Fire On 7th Floor Of FICO Building, Asoke Area: Bangkok

webfact

Unbelievable how many armchair firemen, who've watched a bit of reality t.v. want to have a pop at the Thai Fire Service . Having served with the London Fire Brigade for 15 years before being medically retired, no one can really comment on what goes on on the fireground until you've had to deal with access,lack of water and all the other problems that get thrown at you at the same time, on top of that the thais have to do this with not the greatest equipment out there. Good luck to them they deserve a round of applause!!

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

+1

You have to congratulate the Thai Fire fighters for keeping their equipment going and doing a great job.

Starting with tropical conditions, heat of the fire and weight of personal safety equipment, its hell, but they do get the job done.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the way all the experts come out to play when there is something to criticise..

If you are not happy in Thailand with the way things are done then the right answer could be to go somewhere you would be or do something positive to help. But negative comments posted on an anonymous internet forum is not helping anyone or anything.

So all you budding town-planners and fire fighters why not make constructive criticism in the right channels to the right people. Or go home.

If you have lived here any length of time it is OBVIOUS,

that in many things what we took for granted at home does not apply here.

So should you just shut up and let the status quo continue?

Even if it is DEADLY?

No, so don't go home, say your piece and if someone doesn't like it That is THEIR problem.

The best way for things never to change for the better,

is to never acknowledge that there are ways you have seen that clearly work better.

It isn't racist to say so, it is simply logical to say so.

No doubt the Thai firefighters in Bangkok know their job...

They have NO CHOICE, fires forgive no mistakes.

But there are aspects of society that make that job harder.

I agree, there are many things not to 'our' standard in the Land of Smiles, but posting negative views on the internet does nothing.

Things do need to change, and maybe they will, but a comment on here won't help.. That was my point..

Oh, and I moved from Malaysia to Thailand in the 90's so I have had my moments of frustration..

Well done to the fire crews with their limited equipment and training..

"Over ten fire engines rushed to the scene but it was difficult for firemen to reach the seventh floor with the hoses and the fire ladder was difficult to operate at the area had many power cables."

now they might realize why those pesky farangs have such strict fire codes in their high rises.

good luck all - getting out and recovering the damage.

So, with no working knowledge of how this fire started, how it is being managed, or what the final toll is...your conclusion is that "Thai Bad" - "Farang Good"

Like you , I hope no one is injured, and the damage is minor. Hopefully, the offices are vacant on Saturday.

Really, the Farang do not have fires? Really? Wish I knew that, since I lost two dear friends in one...in the USA.

Fair point, a good friend and work center supervisor of mine in my Navy days lost a cheating stealing wife and beloved infant in a fire back in the gool ole USA in what was basically a slum for non commissioned officers, obviously Thailand has no monopoly on negligence or idiocy. Approached from a more positive point of view than the norm something productive might come about...

I love the way all the experts come out to play when there is something to criticise..

If you are not happy in Thailand with the way things are done then the right answer could be to go somewhere you would be or do something positive to help. But negative comments posted on an anonymous internet forum is not helping anyone or anything.

So all you budding town-planners and fire fighters why not make constructive criticism in the right channels to the right people. Or go home.

Even if it is DEADLY?

No, so don't go home, say your piece and if someone doesn't like it That is THEIR problem.

is to never acknowledge that there are ways you have seen that clearly work better.

I agree, there are many things not to 'our' standard in the Land of Smiles, but posting negative views on the internet does nothing.

Things do need to change, and maybe they will, but a comment on here won't help.. That was my point..

Oh, and I moved from Malaysia to Thailand in the 90's so I have had my moments of frustration..

But you will need a work permit if you wish to give advice.jap.gif

• Like 1

Even if it is DEADLY?

I don't want to get into a 'flame' war here. What can be done by us to fix the problem with the ridiculous and obviously extremely dangerous situation we're exposed to daily due to the 'overhead' wiring system in Bangkok and other cities here? At and around Seacon Square for example it takes some serious dodging to avoid wires when simply taking the pedestrian bridge, to name one of literally countless examples. Can anyone tell me of a single productive avenue towards a reasonable resolution to this serious and dangerous issue? If not, I guess we have little else to do than bitch, right?

Even if it is DEADLY?

But you will need a work permit if you wish to give advice.jap.gif

I have a work permit, still my advice is ignored, at best...

Isn't it amazing that so many comments already criticise Thai standards.

If you don't like it, here's an idea: go home.

Have some sense and compassion.

Quite!

However, commenting on safety regulations or the lack of same might eventually mean that same would be revised.

Telling someone to stop commenting and advising to go home is not really the way.

Have some sense and compassion?

Indeed for the victims compassion, but definitely not for those who think that having safety regulations is just hindering the making of money.

And about sense, ah........

Agree in principle, but a lot of the people clamouring for regulation on TV forums would be in gaol if Thailand put in all the regulations they should, I am tipping... Like Johnnie99, I too am tired of reading the comments of grumpy old men on these forums. Yeah guys, go home and get a life, or is it too late for that...?

What makes you think the grumpy old men are complaining, typical you donot know your ass from a hole in the ground. Do not make assumptions you cannot back up young man.

Even if it is DEADLY?

I don't want to get into a 'flame' war here. What can be done by us to fix the problem with the ridiculous and obviously extremely dangerous situation we're exposed to daily due to the 'overhead' wiring system in Bangkok and other cities here? At and around Seacon Square for example it takes some serious dodging to avoid wires when simply taking the pedestrian bridge, to name one of literally countless examples. Can anyone tell me of a single productive avenue towards a reasonable resolution to this serious and dangerous issue? If not, I guess we have little else to do than bitch, right?

Well one of the problems is, you see, that if the electrical cables were placed underground then there would be two possible detractors, vs having them hanging delightfully as they do now, where people can see them:

1. If the floods come, and the cables are bought from China for tea-money - with substandard water-tight connectors, then 'everybody' would be electrocuted.

2. They would be dug up by desperados, and sold as scrap metal.

Sometimes things aint that easy! cheesy.gif

So no real news about the fire in the last 5 hours?

Only a bunch of keyboard warriors destroying yet another thread with their BS.

The news on Thai tv said nobody was injured, no casualties at all, and the fire was out after 3 hours. However, it did show firemen on the 5th floor clearing out the windows, with flames above them. Brave men. Sar-tu!

I do have to question the 'ten' fire engines though, as all newspaper pre-posts I have seen, and news coverage shows only one single ladder fender, and 2 squirters getting ready for Song Khran; albeit there was also an extended ladder platform incase people needed to get out - right next to the ladder engine. As for the other seven fire-engines, I saw no evidence, unless they were aiming at the third floor, in the hope of sending the fire upwards...

What I didn't see was an engine capable of drenching the 12th/11th floors to contain the fire to floors.

All said and done, and in light of the difficulty of a very hot day, considering we are moving from Cool to Rainy Season, to put that out in a three (3) hour period, I can only say 'job well done lads', somebody knew what they were doing.

Maybe they should hand flood control to the man who controlled his brigade today!!!

-mel.

• Like 1

Even if it is DEADLY?

Well one of the problems is, you see, that if the electrical cables were placed underground then there would be two possible detractors, vs having them hanging delightfully as they do now, where people can see them:

1. If the floods come, and the cables are bought from China for tea-money - with substandard water-tight connectors, then 'everybody' would be electrocuted.

2. They would be dug up by desperados, and sold as scrap metal.

Sometimes things aint that easy! cheesy.gif

Yes and yes..and also... we need not wait for a flood...you don't need to dig to deep at sea level in a monsoon plain to find water...and lots of it.

You've hit the nail on the head Johnnie99

I always appreciate the posts that point out the total disrespect and dislike of anything Thai by farang who have CHOSEN to live here. I too suggest they pack a bag and run, not walk, to the fastest mode of transport back to where they came from.

I am used to comments overloaded with anti-Thai sentiment but what i don't get is why so many of those prigs continue to live here?? I assume they piss and moan whereever they are but bottom line is: you don't like it? GO HOME!

I pray that no lives were lost and injuries kept to a minimum among both the public and the brave firefighters.

• Like 1

What Thai standards.. do they have them... get real... see the overpass that collapsed the other day.. see the cracks on the concrete pilings on the expressways surely you are not so naive. This ' don't like it go home" stuff is just crap... you mean we shouldn't add critical comment or pass judgement and just accept everything that is whether right or wrong, safe or dangerous ??

Sense and compassion for what.. globally substandard and dangerous building codes that are made even worse by chronic corruption... how many people have to die or be endangered by this type of practice before you get it through your cranial cavity that the more people that actually take umbrage and express their views then maybe just maybe it might have an effect that can save lives or at least limit critical situations... if you aren't prepared to speak up and you have no wish for these events to diminish in frequency and seriousness then take your dam stupid attitude and go home yourself as you do no-one any favours. Of course if you are home you are excused as you know no better

• Like 1

You've hit the nail on the head Johnnie99

I always appreciate the posts that point out the total disrespect and dislike of anything Thai by farang who have CHOSEN to live here. I too suggest they pack a bag and run, not walk, to the fastest mode of transport back to where they came from.

I am used to comments overloaded with anti-Thai sentiment but what i don't get is why so many of those prigs continue to live here?? I assume they piss and moan whereever they are but bottom line is: you don't like it? GO HOME!

I pray that no lives were lost and injuries kept to a minimum among both the public and the brave firefighters.

See my post to Johnnie99 same goes to you ... what is it we don't like.. needless loss or endangerment of life from substandard building codes and standards not enforced by virtue of rampant corruption.. are you saying we should condone this or go... why then are you praying that no lives were lost.. you mean its easier to accept these situations and pray that all lives were saved than critically judge why this happened and act on it.. check your DNA as Im sure it will reveal an ostrich with head in the sand bucket.. nice little forum appealing note about the " brave" firefighters by the way.. is the building inspector who also accepted a bribe to approve non conforming fire code buildings also brave.. whoops head back in sand bucket time.. let time pass and all will be Ok...

pick your wrists up off the ground when you perambulate neanderthal....

The BKK Post article tonight said the building was closed and no one was working inside at the time. The article also made absolutely no mention of whether the building had fire sprinklers... It certainly didn't look like any, if present, were working from the way the fire burned.

But the article did include the following gems... firefighters had to demolish parts of the walls of the building because they couldn't get past the building's key-card access system, and fire hoses were lacking.

If Thailand had the same standards as the West it would probably have the same prices.

Just a small example there would be no cheep noodle stands cos for sure none would get a health & safety certificate etc. etc.

Anyway should one require the same standards please do consider Singapor.

But wait a minute that's quite expensive isn't it? guess you can't have it all.

One would think that a leading English newspaper such as The Nation would have a more informative story. It states that "officers rushed to get people out." Did everyone get evacuated safely? Are any people still stranded and stuck on the 7th floor and above? Were the firefighters able to enter and climb the building inside on stairwells? Were there sprinklers and extinguishers and other safety equipment inside and accesible to the tenants? Were there emergency exit doors and were they clear? Other posters noted that some of the firefighters showed up in t-shirts and flip flops. Is this true? Did the firefighters have the proper equipment as well as fire resistant asbestos coveralls, boots, jackets, gloves, helmets?

From the photos, it is apparent that a lot of glass windows were blown out from the heat on other floors. What about people? Were the trucks able to gain immediate access to the building and water pumps? Maybe some background and investigative information on the construction, tenants, owners, management company, might shed some light on relatives, friends, and businesses making a determination if they were affected by the tragedy. The Nation shows its ineptness in its story on this building fire in the heart of a main tourist and commercial area.

I am "farang" - but one thing I really hate about many other foreigners is the fact that they stay here and are waiting for the next chance to complain about anything in Thailand. You are right: Let them go home - nobody will miss them.

i have a feeling most of the thai haters are the ones who live in areas like phuket and pattaya.. places that aren't really thailand and filled with dodgy stuff.

as for you, i and plenty of other long-termer farang, we should probably increase the positive messages of why it is good here and how good real thai people are.

of course there are exceptions but not the rule.

and yes, as mentioned, thailand is a developing country. in 20 years the infrastructure has improved dramatically and each year the development accelerates. in some areas this can actually remove the charm of the place, homogenizing it into any other country. i really prefer a wet, open, ramshackle market to a shopping center that is exactly the same as any other country.

every day something reminds me why i love this country. it seems for others every day makes them hate the country more. i think they should look inside themself and ask why.

Firemen injured battling blaze in Asoke high-rise

Wisit Chuanphiphat

The Nation on Sunday

30177229-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK:-- Fire broke out at an office building on Asoke Road yesterday, slightly injuring a fireman while another choked due to the smoke.

Fire-fighters took three hours to control the blaze that began on the seventh floor and spread all the way to the 13th floor.

Due to the narrow traffic lanes, it was difficult for the fire-fighters to bring the flames under control so they had to wait for fire-engines with high ladders to enable them to spray water directly at the blaze.

A group of fire-fighters could not enter the building because the key-card system doors stopped working after electricity was cut off. It took time for them to get permission from the owner to break the glass doors and get into the building.

Due to the delays in tackling the fire, the blaze spread to higher floors.

Police said the fire could have been occurred at the product store of two companies on the seventh floor but the warning system and fire-extinguishing system did not work immediately.

Forensic police and Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) officials, and engineers from Engineering Institute of Thailand will inspect the building later to discover the cause of fire.

Although Vadhana district chief Sajja Khontrong said the building had a sprinkler system, Deputy Bangkok governor Theerachon Manomaiphibool said it did not have sprinklers to extinguish the fire.

Theerachon said the building was granted permission in 1979 and the construction law at that time did not make it mandatory for buildings to be equipped with sprinklers.

BMA would let its officials inspect the building after the forensic team and engineers have finished their inspections before deciding whether to allow the building to reopen, he added.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-03-04

Rather incredible that the fire department had to wait for permission to break the doors to get in to tackle the fire...in most countries, it is automatically granted that if they have no keys and a fire is visible, then they go in no matter what... I know of one instance in Australia where the building doors could not be opened, so they drove a fire truck through them to get in... a set of doors is usually cheaper to replace than say rebuilding and refitting several floors of a building.

Sometimes buildings are worth more burnt to the ground than singed and left standing, if the insurance covers the whole loss.

Rather incredible that the fire department had to wait for permission to break the doors to get in to tackle the fire...in most countries, it is automatically granted that if they have no keys and a fire is visible, then they go in no matter what... I know of one instance in Australia where the building doors could not be opened, so they drove a fire truck through them to get in... a set of doors is usually cheaper to replace than say rebuilding and refitting several floors of a building.

Smoke seems to have stopped rising from my vantage point. I hope everyone was safe. Seeing some of the fire-fighters in nothing more than flip-flops, shorts and t-shirts....jeesg I hope they didn't go in the building

Wasn't going inside the buildings the cause of so many firefighter deaths during the 9-11 event? Going inside the building is how fires are supposed to be fought in high rise buildings.

Improvement in safety standards would lessen risk for Thai citizens as well as visitors and people choosing to live in Thailand. I dont see why you expect people who have come from countries where standards are better not to be critical of the place they have chosen to live. We dont surely have to go through life with an "I wasnt born here so I dont have any right to be critical" attitude. The fact is that in most western capitals a fire like this would rarely reach the seriousness of this one. My partner lives with me here in the UK and is constantly, and often quite rightly, critical of things in this country. Should I be saying to him "if you dont like it go back to Thailand!" of course not when people live in different countries they can often make a useful contribution towards changing what is bad and at the same time praising what is good - there is enough already published to suggest serious safety shortcomings

• "A group of fire-fighters could not enter the building because the key-card system doors stopped working after electricity was cut off. It took time for them to get permission from the owner to break the glass doors and get into the building
  • Due to the delays in tackling the fire, the blaze spread to higher floors
  • Police said the fire could have been occurred at the product store of two companies on the seventh floor but the warning system and fire-extinguishing system did not work immediately.
  • Forensic police and Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) officials, and engineers from Engineering Institute of Thailand will inspect the building later to discover the cause of fire.
  • Although Vadhana district chief Sajja Khontrong said the building had a sprinkler system, Deputy Bangkok governor Theerachon Manomaiphibool said it did not have sprinklers to extinguish the fire.
  • Theerachon said the building was granted permission in 1979 and the construction law at that time did not make it mandatory for buildings to be equipped with sprinklers.

My biggest concern would to ask what the building cladding was manufactured from because it appears to be burning in the picture

Edited by gbswales

I have a new game. I read each news thread and wait to see how many posts it takes before the usual 'everything is shit in Thaiand' post occurs. The number is getting lower and lower.

It's getting very tedious

Johnnie, I completely agree with this assessment. I have had my happiest days in the Kingdom, and am grateful for each day I live here. Why do people stay in a place they do not like. Isn't the definition of insanity to repeat a behavior and expect a different outcome?

OMG. Mystery solved!

Ha!

Perhaps you should be giving it a rest. I saw no sign at the border entrance saying any criticism of Thailand is forbidden. The "love it or leave it" philosophy was the tired old conservative mantra of many conservatives in the USA eons ago. Haven't heard it in a while, however.

Sometimes greater public awareness and constructive criticism can bring about improved changes for the good of all.

Maybe some people are content to fry in a building while others aren't.

I think Thailand's a great place to live but it isn't perfect.

Have a nice day in paradise. I know I'll enjoy mine while living here.

• Like 1

Priceless!!!

A group of fire-fighters could not enter the building because the key-card system doors stopped working after electricity was cut off. It took time for them to get permission from the owner to break the glass doors and get into the building.

Due to the delays in tackling the fire, the blaze spread to higher floors.

the warning system and fire-extinguishing system did not work immediately.
Or perhaps, did not work at all, in all likelihood.
Although Vadhana district chief Sajja Khontrong said the building had a sprinkler system, Deputy Bangkok governor Theerachon Manomaiphibool said it did not have sprinklers to extinguish the fire.

Maybe the BMA district chief guy is the same one who measured the width of Soi Ruamrudee years back...

Theerachon said the building was granted permission in 1979 and the construction law at that time did not make it mandatory for buildings to be equipped with sprinklers.

There must be a Thai word for "retrofitting", especially when it comes to fire sprinklers in high rise buildings.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.

Winston Churchill

However, often what we see here, is criticism without knowledge of the facts. That does reveal prejudice.

• Like 1