New Don Sak Airport In Planning Stages

I have been told some rather interesting news lately, by two well informed, and very well connected sources. They are both farengs, but own a lot of land and restaurants on Koh Samui. One of my sources tells me the paperwork has already been signed for a new airport in the Don Sak area, and that construction may start this year. It will be a major airport, that intends to compete with Phuket airport, in terms of the number of flights, destinations served, etc. Apparently this has been in the works for some time, and was spearheaded by wise politicians who have been opposed to Central Government policy with regard to the Bangkok Airways Samui cartel. If anyone has anymore info, please post it here, so that we can be better informed on this topic, which is of great interest. We all know that in order for Samui to sustain it's growth, a new airport with 5 to 10 times the number of flights the current one handles, is necessary. Of course that would lead to competitive fares, which Samui needs so desperately. Billions have been invested in hotels on Samui, and those guests that the hotels are expecting cannot be served exclusively by Bangkok Airways (the Boutique Bandits).

The second point is that unlike what I have been reading on the recent (Samui residents demand a new airport) post, Bangkok Airways DOES NOT OWN the land the airport was built on. My sources tell me that BA leased the land from the Thai government in 1988, for 24 years. So, later this year that lease is up for renewal. I have no idea what the status of the lease is, at this point. Many of us are expecting business as usual, but there must be some responsible people in the government (is that possible?) that are thinking renewal may not be a good idea. Apparently they built the new terminal with the hopes and expectations of renewal, but no promises were made (that were legally binding anyway). Please post your comments with any info you may have about both of these topics.

I'll have a wager with anyone that by the time this new airport is finished, (thats if it ever gets started) Samui will be deserted with only the top end resorts anywhere near full.

The backpackers and whorists left years ago yet the main infastructure of Chewang and Lamai still stays the same, 5-10 years behind modern tourism.

To put it another way, if you were with your family in a 4/5 star resort at 10000 baht a night, would you feel comfortable for a night out in Chewang?

The all inclusive resorts are in a way here already which in turn are damaging Samuis 'local' economy and keeping the wealth internal, this of course won't stop the forever expansion of 7/11 and Family Marts, thats called Thai logic..

My point is that we all know Bandit Airways hold and pull the strings of Samui, yet building a new airport will make little difference to the islands already dwindling tourism numbers, with Lomprayah recently hiking their prices up to 'Koh Samui Taxi Piss Take' prices, far better value is found elsewhere around Thailand and SE Asia.

The land comprising Samui Airport is leased for a period of 30 years from 2006 leaving a period of 24 years still to run. The lease expires on 23rd November 2036.

The initial lease was for a 3 year period with options to renew for a further 9 periods of 3 years each.

Bangkok Airways sub leases the land from a property investment company in which BA own 25% of the shares.

The land comprising Samui Airport is leased for a period of 30 years from 2006 leaving a period of 24 years still to run. The lease expires on 23rd November 2036. The initial lease was for a 3 year period with options to renew for a further 9 periods of 3 years each. Bangkok Airways sub leases the land from a property investment company in which BA own 25% of the shares.

this is pretty much what i understood, granted i don't know much. it was a standard sale/leaseback agreement, leaving them in control of the property yet able to deduct current expenses. i would not make a wager with anyone in regards to a new airport within any reasonable travel distance, i don't think it will happen.

I'll have a wager with anyone that by the time this new airport is finished, (thats if it ever gets started) Samui will be deserted with only the top end resorts anywhere near full.

The backpackers and whorists left years ago yet the main infastructure of Chaweng and Lamai still stays the same, 5-10 years behind modern tourism.

To put it another way, if you were with your family in a 4/5 star resort at 10000 baht a night, would you feel comfortable for a night out in Chaweng?

The all inclusive resorts are in a way here already which in turn are damaging Samuis 'local' economy and keeping the wealth internal, this of course won't stop the forever expansion of 7/11 and Family Marts, thats called Thai logic..

My point is that we all know Bandit Airways hold and pull the strings of Samui, yet building a new airport will make little difference to the islands already dwindling tourism numbers, with Lomprayah recently hiking their prices up to 'Koh Samui Taxi Piss Take' prices, far better value is found elsewhere around Thailand and SE Asia.

The hotels are full with tourists, just right now. There are many young tourists around, even backpackers at Chaweng and of course at Lamai, Menam, Bophut, Choeng Mon. There are no all inclusive hotels on Samui. Package tourists could book half board, but only a tiny minority is doing so. Special PG prices come in the long haul tix. Chaweng changes a lot and is doing so at the moment......actually I see many happy tourists every day everywhere......bars? don't know about that

Edited by Birdman

would be nice if it was true and nice for Donsak. i might even move. nothing like not having to rush for the last ferry or sleep in the car all night.

If only samui's ferry's were 24 hrs

If you were to live in Donsak then everything would be cheaper as suratthano is not far away and Nakornsea Thamorat. Khanom would benefit allot.

The only thing that samui has over these other places is it night life but for those who want some peace and quiet there shall be alternatives and still about to commute to and back samui

The backpackers and whorists left years ago yet the main infastructure of Chaweng and Lamai still stays the same, 5-10 years behind modern tourism.

To put it another way, if you were with your family in a 4/5 star resort at 10000 baht a night, would you feel comfortable for a night out in Chaweng?

The hotels are full with tourists, just right now. There are many young tourists around, even backpackers at Chaweng and of course at Lamai, Menam, Bophut, Choeng Mon. There are no all inclusive hotels on Samui. Package tourists could book half board, but only a tiny minority is doing so. Special PG prices come in the long haul tix. Chaweng changes a lot and is doing so at the moment......actually I see many happy tourists every day everywhere......bars? don't know about that

Sure there are no fully inclusive hotels in Samui as such, my point is that tourists that are staying at the 4/5 star resorts are not visiting the main areas (Fishermans Village aside) and i can hardly blame them.

The faces i see of couples with children walking past the girlie bars of Chewang or Lamai isn't ones that i would describe as 'happy' but of '<deleted> are we doing here, lets get back to our resort'

With Samui trying to go upmarket too quickly, major changes will need to be made before thinking about a new airport in trying to attract more people here, the state of the roads and the foul stink of Chewang for starters!

I feel another Pattaya/Jontiem happening soon, high rise condos and a change in international cuisine, the Russians will be taking over with the foundations having been laid already and before you know it will be referred to as Koh Samuski.

Moscow

Edited by stanleyroad

would be nice if it was true and nice for Donsak. i might even move. nothing like not having to rush for the last ferry or sleep in the car all night. If only samui's ferry's were 24 hrs If you were to live in Donsak then everything would be cheaper as suratthano is not far away and Nakornsea Thamorat. Khanom would benefit allot. The only thing that samui has over these other places is it night life but for those who want some peace and quiet there shall be alternatives and still about to commute to and back samui

respectfully disagree with the premise and any supporting arguments.

Sure there are no fully inclusive hotels in Samui as such, my point is that tourists that are staying at the 4/5 star resorts are not visiting the main areas (Fishermans Village aside) and i can hardly blame them.

The faces i see of couples with children walking past the girlie bars of Chewang or Lamai isn't ones that i would describe as 'happy' but of '<deleted> are we doing here, lets get back to our resort'

With Samui trying to go upmarket too quickly, major changes will need to be made before thinking about a new airport in trying to attract more people here, the state of the roads and the foul stink of Chewang for starters!

I feel another Pattaya/Jontiem happening soon, high rise condos and a change in international cuisine, the Russians will be taking over with the foundations having been laid already and before you know it will be referred to as Koh Samuski.

Moscow

What a load of nonsense. Samui is a busy island with many visitors of different nationalities. Something for everyone I feel.

High rise developments won't be happening at all. For a start there aint the infrastructure to support it.

• Like 1

Moscow

An interestesting viewpoint Stanley, but I think that you may be confusing Samui with Chewang. Samui is MUCH more than just Chewang. (Choengmon, Bang Rak, Maenam etc)

The 'girlie bar' areas of Chewang are finished. Look at Soi Reggea and Soi Geen Mango (the original main two). They are both in need of major development.

The upper end hotels are doing quite well thank you, as are the better restaurants. I am sure that most bars are having a tough time - sorry, but that is the nature of people visiting Samui now. Samui tourists seem to be groups/families and couples. Not so many singles. Yes, there will always be a need for cheap places to eat, but cheap beer is served better cold at home! Villa rentals are up, Talk to some of the real estate people at the north end of the island. I live in Plai Laem and I see a steady line of tourists walking to the 7/11 and Familymart every day.

Russians - yes a few. But the majority of tourists that I deal with are still English, German and French with a smaller mix of others thrown in as well. Russian numbers will grow for a while, but when they realise that Samui is not cheap, they will go back.

Back to the OP. Most tourists in decent hotels on Samui will fly Bandit Airways regardless of price. However, there are busloads of others that would prefer to save money on a flight and spend it on hotel/food/drink.

Bring it on! Get that other runway.

• Like 1

would be nice if it was true and nice for Donsak. i might even move. nothing like not having to rush for the last ferry or sleep in the car all night. If only samui's ferry's were 24 hrs If you were to live in Donsak then everything would be cheaper as suratthano is not far away and Nakornsea Thamorat. Khanom would benefit allot. The only thing that samui has over these other places is it night life but for those who want some peace and quiet there shall be alternatives and still about to commute to and back samui

respectfully disagree with the premise and any supporting arguments.

what parts Donsak is lovely area with proper roads. no girl bars and peace full. don't get me wrong i like a bit of this and that but sometimes it is nice to brake away

Moscow

What a load of nonsense. Samui is a busy island with many visitors of different nationalities. Something for everyone I feel.

High rise developments won't be happening at all. For a start there aint the infrastructure to support it.

Nonsense? What planet you on? I've just returned from Pattaya and Phuket, both were totally rammed with spending tourists (not 2 bob penny pinching backpackers with a 100 baht a day budget) and most bars and retaurants near to capacity.

Returning to Samui was like Banraks main street after 10pm, tumbleweed and all!

As i don't rely on the island to financially support me, i love it being quiet and the less idiots around the better.

Go back to 3-4 years ago, that's what i call the island busy.

As for Condos, too many once lush areas of Samui have been commercially raped, just look at the Conrad next time you're heading back from Donsak.....worse than any condo development in Asia!!

I recently watched a movie called 'The Butterfly Man', mainly filmed on Samui around 7 years ago, it just highlighted my above points, many tourists and a great view of behind Big Budda when it was a beautiful landscape instead of those awful white blocks of <deleted>, again worse than any condos.

Edited by stanleyroad
  • Like 1

You really get bad value for money with condos on samui. i really don't know how someone could make much of a return on those small spaces. Not with so many bugalows for 8000 to 15 k to rent with lagre spaces and swimming pools. Be like a posh S london loads of tower block or spain.

• Like 2

Nonsense? What planet you on? I've just returned from Pattaya and Phuket, both were totally rammed with spending tourists (not 2 bob penny pinching backpackers with a 100 baht a day budget) and most bars and retaurants near to capacity.

As i don't rely on the island to financially support me, i love it being quiet and the less idiots around the better.

As for Condos, too many once lush areas of Samui have been commercially raped, just look at the Conrad next time you're heading back from Donsak.....worse than any condo development in Asia!!

I recently watched a movie called 'The Butterfly Man', mainly filmed on Samui around 7 years ago, it just highlighted my above points, many tourists and a great view of behind Big Budda when it was a beautiful landscape instead of those awful white blocks of <deleted>, again worse than any condos.

I was brought up in the Christian faith but now I've started to believe in reincarnation since joining this forum. wink.png

Pattaya...omg....Phuket...yeah there are some nice places but...where is the shade on the beaches?

You need to get out more mate...and I don't mean Chaweng/Lamai...

You really get bad value for money with condos on samui. i really don't know how someone could make much of a return on those small spaces. Not with so many bugalows for 8000 to 15 k to rent with lagre spaces and swimming pools. Be like a posh S london loads of tower block or spain.

I agree. When you see some priced at 30k a month might as well stay in a hotel at that price. Some really good bungalows under 20k with pool as well....

Edited by smokie36

I was brought up in the Christian faith but now I've started to believe in reincarnation since joining this forum. wink.png

Pattaya...omg....Phuket...yeah there are some nice places but...where is the shade on the beaches?

You're obviously missing the point of Samui being far too expensive yet being 5-10 years behind to cater for it's present tourists..

As for getting out more, i'd rather have bird flu than go to Chaweng (or as i call it Cha-meng, 'meng' being Thai for stinks)

Being born into Christian faith then you'll forgive me....

You're obviously missing the point of Samui being far too expensive yet being 5-10 years behind to cater for it's present tourists..

As for getting out more, i'd rather have bird flu than go to Chaweng (or as i call it Cha-meng, 'meng' being Thai for stinks)

Being born into Christian faith then you'll forgive me....

Samui is as expensive as you want it to be. There are still plenty of lovely places...you simply need to look a bit harder to find them than before.

Generally though the exchange rate for most visitors is pushing prices high I agree. You just got to shop around or eat local food. I doubt the high enders sitting around their pool cooking their own barbecue fish from the market and buying booze from Tesco are complaining.

• Like 1

The land comprising Samui Airport is leased for a period of 30 years from 2006 leaving a period of 24 years still to run. The lease expires on 23rd November 2036.

The initial lease was for a 3 year period with options to renew for a further 9 periods of 3 years each.

Bangkok Airways sub leases the land from a property investment company in which BA own 25% of the shares.

Sorry, that may be true for a certain part of the airport, but NOT for the whole property as some land was sold to Dr. P by a well respected family from Samui long time before we were here. That is a fact.

they want an airport on phangan there is one on samui then one in donsak then another in surat plus another in nakon si ...do they realy need more airports!!!!!!!

why is everything always about going upmarket here !!!!!!

they want an airport on phangan there is one on samui then one in donsak then another in surat plus another in nakon si ...do they realy need more airports!!!!!!!

why is everything always about going upmarket here !!!!!!

There is one answer for all your questions. there is high demand for a new airport someone because of the high prices with Bangkok airways. If they were to lower their prices to the same as flying from Bangkok to Phuket then there would not be such a demand.

We have to move with the time. Samui is expanding and has now been registered as Nakorn Samui. This means that more business are hear and now we need more staff and more customers to feed the growth.

I went to Pheuet not so long ago and it was rammed full of people in Patong.

Wer don't need more businesses but we could do with more toursits for out business which should make us create better quality resuarants and shopping centers. Not saying that we have to kill samui with loads of people Just improve where the tousits already go. like chaweng. The ring road Lamui Nathong.

For me i thing i think there is a big shortage on in samui where phuket had what we do not is indorr restaurants. it is nice to sit indie away from masquitos at night.

Phuket has some well arctiected shopping centers. i do not have problems with shopping mall such as Junclyone. they don't look like a just a big concrete building

If you bother to go to Chaweng you will notice that they are putting new sewers on the beach road.

err . . . what was the original topic again?

tongue-wink.gif

Somewhere in the middle of all this young Stanley made a pertinent point - and something that I for one am guilty of - about not seeing the bigger picture.

We all go on about Samui being busy or being not busy - but forget that this is very much a relative thing. Along with others here, my idea of 'busy' is seeing bands of very nervous very white people on rented bikes in slow-moving security caravans or having to wait behind more than 2 farangs in a 7-11. I've forgotten what it's like to have to try to elbow my way through the thousands on Pattaya's Walking Street or take in similar thousands on the high-rise real-city Sea Road in Patong. Now that's busy - agreed.

As to . . . ahem . . . the original post, an airport at Donsak, I'd be amazed if it would be an international project - can't see how the immense cost and licensing would be justified in terms of its usage. But a domestic terminal . . . now that's a great idea. Cheap, basic, functional and linked directly to the ferries and with tours, packages and agents all in the loop. I'd also predict a flotilla of new 'express' transfer boats appearing alongside this, making it a thing of the past to have to clank across the water for 90 minutes.

Bring it on!

R

Edited by robsamui

Sorry, that may be true for a certain part of the airport, but NOT for the whole property as some land was sold to Dr. P by a well respected family from Samui long time before we were here. That is a fact.

Details of Leased Property by the Property Fund (Leasehold)

The Property Fund (Leasehold) has invested in the 30-year leasehold rights, starting from

November 24, 2006 to November 23, 2036, in the leased assets, which are currently used as Samui Airport. The

details of the leased assets, their appraisal price, cost and estimated rental incomes can be summarized as follows:

Details of leased assets and constructions leased by the Fund

The Fund has invested in the long term leasehold rights in the leased assets, including leased land, runways, parking

aprons and constructions on the leased land, which are currently used as Samui Airport, located at Samui. The Fund

has entered into the long term lease agreement for a period of 30 years where the agreement shall end on November

23, 2036.

Seems to cover pretty much most of the airport to me.

Edited by yorkie100

If you bother to go to Chaweng you will notice that they are putting new sewers on the beach road.

Hmmm. I watched them put in the immense central drains back in 1999 - four foot concrete tubes right down the middle. Which I learned later actually act as an underground seepage reservoir as none of the beachside properties would allow an outlet to the sea.

So I can only assume that if these these are indeed sewers then it'll form one huge septic tank - unless anyone has spotted a digger plowing its way through the middle of any resorts to channel the crap directly into the sea . . . or is there a sewerage plant also being built which I haven't spotted yet . . . ?

R

The Property Fund (Leasehold) has invested in the 30-year leasehold rights, starting from

November 24, 2006 to November 23, 2036, in the leased assets, which are currently used as Samui Airport. The

details of the leased assets, their appraisal price, cost and estimated rental incomes can be summarized as follows:

The Fund has invested in the long term leasehold rights in the leased assets, including leased land, runways, parking

aprons and constructions on the leased land, which are currently used as Samui Airport, located at Samui. The Fund

has entered into the long term lease agreement for a period of 30 years where the agreement shall end on November

23, 2036. Moreover, the Fund has pledged the lands and the constructions to the Samui Airport Property Fund

(Leasehold).

Utterly priceless - thanks for this! Been wanting some kind of confirmation for ages.

Now tell us about the tax-free concessions that also go with this . . .

R

23, 2036.

Buugger. 2036 will probably see me out. angry.png

23, 2036.

Buugger. 2036 will probably see me out. angry.png

You and me both!crying.gif

...The faces i see of couples with children walking past the girlie bars of Chewang or Lamai isn't ones that i would describe as 'happy' but of '<deleted> are we doing here, lets get back to our resort'....

where on Chaweng?....There is not a single girlie bar on the main tourist street on the island, on Chaweng Beach road.

But on the other hand there are so many young and beautiful single Farang women or in groups holidaying around Chaweng, and so are young Farang men....

Moscow

An interestesting viewpoint Stanley, but I think that you may be confusing Samui with Chewang. Samui is MUCH more than just Chewang. (Choengmon, Bang Rak, Maenam etc)

The 'girlie bar' areas of Chewang are finished. Look at Soi Reggea and Soi Geen Mango (the original main two). They are both in need of major development.

The upper end hotels are doing quite well thank you, as are the better restaurants. I am sure that most bars are having a tough time - sorry, but that is the nature of people visiting Samui now. Samui tourists seem to be groups/families and couples. Not so many singles. Yes, there will always be a need for cheap places to eat, but cheap beer is served better cold at home! Villa rentals are up, Talk to some of the real estate people at the north end of the island. I live in Plai Laem and I see a steady line of tourists walking to the 7/11 and Familymart every day.

Russians - yes a few. But the majority of tourists that I deal with are still English, German and French with a smaller mix of others thrown in as well. Russian numbers will grow for a while, but when they realise that Samui is not cheap, they will go back.

Back to the OP. Most tourists in decent hotels on Samui will fly Bandit Airways regardless of price. However, there are busloads of others that would prefer to save money on a flight and spend it on hotel/food/drink.

Bring it on! Get that other runway.

Only a few Russians.

Mmmm, maybe you should get out more dude, or open your eyes. Not much chance of samui bieng quiet with these guys around.

• Like 1

...The faces i see of couples with children walking past the girlie bars of Chewang or Lamai isn't ones that i would describe as 'happy' but of '<deleted> are we doing here, lets get back to our resort'....

where on Chaweng?....There is not a single girlie bar on the main tourist street on the island, on Chaweng Beach road.

But on the other hand there are so many young and beautiful single Farang women or in groups holidaying around Chaweng, and so are young Farang men....

Not bang on beach road but you do have the geezabird bar next to the very popular Crystal restaurant

Puts me of my food