Side Box For A Motor Bike

I want to get one of the side box things that the Thai people use for selling things on the Street, the ones fixed to a motor bike, I think the name is a Salang or something like that, I want to have one specialy made for a special reason, you see them everywhere, see them riding around with people in them or goods or selling food from them, want to find the people that make them, have found motor bike repair shop that can get one but not specialy made and want to cut the middle man out.

any information would be appreciated, thanks

any decent metal fabracator should be able to make one for that

True any fabricator should be able to put one together, but whether its safe or not depends on design specs.

I saw one in Pak Chong where I live that a local farang had attached to his PCX, and while it was reasonably well constructed and looked ok, it was in fact very poorly designed and was hard to drive with and dangerous.

I would advise choosing an experienced builder putting on a proven design for you model of bike.

True any fabricator should be able to put one together, but whether its safe or not depends on design specs.

I saw one in Pak Chong where I live that a local farang had attached to his PCX, and while it was reasonably well constructed and looked ok, it was in fact very poorly designed and was hard to drive with and dangerous.

I would advise choosing an experienced builder putting on a proven design for you model of bike.

Thanks for all replys, I only want a expert built one, I think I will get a motor cycle taxi bloke in Bangkok that speaks english to find a place for me, must be hundred of places in BKK that build them, there are thousands of them all over Bangkok, and the rest of Thailand. thanks all the same.

Thanks for all replys, I only want a expert built one, I think I will get a motor cycle taxi bloke in Bangkok that speaks english to find a place for me, must be hundred of places in BKK that build them, there are thousands of them all over Bangkok, and the rest of Thailand. thanks all the same.

Hey Merlen,

Please forgive my useless previous reply - #5.

I'd strongly suggest trying to ride a couple of units you like with an equivalent of your intended load on board. I have a little experience and they range from 'ok' to ride/ handle to 'near impossible' and laden/ unladen makes a big difference. You don't want the 'near impossible' version.

Hard to adjust the suspension from village sport settiing to 3 or 4 kids to school, a weanling pig or 2 and Ma Yai on-board.

There will be professional makers who know their stuff. Look for a product you see, inspect and ride if at all possible.

There are a couple of brand names out there - hope someone can help you more.

Andrew.

Hey Merlen,

Please forgive my useless previous reply - #5.

I'd strongly suggest trying to ride a couple of units you like with an equivalent of your intended load on board. I have a little experience and they range from 'ok' to ride/ handle to 'near impossible' and laden/ unladen makes a big difference. You don't want the 'near impossible' version.

Hard to adjust the suspension from village sport settiing to 3 or 4 kids to school, a weanling pig or 2 and Ma Yai on-board.

There will be professional makers who know their stuff. Look for a product you see, inspect and ride if at all possible.

There are a couple of brand names out there - hope someone can help you more.

Andrew.

Thank Andrew, would like to a brand name, I ony want to carry golf clubs , nothing heavy, use to ride a bike and sidecar in OZ for years , some time ago.

Roy

I think for that use you would be better with one of the sugar bag trailers..even a specially made one as then you will not have the front wheel shimmy that most of the sidecars have. Your bike would stay standard too.

• Like 1

I think for that use you would be better with one of the sugar bag trailers..even a specially made one as then you will not have the front wheel shimmy that most of the sidecars have. Your bike would stay standard too.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a sugar bag trailer, ??

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a sugar bag trailer, ??

You probably have seen them at the markets. They are a small trailer which the rider attaches to the bike by sitting on a burlap bag..They have no permanent connection to the bike.....I would add lights if riding at night.

This old post explains it better than I can.

• default_large.png
  • Banned
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 7,441 posts

Posted 2008-01-03 22:05:12

Trailers for pulling with a motorcycle must have a swivel so that the motorcycle can lean on turns while the trailer does not. The hitches used for trailers used in rice fields have this feature that the tractor can lean from side to side independently from the trailer which is necessary then going over the dikes which seperate paddies. These hitches can be bought at farm hardware stores and might be the basis for a trailor. You could have the hitch attached to a two wheeled cart which is a common farm cart, these carts are seen on the roads with all kinds of loads, and are usually painted blue around here. I've seen them going up to 80km/hr but never really looked to see how they were hitched. What we do around here when we want to pull a cart for a short distance is to use a plastic rice sack folded around the handle of the cart and then sit on the ends of the sack....the handle rests on top of the seat behind the motorcyle driver and since the driver is sitting on the sack it holds the sack and the cart handle in place....but if done correctly it allows the motorcylce to lean on turns because of the flexibility of the sack. I've carried all kinds of loads this way up to about 200 kilo and it works fine although the heavier the load the slower you will want to go. A bicycle is light enough that it would be no problem. The key is that the handle for the cart rides on top of the motorcycle seat and a flexible cloth attachment to the motorcycle allow for the motorcycle to lean while the cart does not.

You could replace the folded bag with a heavy canvas strap or maybe a couple of them and tie them to the motorcycle and you would be good to go.....but remember it will take alot farther to stop.

Letting the back wheel of the bike ride on the pavement will wear your tire alot....the hub mount for the hitching of the fork is a good idea but....I guess that the lean of the motorcyle on turns would also be the correct lean for the bike on the back....I guess....for the geometry to be right for the lean to be exactly the same the hub mount should be located so that it is the same height above the pavement that it would be when riding the bike (same height as rear hub) I think....so that the bike was riding level and not like it was climbing up onto the motorcycle.

Chownah

For expert made ones, Tiger produce a variety of styles which are road legal.

www.tigermotor.co.th/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53:sidecar&catid=39:smesidecar&Itemid=165

• Like 1

In Pattaya, there are shops on the bypass road, selling/building them.

I am not not 100% sure about the exact location, but coming from BKK going to Sattahip on the bypass, you will find them around Soi Siam Country/Soi Neurnplubwan area, on the left side of Pattaya bypass road.

Lots of those vehicles (samlor) are parking near the road (outside showroom)..licklips.gif

• Like 1

www.tigermotor.co.th/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53:sidecar&catid=39:smesidecar&Itemid=165

awesome help linkage for the OP.

awesome help linkage for the OP.

Wow! they have a large variety of sidecar and attachments , I am impressed.