Society Demands That Examples Be Made Of Addicts: Thai Opinion

webfact

EDITORIAL

Society demands that examples be made of addicts

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Instead of violent anti-drug crusades, the authorities should be addressing this social problem at its root causes of bad education, poverty and inequality

Opium production in Asia is set to rise, and more and more illicit drugs are being sold through social media, targeting young adults, the International Narcotics Control Board (INCB) warned in its recently released annual report.

Hamid Ghose, president of the Vienna-based UN agency, pointed to several factors which he said "could lead to even further increases in (opium) production beyond 2011".

While North America remains the biggest market for drugs overall, Europe is the biggest consumer of opiates. Europe is also the world's second biggest market for cocaine. The report identified heroin as causing the most problems in terms of health and mortality.

But illicit drug use is not solely a Western problem. Opium production has been increasing in our region, namely Laos and Burma, feeding local markets. Successive governments have declared war on drugs but their efforts come across as trying to get votes rather then getting to the bottom of the problem and the social dynamics of drug abuse.

It's easy for our law-makers to label drug use as a "crime" rather than a "social problem". We went through this mess in early 2003 when the police under the then-government of Thaksin Shinawatra went on a killing spree under the guise of a "war on drugs" that ended in the extra-judicial deaths of some 2,500 people.

The fact that the general public mostly supported his dangerous endeavour says something about our society, and it's not good. A healthy society would not tolerate such methods to solve a social problem. But this goes back to how our society and our leaders frame the problem. If we are to understand drug abuse as a social problem, then we will have to talk about education, employment, social equality and mobility among other things.

Apparently, for Thailand, it is easier just to take lives, as if the problem is going to go away with the deaths of some drug users.

The drug debate in Thailand often misses the point. Take the recent publicity involving rock star Seksan "Sek Loso" Sukpimai, and the Office of the Narcotic Control Board (ONCB).

The issue came about after Sek went public about his drug use and told the media that if Thai society doesn't like his behaviour, he is willing to move to London, a place where he can supposedly live a freer lifestyle.

ONCB chief Adul Saengsingkaeo, a police general, saw it as his duty to summon the star to his office and straighten him out. The top drug tsar apparently believes he has the moral authority to "set people straight".

But taking the moral high ground doesn't necessarily make one "better" than anyone else. The spitting contest between Adul, a senior law enforcement officer with an inflated ego, and rock star Sek Loso was more about a show of force on the former's part, and a celebrity's attempt to demonstrate that he can be his own man. Sek Loso's point is that he is a free-spirited person who should be able to take drugs as long as he doesn't harm or violate the rights of others.

People who take up any top government post will always get offended. It goes with the job. But one person's arrogance doesn't justify another person reacting in the same manner. Adul seems so concerned about the life of a drug-addict rock star, but perhaps he should look for other trees to bark up. There are plenty of children and young adults out there on the street who need help and attention, not just one rock star who finally gave in to the demands of the ONCB and went through the motions that society prescribes "for people like him" - a public apology, hugs and kisses with parents, a visit to monks, and appearances with political bigwigs who, incidentally, are not generally known for their moral authority.

The problem with our society and our policy-makers especially is that no one really knows the line between integrity and showmanship. And as they go through the motions, thinking they are righting wrongs, there is a tendency to lose sight of reality.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-03-06

• Like 1

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"ONCB chief Adul Saengsingkaeo, a police general, saw it as his duty to summon the star to his office and straighten him out. The top drug tsar apparently believes he has the moral authority to "set people straight"."

Appears the police general did have the moral authority needed in this case.

And then decriminalise rape and murder as well, and make them behavioural issues.

One big fallacy about drug addiction is that it only hurts the addict, which is nonsense, as anybody who has dealt with an addict in their family will tell you. The moment you have been assaulted by drug takers rendered psychotic by their drug, you get a very chilling view of the prospect of the further spread of the abuse of stimulants.

We could equally say that it is acceptable to conduct public exhibitions of necrophilia, since the corpse isn't going to object, and the viewers would be there by choice.

The biggest argument is that decriminalizing drugs eliminates all the other surrounding criminal activities -- the smuggling and corruption, exploitation of minors and violent turf wars.

Well, that's true, in the same way that decriminalizing the stealing of cars gets rid of car thieves, illegal chop shops, vehicle smugglers and bogus licence makers. In fact, the ultimate cause of all criminality is law. As far as I am aware, no one has ever suggested that law should therefore be abandoned.

Then there's the argument "we're losing the war on drugs." What, and so we should just give up? Doctors are losing the war against death, but does that mean they should stop work? If every man has to die, it doesn’t matter very much when he does so.

If the war against drugs is lost, then so are the wars against theft, speeding, incest, fraud, rape, murder, arson, and illegal parking. Few, if any, such wars are winnable. So let us all do anything we choose.

Contrast free-drug Amsterdam, one of the most squalid and violent cities in Europe, with drug-free Singapore, clean and safe.

Do the streets become safer when they are full of people pumped up on 'yaba'?

I guess your an American who is ill informed ? Could you please come up with some statistics about the violence in Amsterdam. I believe bill o reily has been put on his place before when he was spreading lies about the Netherlands. Not to long ago even a presidential candidate was set straight on when he was talking about euthanasia in the Netherlands. It seems Americans love to lie about Holland to make a point and then when they are confronted with their lies act like Thai politicians denying it all.

Legalized drug use would not be a problem, just like alcohol you would not be allowed to use it in traffic and stuff like that. There are many people who can handle drugs not everyone will become an crazy addict. I believe its a free choice as long as you take responsibility for it. Meaning you will have to pay more for your healthcare and stuff. But just look at alcohol is a drug too and a bad one its legalized.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_percap-crime-murders-per-capita

Edited by robblok
  • Like 2

pick up all dealers and users and put them in a big football stadium... then release by helicopter a mass of coke and heroin and let them feast on it till none is moving anymore... apply a few times per year till none are left ???

drug dealers are the worst scum of the earth, selling death to youth and others and cousing a lot of disturbance, violence, etc...

china has a good permanent solution for this problem

It is remarkable that the author sees the social reason behind the rampant drug use among Thai people. The "good people don't do drugs"attitude of many Thai politicians and high government officials surely don't help. But to change their attitude they have to admit that there are problems in the society, which is unthinkable because that would mean that they have to leave their ivory towers and face reality.

And then decriminalise rape and murder as well, and make them behavioural issues.

One big fallacy about drug addiction is that it only hurts the addict, which is nonsense, as anybody who has dealt with an addict in their family will tell you. The moment you have been assaulted by drug takers rendered psychotic by their drug, you get a very chilling view of the prospect of the further spread of the abuse of stimulants.

We could equally say that it is acceptable to conduct public exhibitions of necrophilia, since the corpse isn't going to object, and the viewers would be there by choice.

The biggest argument is that decriminalizing drugs eliminates all the other surrounding criminal activities -- the smuggling and corruption, exploitation of minors and violent turf wars.

Well, that's true, in the same way that decriminalizing the stealing of cars gets rid of car thieves, illegal chop shops, vehicle smugglers and bogus licence makers. In fact, the ultimate cause of all criminality is law. As far as I am aware, no one has ever suggested that law should therefore be abandoned.

Then there's the argument "we're losing the war on drugs." What, and so we should just give up? Doctors are losing the war against death, but does that mean they should stop work? If every man has to die, it doesn’t matter very much when he does so.

If the war against drugs is lost, then so are the wars against theft, speeding, incest, fraud, rape, murder, arson, and illegal parking. Few, if any, such wars are winnable. So let us all do anything we choose.

Contrast free-drug Amsterdam, one of the most squalid and violent cities in Europe, with drug-free Singapore, clean and safe.

I guess your an American who is ill informed ? Could you please come up with some statistics about the violence in Amsterdam. I believe bill o reily has been put on his place before when he was spreading lies about the Netherlands. Not to long ago even a presidential candidate was set straight on when he was talking about euthanasia in the Netherlands. It seems Americans love to lie about Holland to make a point and then when they are confronted with their lies act like Thai politicians denying it all.

Legalized drug use would not be a problem, just like alcohol you would not be allowed to use it in traffic and stuff like that. There are many people who can handle drugs not everyone will become an crazy addict. I believe its a free choice as long as you take responsibility for it. Meaning you will have to pay more for your healthcare and stuff. But just look at alcohol is a drug too and a bad one its legalized.

http://www.nationmas...ders-per-capita

Exactly what I thought when I read "RickBradford" piece. Pure Fox News "fair and balanced" reporting. Amsterdam "squalid and violent". What a joke! And what about Portugal? Is it squalid and violent too?

Then after that he goes on using the good old "reductio to absurdum" and suggest we abolish all laws.

There's a moment when punition does more harm than good. Mostly when you deal with mental illnesses such as drug addiction. Because that's the main difference with the other crimes mentionned here: drug addicts are sick. They need to be treated, and brandishing a stick won't really do anything good about their addiction. After all, that's already what we do when some murderers are deemed mentally ill and legally irresponsible. Fear of punishment doesn't work with these people. We have to find other ways.

• Like 1

@robblok

I guess your an American....

You guess wrong.

... who is ill informed ? ....

Possibly, but having visited Amsterdam, many times, I stand by the statement that it is squalid and violent, a sharp contrast with many other parts of the Netherlands which are very pleasant.

Legalized drug use would not be a problem ....

I think you are being naive. To work, legalised drugs would have to be cheap and readily available (or people will simply go back to the black market). When you make such substances cheap and available, many people are tempted to abuse them, such as children. Look at the under-age drinking problem in many Western countries -- do you think that would improve if we made alcohol legal and available to 10-year-olds?

I believe its a free choice as long as you take responsibility for it.

Drug addicts don't take responsibility for it -- that's the point. Everyone else has to take responsibility for them, and their tiresome, self-destructive behaviour.

But just look at alcohol is a drug too and a bad one its legalized.

So your argument is that since we have one bad substance that is legal, we should make all bad substances legal? How about dynamite? How about nerve gas?

EDIT: @DaveDub: I am not reiterating any official line. The source of my arguments are doctors who have worked with criminals and drug addicts for many years. Here is one such argument. http://www.city-journal.org/html/7_2_a1.html

Edited by RickBradford
  • Like 2

so many flaws, so little time....

• Like 2

@robblok

I guess your an American....

You guess wrong.

... who is ill informed ? ....

Possibly, but having visited Amsterdam, many times, I stand by the statement that it is squalid and violent, a sharp contrast with many other parts of the Netherlands which are very pleasant.

Legalized drug use would not be a problem ....

I think you are being naive. To work, legalised drugs would have to be cheap and readily available (or people will simply go back to the black market). When you make such substances cheap and available, many people are tempted to abuse them, such as children. Look at the under-age drinking problem in many Western countries -- do you think that would improve if we made alcohol legal and available to 10-year-olds?

I believe its a free choice as long as you take responsibility for it.

Drug addicts don't take responsibility for it -- that's the point. Everyone else has to take responsibility for them, and their tiresome, self-destructive behaviour.

But just look at alcohol is a drug too and a bad one its legalized.

So your argument is that since we have one bad substance that is legal, we should make all bad substances legal? How about dynamite? How about nerve gas?

EDIT: @DaveDub: I am not reiterating any official line. The source of my arguments are doctors who have worked with criminals and drug addicts for many years. Here is one such argument. http://www.city-journal.org/html/7_2_a1.html

I disagree with you assessment of amsterdam, i worked there for 5 years. Also the law an enforcement of drugs is no different in amsterdam then in other parts of the netherlands. Maybe you dont realize

Also the law an enforcement of drugs is no different in amsterdam then in other parts of the netherlands. Maybe you dont realize

I do realize; the fact that the law is the same everywhere doesn't mean that the presence of drugs is the same everywhere.

For example, while there are many pleasant cities in the Netherlands, the town of Venlo has for long been a s**thole, because of the strong presence of drugs, in turn caused by its proximity to Germany, where drugs are not so free.

How about showing the west how to do it and create free treatment centers?

Nixon almost did that in the US. Too bad there was no money in it or the US might have been spared untold misery.

Edited by ding

http://www.nationmas...ders-per-capita

Exactly what I thought when I read "RickBradford" piece. Pure Fox News "fair and balanced" reporting. Amsterdam "squalid and violent". What a joke! And what about Portugal? Is it squalid and violent too?

Then after that he goes on using the good old "reductio to absurdum" and suggest we abolish all laws.

There's a moment when punition does more harm than good. Mostly when you deal with mental illnesses such as drug addiction. Because that's the main difference with the other crimes mentionned here: drug addicts are sick. They need to be treated, and brandishing a stick won't really do anything good about their addiction. After all, that's already what we do when some murderers are deemed mentally ill and legally irresponsible. Fear of punishment doesn't work with these people. We have to find other ways.

Gotta agree that RickBradford has been well indoctrinated to believe in a FOX News way of thinking. It's scary that the these types are allowed to roam the streets freely. I find his (apparent) mental addiction to stating the ridiculous nonsense that has been drummed into his head for too many years much much more disturbing than the smell of ganja wafting over from my very pleasant young neighbor's house. I'll definitely keep my sometimes red-eyed and gentle neighbor any day rather than have some nut job like RickBradford live beside me. Rick, you spout a bunch of complete crap. Stop believing everything the ultra-right wing authorities tell you to believe and use you own mind, if it's not too late.

• Like 1

The argument for legalizing and regulating drugs is an interesting one. However, after all the thousands of threads and posts bemoaning the lack of law enforcement in LOS, on this issue those concerns disappear like mist in the sun. Legalise prostitution, legalise bribery, legalise drugs, because enforcement of the laws against them is not working. Then regulate them and all will be well? Surely you jest.cheesy.gif

• Like 1

My reply went haywire, still have to get used to typing on a ipad. Anyway my statistics prove you wrong.

I dont use any drugs but id like people to be able too. Many drug users have no problems there are only a few abusers and most crime stems from sale and high prices. I know that it will never be legalized but i still think its a good solution.

I have used drugs and many of my friends did too. They held good jobs never had a problem.

• Like 1

Gotta agree that RickBradford has been well indoctrinated to believe in a FOX News way of thinking. It's scary that the these types are allowed to roam the streets freely. I find his (apparent) mental addiction to stating the ridiculous nonsense that has been drummed into his head for too many years much much more disturbing than the smell of ganja wafting over from my very pleasant young neighbor's house. I'll definitely keep my sometimes red-eyed and gentle neighbor any day rather than have some nut job like RickBradford live beside me. Rick, you spout a bunch of complete crap. Stop believing everything the ultra-right wing authorities tell you to believe and use you own mind, if it's not too late.

+1

I seem to have poked a stick into a lot of 'progressive' cages this morning.

The evidence is clear; if you make drugs cheap and available, more people will abuse them.

If that's the kind of society you want to live in, fine, but I don't think Thai society would benefit from legal and cheap yaba, ice and heroin, and if y'all think that's a ultra right-wing nut-job stance, that's fine with me.

The evidence is clear; if you make drugs cheap and available, more people will abuse them.

If that's the kind of society you want to live in, fine, but I don't think Thai society would benefit from legal and cheap yaba, ice and heroin, and if y'all think that's a ultra right-wing nut-job stance, that's fine with me.

but you think Thai society does benefit from illegal and less-cheap yaba, ice and heroin..

good stuff.

Edited by nurofiend

What's up Rick - can't counter my arguments? Or is my opinion beneath your comment?

You just take the easy way - fall back to offhand, meaningless, unsubstantiated rhetoric again, why not.

Do you really care about this issue, or are you just trolling?

but you think Thai society does benefit from illegal and less-cheap yaba, ice and heroin..

good stuff.

No, I think Thai society would benefit from no yaba, ice and heroin, but we all know that's not going to happen.

good stuff.

No, I think Thai society would benefit from no yaba, ice and heroin, but we all know that's not going to happen.

ha, exactly.