Lot Of New Foriegners In Udon

ray23

Udon has changed drastically in the past three years since I have been here. When I first came here five years ago, every head in Robinson turned when a farrang walked in, no one even seems to notice anymore. It was very unusual to have to pay more then a Thai anywhere you went, not so anymore.

Even farrangs rarely greet new people anymore, not even a nod of the head. Five years ago you talked to every foriegner you met there just wan't that many of them.

Overspending while on vacation is not unusual, one of the reason why Thai's think we are rich on a three week vacation we spend more then they make in a year. What they don't see is how we save for the vacations and work our tails off for that three weeks out of the year.

The other aspect is when people move here they are used to thier home countries costs. Without realizing what the incomes are here. So even when they pay three times the value of something they think they are getting a good deal. The classic is the cost of housing and one of the reasons housing is going up like a sky rocket, they look at the cost of housing and think in America I good never afford that and here it so cheap, only two million baht and they couldn't buy a garage for that. With no real regard for what the housing market is here. For some reason they just can't see that paying to much for something here is no different then paying to much in thier home country.

The guy who pops in town and pays 200 baht for a haircut is not doing any of us any favors.

But with so many new farrangs getting in town I'm afraid we may have a tough road ahead of us.

The tourist who comes into town and gives some little sweety 3000 baht for the night only makes things worse, even if you are not a part of the action. Costs will be driven up by a false demand. all of these silly actions effects each of us in the long run.

Thats the negative I see that effects each of us. I'm searching for the positive and having a bit of difficulty with that one. At first I thought well that means more goods for us to buy, but no things haven't changed that much all the places that I shop for foriegn food are the same one that were here five years ago. More resturants, with foriegn food yes I think that is a good one. More bar to hang out in, for some yes a good thing not for me. More foriegners to talk with, not sure on that one. Since we don't really greet each other as we used to. Lets see english language venues for entertainment, when is the last time you saw a english speaking movie at Robinson's no I don't think so there either. so the only increase in entertainment that I'm seeing is the bar scene.

At this point I think the negative outweighs the positive. But one thing for sure I'm very consistent at is being wrong. So what am I not seeing?

Where are the new positives that came with the additional farrangs?

Is there anything we can do to convience newbies not to drive costs here like you experience in Bangkok and Pattaya?

Lets face it guys Udon is wonderful, but it does not offer as much in the way of amenties that the tourist places do.

Elighten me oh Laerned ones :?

Udon has basically two types of farangs. There are many in the middle but they apparently keep to themselves. The first type is the jaded, whining, complaining type. They seek out other people of the same type so they can compare rip offs and experiences with crooked Thai people. To this type I ask why they would want to live somewhere where everyone is trying to screw them?

The other type are tourists who are simply having a good time and who are amazed at how cheap everything is. Thai people are opportunistic the same way most other cultures are. It comes down to whatever the tourists are willing to pay. The tourists do learn quite quickly so once they learn the ropes a bit the overcharging for the most part goes away.

The silent middle type are enjoying life and the benefits Thailand has to offer. I seriously doubt that any overspending farang will seriously change Udon Thani or Issan for that matter. As for me to be overcharged that can happen when I am out and about by myself. I do overpay a bit to avoid the haggling over a few baht. When I am with my Thai wife they know better than to even try to charge farang prices. :D My wife has an interesting way to deal with people who try to overcharge. She gives them her special "how stupid do you think I am" look and simply turns around and walks. No amount of begging will entice her to turn back around. They had their change to make the sale. :D

I'm happy in Issan, I think I'll stay. :o

Udon has changed drastically in the past three years since I have been here. When I first came here five years ago, every head in Robinson turned when a farrang walked in, no one even seems to notice anymore. It was very unusual to have to pay more then a Thai anywhere you went, not so anymore.

Even farrangs rarely greet new people anymore, not even a nod of the head. Five years ago you talked to every foriegner you met there just wan't that many of them.

Overspending while on vacation is not unusual, one of the reason why Thai's think we are rich on a three week vacation we spend more then they make in a year. What they don't see is how we save for the vacations and work our tails off for that three weeks out of the year.

The other aspect is when people move here they are used to thier home countries costs. Without realizing what the incomes are here. So even when they pay three times the value of something they think they are getting a good deal. The classic is the cost of housing and one of the reasons housing is going up like a sky rocket, they look at the cost of housing and think in America I good never afford that and here it so cheap, only two million baht and they couldn't buy a garage for that. With no real regard for what the housing market is here. For some reason they just can't see that paying to much for something here is no different then paying to much in thier home country.

The guy who pops in town and pays 200 baht for a haircut is not doing any of us any favors.

But with so many new farrangs getting in town I'm afraid we may have a tough road ahead of us.

The tourist who comes into town and gives some little sweety 3000 baht for the night only makes things worse, even if you are not a part of the action. Costs will be driven up by a false demand. all of these silly actions effects each of us in the long run.

Thats the negative I see that effects each of us. I'm searching for the positive and having a bit of difficulty with that one. At first I thought well that means more goods for us to buy, but no things haven't changed that much all the places that I shop for foriegn food are the same one that were here five years ago. More resturants, with foriegn food yes I think that is a good one. More bar to hang out in, for some yes a good thing not for me. More foriegners to talk with, not sure on that one. Since we don't really greet each other as we used to. Lets see english language venues for entertainment, when is the last time you saw a english speaking movie at Robinson's no I don't think so there either. so the only increase in entertainment that I'm seeing is the bar scene.

At this point I think the negative outweighs the positive. But one thing for sure I'm very consistent at is being wrong.  So what am I not seeing?

Is there anything we can do to convience newbies not to drive costs here like you experience in Bangkok and Pattaya?

Lets face it guys Udon is wonderful, but it does not offer as much in the way of amenties that the tourist places do.

Elighten me oh Laerned ones  :?

Udon has basically two types of farangs. There are many in the middle but they apparently keep to themselves. The first type is the jaded, whining, complaining type. They seek out other people of the same type so they can compare rip offs and experiences with crooked Thai people. To this type I ask why they would want to live somewhere where everyone is trying to screw them?

The other type are tourists who are simply having a good time and who are amazed at how cheap everything is. Thai people are opportunistic the same way most other cultures are. It comes down to whatever the tourists are willing to pay. The tourists do learn quite quickly so once they learn the ropes a bit the overcharging for the most part goes away.

The silent middle type are enjoying life and the benefits Thailand has to offer. I seriously doubt that any overspending farang will seriously change Udon Thani or Issan for that matter. As for me to be overcharged that can happen when I am out and about by myself. I do overpay a bit to avoid the haggling over a few baht. When I am with my Thai wife they know better than to even try to charge farang prices. :D  My wife has an interesting way to deal with people who try to overcharge. She gives them her special "how stupid do you think I am" look and simply turns around and walks. No amount of begging will entice her to turn back around. They had their change to make the sale.  :D

I'm happy in Issan, I think I'll stay.  :o

Oh I'm not going anywhere either, I like you wifes approach works for me to. :D

Here is the funny part when I came here five years ago this is exactly what the local farrangs said to me then Udon is still here.

I was up in Udon this weekend visiting to see the progress on the house we are building. I was amazed how many farangs I saw around Udon as well. I have been staying in a small village about 40 km outside Uttaradit and have not seen any farangs around. Although I know there is 1 close. The GF always points out the house when we pass it. It is kinda funny seems everyone in the village can point out his house and can tell you all about him.

While in Udon we went to the Global home store and saw a bunch of farangs, none of which made eye contact with me at all. Not a big deal but would have been nice to have a conversation in English. My GF speaks fluent English but she is the only one around our village with a good enough grasp to chat with. I am working on my Thai, but progress is slow.

When my GF said she was getting transferred to work in the Hospital in Udon I thought it would be nice. Beside the quick long weekends I have not spent much time there, so only time will tell. I personally look forward to seeing more farangs around. Not sure if that will change with time as I get use to living in Udon.

I can see the negatives of a big farang presence, but can see some positives to. The good with the bad.

Bitch, bitch, bitch :o

Hey Ray don't worry......you've got the house locked in and the other essentials will always be cheap....food and medical. The Thai economy doesn't look so rosy to me at the moment so I can't see any major changes in the near future.

Udon is like any other place around the world. Once the word spreads about a 'good thing' many will come to look. A certain percentage like what they see and stay. I like Udon and will probably stay long-term but will continue to look elsewhere in Thailand. Can't imagine finding an area I like better than this.

It all comes down to the individual. I could never live in Bangkok.....hate the place.....but other farang would live nowhere else.

Steve

Here in Chiang Rai the newcomers even look sometimes strange at you when you greet them in Big C. These 'am I supposed to know you?' looks.

I therefore changed greeting into giving a nod. To no avail.

Nowadays I start avoiding to look in the direction of other 'farangs'.

The old-timers still greet each other. Before we were 'the' farang, now we are just a minority among them.

I think we are more sensitive about what is going on around us, than the newcomers. Thailand looks much more western now then ten or more years ago.

The newcomers preserve their western style.

Of course they pay too much many times, but they don't care.

Some Thai would therefore call them stupid :D .

But sad enough some Thai would call us therefore 'ki niau' :o .

We can't change it Ray, even if we wished.

Limbo

Here in Chiang Rai the newcomers even look sometimes strange at you when you greet them in Big C. These 'am I supposed to know you?' looks.

I therefore changed greeting into giving a nod. To no avail.

Nowadays I start avoiding to look in the direction of other 'farangs'.

The old-timers still greet each other. Before we were 'the' farang, now we are just a minority among them.

I think we are more sensitive about what is going on around us, than the newcomers. Thailand looks much more western now then ten or more years ago.

The newcomers preserve their western style.

Of course they pay too much many times, but they don't care.

Some Thai would therefore call them stupid :D .

But sad enough some Thai would call us therefore 'ki niau' :o .

We can't change it Ray, even if we wished.

Limbo

Oh I'm not worried already found my way. The newbie thing is funny they believe that the Thai' will think thye are Jia Dee, when in fact as was pointed out they just think you are stupid, not the way to get respect in the community.

I have a pretty good idea what things really cost now, if I'm over charged I just shake my head and walk away, they know and they won't get my business again. I do tip for good service at the bike shop ect, but not if the give me the farrang price. The mechanics at the shops I deal with know this and they know if they want a few baht extra for a beer after work, to charge me the Thai price. They also know I will keep coming back.

I gp out of the way to recommend the businesse that treat me fairly and I also let he business owner know why he wa recommended. It will know doubt cahnge but not he places that I will be doing business.

When I first got here I had to listen very carefully to the old timers to learn the right way to go about things. I would highly recommend that if you a newbie wants to stay here, learn form others and learn how to negoiate, where it is appropriate.

The traffic and such is a matter of adjusting your schedule to make things easier, you have time here why not use to make thing easier for yourself.

The other samll piece of advice be friendly to other farrangs we still are and always be the minority here, You can go invent the wheel yourslef, bit more then likely you it would be much easier to adjust the spokes the way you want them. If you don't know how the wheel us supposed to roll, the older timers will help you, if your just friendly. Then do the adjustments.

I wouldnt judge the newbies down, we all had our "movies" when we came here and whom remembers ...?

An oldtimer came and gave an advice, but in your mood you listened and though hmm yeah yeah strange old guy.... and after a while... ###### him was right !

The last 5 years - more and more farrangs came to Korat and here to my area.

When i came here first i count 6 farrangs, today its about 250 but not all of them stay steadiely. (Work).

What i worry about is how the policy will react if our strange culture now "polutes" (they might see it in that way) the countrieside.

Next year they will open an immigration in Korat ?! (Is this service ? Control !?)

Funny in here is the point about to master the path between "chai dee" (means stupid in a hidden sense) and kineau - i did it 5 years ago and so i am still here.

I really have a kind of a feeling that i am integrated (as well as possible) and i dont think to much about overpay, or tips here and there.

Nobody expect it and if i would start it ..... oh oh oh.

Frank

• 5 weeks later...

No Ray, you are seeing things crystal clear. Prices up. Dual pricing up. Service down in foreigner oriented places.

The price of a beer in a foreigner oriented bar has gone from a standard B60-70 for a large to B60 for a small at many places. Don't tip B10-20 per beer even if no service and the little <deleted> shout after you, "Where's my tip? You tip more."

Oil massage went from B400 to B600 in a year! I had one tell me the MINIMUM tip is B100 on a Thai massage. Bullshit, ask a Thai. Most tip ZERO for a massage with no "extras". And I personally find it so rude to tell me what I "have to" tip, I should have given her nothing.

I have also notices a trend where the 2 hour hour massage is finished in 1 hour 15 minutes in someplaces and they just want to give a handjob for B500 MINIMUM for the next 45. In a town where beautiful Lao girls can be had for a few hundred baht, why would anyone pay more for a handjob from an ugly old bag? Really, I have 20 plus years on the job! Does she seriously think she can do that better than me?

Price of a pizza at one local place has gone from B89 to around B179 in two years.

I do agree the best way to handle overcharging and bad service is to just walk away and don't come back. You will not change them and no sense getting all worked up over something small. This only works if you ask the price first. I just avoid the bars near the mall and the massage place at ToonKoon Hotel and Chareonsri.

(To all those who who always jump on and say "Well, in Bangkok it costs this... And in farangland land it costs this.." Udon is not Bangkok so who cares! Apples and oranges. If I was buying a $100,000 3/2 ranch house in Iowa and the seller said to me, "Gosh your from NYC where a 1000 square foot apartment overlooking Central Park is $1.5 million so I want $2 million for my house..." Get it?)

Rant over :o

Funny thing it just isn't us who is noticing my Thai teachers, mother went to the local Thai Talot and paid more for oranges there then she would have at big C. I don't do the bar scene much anymore but have friends who do and like me the Thia bars. They mentioned being husled for tips at the bar's these days. That's a big change, they used to almost fall over if you gave them a tip.

I guess it wouldn't be so bad if you had the emmenties of the tourist places but you don't, try seeing a english movie here.

The friend and I were discussing this recently and felt the turning point was when Cobra Gold was held here a few years back. Most of the bars now seen in the Robinson area came into existense then. Put together by groups from the Pattaya scene, for the huge influx of service people. The service people left and they didn't. Hard to imagine there is enough business for them to keep open, must be though they are still here. Of course a lot are for sale. The local Thai's refer to it as little Pattaya.

Oh well thing have changed and thats that, still the best place for me in Thailand. I miss the friendly smiles these days but I can live without it.

• 1 month later...

We go to Udon about once or twice a month for shopping, and the Charoensri area has certainly altered farang-wise.

Eight years ago, we only had one 'watering hole' (Steve and Malee's bar) but now there seem to be a dozen.

The thing that I notice is that there is a much greater number of farangs, but they look a lot less happy than (I think) the smaller number of us used to.

There seems to be a guarded wariness about so many. It makes me wonder if a lot are 'on the run'.

CTM

beautiful Lao girls can be had for a few hundred baht, why would anyone pay more for a handjob from an ugly old bag?
no sense getting all worked up over something small.

Sorry could not resist (just shows what happens when you take things "out of context") :o

Hello Ray,

I just moved from wet Chumpon to hot Udon (feb 1)

please enlighten me on the wonderful Udon

I have lots to discover....

Thanks

The silent middle type are enjoying life and the benefits Thailand has to offer. I seriously doubt that any overspending farang will seriously change Udon Thani or Issan for that matter. As for me to be overcharged that can happen when I am out and about by myself. I do overpay a bit to avoid the haggling over a few baht. When I am with my Thai wife they know better than to even try to charge farang prices. :D My wife has an interesting way to deal with people who try to overcharge. She gives them her special "how stupid do you think I am" look and simply turns around and walks. No amount of begging will entice her to turn back around. They had their change to make the sale. :D

I'm happy in Issan, I think I'll stay. :o

At this point I think the negative outweighs the positive. But one thing for sure I'm very consistent at is being wrong.  So what am I not seeing?

Elighten me oh Laerned ones  :?

Hello Ray,

I just moved from wet Chumpon to hot Udon (feb 1)

please enlighten me on the wonderful Udon

I have lots to discover....

Thanks

Jeff the best thing to do is to plug into udonmap.com, mostly local farrangs and a ton of info.