Thailand Short Of Construction Workers After Myanmar Opens Its Country

webfact

Thailand was once in that position. But now that Thais got a better life, they have to learn to 'let go' and follow wherever the labor favors. Its the end of the road for investments in Thailand, because it used to be the qualified labour. Look at now. No worthy labour, no worthy raw materials, (blame it on china who provides the cheap lousy stuff). Actually there's still alot of scammy sex labours left. But on the other hand, they too are getting dirtier. We shall truly see survival of the fittest when all's over.

that is a good thing, right? that those people go back? in my home country, we would have a celebration for weeks, if all the illegal people siphoning on the social system would suddenly go home to actually WORK

What are you on about mate? I don't think you actually read the whole story. Do some research. Don't you know there is a very limited social security network here in Thailand (government workers mostly) that foreign workers have no access to, hence they are an asset here. They work their butts off and get paid s**t for doing work the locals won't.

The article states that when the foreign works leave there will be a big hole to fill. Unlike where you are from I guess. Having said that I hope you are being honest and living by your own means here and not ripping off your own country's social security system while accusing others of the same.

Idea # 1

There will be thousands of Thais thrown out of work when the electronics manufacturers that were flooded bail out and leave. Re-train those workers for construction.

Idea # 2

There are many thousands of Burmese refugees that are in essence stuck in refugee camps/prisons. Give them all Thai ID cards, say welcome to Thailand, and have them go to work. Thailand would also gain big points with the international humanitarian groups who are not happy about Thailand keeping political refugees locked up in camps.

Besides the exodus of foreign workers:

The rice exports are going down the drain. There is no way to keep the pole position as the worlds No1 rice exporter

Formerly welcomed retirees find more obsacles by the month there are enough alternatives in the hood

Banks start again to create massive problems for foreigners receiving money from abroad to their Thai bank account

Foreign fathers of thaiborn kids get a kick in the butt via visa regulations and their kids are refused their rights to be equally treated as Thai citizen

The downswirling image of Thai tourism caused by scams, crime and corruption will cost dearly

Flood mamagement turned out to be desatrous and will definately harm the investment sector

Political instability is a decades long routine

While politicians fill their coffers, the average Thai is suffering more and more to make ends meet

As much as I love the country- I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel

Please spare me the standard answer - if you don't like it...

For some one with so munch negativity I find it hard to understand what you love about it.

I am a retiree and can not make heads or tails out of your comment ("Formerly welcomed retirees find more obsacles by the month")

nothing has changed for me in the years I have been here once a year I renew my Visa and every 90 days I check in. I have the option if I wish of just mailing it in no problem.

I also have no problem getting my money from my accounts in Canada.

Are all your complaints founded on dreams.

I am not even going to go into politics they have been this way for more years than you and I have been here and Thailand still moves on. Just be gratefully that you are not in Angola.

Edited by hellodolly

Thailand was once in that position. But now that Thais got a better life, they have to learn to 'let go' and follow wherever the labor favors. Its the end of the road for investments in Thailand, because it used to be the qualified labour. Look at now. No worthy labour, no worthy raw materials, (blame it on china who provides the cheap lousy stuff). Actually there's still alot of scammy sex labours left. But on the other hand, they too are getting dirtier. We shall truly see survival of the fittest when all's over.

Run for your life the sky is falling in. Run for your life the sky is falling in.

There is a definite lack of skilled construction workers here in Thailand... but to say that Burmese laborers repatriating back to Myanmar is going to impact that dearth is laughable.

If you are talking about bodies that hang about on a construction site and move stuff from point A to point B, you're absolutely right that there will be less of that going on. Those people just take up space and pretend to get things done. But, if you are talking about skilled and experienced construction tradesmen... we don't really have much of those people to begin with in the first place.

Not the fault of either the Thais, nor their cousins from across the borders - more about a lack of real vocational skills training in my humble opinion. I think folks should be careful of how the term "construction worker" is defined before raising any panic alarms... or other people start jacking up costs due to an exaggerated labor shortage.

Pretty hard to equate the sky line in Bangkok with that statement.

There are (quoted in a seperate news article) 164000 workers without jobs due to the recent floods......while I accept that not all of these workers are necessarily "construction workers"...there must surely be amongst the 164000 some folk capable of construction type employment.

Not the fault of either the Thais, - more about a lack of real vocational skills training in my humble opinion.

Well whose fault is it ?...if its not the Thai's ?.....let me guess its the farangs fault...

But of course it is, the flooding was probably the farangs fault also, they just haven't figured out how to make that fly yet. They will, you wait.

that is a good thing, right? that those people go back? in my home country, we would have a celebration for weeks, if all the illegal people siphoning on the social system would suddenly go home to actually WORK

And so speaks a foreign immigrant in Thailand.

Sadly your information about immigration seems to come out of the BNP handbook. Most European countries face a demographic nightmare, Japan is already in one. Immigration is required and the net result has been highly advantageous in almost every country that has experienced large scale immigration.

The major losers tend to be poorly educated and qualified indigenous sections of the community who cannot compete with the immigrants.

Sadly your information about immigration seems to come out of the BNP handbook. Most European countries face a demographic nightmare, Japan is already in one. Immigration is required and the net result has been highly advantageous in almost every country that has experienced large scale immigration.

The major losers tend to be poorly educated and qualified indigenous sections of the community who cannot compete with the immigrants.

Hence discriminatory laws are put in place to prevent immigrants from competing on a level playing field, or having equal rights, such as employment in particular occupations, owning land, buying a home for their kids, access to regular employment conditions, etc.

Edited by Reasonableman
  • Like 1

Hence discriminatory laws are put in place to prevent immigrants from competing on a level playing field, or having equal rights, such as employment in particular occupations, owning land, buying a home for their kids, access to regular employment conditions, etc.

Only in certain countries.

Only in certain countries.

In this certain country.

• Like 1

All they really need to do is tell The Nation Newspaper to put a headline saying "Thailand, The new HUB for cheap Laborers" and I'm sure folk will swarm here to work.

Most European countries face a demographic nightmare, Japan is already in one. Immigration is required

Let me tell you something about this situation.......Most people in developed countries choose to not to have babies, not because they are unable to reproduce, but simply because they have received enough education to understand that given the many economical problems affecting us, it's not a good idea to put another individual into this mess...

While people less fortunate and more often than not without any form of standard education or self respect intended as we do in the west, have no problems whatsoever to start pulling out babies like a farming operation, they couldn't care less about the troubled life their babies will end up into, their only interest is to have some economical benefit into it.

They live as animals ammassed in dishumane conditions and dirty environments, with a fraction of the wage a local worker will command, i am sick of these injustices and the people trying to pass it as a necessity! they are human beins exactly as we are, exploitations is an evil, wild immigration it's is not the answer to the problem because it will only create more problems and injustices.....

Most European countries face a demographic nightmare, Japan is already in one. Immigration is required

Let me tell you something about this situation.......Most people in developed countries choose to not to have babies, not because they are unable to reproduce, but simply because they have received enough education to understand that given the many economical problems affecting us, it's not a good idea to put another individual into this mess...

While people less fortunate and more often than not without any form of standard education or self respect intended as we do in the west, have no problems whatsoever to start pulling out babies like a farming operation, they couldn't care less about the troubled life their babies will end up into, their only interest is to have some economical benefit into it.

They live as animals ammassed in dishumane conditions and dirty environments, with a fraction of the wage a local worker will command, i am sick of these injustices and the people trying to pass it as a necessity! they are human beins exactly as we are, exploitations is an evil, wild immigration it's is not the answer to the problem because it will only create more problems and injustices.....

Before this, I really though smart people spend to much time on books and internet; forgot to have sex,

Not quite accurate.

The Total Fertility Rate (average number of babies born per woman) for Thailand is 1.6, while in the UK it is 1.9.

Therefore it is not just developed countries that are seeing low levels of fertility.

A TFR below 2.1 means it is below replacement level and therefore on a path of log term decline. Myanmar currently has a TFR of 2.2 and its population is growing at 1.07% per annum compared to growth of 0.54% in Thailand.

The UK population has seen a rebound in TFR since 2003 with the arrival of approximately 1m immigrant workers. This has improved the situation re the Dependency Ratio, ie the number of economically active people per old/young dependents.

Not quite accurate.

Are you arguing that the shortage of new born is a phisycal problem rather than a choice being made? laugh.png

Is a bit like saying that all the road casualties are caused by people just jumping on front of running vehicles....yes certainly there are a few, but in terms of statistics i don't think they are going to be considered as the ones with the more incidence....

One of the solutions that this country could take if there is a shortage of any kind in their workforce, it is simply opening that market to the people which are currently being denied that option by draconian laws which are bringing more harm than goods to either parts....however that option would have some sort of sense, so, my guess is it's not gonna happen....biggrin.png

Not quite accurate.

Are you arguing that the shortage of new born is a phisycal problem rather than a choice being made? laugh.png

Is a bit like saying that all the road casualties are caused by people just jumping on front of running vehicles....yes certainly there are a few, but in terms of statistics i don't think they are going to be considered as the ones with the more incidence....

One of the solutions that this country could take if there is a shortage of any kind in their workforce, it is simply opening that market to the people which are currently being denied that option by draconian laws which are bringing more harm than goods to either parts....however that option would have some sort of sense, so, my guess is it's not gonna happen....biggrin.png

We seem to be talking at cross purposes.

My simple point is that people all around the world are having fewer children, with Total Fertility Rates dropping from 5 to 2.5 babies per woman since 1950.

This is driven by 3 main processes, lower infant mortality rates, urbanization and increasing levels of wealth. While world population growth will continue for 2-3 more decades (led by Africa), it will then start to fall as Fertility Rates below 2.1 kick in.

Hence Thailand with current population growth of only 0.5% will see that go negative and will then face the issues of an ageing population and how their support will be funded.

The choices will either be massive tax rises for a smaller pool of economically active aged people, or immigration to introduce people of an age who will generate tax revenue and babies. This has been seen in the UK since 2003.

Thus Thailand will need to be importing migrants within the next 10-15 years. Looks like the Burmese might be popular again, if they are not too busy at home.

2 clips worth watching on this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-15445092

http://www.ted.com/talks/hans_rosling_on_global_population_growth.html

Edited by folium

There is absolutely no shortage on construction workers. there is however a shortage on decent employers that houses it's construction workers properly and not in degraded slumps and who pay a decent wage. Employees must be quite sick and tired of the complaining that employers do about minimum wages. The minimum wage in Thailand is a third of that of China. Foxconn would be a top company in Thailand, compare that with Seagate or Western Digital. The same is valid for construction companies. The elite should grow up and acknowledge that they should drive a smaller Benz and employ a bit less staff at home and cut back on their massage parlor visits. Than they can pay their workers a bit more.

No shortage, well said by someone not working in the trade or with no clue. Building is booming and there has been a shortage for over a year. It keep sgetting worse