Footnote:

Apparently their wasn't much the Romans wanted in Cornwall,so there was only cursury pillaging and plundering,and slaughters ,on a minor scale.compared with the rest of the British isles.angry.png

I thought the Romans came to take over the ice cream industry and by pure chance found Ginsters Pasty Works.

I could understand them taking over the Ice cream Industry,but Gingsters are for the Tourists, who wouldn't know a good Pasty from a Doner Kebab.

Edited by MAJIC

Despite his lack of technical skills, however, he knows how to tell a great story.

I'll proof my posts when George starts paying me for them.

I'll proof my posts when George starts paying me for them.

Which will be when 1pigflygif-1.gif

(I realise I am now a marked man!)

• Like 1

I agree with what you are saying but only because the language used on this board actually is understandable (most of the time that is). Regarding the general level of peoples' own native language, well, is another sad story. However, if you choose to broadcast your opinions on a public forum, you are subject to some scrutiny in terms of your use of language, as well as your arguments, both of which often well reflect your level of knowledge about the topic (don't take this sentence too seriously).

Part of the joy of TV is when people don't know what they are talking about interject into a topic. It gives the experts a chance to dive in and tear them to shreds for their stupidity. Delicious licklips.gif

Which just goes to show that some experts are w*nkers.

SC

She spoke with a Scottish accent because SC had seduced her on his travels.

That's the trouble with an anonymous forum - I had never realised GaryP was one of her pupils.

I'm wishing now I'd never said anything, lest my Thai girlfriend tell my wife...

SC

No doubt one day the World Language will change to something else,Chinese seems favourite to replace English at the moment,I wouldn't think any of us will be around to see it happen though.

English is easy to learn,for any other Nations,it's very flexible,and non tonal,but constant improvement and understanding is necessary if one is to achieve a high level, of communication, but people can also stop learning when they think their communication skill is good enough for their own use.

There will always be something even indigenous speakers didn't know,and new words (some years in 3 figures) are added to Dictionaries Annually.

Edited by MAJIC

Footnote:

I could understand them taking over the Ice cream Industry,but Gingsters are for the Tourists, who wouldn't know a good Pasty from a Doner Kebab.

There is no such thing as a good pasty, they are all a disappointment and expensive too, reminds me of things in Pattaya.

Footnote:

Ginsters = total <deleted>. Shouldn't even be associated with the word Pasty.

• Like 1

Footnote:

Ginsters = total <deleted>. Shouldn't even be associated with the word Pasty.

Perhaps they were looking for the Ivor Dewdney shop in Plymouth and got the wrong bus!

You are wrong about Ginsters, they are very popular in Iran, some people there are enriching them, Alahh or Mohhamid knows how.

Perhaps they were looking for the Ivor Dewdney shop in Plymouth and got the wrong bus!

You are wrong about Ginsters, they are very popular in Iran, some people there are enriching them, Alahh or Mohhamid knows how.

Dewdneys pasties didn't used to be too bad, but still not as good as Philps IMO. offtopic2.gif

Should we have a poll on the best pasties?

Dewdneys pasties didn't used to be too bad, but still not as good as Philps IMO. offtopic2.gif

Should we have a poll on the best pasties?

It's Warrens in Cornwall that used to be the best,and you can't expect the best Pasties in Devonwhistling.gif

Then again there are those who’s native language is indeed English yet they revel in trashing it. Any suggestion that they should perhaps try a little harder is met with vilification and contempt. If something is worth writing, isn’t it worth writing well? Assuming of course that English is your native tongue and you have a modicum of education.

Couldn't agree more. Sometimes I can see that a poster is obviously not a native English speaker and make allowances as I do when my gf is talking or texting. Actually I prefer it when she says things like "a hard windy" instead of very windy or a strong wind.

Obviously we all make mistakes, even me. Sometimes however English speakers seem to have no idea of how to use the language or any intention of trying. I would think this makes things difficult for anyone who is trying to learn English when it's so bad sometimes I struggle to understand what's being said.

Then again there are those who’s native language is indeed English yet they revel in trashing it. Any suggestion that they should perhaps try a little harder is met with vilification and contempt. If something is worth writing, isn’t it worth writing well? Assuming of course that English is your native tongue and you have a modicum of education.

Couldn't agree more. Sometimes I can see that a poster is obviously not a native English speaker and make allowances as I do when my gf is talking or texting. Actually I prefer it when she says things like "a hard windy" instead of very windy or a strong wind.

Obviously we all make mistakes, even me. Sometimes however English speakers seem to have no idea of how to use the language or any intention of trying. I would think this makes things difficult for anyone who is trying to learn English when it's so bad sometimes I struggle to understand what's being said.

There is also an understandable tendency to baby speak to our Thai partners, which in the end doesn't help them and makes us sound stupid too.