English As Your Mother Tongue?

Sing_Sling

English, mother tongue - Yes or No  

170 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The one that fascinates me the most among the foggy isles languages is Welsh . . . odd, odder, oddest!

Scottish Gaelic, Irish Gaelic, Welsh and Benton all have their roots in the same Germanic language.....as pointed our earlier the orginal celts were German

I think you mean Breton.

Anyway, I'm not hung up about who did what where. there is no doubt that the Germanic population explosion around about the time of the Fall of the Roman Empire caused a mass migration across Northern Europe. There is also a strong ancient Russian DNA stream in Scotland too.

The Gaelic speaking areas were effectively on the Western trading ( shipping ) routes, such as the Western Isles, Wales, Ireland, Cornwall and Brittany. The language was a language of trade as much as anything else.

Anyone denying that European / British / World culture is a melting pot of movement is denying history.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you mean Breton.

Please tell me your not closet "English Nazi"...thats twice you have picked me up on my spelling, is this the Celt in you coming out now ?.......if you start correcting my grammer......I will have to jump over that wall and strangle ya sporran

I was very lucky to be born in England, like winning the lottery of life, not sure that is so true today. What I think is worth a mention is that it is probably the world's language, a Tunisian told me that by the way, it may turn out to be one of the UK's greatest exports or gifts to the world and there have been a few. It is the most widely available language anywhere in the world, for us who speak it that is a great relief, I am a bit old for learnign new stuff now, but I get by with a bit of Spanish, French and Thai and they do the same with me. There is a fair bit of English to be seen in Thailand, I wonder how the locals think about that?

I think it is probably easier to learn than Thai as well.

I think you mean Breton.

Please tell me your not closet "English Nazi"...thats twice you have picked me up on my spelling, is this the Celt in you coming out now ?.......if you start correcting my grammer......I will have to jump over that wall and strangle ya sporran

Ask him for his whiskey! I am for Pussers Rum and I am sure he understands why that is!

The one that fascinates me the most among the foggy isles languages is Welsh . . . odd, odder, oddest!

Scottish Gaelic, Irish Gaelic, Welsh and Benton all have their roots in the same Germanic language.....as pointed our earlier the orginal celts were German

I think you mean Breton.

Anyway, I'm not hung up about who did what where. there is no doubt that the Germanic population explosion around about the time of the Fall of the Roman Empire caused a mass migration across Northern Europe. There is also a strong ancient Russian DNA stream in Scotland too.

The Gaelic speaking areas were effectively on the Western trading ( shipping ) routes, such as the Western Isles, Wales, Ireland, Cornwall and Brittany. The language was a language of trade as much as anything else.

Anyone denying that European / British / World culture is a melting pot of movement is denying history.

You are spot there old chum, we have assimilated so many foreign words into English as time has gone by, no harm done! Edited by nong38
  • Like 1

Why?..........Gaelic has always tended to be a Highlands and Islands language, even a thousand years ago the Lowland Scots spoke a variation of the Auld Scots Tongue. The vast majority of Scots are Lowlanders so Gaelic is alien to us.

When I worked in Glasgow, we all spoke Gaelic, else you didn't participate.

25 years ago ...... forgot most of it now.

"Kimma Ha oo, Goo ma"

Is about all I have left.

My mother tongue is Dutch, but i do speak German, English, Thai (not enough), some French. I always thought many English were lazy learning other languages. But there are a fair amount of expats that speak good Thai who are English and i don't. So i adjusted that opinion.

I don`t mind Thai girls that cannot speaka di Engrish, providing they do a good French.

I think you mean Breton.

You do realize you have just spelt grammar wrong don't you? biggrin.png

• Like 1

I was very lucky to be born in England, like winning the lottery of life, not sure that is so true today. What I think is worth a mention is that it is probably the world's language, a Tunisian told me that by the way, it may turn out to be one of the UK's greatest exports or gifts to the world and there have been a few. It is the most widely available language anywhere in the world, for us who speak it that is a great relief, I am a bit old for learnign new stuff now, but I get by with a bit of Spanish, French and Thai and they do the same with me. There is a fair bit of English to be seen in Thailand, I wonder how the locals think about that?

The root of the problem with Thai and many other Asian languages is the tonal context. The Chinese have multiple thousands of words in their language however they tend to use variations of about 400 words in daily speech. These 400 words change with the intonation based upon the "4 tone" which are at the root of Mandarin Chinese.

So you may know the word, but if you don't get the tone near on perfect, the Chinese will look at you as your your from outer space. I had more than a few calamities when I tried to learn Chinese. Can you imagine Chinese being spoken with a Glasgwegian accent blink.png

I think you mean Breton.

and 'your' and 'thats'

Edited by ludditeman

I think you mean Breton.

and 'your' and 'thats'

I think Soutpeel is going to kick my head in, and that's not a fair fight, I'm only a little baby!!!

I wonder what version of English, English we are talking about? My mother tongue is Yorkshire and that sounds very little like Queens English.

There are so many dialects from the cider drinkers down south through the Brummie language in the Midlands then up through the greatest county in England (Yorkshire) up to the Borders where we need to re-build that wall.

When I listen to Americans, Canadians, Aussies and Kiwis I can understand most of what they say. They listen to me with my strong Nort East / Yorkshire accent and sometimes they need an interpreter. One of my friends from Dorset is also hard to understand by other 'English' speaking countries.

Consider what it must be like for Thai people to wade through so many different accents never mind Europeans and others.

The beauty of the English language :P

Where is the option for Scottish?

I agree that roughing someone up for their lack of Engiish is wrong, however! Very often as we know, it's not 'what is said, but the manner in which it is said, is wrong'.

It's the nature of the beast on internet forums that the language is truncuated as 60% of communication is body language. The emoticons help but they can't replace body language.

Also the time taken to communicate is so much longer, hence leading to sometimes unintentionaly brutal exchanges as we don't take the time to frame our responses as we would during conversations.

Some of the topics do turn brutal though, I am as guilty as anyone of rising to the bait, especially when the Wingeing Brit Pensioner Brigade kick in ( did you know they do my head in? ), but we should all refrain from taking things personaly, as we are only getting input through the prism and filter of the internet.

If you get your Independance in 2014,you will be lucky to get a Pension from Scotland,let alone a National Health Service,can't see you voting for that mate, (that will do your head in)

Edited by MAJIC

I agree that roughing someone up for their lack of Engiish is wrong, however! Very often as we know, it's not 'what is said, but the manner in which it is said, is wrong'.

It's the nature of the beast on internet forums that the language is truncuated as 60% of communication is body language. The emoticons help but they can't replace body language.

Also the time taken to communicate is so much longer, hence leading to sometimes unintentionaly brutal exchanges as we don't take the time to frame our responses as we would during conversations.

Some of the topics do turn brutal though, I am as guilty as anyone of rising to the bait, especially when the Wingeing Brit Pensioner Brigade kick in ( did you know they do my head in? ), but we should all refrain from taking things personaly, as we are only getting input through the prism and filter of the internet.

If you get your Independance in 2014,you will be lucky to get a Pension from Scotland,let alone a National Health Service,can't see you voting for that mate, (that will do your head in)

If it means I don't have to admit being a countryman of yours it will be worth it.

To lambast a person who speaks English as their 2nd language is appalling. The language police on here should be ashamed of their dictatorial little selves.

Agreed...We should all spend a little time in the week educating our less fortunate TV members in the joys of the English language, I am of course referring to those members who hail from places like Scotland, US, Wales, Liverpool, Newcastle and finally those poor unfortunate soles who come from Birmingham...jap.gif

What a good idea giggle.gif

If it means I don't have to admit being a countryman of yours it will be worth it.

clap2.gif

Be thankful we were given the febs to scorn. They are making a fine job of it, unhindered, on this thread.

• Like 1

My wife's cousin is married to a Malaysian of Chinese descent. He speaks the Malay dialect, an off shoot if Indoneasian. He speaks Mandarin, Cantonese, Thai , English, and 4 Malaysian local dialects. His spoken English is probably better than my Yorkshire accented English.

It is an interesting topic. There is a need for an "international language as an aid to everything from diplomacy to trade to travel.

Esperanto? It's an international auxiliary language, and there are others as well. They didn't catch on.

I'm very fluent in Anglo-Saxon.

Now f----- off!

Begins with an f

6 letters, hmmm, is it flower off? Fabric off? Fasten off? Follow off? Footie off? Ehm, this is a hard one....fellow off? Nope, it's too hard. Go ahead, tell me......

As an Englishman, I don't see why I need to learn a second language. The language I was taught from birth seems so widely spoken that it seems illogical for me to learn a less popular language. I have therefore decided not to try and to limit any possible language requirements to numbers, so I may ensure I am not taken for a fool (too late_ in lands I wish to visit. Such as Thailand.

There are of course my good neirbours the French, whom have their own honorable language and are as disengaged into speaking English as I am disengaged into speak French. The Entente Cordial has been so successful in the past 100+ years because they cannot understand the insults we throw at them and visa versa. Peace has reached an equilibrium. An understanding of not bothering to understand. Has it not worked ?

I do not take offence to the American Peoples Bastardising my Mother Tongue, because my own Countrymen in Liverpool, Newcastle, London and yes those North of the Border (You know who you are) do far more damage to the Queens' English than those on the over side of the pond. I do however take offence to installing software, where my only option is to install either French, German or American English. Well if I must but of course, I suppose I speak English American too.

Languages are wonderful and expressive and can delight the arts of many peoples. however wars have been fought under mispronunciation of words and so it is best for us simple people who delight in pains and pleasures of the East to simply to speak English. The language of those who have the wallets full of cash. When cash speaks even English is a foreign language.

</TONGUE IN CHEEK>

• Like 1

My Native language is Spanish

I also speak English enough to get though the American Educational system.

Of the world's four most widely spoken languages, Chinese, India /Hindustan (maybe miss-spelled), English, and Spanish.

Have a good understanding of two of them.

Cheers:cowboy.gif

My Native language is Spanish

I also speak English enough to get though the American Educational system.

Of the world's four most widely spoken languages, Chinese, India /Hindustan (maybe miss-spelled), English, and Spanish.

Have a good understanding of two of them.

Cheers:cowboy.gif

kikoman, la gente esta muy loca!

In English : Kikoman people are very crazy!

Edited by autan

The root of the problem with Thai and many other Asian languages is the tonal context. The Chinese have multiple thousands of words in their language however they tend to use variations of about 400 words in daily speech. These 400 words change with the intonation based upon the "4 tone" which are at the root of Mandarin Chinese.

So you may know the word, but if you don't get the tone near on perfect, the Chinese will look at you as your your from outer space. I had more than a few calamities when I tried to learn Chinese. Can you imagine Chinese being spoken with a Glasgwegian accent blink.png

I remember Karl Denver and Frank Ifield doing rather well out of the tonal stuff although I dont think either were very successful in Thai. Karl Denver though was Scottish, Irn Bru no doubt helped with the gargling.
  • Like 1

As an Englishman, I don't see why I need to learn a second language. The language I was taught from birth seems so widely spoken that it seems illogical for me to learn a less popular language. I have therefore decided not to try and to limit any possible language requirements to numbers, so I may ensure I am not taken for a fool (too late_ in lands I wish to visit. Such as Thailand.

There are of course my good neirbours the French, whom have their own honorable language and are as disengaged into speaking English as I am disengaged into speak French. The Entente Cordial has been so successful in the past 100+ years because they cannot understand the insults we throw at them and visa versa. Peace has reached an equilibrium. An understanding of not bothering to understand. Has it not worked ?

I do not take offence to the American Peoples Bastardising my Mother Tongue, because my own Countrymen in Liverpool, Newcastle, London and yes those North of the Border (You know who you are) do far more damage to the Queens' English than those on the over side of the pond. I do however take offence to installing software, where my only option is to install either French, German or American English. Well if I must but of course, I suppose I speak English American too.

Languages are wonderful and expressive and can delight the arts of many peoples. however wars have been fought under mispronunciation of words and so it is best for us simple people who delight in pains and pleasures of the East to simply to speak English. The language of those who have the wallets full of cash. When cash speaks even English is a foreign language.

</TONGUE IN CHEEK>

I remember Peter Taylor used to put his tongue in his cheek when we was at Nottingham Forest, are you related?

</TONGUE IN CHEEK>

I'm glad you said it was tongue in cheek, Autan; there are six mistakes in your second paragraph alone! But I wouldn't comment on your grammar and spelling if you hadn't shown yourself such a chauvinistic Brit! Tongue in cheek or wherever.

• Like 1

Scottish is not an option, as it's not understood verbally by non Scottish. tongue.png

No, English is not my native tongue, but I am able to communicate in English well enough to get by.

I'm very tolerant of non-English speakers who are trying to converse in English. I don't mind any sort of accent, twisted rules of grammar or even words used completely out of context... so long as at the end of the exchange I can understand what it was all about. Unfortunately, I'm not very tolerant of the abbreviated kind of English used in text messages.

• Like 1

Scottish is not an option, as it's not understood verbally by non Scottish. tongue.png

You've caught us Semper. It's our must cunning secret. It's called plausible deniability.

We can speak Engiish perfectly, however we are taught how to speak broad Scots at school.

This gives us the competitive advantage of being able to deny everything when we are caught being devious.

The stock response is 'I didn't say that, you must have misunderstood my accent'.

Why do you think there are so many Scottish politicians? They can lie there way to the top and not get caught.