Thaksin's Daughter Thailand's Richest Stockholder

george

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Transferring assets to your children and spouse is nothing out of the ordinary.   If everyone in the 20% of the population that controls 80% of the economy had to have their assets publicly listed, then you'd fine similar patterns.    Granted, if most of your contact is with the other 80% of the population, 'inheritance' and 'legacy' are probably, for better or worse, alien concepts.

:o

No more alien of a concept than the phrase "blind trust" means in the Thai

political-financial world.

All these billions the PM "gave-away-but-still-actually-controls" to his maids and gardeners and subsequently to his barely legal-aged kids raises questions to Westerners controlling the world stock markets because of the above phrase.

Judging from the responses to this thread, it is indeed an alien concept.

:D

I dont see it as an alien concept but I do see such blatantly obvious profiteering from an elected official mildly sickening, especilly in a country with so much poverty.

So this is wholely and sole his daughters assets then ?? So she earnt them where ?? If transfered to her did she pay inhertance taxes or income taxes ??

So this is wholely and sole his daughters assets then ?? So she earnt them where ?? If transfered to her did she pay inhertance taxes or income taxes ??

They are family assets, no matter whose name they are under. Perhaps that's another alien concept. As for their tax payments, I would think not, judging from the tax avoidance behaviour at virtually all levels of society here.

...but are they happy?

In comparision to this lot a half mill.bucks would hardly buy a bag of chips or a decent English Premier Football club...anyways whos counting....

Richest People in the World :o

Rank Country Individual

1 United States Gates, William H III ....Billy boy

2 United States Buffett, Warren E ........Silver man

3 India Lakshmi Mittal .......................A real Steel.

4 Mexico Carlos Slim Helu .................Tacos?

5 Saudi Arabia Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Alsaud ...Sexy House Statues..

6 Sweden Ingvar Kamprad ................tables and chairs

7 United States Paul Allen ........................

8 Germany Karl Albrecht .....................

9 United States Lawrence Ellison ...............

10 United States S Robson Walton ................

Source: Forbes

And 90% of Thai's don't give a sh1t !!

Almost anywhere else in the world this would kick up hel_l, topple the government, evoke enquiries.............But TIT ! !

It's worse, they like him. Even the fact that the King doesnt like him don't make them change their minds.

Maybe there's no alternative...

shame!

Be careful of what 'facts' you think you know; ain't your place to decide who our King likes or doesn't like.

And who exactly likes Thaksin? Plenty of people who do not... could use the same argument:

americans like Bush

English like Blair

French like Chirac (or whatever his name is)

Kiwis like Clark....

Kind of doesn't really explain the concept of democracy so well does it....ok, majority of Thais voted for him in the last election...that is a phrase I can agree with....

As for this alledged 90% of Thai people??? Evidence please - haven't seen a 90% approval rating of late.....

What is it that is so repulsive?>

- that he is making so much money

- that he is not deregulating the industry promptly enough or instigating mechanisms to ensure a fair market

- that he has transferred shares to his kids (this is possible worldwide, although often done using a trust structure)

- that you didn't buy AIS and SHIN stocks

- that there is no civil unrest

- that his family is alledgedly not paying tax (I am sure that dividends are tax paid, so proceeds from share ownership via dividends would most likely be tax paid; capital gains do not apply)

- that the daughter is suddenly super rich

I am curious which is the worst of the above; certainly I have issues, but I would never have thought the issue of transfering to kids would have been the one to raise.... :o:D mystified as to why THIS is why people are talking>?

Unfortunately, most Thais I know, do like Thaksin, and know nothing about his family's assets, or don't care, just as the Brits didn't care about Mr. Thatcher accumulating wealth trailing behind his wife.

No difference here at all...

Unfortunately, most Thais I know, do like Thaksin, and know nothing about his family's assets, or don't care, just as the Brits didn't care about Mr. Thatcher accumulating wealth trailing behind his wife.

Sadly, most Thais I know don't like him, and don't do that much about it....

Same as most of my NZ friends who dont like Helen Clark...but then again they all live overseas now so I guess that at least did something! :o (my friends live overseas, not Helen Clark, there is only one of her thank goodness). (and she is not anywhere near here). (I hope).

Isn't Thatcher's son involved in summat in the Africa?

Same as most of my NZ friends who dont like Helen Clark...but then again they all live overseas now so I guess that at least did something! :D (my friends live overseas, not Helen Clark, there is only one of her thank goodness). (and she is not anywhere near here). (I hope).

Suggested that he bankrolled a chap called Simon M.with a few bucks for him and his band of brothers to ...sort of remove a nasty little despot Africian dictator from a flee infested even smaller rat ar*e hole of a country which just happens to have a lot of minerals that are worth a bob or three.

Simon M.(ex Col and film star) and his mates (read fall guys)are happily banged up in one of Bob MacGabees holidays resorts (Zimbabwe) still I believe waiting to be transfered to poss.one of the nasty little Dic-tators country retreats.

The money changing hands over there would make the most corrupt Thai polician green with envy..

SIR marky is now holed up with his mates in a condo in Monaco having been refused a visa to go to the States on the grounds of being Un-Desirable...can you adam and Eve it....

The day one of my guys found him wandering about lost in the desert in Algeria (motor broke down)......some 20 plus years ago (mommy cried help)was when his life changed forever..... :D:D

made a few bob out of a wee hospital contract in .OM*n as well.as..............shush....mummy could be listening... :D

Bumped into Carol (his sister) last week at Heathrow airport (TG -wifes flight) on her way back from UP the Jungle..I m a cele"braty"..or something..... :o

The economic elites around the world are all slowly circling their collective wagons to protect their assets knowing the shell game will eventually come to an end within the next generation or two....

While we're making wild *wishful* guesses, put my bets down for: >>within the next 250 years or so.<<

Granted it's only a side view of the man, but I do detect a family resemblance to this guy here:

milkman.jpg

:D:D:o:D:D brilliant!

Actually, the older sister is pretty hot; however the younger one looks just like her dad.

I don't think that makes her that attractive...but if you wanted to sleep with a female version of the T...well she would be it.

Haha had to laugh at this......who gives a hoot what the daughters look like with that much $ value........they could have hundreds of face jobs to make em look like your favourite hornbag anytime. So not to worry !!

How easy one becomes the typical male yob.........:o

The daughters are cute.  I wonder if they like older white guys...

Agreeably, they are cute. Makes me wonder who their real father is.... it surely can't be the Elmer Fudd-lookalike listed on their birth certificates... :o

I think that you need to get your eyes tested, unless they have been incommoded by the colour of money!? Both the daughters are passable, as in pass them by. In Blighty one might be tempted but not here!

Same as most of my NZ friends who dont like Helen Clark...but then again they all live overseas now so I guess that at least did something! :o (my friends live overseas, not Helen Clark, there is only one of her thank goodness). (and she is not anywhere near here). (I hope).

You are SO right about NZ and not getting any better. as I write this the government and reserve bank are trying to manufacture a recession. High Kiwi dollar about to fall some say 20% down. If you have any Kiwi bucks now might be a good time to buy USD or even BHT.

Sorry a bit off topic but but I think another Kiwi member and may be interested.

I wouldn't want to be in these people's shoes if the sh*t hits the fan....

Do you think it will hit the fan?

Can't get much info apart from the wife via web sites and not many of them.

some people think it WILL hit the fan:

Beginning of the end for Thaksin thread

It will hit the fan but in Thai terms it means nothing.

Let,s be real here,does anyone really think they will be worried,loose there

ill gotten gains or give a ****

How are you going to change the Thai culture and make them accountable ?

Money is the God of most Thai,s and if you haven,t got it, according to them your insignificant.

As a further observation this was headlined in yesterdays B.Post :-

PM's clan told to pay B5bn in tax

The Senate's graft subcommittee says the Revenue Department applied an unequal standard in failing to levy a tax on the transfer of shares by Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife Khunying Potjaman to their family members. The panel has asked the Shinawatra clan to pay up the income tax worth over five billion baht.

Open the content to read the full version via recent issues for Sat. 18-12-05

as it,s quite long for this post.

I like the bit " they have ASKED them to pay up "

Does anyone reckon they,ll pay up in full ?

:o:D:D

What a sad situation, another 1997 is on it,s way big time

Keep your money in the bank at a minimum until after it happens

• 2 years later...
Crash course in "thaksinomics" and stockholding rankings

ShinawatraFamily.jpg

Panthongtae (#4), Potjaman (#397, but #1 from 1996-1999), Elmer Fudd, Pinthongtha (#1), Paethongtarn (#45 and ex-McDonald's employee)

but also... don't forget... in any discussion of his family, Daddy can get quite emotional, so lets not be TOO harsh on any of them. Also, regarding her length of service to the Golden Arches...it was slightly less than 30 days (so I don't believe she'll be drawing any retirement benefits):

BANGKOK, April 30, 2004 (AFP) - Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra made a tearful appeal Friday for his daughter Paethongtharn's privacy to be respected after she was rejected from a prominent university under controversial circumstances.
Paetongtarn was thrust into the media spotlight earlier this month when she took a job at a Bangkok McDonald's restaurant for one month on her father's advice.

I guess she doesn't need that job at McDonalds anymore, eh? :D

Actually, that was Pinthonga's younger sister, Phaethongtharn, that did the little publicity stunt job at McDonald's. She's now a university sophomore and has a "paltry" net worth of "only" Bt1.42 billion.

So many members of the extended Big family that it's kinda hard to keep them all straight. :D

And his offspring seem to bring out controversy at school:

His son was supposed to get thrown out of Raemkhamheng Uni after getting caught with blantantly cheating on a exam. The denial was such a slick public relations job. Perhaps cheating was a part of life, declared the rector of the university; everyone does it. This was all after he was tossed out of Thammasatt for academic failure.

His daughter, who had a 2.45 GPA, was going to be admitted to a Chulalongkorn University programme that demanded a 2.75 GPA or higher. Suddenly, the dean of faculty announced that there was a misprint in the brochures advertising the programme. There was so much hub-bub over this as many more qualified students were turned down to give her a seat that the school subsequently turned refused her admission, but eventually she got into a different, less-desired faculty at Chula. A huge blow to the school's previously fine standing occured when Chulalongkorn University Rector Dr Suchada Keeranant welcomed the premier's daughter, saying the university would treat her like other students without any special privileges. She expressed much sympathy for Paetongtarn, urging the public and the media to stop their attacks on her. "We should pity her."

The whole thing caused one of my most favorite times during the Thaksin era:

Thaksin Shinawatra made a tearful appeal Friday for his daughter's privacy to be respected after she was rejected from a prominent university under controversial circumstances.

Thaksin has battled allegations that his 17-year-old daughter Paetongtarn benefitted when the entrance standards for a popular course were relaxed, and that exam papers were leaked to privileged students.

"There has been an effort to drag my daughter into politics. I was upset over the matter," Thaksin said in a trembling voice."I'm begging you, please, she doesn't have anything to do with anything," Thaksin said in his most emotional public appearance.

Tears brimmed in his eyes when he said Paetongtarn always put on a brave face in front of him.

"She was afraid I would be too stressed, but when I peeked into her room, she was crying," Thaksin said.

OOOOHHHHHHHHH BOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO.... how SAD.....

:o:D:D

The whole thing also created my favorite quote from Thaksin's brain-challenged son:

"She isn't a stupid girl," the young man said. "She's capable of studying at any foreign university. She just wanted to be here and stay close to dad. If some politicians have no idea who to attack, come and attack me. Don't go after a small girl."

LOL.... Hahahahaha.... PRICELESS....

such sage words from the young billionaire

UPDATE... of all the above background... with news of her graduation... alone :D

acceptableswimwear.jpg

Thaksin daughter is graduating

Paethongtan Shinawatra, the youngest child of ex-PM Thaksin Shinawatra, is graduating from Chulalongkorn University's Faculty of Political Science on Thursday. Her commencement ceremony will be held in the afternoon. She refused to speak to reporters while taking photographs with classmates. There are still no signs of Thaksin, his wife Potjaman, her brother Panthongtae, and sister Pinthongta at

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=128803

It’s graduation day for Paethongtan Shinawatra, who is former Prime Minister Thaksin’s youngest daughter. She’s being congratulated by friends and her father’s political fans.

However, she says she does not know when her parents will be arriving to join the ceremonies.

At Chulalongkorn University today, graduation ceremonies are underway. One of the many graduates is Paethongtan Shinawatra, the youngest daughter of Thaksin and Pojaman Shinawatra.

Paethongtan is accepting a Bachelor’s Degree in Science from Chulalongkorn’s Faculty of Political Science with an emphasis in sociology and anthropology. Although the ceremony officially starts this afternoon, Paethongtan arrived bright and early to take pictures with her fellow graduates and friends.

Aside from the press, she was surrounded by her father’s political fans and some members of the Democracy Against Dictatorship. :o

The young graduate insists that she does not know when her parents will be arriving to congratulate her.

Thaksin Shinawatra’s spokesperson reveals that the couple will be arriving at Chulalongkorn University this afternoon. A number of plaincloth police officers are on site to ensure security.

- Thailand Outlook

They finally fell out of bed and showed up...

Graduation day for five billionaires... crime DOES pay... thus far... :o

r2030627844.jpg

Ousted Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra poses for a family photo on the graduation day of his daughter Paetongtarn at a Bangkok university July 10, 2008.

REUTERS

Edited by sriracha john

Nothing gets past him...

Thaksin unaware of FM Minister's resignation

Deposed Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra today traveled to congratulate his youngest daughter Pathongtarn Shinawatra upon the receiving of her degree in Political Science from Chulalongkorn University.

The former PM gave his daughter a warm hug following her emergence from the graduation ceremony and commented on her perseverance throughout her education.

Thaksin also revealed that he was not aware that Foreign Affairs Minister Noppadol Pattama, who also once served as his lawyer, had earlier today resigned from his post in the Cabinet.

- ThaiNews