Airasia Transit In Kul

Hi Folks!

I just booked Airasia to Sydney from BKK, It was only 365USD for RT on expedia.co.th, never flew AA before so was bit hesitant to book but what the heck, 365 is way cheaper than 3100 Biz class ticket.

Anyway, after I paid my ticket, I found out AA serves "point to point" only, which means I have to go through immigration at KUL and go through again to check in to my flight to SYD.

So I was wondering, is 2 hours long enough to do all that? I will have carry-on luggage only, so no time wasted for that matter.

And also I found AA has a thing called "Fly Thru transfer service" at extra charge, but there is no way I can add this one to my ticket on airasia.com

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Edited by playwithmac1

So Expedia sold it as one ticket/itin? same ticket number or two -record locators?

Air Asia is point to point but if Expedia sells it as a single journey then I would hound them to cover the transfer fee.

Under one record locator all the way BKK-SYD-BKK

To book u 2 hours transit time in KL on Air Asia is ridiculous.

Check in deadline for the KL to SYD flight is 1 hour before SCHEDULED DEPARTURE TIME.

Effectively giving you only 1 hour to clear immigration and customs at KL and get checked in for the next flight.

If your first flight is delayed even 20 or 30 mins departing BKK you're gonna be struggling to make the connection in time.

I'd get back on to expedia.co.th and get them to change to BKK to KL flight to at least 1 hour earlier. preferably 2 hours earlier.

Are u sure of that price????? $365us RT seems incredibly cheap these days.

At least get back onto expedia and confirm you have an intransit connection in KL.

If u can connect without having to go thru Immigration/Customs u would have no problems, if not change to an earlier flight ex BKK.

To book u 2 hours transit time in KL on Air Asia is ridiculous.

Check in deadline for the KL to SYD flight is 1 hour before SCHEDULED DEPARTURE TIME.

Effectively giving you only 1 hour to clear immigration and customs at KL and get checked in for the next flight.

If your first flight is delayed even 20 or 30 mins departing BKK you're gonna be struggling to make the connection in time.

I'd get back on to expedia.co.th and get them to change to BKK to KL flight to at least 1 hour earlier. preferably 2 hours earlier.

Are u sure of that price????? $365us RT seems incredibly cheap these days.

Yes, I paid total 11.043 THB on expedia.co.th

At least get back onto expedia and confirm you have an intransit connection in KL.

If u can connect without having to go thru Immigration/Customs u would have no problems, if not change to an earlier flight ex BKK.

Great idea...!

I will write to expedia....

Thanks!

I see on the Air Asia website that expedia is now listed as a "partner" , so surely expedia have booked u on a FLYTHRU ticket and so u should be OK. Check with them anyway.

Great price then, well done.

The Air Asia A330 seats for the KL to SYD leg are narrower than full service carriers. ie 9 seats across the cabin 3x3x3, as against 2x4x2 across for other airlines.

I always try to get a seat down back in the last 6 or 7 rows where its 2x3x2, if lucky, u get one of the 2 seats and the other seat remains empty.

I see on the Air Asia website that expedia is now listed as a "partner" , so surely expedia have booked u on a FLYTHRU ticket and so u should be OK. Check with them anyway.

Great price then, well done.

The Air Asia A330 seats for the KL to SYD leg are narrower than full service carriers. ie 9 seats across the cabin 3x3x3, as against 2x4x2 across for other airlines.

I always try to get a seat down back in the last 6 or 7 rows where its 2x3x2, if lucky, u get one of the 2 seats and the other seat remains empty.

Thanks for the tip

Looks like airasia owns expedia.co.th

i think you have to book a fly thru a different way,

2 hours should be ok if your quick, they don't close check in one hour before the flight and you can also select online check in especially as you don't have any luggage , if your running late and the check in is closed then just goto the gate with your printed off board pass.

it can take a long time getting through malaysia immigration,

i recommend trying to sit near to the exit on the plane and getting to the immigration hall as quicky as poss. as to avoid any queues.

Not any longer. No arrival cards, no fingerprints, just an e-swipe of the passport and a few seconds, and you're in.

With booking Air Asia directly on fly through Australia to Bangkok (i.e. one Record Locator), how do you stand if the incoming flight ex Oz is so late that you miss the connecting flight onward to BKK?

Understand the other system whereby in the past should these two flights have been on seperate itineraries (Record Locators), you were out of luck due their point to point policy.

But, if they now combine the flights, will they offer a later connection onward...................Or would this be a case of 'their' own or 'your' own travel insurance needing to come to the party!?

it can take a long time getting through malaysia immigration,

i recommend trying to sit near to the exit on the plane and getting to the immigration hall as quicky as poss. as to avoid any queues.

Not any longer. No arrival cards, no fingerprints, just an e-swipe of the passport and a few seconds, and you're in.

yes there was a finger print machine etc when i went through last year. and each person took 5 mins,

i was at the back and it took around an hour.

without any check in luggage you can print off your own boarding pass and you should make it.

i was in a similar position with a flight to thailand but they wouldn't let me divert to the departure lounge- you'll see an airasia sign saying connection fly thru or something with a member of staff , you can try it,

no checked baggage will make the process faster

I had an airasia flight Australia - KUL, then Penang, November 2010.

Flight left Austr late, so I missed connection to Penang.

Went to ticket office, they gave (free) me a ticket on the next (last for the day) flight to Penang.

Had to spend all night at Penang airport, however - flight arrived 2330.

Good luck, AA

Thanks guys!

I just called airasia, wow "no wait" and got the answer, it is fly-thru ticket so no need to go through immigration in KUL , just go to transit office and hop on to next flight to SYD.

Big help!

Assuming you do not have to pass through immigration and that you do not have to collect your luggage and check-in again, the procedure is quite simple.

As you enter the Airport from the plane, most people climb the stairs and go through immigration.

You Don't

At the base of the stairs veer left (it’s badly signposted) and that takes you through a small check-in and into the departure lounge for your next flight.

Same as if you had headed up the stairs, gone through immigration, collected your luggage, checked in, gone back through immigration and customs!

But please ... it's been 6 months since I've done this ... is there any update to help the OP?