Oh My God

Aviador

If your tel line is so poor and is not supporting ADSL properly why not just get IPStar 2 way sat internet..

Might not be as good as ADSL but its OK and its loads cheaper now than when I used to have it a few years back.

If it is not as good as ADSL, what could be worse than what I have right now ?

In yesterday's Bangkok Post a reader writes:

I'd like to add my voice to the dissatisfaction with broadband service offered in Thailand............Despite living less than 5 km from Chiang Mai city center, I do not even have the option of cable ADSL and have to rely on the very expensive and unreliable satellite broadband which is exclusively provided by a leading Thai telecoms company................... At 2,500 Baht a month for 256/128 service this satellite system is three times mor expensive and almost double what you would pay for 2mb broadband with 30  channel cable TV in the UK.

But its the unreliabilty thar makes it especially poor value. During October I recorded dropped service on 25 days, often for more that 30 minutes and occasionally for several hours

If that's what you are talking about, no I don't want it.

Savasdee crap.

If your tel line is so poor and is not supporting ADSL properly why not just get IPStar 2 way sat internet..

Might not be as good as ADSL but its OK and its loads cheaper now than when I used to have it a few years back.

I'd like to add my voice to the dissatisfaction with broadband service offered in Thailand............Despite living less than 5 km from Chiang Mai city center, I do not even have the option of cable ADSL and have to rely on the very expensive and unreliable satellite broadband which is exclusively provided by a leading Thai telecoms company................... At 2,500 Baht a month for 256/128 service this satellite system is three times mor expensive and almost double what you would pay for 2mb broadband with 30  channel cable TV in the UK.

But its the unreliabilty thar makes it especially poor value. During October I recorded dropped service on 25 days, often for more that 30 minutes and occasionally for several hours

Savasdee crap.

...the good old time..... :D:D:D

brieftaube.jpg

...and pidgeons are eatable.... :o

taube.jpg

Savasdee crap.

...the good old time..... :D:D:D

brieftaube.jpg

...and pidgeons are eatable.... :o

taube.jpg

Yes, like those delectable morsels. :>) http://anhduong.net/Tincongdong/Nov05/Sang...gcoAnGaQuay.htm

Hi Fred,

you've got Gmail, use it mate, it has autosave. :D

Sorry John. Nothing, nada, nichts. To access Gmail took me 15 minutes. I kept staring at the monitor, where at the left bottom corner something told me "done", but nothing was done, just a blank screen. After about 10 "refreshes" and 10 pop-up ads I finally got onto my mail.

Saturday I received a "Christmas song" in my Yahoomail from one of my sisters who lives in Germany. A file of only 3.4 mb. It was 5:30 AM here. Started out great, (for TOT anyway) 45 kb/sec, but aber 30 seconds it deteriorated to between 3.2 and as low as 1.9 kb/sec.

I went to the bathroom, put on a pot of coffe, showered and shaved. Emerging after about halve an hour it had quit and became unconscious once it reached 2.4 or .5 mb.

What garbage. They should be ashamed of themselves. :D:o

There's got to be a better way :D

:D ..perhaps your ThaiProxy is very "lame"...

Changing proxy may help for a better connection....

To find out your IP -->

http://www.webyield.net/domainquery.html

A good proxy list -->

http://www.proxy4free.com/page1.html

That's all fine and well Kleiner, but what do I do with it ? What is a proxy ? I am not at all computer literate :D

Now, this morning for example: 5:59 AM, start computer. 6:00 AM, it's all booted up. Click "My yahoo". Go to bathroom. come back 6:03, nothing. Click refresh, make a pot of coffee. Return 6:05, still nothing. Click refresh a dozen times. Aha ! success. 6:08 Home page with the news:"You have 10 messages in your e-mail box" Click "get mail". 6:10 AM "verify password for security et cetera". 6:13: Can not find server. Click back button and try again. 6:15. There they are, all 10 e-mails. Click first e-mail: "Can not find server" :D Retry. 6:18 Read first e-mail.

And they call this "high speed internet" ??????? :D

That's all fine and well Kleiner, but what do I do with it ? What is a proxy ? I am not at all computer literate :D

Now, this morning for example: 5:59 AM, start computer. 6:00 AM, it's all booted up. Click "My yahoo". Go to bathroom. come back 6:03, nothing. Click refresh, make a pot of coffee. Return 6:05, still nothing. Click refresh a dozen times. Aha ! success. 6:08 Home page with the news:"You have 10 messages in your e-mail box" Click "get mail". 6:10 AM "verify password for security et cetera". 6:13: Can not find server.    Click back button and try again. 6:15. There they are, all 10 e-mails. Click first e-mail: "Can not find server"  :o  Retry. 6:18 Read first e-mail.

yep, Grosser... :D .. Modern Times.... chaplin.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_server

Not easy to test/change a proxy with InternetExplorer (DSL...)

A better work does "Opera"... :D

http://www.opera.com

Hi Fred,

you've got Gmail, use it mate, it has autosave. :D

Sorry John. Nothing, nada, nichts. To access Gmail took me 15 minutes. I kept staring at the monitor, where at the left bottom corner something told me "done", but nothing was done, just a blank screen. After about 10 "refreshes" and 10 pop-up ads I finally got onto my mail.

Saturday I received a "Christmas song" in my Yahoomail from one of my sisters who lives in Germany. A file of only 3.4 mb. It was 5:30 AM here. Started out great, (for TOT anyway) 45 kb/sec, but aber 30 seconds it deteriorated to between 3.2 and as low as 1.9 kb/sec.

I went to the bathroom, put on a pot of coffe, showered and shaved. Emerging after about halve an hour it had quit and became unconscious once it reached 2.4 or .5 mb.

What garbage. They should be ashamed of themselves. :D:o

There's got to be a better way :D

[/quote

:D ..perhaps your ThaiProxy is very "lame"...

Changing proxy may help for a better connection....

To find out your IP -->

http://www.webyield.net/domainquery.html

A good proxy list -->

http://www.proxy4free.com/page1.html

Now, this morning for example: 5:59 AM, start computer. 6:00 AM, it's all booted up. Click "My yahoo". Go to bathroom. come back 6:03, nothing. Click refresh, make a pot of coffee. Return 6:05, still nothing. Click refresh a dozen times. Aha ! success. 6:08 Home page with the news:"You have 10 messages in your e-mail box" Click "get mail". 6:10 AM "verify password for security et cetera". 6:13: Can not find server. Click back button and try again. 6:15. There they are, all 10 e-mails. Click first e-mail: "Can not find server" :D Retry. 6:18 Read first e-mail.

Hahaha welcome to thailand!!

To get your own ADSL hookup you need to spend about 2500+bht a month.

Otherwise with the 1650bht a month service expect to share it with 20 or more other users sometimes.

I strongly suspect that as he has a phone line strung badly near power lines and in a rural area that hes not getting a clean enough line.. I had to replace 300m of line from the junction box to my house to clear up some ADSL issues..

As stated IPstar is his best bet for rural broadband but he seems unwilling to give it a whirl..

I strongly suspect that as he has a phone line strung badly near power lines and in a rural area that hes not getting a clean enough line.. I had to replace 300m of line from the junction box to my house to clear up some ADSL issues..

As stated IPstar is his best bet for rural broadband but he seems unwilling to give it a whirl..

Correct, and Aviador has published photos of the ratsnest of wires and ToT or whoever won't do anything about it.

Correct, and Aviador has published photos of the ratsnest of wires and ToT or whoever won't do anything about it.

Indeed I have.

One more time for good measure

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/Avia...ix/1ee9dfb9.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/Avia...ix/2778dfe7.jpg

Right up there with the electric wires, although at the "neutral", which is never neutral hereabouts. Knots, loops all along the road, about 10 poles. :o

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/Avia...ix/23fe175b.jpg

Indeed I have.

One more time for good measure

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/Avia...ix/1ee9dfb9.jpg

Right up there with the electric wires, although at the "neutral", which is never neutral hereabouts. Knots, loops all along the road, about 10 poles. :o

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/Avia...ix/23fe175b.jpg

Sorry, posted one twice. This one shows it better.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/Avia...ix/93ec96c7.jpg

Thanks for the good wishes, Dr Pat and Udon.

One of my favorite sayings: Don't worry about everything. Nothing is goin to be

allright.

A prosperous and healthy New Year to both of you.

The ol' Capt.

At l;east I don't live in Florida  :o

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/Avia...x/Havingfun.jpg

All the above problems only go to show you that the internet ain't gonna survive a nuclear war, as they so loudly proclaim .

As to banking, if you think THAI Banks are bad, think again : May 2004 i found myself together with my mother in Houston, Texas trying to exchange Euro cash for greenbacks. Tried several banks, no luck ! Tried going with my brother's wife to his personal bank where he has a local company account, no luck !

Ended up lending money off our in-laws to tide us over until our departure.

Living in America must be worse than being six feet under !

Happer new Year, Y'all !

allright.

The ol' Capt.

At l;east I don't live in Florida  :D

You too old friend. :o

again, thanks guys.

the new year really started with a bang.

my pc's flat panel lcd monitor rolled over and died sunday morning. no big problem, just use the laptop (so i thought :>(.

well it seems like my little urchins, whilst playing computer games, spilled coke or something into the keyboard, disabling the bottom row.

i am typing this via the "on-screen'' key board, one mouse click at the time. a pain, therefore excuse the no capitalisations. (this is worse than the ''hunt and peck method'' i was acustomed to). this i definitely do not miss either :>)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/Avia...ix/b3f77ae9.gif

best regards the ol' capt,

Wow.....never heard of anyone having so many problems with computing as you........sorry for the bad luck :o

I'm about 15K southwest of downtown Udon Thani. About 2 weeks ago I got "Ipstar". Had to wait 3 weeks to get it installed after paying deposits, first month charge.

I must say I have been extremely pleased so far. It has never been down. Between the wife and myself we are on the internet about 4 hours each day. The speed is consistently faster than any of the internet cafes in Udon. When I download a file it averages about 1meg each 25 seconds.

I guess the downside is cost. With tax cost is 4,280 baht each month. However, I easily save most of that with fuel, wear on vehicle, not paying internet cafe, etc. and the hassle of driving into town.

I've also had UBC for over 1 month.....same story it's never been down I love it. Am I lucky or just happen to be in a 'good' spot for both services?

I'm also thinking of getting a good surge protector but haven't yet. Maybe on my next trip into town.

Wow.....never heard of anyone having so many problems with computing as you........sorry for the bad luck  :D

I'm about 15K southwest of downtown Udon Thani.  About 2 weeks ago I got "Ipstar".  Had to wait 3 weeks to get it installed after paying deposits, first month charge. 

I must say I have been extremely pleased so far.  It has never been down.  Between the wife and myself we are on the internet about 4 hours each day.  The speed is consistently faster than any of the internet cafes in Udon.  When I download a file it averages about 1meg each 25 seconds.

I guess the downside is cost.  With tax cost is 4,280 baht each month.  However, I easily save most of that with fuel, wear on vehicle, not paying internet cafe, etc.  and the hassle of driving into town.

I've also had UBC for over 1 month.....same story it's never been down I love it.  Am I lucky or just happen to be in a 'good' spot for both services?

I'm also thinking of getting a good surge protector but haven't yet.  Maybe on my next trip into town.

hmmmm...100 bucks/month ??

absolutely not cheap for Thailand.. :o

All U Can Eat for under 2 Bucks ...

Wow.....never heard of anyone having so many problems with computing as you........sorry for the bad luck  :D

I'm about 15K southwest of downtown Udon Thani.  About 2 weeks ago I got "Ipstar".  Had to wait 3 weeks to get it installed after paying deposits, first month charge. 

I must say I have been extremely pleased so far.  It has never been down.  Between the wife and myself we are on the internet about 4 hours each day.  The speed is consistently faster than any of the internet cafes in Udon.  When I download a file it averages about 1meg each 25 seconds.

I guess the downside is cost.  With tax cost is 4,280 baht each month.  However, I easily save most of that with fuel, wear on vehicle, not paying internet cafe, etc.  and the hassle of driving into town.

I've also had UBC for over 1 month.....same story it's never been down I love it.  Am I lucky or just happen to be in a 'good' spot for both services?

I'm also thinking of getting a good surge protector but haven't yet.  Maybe on my next trip into town.

hmmmm...100 bucks/month ??

absolutely not cheap for Thailand.. :o

All U Can Eat for under 2 Bucks ...

Of course it's not cheap for Thailand. That's why I said, "I guess the downside is cost."

Some folks know the cost of everything....and the value of nothing. :D:D

allright.

The ol' Capt.

At l;east I don't live in Florida  :o

All the above problems only go to show you that the internet ain't gonna survive a nuclear war, as they so loudly proclaim .

As to banking, if you think THAI Banks are bad, think again : May 2004 i found myself together with my mother in Houston, Texas trying to exchange Euro cash for greenbacks. Tried several banks, no luck ! Tried going with my brother's wife to his personal bank where he has a local company account, no luck !

Ended up lending money off our in-laws to tide us over until our departure.

Living in America must be worse than being six feet under !

Happer new Year, Y'all !

Which remindes me.

Got this a while ago:

Dear Sir: I am writing to thank you for bouncing my check with which I endeavored to pay my plumber last month. By my calculations, three nanoseconds must have elapsed between his presenting the check and the arrival in my account of the funds needed to honor it. I refer, of course, to the automatic monthly deposit of my entire salary, an arrangement which, I admit, has been in place for only eight years.

You are to be commended for seizing that brief window of opportunity, and also for debiting my account $30 by way of penalty for the inconvenience caused to your bank. My thankfulness springs from the manner in which this incident has caused me to rethink my errant financial ways.

I noticed that whereas I personally attend to your telephone calls and letters, when I try to contact you, I am confronted by the impersonal, overcharging, pre-recorded, faceless entity which your bank has become.

From now on, I, like you, choose only to deal with a flesh-and-blood person. My mortgage and loan repayments will therefore and hereafter no longer be automatic, but will arrive at your bank, by check, addressed personally and confidentially to an employee at your bank whom you must nominate.

Be aware that it is an offense under the Postal Act for any other person to open such an envelope. Please find attached an Application Contact Status which I require your chosen employee to complete. I am sorry it runs to eight pages, but in order that I know as much about him or her as your bank knows about me, there is no alternative. Please note that all copies of his or her medical history must be countersigned by a Notary Public, and the mandatory details of his/her financial situation (income, debts, assets and liabilities) must be accompanied by documented proof.

In due course, I will issue your employee with a PIN number which he/she must quote in dealings with me. I regret that it cannot be shorter than 28 digits but, again, I have modeled it on the number of button presses required of me to access my account balance on your phone bank service.

As they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Let me level the playing field even further. When you call me, press buttons as follows:

1. To make an appointment to see me.

2. To query a missing payment.

3. To transfer the call to my living room in case I am there.

4. To transfer the call to my bedroom in case I am sleeping.

5. To transfer the call to my toilet in case I am attending to nature.

6. To transfer the call to my mobile phone if I am not at home.

7. To leave a message on my computer, a password to access my computer is required.

(Password will be communicated to you at a later date to the Authorized Contact.)

8. To return to the main menu and to listen to options 1 through 7.

9. To make a general complaint or inquiry.

The contact will then be put on hold, pending the attention of my automated answering service. While this may, on occasion, involve a lengthy wait, uplifting music will play for the duration of the call. Regrettably, but again following your example, I must also levy an establishment fee to cover the setting up of this new arrangement.

May I wish you a happy, if ever so slightly less prosperous New Year?

Your Humble Client

Greets, the ol'Capt still hanging in :D