22 Jobs To Be Paid Above Minimum Wage Rates: Thailand

webfact

22 jobs to be paid above minimum wage rates

THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- The Wage Tripartite Committee yesterday issued a list of 22 vocational jobs which qualify for rates higher than the Bt300 daily minimum wage, which will come into effect across the country on April 1.

The Bt300 daily minimum wage will be implemented in seven provinces, including Bangkok on the same day, said Labour Ministry permanent secretary Somkiart Chayasriwong, who also chairs the committee. The committee did not discuss a demand by labourers calling for a blanket minimum daily wage of Bt300 in all provinces, not just in the seven provinces initially, he added.

The highest raise is for Thai-food cooks, going up 40 per cent from Bt280 to Bt400, while the lowest rate of increase is 11.7 per cent, for carpentry work Class 1, from Bt300 to Bt335, he said. Somkiart did not give details of the criteria used by the committee to determine the raises in both categories.

The jobs are divided into six groups, then subclasses, depending on skill levels in the same groups: auto repairs; service sector; electronic and computer technicians and repairmen; handyman and helpers in computer-assisted designs; construction workers, and industrial workers.

In the list, auto paint repairmen Class 1 will get Bt400 a day from Bt315 at present, while Classes 2 and 3 will get Bt465 and Bt530, respectively, up Bt380 and Bt445, respectively at present.

In the service sector: Thai-food cook position Class 2 will get Bt510 from the current Bt360; traditional masseurs Classes 1, 2 and 3 will get Bt440, Bt580 and Bt720, respectively from the current Bt310, Bt410 and Bt510; while spa service people in Class 1 and 2 will get Bt490 and Bt650 respectively, up from the current Bt350 and Bt460.

The Labour Ministry will soon grant a special fund to help small- and medium Japanese enterprises affected by the flooding who have not received a 10 per cent tax deduction like large-scale firms, he said. The flood-hit Japanese SMEs are being affected the Bt300 daily wage.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-03-02

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do they use April 1st as a launch date for these types of thing? It will be interesting to see how many companies comply to the new minimum wage structure.

If they haven't planned for it by now, then they could be in big trouble. How does the government plan to monitor this, through a complaints system or actually checking up?

Why do they use April 1st as a launch date for these types of thing?

April 1st is only an informal holiday in parts of the western world; in the Asian countries it's generally just another day. I see for Thailand, 1 April is Civil Service Day. Also, Apr 1st is halfway through the Thai govt fiscal year which runs from 1 Oct-30 Sep...maybe starting a higher cost program half way through the fiscal year has something to do with it. Or, the date was pulled from a lottery bowl.

The Japanese SMEs are being hit with the baht 300 cost! The friendly Japanese may have to cut back on some of their absurd expenses like their golf days, elaborate spas, and their other wasteful spending for their expats at the expense of underpaid Thai factory workers. The Japanese invest virtually nothing in giving back to the society that they make their living on.

April 1st is only an informal holiday in parts of the western world; in the Asian countries it's generally just another day. I see for Thailand, 1 April is Civil Service Day. Also, Apr 1st is halfway through the Thai govt fiscal year which runs from 1 Oct-30 Sep...maybe starting a higher cost program half way through the fiscal year has something to do with it. Or, the date was pulled from a lottery bowl.

In which parts of the world is April 1 a holiday?

The Japanese SMEs are being hit with the baht 300 cost! The friendly Japanese may have to cut back on some of their absurd expenses like their golf days, elaborate spas, and their other wasteful spending for their expats at the expense of underpaid Thai factory workers. The Japanese invest virtually nothing in giving back to the society that they make their living on.

This is absolute nonsense.

• Like 2

It's the beginning of the month, that's all. It's not a holiday **anywhere** I've ever heard of.

let me guess... inflation numbers will go up pretty soon and dining out will become even more expensive... they spoke about the minumum wage hike, so why some people who already earned more now will still see their salary increase by another 40% ??? do they suddenly work harder/better ? I guess not

Cue companies firing everyone and rehiring them as general labour. This type of micro-management of the labour market doesn't work.

There are no labour unions to speak of in the country, and yet it appears that the government itself is enabling a unionised system through the labour law to micro-manage what someone is paid given whether he is good with a spray gun or a chisel.

The wage should go up for all, or none at all, otherwise as I said, the companies will simply modify the job titles that people are given and get around it that way.

In the service sector: Thai-food cook position Class 2 will get Bt510 from the current Bt360; traditional masseurs Classes 1, 2 and 3 will get Bt440, Bt580 and Bt720, respectively from the current Bt310, Bt410 and Bt510; while spa service people in Class 1 and 2 will get Bt490 and Bt650 respectively, up from the current Bt350 and Bt460.

What is the difference and how to quantify what is a class 1, 2 or 3 traditional masseuse?????

• Like 1

Cue companies firing everyone and rehiring them as general labour. This type of micro-management of the labour market doesn't work.

There are no labour unions to speak of in the country, and yet it appears that the government itself is enabling a unionised system through the labour law to micro-manage what someone is paid given whether he is good with a spray gun or a chisel.

The wage should go up for all, or none at all, otherwise as I said, the companies will simply modify the job titles that people are given and get around it that way.

What is the difference and how to quantify what is a class 1, 2 or 3 traditional masseuse?????

I imagine a class 1 masseuse would be one who keeps her client 'happy' ,no?giggle.gif

I imagine a class 1 masseuse would be one who keeps her client 'happy' ,no?giggle.gif

In a traditional sense, I have little doubt that that is the case.

But to see this non-sensical division of jobs, when there is little or no chance of the workers going on strike for not being paid properly, it means that essentially for the vast majority of workers included in this survey may as well use this piece of paper to wipe the *ss.

Dear Boss, i now see that as a class 3 spray painter I am owed 100 baht more per day.

Dear Employee, prove it........

It could be the 'greatest ever' April fool's joke - wouldn't surprise me at all, coming from the 'greatest ever bunch of fools' government Thailand has ever had,

It's the beginning of the month, that's all. It's not a holiday **anywhere** I've ever heard of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiscal_year#Tax_year

Other provinces will get higher pay rates as the inflationary spiral reaches them.

While minimum age should be a government function, trying to legislate for every classification is a fool's game - hence the date I guess. Nice to see that someone has a sense of humour, though I doubt most of the population will get the joke.

• Like 1

http://en.wikipedia....l_year#Tax_year

Not sure of the relevance of the link to holidays, but I'm pretty sure the tax year in Thailand is Jan - Dec.

issued a list of 22 vocational jobs which qualify for rates higher than the Bt300 daily minimum wage

And here we again see a 'some are more equal than others' issue rear its ugly head.

The government have no right intruding into the market place - and the especially have no right to handpick a set of professions that should get better terms than the rest. If there has to be an intrusion, such as taxes, minimum wage etc, then make it the same for all.

The Government has no right? Who do you think should control the wages, Ronald McDonald? Of course they have every right to say what the wages should be and if they are going up then that is heading in the right direction.

Who sets minimum wage in your country?

Setting minimum wage is not the issue. It's the micromanaging of the pay that's a terrible idea. Choosing select provinces, select professions, and then select levels of skills within those professions to receive different minimum wages smacks of too much government interference.

One minimum wage for the whole country is enough.

• Like 2

http://en.wikipedia....l_year#Tax_year

Not sure of the relevance of the link to holidays, but I'm pretty sure the tax year in Thailand is Jan - Dec.

Just explaining why April 1st, it is the start of the American tax year (used to be also in the UK but we changed it to the 6th). Thailand seems to get many ideas from America, Thanksgiving, Halloween, Valentine's day, etc.

Just explaining why April 1st, it is the start of the American tax year (used to be also in the UK but we changed it to the 6th). Thailand seems to get many ideas from America, Thanksgiving, Halloween, Valentine's day, etc.

OK, although I don't see why the government would start something based on the US tax year when it hasn't been copied for the Thai tax year ... yet.

Ha Ha This is a laugh, 22 above the min wage....22 below the min wage.... 7 provinces that already pay above the min anyway. NOW comes the tasty bit. What about the other 80 or so provinces.????? what an election promise, sorry full of SH#T, tomorrow we will start to hear about the famous tablets=saga....worming out of that. the 15,000 graduate diploma.....side stepped that one..........now everyones rich cause it's over 6 months.

Then we have the red supporters telling others that we are anti government.......makes me sick. are the anti Abhisit folks proud of all this government stuff, if so therapy is their next step.

• Like 1

OK, although I don't see why the government would start something based on the US tax year when it hasn't been copied for the Thai tax year ... yet.

I thought you had been here for a few years? So why are you looking for a logical reason? :) TIT!

• Like 1

Ha Ha This is a laugh, 22 above the min wage....22 below the min wage.... 7 provinces that already pay above the min anyway. NOW comes the tasty bit. What about the other 80 or so provinces.????? what an election promise, sorry full of SH#T, tomorrow we will start to hear about the famous tablets=saga....worming out of that. the 15,000 graduate diploma.....side stepped that one..........now everyones rich cause it's over 6 months.

Then we have the red supporters telling others that we are anti government.......makes me sick. are the anti Abhisit folks proud of all this government stuff, if so therapy is their next step.

Does it occur to you that it is possible to be anti government, PT and Dem, or do we all have to adopt a coloured shirt just to please you? I have seen very little good governance from either party.

Anterian- yes it does occur to me, I never want you to try to please me with what you write, I only look at your posting history to give me pleasure. What my post said was true, and the truth usually hurts, especially those who can only think one way--the denial way.

I do apologise to you for using the word red, should have said Those who support this government, by the way did you forget to agree or disagree with my post or are you after brownie points again.

• Like 1

Most governments can and do set a basic minimum wage. But this is a blanket figure that applies to all and is designed to prevent exploitation.

All other salaries above the minimum are controlled by basic economic principles, trying to mess with that is a potential recipe for disaster and only shows that the people doing it don't even have a rudimentary understanding of economics.

Or people for that matter.

Edited by Thaddeus
  • Like 1