Davy Jones Of The Monkees Dies Aged 66

webfact

The Monkees were never considered much more than a spoof on the Beatles, but their first LP was pretty good anyway. They were an American band, but Davey Jones was English and "the cute one" - like a Paul McCartney without the musical genius.

American/English Band, they would never have made it without the English. Just another manufactured plastic band like Milli Vanilli. I am speaking of the band the Monkey's and not Davey Jones the person.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Monkees were never considered much more than a spoof on the Beatles, but their first LP was pretty good anyway. They were an American band, but Davey Jones was English and "the cute one" - like a Paul McCartney without the musical genius.

American/English Band, they would never have made it without the English. Just another manufactured plastic band like Milli Vanilli. I am speaking of the band the Monkey's and not Davey Jones the person.

Seems a bit mendacious to run down the band and their music in an obit, but there ya go.

Seems a bit mendacious to run down the band and their music in an obit, but there ya go.

Untoward, maybe, but mendacity means lying, which doesn't apply.

In any case, it's a sweet thought not to say ill of the dead. Uncommonly so, here...

Untoward, maybe, but mendacity means lying, which doesn't apply.

In any case, it's a sweet thought not to say ill of the dead. Uncommonly so, here...

Yes, my apologies. Inappropriate term. I meant "ungenerous" or "meanspirited", not false, since it is a matter of personal opinion. sorry.gif

I disagree on this.

Milli Vanilli was a sham band, they couldn't even sing their songs.

They lip sinced to a 'less pretty persons' real studio vocals

while pretending they had done it in the studio.

The were exposed and shammed out of the business.

The Monkees never pretended to be more than they were. Pop confection.

Even if some had expectations they were more.

The Monkees at least sang all their material,

and learned to eventually perform the stuff live on instruments.

Mike Nesmith was a real player, and did several albums of his own music with First National Band.

Monkees would never have made it without the English guy??? Huh?

Davy Jones was a good singer just off the stage with 'Oliver. Cute as a ladybug

So he was a hot product at the time.

But to say another American singer wouldn't have worked is absurd.

There were dozens of pop bands in American at the time, with American front men.

Doors, Roy Orbison, Bobby Rydell, Elvis, Byrds, Credence, Lovin Spoonful, Jan and Dean, The Band, Dave Clark Five, Sonny and Cher, Rick Nelson.

Without even gett-ting into the RnB legends list.

Edited by animatic

I am a believer, but why is this thai news?

So we expats of a certain age can lighten up a little on nostalgia? wink.png

oh yeah, i'm just being pedantic if i'm honest!!! ... as in why isn't this in world news instead of thai news...

but fair enough.. i concede.

i made a thread about a musician who died in bangkok who i had actually known and met and listened to his music for a long time.. an absolute genius of his genre, but nada.. not even in world news... but i admit he's far away from the scale of fame in comparision.

so yeah, i'm admittedly being pedantic lol.

'Randy Scouse Git' was written by Micky Dolenz and brought to life by The Monkees. When I heard that tune decades ago, it was obvious that regardless of their detractors, The Monkees were as talented as many other ensembles making music with a little help from their friends.

Edited by xray

Never considered that the Monkees competed with the Beatles. Beatles vs the Stones definitely!

At the time, it was pretty obvious that the TV show was inspired by the movies Help and "A Hard Day's Night."

Looking back, it is pretty impressive how anti-middle class/consumerism some of their stuff was, like "Pleasant Valley Sunday." I wonder if their sponsors even noticed.

Anyone else remember Circus Boy?

Never considered that the Monkees competed with the Beatles. Beatles vs the Stones definitely!

At the time, it was pretty obvious that the TV show was inspired by the movies Help and "A Hard Day's Night."

Looking back, it is pretty impressive how anti-middle class/consumerism some of their stuff was, like "Pleasant Valley Sunday." I wonder if their sponsors even noticed.

Anyone else remember Circus Boy?

"Pleasant Valley Sunday" is a song by Gerry Goffin and Carole King, most famous for the version recorded by The Monkees in 1967. Goffin's and King's inspiration for the name was a street named Pleasant Valley Way, in West Orange, New Jersey where they were living at the time.[2] The road follows a valley through several communities among the Watchung Mountains. The lyrics were a social commentary on status symbols, creature comforts, life in suburbia, and "keeping up with the Joneses".

Edited by Reasonableman

Interesting comparisons - incoherent, but interesting. First it was "America's answer to the Beatles", then it was the battle of the British invasion bands (Dave Clark Five was WAY more an answer to the Beatles than were the Rolling Stones, although the rivalry was much more polar). As a teenager in 1963, it was Elvis vs. Beatles (when the Beatles were new), surfers vs. hodads, with Jr. Walker and "Shotgun" (a little later) holding the hodad's banner. Beach Boys vs. Beatles, then Stones vs. Beatles. I liked the Beatles, but found the Stones much closer to my musical roots - they should have been, since their early career was mainly covers of American blues artists, like Bo Diddley, Chuck Berry (also copied by the Beach Boys and many others), etc.

No question about the intent of the Monkees - cash in on the wacky boys of "Hard Day's Night", and market themselves as TV personalities, kind of "The Beatles Meet The Three Stooges". That they eventually actually made some good music is pure gravy, and a testament to the band members themselves, NOT Don Kirshner and the other two who originally produced them.

And, yes, I DO remember Circus Boy.

I disagree on this.

Milli Vanilli was a sham band, they couldn't even sing their songs.

They lip sinced to a 'less pretty persons' real studio vocals

while pretending they had done it in the studio.

The were exposed and shammed out of the business.

The Monkees never pretended to be more than they were. Pop confection.

Even if some had expectations they were more.

The Monkees at least sang all their material,

and learned to eventually perform the stuff live on instruments.

Mike Nesmith was a real player, and did several albums of his own music with First National Band.

Monkees would never have made it without the English guy??? Huh?

Davy Jones was a good singer just off the stage with 'Oliver. Cute as a ladybug

So he was a hot product at the time.

But to say another American singer wouldn't have worked is absurd.

There were dozens of pop bands in American at the time, with American front men.

Doors, Roy Orbison, Bobby Rydell, Elvis, Byrds, Credence, Lovin Spoonful, Jan and Dean, The Band, Dave Clark Five, Sonny and Cher, Rick Nelson.

Without even gett-ting into the RnB legends list.

Now, now! The Dave Clark Five were a London band

Interesting comparisons - incoherent, but interesting. First it was "America's answer to the Beatles", then it was the battle of the British invasion bands (Dave Clark Five was WAY more an answer to the Beatles than were the Rolling Stones, although the rivalry was much more polar). As a teenager in 1963, it was Elvis vs. Beatles (when the Beatles were new), surfers vs. hodads, with Jr. Walker and "Shotgun" (a little later) holding the hodad's banner. Beach Boys vs. Beatles, then Stones vs. Beatles. I liked the Beatles, but found the Stones much closer to my musical roots - they should have been, since their early career was mainly covers of American blues artists, like Bo Diddley, Chuck Berry (also copied by the Beach Boys and many others), etc.

No question about the intent of the Monkees - cash in on the wacky boys of "Hard Day's Night", and market themselves as TV personalities, kind of "The Beatles Meet The Three Stooges". That they eventually actually made some good music is pure gravy, and a testament to the band members themselves, NOT Don Kirshner and the other two who originally produced them.

America's answer to the Beatle's, are you joking? They were just a fun, lighthearted romp into commercially created music. Not bad for what it was.

The fact of the matter is, the Beatles were Britain's answer to Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis. What I liked about the Beatle's is that they were inspired by that music and didn't (always) mimic it. Anyhow, with respect to the "Monkees". It was a nice part of my youth and I regret Davey Jones's passing just as much as I will someday regret Dr. John's..

Edited by lannarebirth

America's answer to the Beatle's, are you joking? They were just a fun, lighthearted romp into commercially created music. Not bad for what it was.

The fact of the matter is, the Beatles were Britain's answer to Chuck Berry, Little Richard Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis. What i liked about the Beatle's is that they were inspired by that music and didn't (always) mimic it. Anyhow, with respect to the "Monkees". It was a nice part of my youth and I'm going to regret Doctor John's passing just as much as Davey Jone's.

Gotta read the whole thread, especially the part where I refute the idea that they were "America's answer to the Beatles"...

And the entire so-called British invasion was made by groups apeing the artists you mention, with the addition of many more (at the time) obscure blues artists. Think Spencer Davis (Bo Diddley's "I'm a Man'), Stones (too many to count), etc. Little Richard was often heard to complain about how he taught Paul McCartney to wail in falsetto, but never got any recognition.

Ah, I loved that music.

Davy Jones from the Monkees has died. Thought it was a windup at first. Then I saw his face; Now I'm a bereaver

That is dead funny.

+1. I think he might have enjoyed that as an epitaph! RIP