Nationwide Alcohol Ban For Makabucha Day: Thailand

webfact

So silly and what a waste of police tiem with so much real crime still to solve. Prohibition NEVER works hasn't history shown us that. If your religion says you should not drink and it is important to you then simply do not drink but why involve others who do nto follow you faith in such rulings. Hardly freedom or logical or sensible/ Oh well I suppose TIT.

Or perhaps you could try observance out of respect. After all, it's not your country. No doubt you would be pissed off with foreigners in your own country carrying on as though your own sacred days meant nothing. Just a suggestion.

Im sure the locals will drink too. Anyway i am not religious so if a foreigner would do something on my sacred days i would not care one bit. Religion is not a good thing when its forced upon others. You have to follow a religion out of free will

As long as one has respect for self, others, is fully responsible for ones actions, it doesn't matter who, or what, one prays to, also have respect for Mother Earth and the Voiceless, Children, Wildlife, Waterways and Soil. We are all in this neighborhood together.

If there "Happens" to be another place, after this Heaven and Hell, one will get a key.

You can take that to the bank, No! Not the bank, put it under your mattress.

• Like 1

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No.

The responsible drinkers and the drunks can adopt the same strategies: stop drinking for one day (OMG), stock up in advance, go somewhere that ignores the law and have a drink there. Some locales have been suggested. Surely, this a minor inconvenience, no more. No-one is gonna die! ;-)

However, is there a smoking ban tomorrow? A yabba-dabba-doo smoking ban, where people do die as a result of psychotic states?

Yabbah ban? Would that be a minor inconvenience in Ubon or Udon, to name but a few?

Can the responsible smokers stop for a day, and yet cigarettes will be for re-sale tomorrow?

Isn't it ALL relative?

-mel.

AARRGGH. Just finished a month offshore and enforced sobriety and then this. I seem to have it down to a fine art of hitting the beach the same day as elections/riots/Buddha days and all the other BS reasons to shut the bars. All I want to do is have a few quiet ones to flush offshore out of the system while I wait for the flight to BKK from Nakhon Nowhere. Not to many or to quick as is a long wait. Good thing I have a few stashed in the fridge in BKK, should be cold by now, just the long delay in getting there.

Cheers and beers

So silly and what a waste of police tiem with so much real crime still to solve. Prohibition NEVER works hasn't history shown us that. If your religion says you should not drink and it is important to you then simply do not drink but why involve others who do nto follow you faith in such rulings. Hardly freedom or logical or sensible/ Oh well I suppose TIT.

Or perhaps you could try observance out of respect. After all, it's not your country. No doubt you would be pissed off with foreigners in your own country carrying on as though your own sacred days meant nothing. Just a suggestion.

Good suggestion.

• Like 1

dry day will do everyone a bit of good

but am sure the "mum & pop" stores will still be selling !!

My local "mom & pop" is business as usual (7.30am) only 2Bht more than 7/11 for a large Leo. Stocked up for the day, just in case things go south. drunk.gifburp.gif

Never stop be amazed how this kind of days are so big issues for you guys? If you desperately need to drink alcohol every day would it be so difficult to buy it in advance? And why do you have to criticize this kind of bans at all? This is not your country and not the business of yours at all. It just sounds so childish.

• Like 1

I don"t hear too many complaints about the public holiday on this special Buddhist day. Nor the other Buddhist holidays, or Songhkran, or Christmas, Easter or the various New Years. Swings and roundabouts. If you enjoy the benefits, why bitch about a minor inconvenience, which you can minimise with almost no effort. Enough of the chestbeating, wailing and gnashing of teeth. There is no conspiracy to deprive you of your alcohol-consumption rights. One day. Surely you can manage that. Show some respect.

• Like 1

Being from the UK I am a bit puzzled about when these sacred days are - Christmas, when the pubs might, depending where you are, be closed but everybody's getting pissed at home anyway or Easter, the major Christian festival which is a holiday weekend when the pubs make loads of money. Most people on here I believe are from nominally Christian countries where there is scant acknowledgement of any religious significance to these "sacred days".

However I accept your point about respect for Thai festivals

Yeah, but don't forget we from the UK are evolved (religously anyway) from pagans. Go back to your roots.

Being from the UK I am a bit puzzled about when these sacred days are - Christmas, when the pubs might, depending where you are, be closed but everybody's getting pissed at home anyway or Easter, the major Christian festival which is a holiday weekend when the pubs make loads of money. Most people on here I believe are from nominally Christian countries where there is scant acknowledgement of any religious significance to these "sacred days".

Throughout the US there are many many places that limit or ban the sales of alcohol on Sundays.

Edit: And in the UK, wasn't it not that long ago that all (not just booze) trade was restricted on Sundays?

Northern Ireland used to be closed on Sundays. Ironically the only place you could get a drink was the clubs, which were generally para-military run.

How far should we go back in human evolution? We are apparently descended from apes. Let's not look back nor regress quite that far. ;-)

Yeah, but don't forget we from the UK are evolved (religously anyway) from pagans. Go back to your roots.

The responsible drinkers and the drunks can adopt the same strategies: stop drinking for one day (OMG), stock up in advance, go somewhere that ignores the law and have a drink there. Some locales have been suggested. Surely, this a minor inconvenience, no more. No-one is gonna die! ;-)

But how can I do my work! Will be glad when they legalize drugs and then we can revert to themclap2.gif

(Joking!!)

"could face a fine of up to 10,000 baht and or a maximum of 6 months in jail."

this fine should apply to the traffic law breaking thai drivers as well.

If they're drinking and driving, then it likely would

Doubtless it won't stop the old soaks who retire here from rotting their livers.

Thailand should be doing the opposite of banning alcohol on these mumbo jumbo days and instead promote its consumption. Expand the market. At least then there might be the possibility of drinking something other than Chang, Singha, or any of what passes for an alcoholic beverage here. Better still, sack it all and raise the green. Peace.

Yes true, the Thai should make a Earth Day...hay Buddha was here.. even before JC. Did you know the full moon in June is an Invocation Day for JC

THE GREAT INVOCATION

From the point of Light within the mind of God

Let light stream forth into the minds of men

Let Light descend on Earth.

From the point of Love within the Heart of God

Let love stream forth into the hearts of men

May Christ return to Earth.

From the centre where the Will of God is known

Let purpose guide the little wills of men

The purpose which the Masters know and serve.

From the centre which we call the race of men

Let the Plan of Love and Light work out

And may it seal the door where evil dwells.

Let Light and Love and Power restore the Plan on Earth.

and full moon in May is Buddha's day. Buddha would like a EARTH DAY !!!

wow big fines for selling alcohol... no fines at all for poisening a whole area with cancersmoke from burning garbage or other toxic material

Is this actually the law? Do the police really have the power to apparently arbitarily impose alcohol bans for religious festivals?

It is the law -- police simply enforcing or being asked to enforce or maybe just providing them some additional income to compensate for their incredibly low salaries.

Oh, that makes the corruption OK then..................................

Get a life man.

• Like 1

My ex-gf: "Do you want an ice tea?"

Me:" No...I want a beer!"

My ex-gf:"NO! Listen! Do you want an ICE TEA???"

Me: "No...I want...oh...yes...one Ice Tea please!"

(that sh@t must have been rotten. tasted so much like beer!)

Looks like coors/molson is ahead of you in the iced tea beer thought http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203458604577265981381936526.html

The law has nothing to do with tourists. Thailand, its culture and prominent religion doesn't revolve around tourists. If you have no problem with not drinking for a day then why get worked up over this? You need to obey speed limits too regardless of how skilled a driver you are or how remote and safe the road is. Take a lesson from the culture here and don't get worked up over things that don't even effect you or that you cannot control. If you're an alcoholic that for some reason is only able to drink in the bars or is only able to go out on Wednesday then by all means, share your gripe. But to act as though this is the first time in your life you have experienced laws or restrictions on when, where, how much, what type and by whom alcohol can be bought or sold (in just about any country) is to get yourself worked up over nothing.

Speeding laws are based on a lot of logic it is called road safety, same with drink and driving. But to ban everyone from drinking alcohol because of some reigious doctrine is just crazy IMHO. If you are a fully practicing Budhist and want to respect that doctrine then of course you should do so but NOT expect others to have to follow you by force, that is childish and selfish. It is a bit like an Atheist trying to ban all religions (as they did do in the USSR at one time last century) whihc is also mega selfish and intolerant of other folks freedoms..

Oh and just because somehting does not affect you personally it does not mean you should not stand up and express your thought out views, and thus support others who are wrongly and selfishly affected by such clearly silly and illogical laws. Too much of the "I'm Alright Jack" attitude these days I am sorry to say.

As I stated in the speeding analogy, if you can speed and still be safe, you are still breaking the law. So, this would clearly not be about safety. Besides, shouldn't people be able to decide for themselves what is safe out on an open road with no other traffic?

But ok, so then I guess you see having laws that limit bars from being open 24/7 is also an infringement on people's rights. You are in a de facto Buddhist country where there are laws and government promotion of this religion that makes up 95% of the population. There are religious countries all over the world and even ones that don't subscribe to promoting a particular religion or have freedom of religion but still promote a religion or belief system. In the US where there is Freedom of Religion, you will nor find currency not having the words, "In God We Trust" and person in the US has recited a pledge (most thousands of times) stating the US is one nation "under God"

There is simply no reason to act surprised by linking religion and booze. It has and continues to happen throughout history in many countries. In the US sales of Booze is limited in many places on Sunday and up until I believe the mid-90s the UK didn't even allow most shops to be open on Sunday.

No doubt you should help stand up for others who are being mistreated or abused if they welcome and wish you to help but somehow I doubt there are many Thai's looking for help from a farang about Buddhist laws or observances in Thailand. As for other tourists and guests in this country, they don't have a say in the laws and cannot vote .. this should be a hint that we should simply respect the laws and customs in Thailand.

If you want to moan about something, that is certainly your right but I would think there is actually worthwhile causes to support than getting your panties in a bunch about sales of alcohol being limited on a certain holidays in a foreign land. Lots of local would certainly appreciate your help with certain things but I just don't see this as one and don't see your voice meaning anything to anybody that matter on this subject. So, it would appear it is not a matter of standing up to or for anybody but simply a minor thing to try to make into a big thing.

Nisa what you are saying is indeed all fact which to be honest most of us all kow anyway and of course nobody can dispute those facts. But does that make it truly right and are all laws fair and right then? WHat I and many others are saying is it is wrong to take away peoples freedom totally unnecessarily based on some probably mythical and/or misinterpreted religious beliefs not shared by everyone.

Obviously in society there can be no such thing as total freedom as somebody will alwyas have soem control; over others whether that is Government or Rich Corporates controlling folks lives. .Bottom line though is, or should be, true and honest Democracy and self determination by the majority. As such all laws should be made with clear majority support (not by a few minority religious bigots for example) and there should be a constitution that such new laws should never infringe on acceptable levels of international laid down human rights. Basing a silly illogical alcohol prohibition law on some probably minority interpretation of some religious doctrine is quite honestly in my eys crazy and makes no allowances for those that live in a country that do not follow such a religion. If you are a devout Budhist then if the doctrine says you should not drink on certain days or sell alcohol then you would not do so of course or else dare I say it be guilty of hypocracy.

Sure it is a trivial issue just on a single day and I can and have to live with it. BUT once again it is the principle here that is truly NOT trivial and thus why many here stand up and say what they think about this issue and totally unnecessary infringement of personla freedom. I am sure many like me are far far from being even remotely alcoholic and this should not be the issue at all. Oh and yes you are also correct in saying there are many other worthwhile causes we should also be fighting for, but most of them in the end boil down like this current issue to the same unacceptable and unnecessary infringement of human rights and freedom and often in th ename of some bigotted religious based control of people, many of whom do not want or need it.

“Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.”

The powers that be turn rules into laws and enforcement agencies ensure the application of those laws.

Too many links in the chain for a country like Thailand !

We have to accept that, as visitors to this fine land, we get caught up in their administrative mis-management.

Whilst on the alcohol connection, the one I like is the no alcohol rule for 24 hours before an election - any election. What other (developing) country has to impose a booze ban to try and prevent it's inhabitants kicking/shooting sh!t out of each in the name of democracy.

Never stop be amazed how this kind of days are so big issues for you guys? If you desperately need to drink alcohol every day would it be so difficult to buy it in advance? And why do you have to criticize this kind of bans at all? This is not your country and not the business of yours at all. It just sounds so childish.

Good sensible comment. Not so difficult to plan ahead and look for the Buddha related holidays coming up, and election dates of course. I always maintain a good stock of Chang and enjoy a drink anytime at my favourite establishment - indoors.
  • Like 1

Whilst on the alcohol connection, the one I like is the no alcohol rule for 24 hours before an election - any election. What other (developing) country has to impose a booze ban to try and prevent it's inhabitants kicking/shooting sh!t out of each in the name of democracy.

A number of US States ban alcohol on election day .. just as alcohol is restricted in some areas based on religious views. Last I was aware Mexico also bans selling alcohol on election day. Canada changed its law in the mid 90's allowing sales on election day ... Although not a list of developing nations, this covers North America, where I have some knowledge.

Keep in mind too that Thai's are required to vote in their home providence and this is often a day journey to vote.

However, is there a smoking ban tomorrow? A yabba-dabba-doo smoking ban, where people do die as a result of psychotic states?

Yabbah ban? Would that be a minor inconvenience in Ubon or Udon, to name but a few?

Can the responsible smokers stop for a day, and yet cigarettes will be for re-sale tomorrow?

Isn't it ALL relative?

-mel.

Nicotine is a hard drug, I don't know any casual smokers. There may be some, but most people I know would leave their office or the restaurant to have a cigarette. This is not only inconvenient for them, but often impolite to company, unless their company smokes too.

Most people I know (again, with exceptions) are casual drinkers. A wine with the dinner, or a beer after dinner, why not. No wine/beer today (there are some "family restaurants" that don't serve alcohol, I always ask whether they forget that the father is part of the family), no problem.

That's not the issue here. The issue is that a religious rule is imposed on all people currently in the country, regardless of their religion. And this is in a country that considers itself secular.

IMHO a religious rules should be for the followers of that religion to decide whether or not they want to obey. In a secular country, it has absolutely nothing to do with people who follow other religions.

And I am a Buddhist, by the way.