Sick Dog

A couple of months ago a stray dog started to visit me at my place. I noticed right away = an underdog at the bottom of the pecking order. Felt sorry and started to feed her (it's a female.) As expected, she decided to stay. Thats fine with me. But here is the thing: She descards constantly some yellowish fluid out of her private part. What could that be? Chronic infection? I was going to take her to a veterinary, but she will not board a car (afraid of cars generally).

Any dog-holders out there that had to deal with something like that before ?

Thanks & cheers.

Depends how old she is (can you guess? is she getting visibly older in the time she's been hanging about?)

If she is young, pre going into heat for the first time, this is natural. If she is older than it is an infection (I am assuming you are talking about her front bottom). I would guess urinary tract or even in the reproductive tract. She might also have aborted pups, or have hard labour with a breach and a belly full of dead pups. Either way, she needs the vet. Consider having her neutered for a start as well. If you have a car, and she lets you pick herup, just pick herup and throw her in the boot; job done (keep a leash on her though when she is in there so you can control her on arrival). You might get away with buying some broad spectrum antibiotics, but then you will have to force them down her throat in pill form which is not advisable fora street dog.

Edit - by the way, can you touch her? Does she yelp if you press her lower abdomen? You can give human antibiotics to dogs (they are created for the bacteria, not for humans or dogs although there are some specific ones). You can try something like Zythromax which is a one shot cure all type of affair (would need a good whack though like 2000mg. Tell your BF or GF why you have bought that drug though, as its usually used for curing the Drip and Chlamydia; they might google it and get real mad with you other wise.

Edited by AdamBanks
  • Like 1

Depends how old she is (can you guess? is she getting visibly older in the time she's been hanging about?)

If she is young, pre going into heat for the first time, this is natural. If she is older than it is an infection (I am assuming you are talking about her front bottom). I would guess urinary tract or even in the reproductive tract. She might also have aborted pups, or have hard labour with a breach and a belly full of dead pups. Either way, she needs the vet. Consider having her neutered for a start as well. If you have a car, and she lets you pick herup, just pick herup and throw her in the boot; job done (keep a leash on her though when she is in there so you can control her on arrival). You might get away with buying some broad spectrum antibiotics, but then you will have to force them down her throat in pill form which is not advisable fora street dog.

Edit - by the way, can you touch her? Does she yelp if you press her lower abdomen? You can give human antibiotics to dogs (they are created for the bacteria, not for humans or dogs although there are some specific ones). You can try something like Zythromax which is a one shot cure all type of affair (would need a good whack though like 2000mg. Tell your BF or GF why you have bought that drug though, as its usually used for curing the Drip and Chlamydia; they might google it and get real mad with you other wise.

Thanks Adam. She is a young dog and looking at her "tits" she had no babies yet. I think I will go with antibiotics first. Other than that, I have already started a training program as to: Going INTO a car is not dangerous, crossing the street before an oncoming car IS dangerous! I hope she is a fast learner.

Cheers.

Thanks Adam. She is a young dog and looking at her "tits" she had no babies yet. I think I will go with antibiotics first. Other than that, I have already started a training program as to: Going INTO a car is not dangerous, crossing the street before an oncoming car IS dangerous! I hope she is a fast learner.

Cheers.

i really admire your kindness to this dog. most people would just ignore the animal and let her starve, please get her sorted so she cant have pups. i hope she gives you many years of happiness. well done that man. giggle.gif

Cheers.

LOL - chuck a chicken leg in there;she'll be in like a shot.

Agree with other posters; if you can get her fixed then do so. Aside from saving Bangkok from another 30+ street dogs, she will avoid a shed load of other potential illness not least mammary cysts and all sorts of infections.

if its a uterine infection most antibiotics wont help; best bet is an injection of long acting cocktail of antibiotics and a visit to the vet for a spay and over haul while she's knocked out.... most dogs will eat pills when inside tune or other smelly tasty wet foods...