Thailand Eyes Hosting Formula 1 Race In 2014

webfact

Thailand eyes hosting Formula One race in 2014

BANGKOK, 7 March 2012 (NNT) - The Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Tourism and Sports Chumpol Silpa-archa announced that Thailand has its eyes set on being host of the Formula One (F1) race in 2014.

Following discussions with relevant parties on the possibility of Thailand hosting the Formula One race, Mr. Chumpol stated that the Thai government has confirmed its interest to host the racing tournament within three years time.

He also revealed that a number of companies from the private sector, such as Red Bull, PTT and automobile manufacturers, have shown enthusiasm in co-hosting the event with the Thailand Convention and Exhibition Bureau (TCEB) and the Sports Authority of Thailand (SAT).

Meanwhile, Tourism and Sports Spokesperson Watchara Kannikar disclosed that within this week, Mr. Chumpol will submit Thailand's candidacy to host the race to Formula One President, Mr. Bernie Ecclestone. Additionally, he will also confirm that Thailand will be host of the Race of Champions, an international motor-sport event featuring some of the world’s best racing drivers, at the National Stadium in November 2012, which will serve as a preparation for the future F1 race.

As host to the F1 race, Singapore saw a 300% increase in tourist figure. Thus, being granted the rights to host the event will be a beneficial opportunity for Thailand. Initially, the budget of the event was calculated at over 10 billion baht given that there might be a need to build a new racing stadium. However, it is possible that the real cost will be lower than previously estimated, standing in the billion digit range.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-03-07 footer_n.gif

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is there a track that might be even remotely suitable for F1's in Thailand?

I can't really see this getting off the ground, but even if it did, I don't think there would be a 300% increase in tourism ... even for a weekend.

• Like 2

Some serious opportunities for the cleaky few to make a fortune in backhanders with this one. Unless they came up with an innovative street race they would need a new stadium. A street race could see Bangkok traffic totally disrupted for 2-3 weeks, maybe even longer, would be fun though.

I can't believe that hosting F1 saw a 300% rise in tourism throughout the year in Singapore. Maybe for that particular week. I thought in General the ONLY one that makes any money out of F1 was Mr Ecclestone..

Edited by GentlemanJim
  • Like 1

I'm sure they are licking their chops over this one. In Singapore during the F1 race and the normal hotel rate of $250 went to $1,000 per night. Some hotels were charging $1,500+ per night.

• Like 1

With the Red Bull and PTT connections already well entrenched in F1 this could possibly happen. It would need to be a night race to seriously stand a chance of making an ever increasingly crowded calender.

However, just ask Turkey about how financially viable such a race would be; Bernie demands huge fees to host each GP and as someone else mentioned there are no suitable venues.

One big concern is the level of corruption and constant questions about construction standards, health and safety - it would be disastrous to spend all the money building a facility only to have it turned down due to crumbling concrete stands, cracking runway - erm - track, etc...

With the Red Bull and PTT connections already well entrenched in F1 this could possibly happen. It would need to be a night race to seriously stand a chance of making an ever increasingly crowded calender.

However, just ask Turkey about how financially viable such a race would be; Bernie demands huge fees to host each GP and as someone else mentioned there are no suitable venues.

One big concern is the level of corruption and constant questions about construction standards, health and safety - it would be disastrous to spend all the money building a facility only to have it turned down due to crumbling concrete stands, cracking runway - erm - track, etc...

Haha never in a month of Sundays will there be F1 in Thailand - why do these moronic politicos waste so much of their time on stupid ideas

• Like 1

Just think it would be a waste of money 10 billion baht range for an F1 stadium, surely hosting an F1 race is a 'luxury'. With essential services such as hospitals facing budgets deficits the money needs to go else where first. I'd love to see F1 cars racing in Bkk, but i'd rather have a good public health and education system.

Ahh well next week some bright spark will come up with the idea of hosting the winter Olympics in Chiang Mai

My pennyworth,

The admission fees alone will exclude 99% of Thai fans. Jumping from 50 baht for a car full at the Bira to tens of thousands for an F1 day out, impossible for the general public.

To be honest though how many local people actually know anything about motor sport and would they be interested? Doubtful methinks.

As someone else rightly pointed out there would be a lot of money made by the chosen few and their families, and yes 10B baht ... how many schools and hospitals would that build or improve.

Paul1.

If it could come off, it would do wonders for car development. We all know that steering wheel gear change shifter buttons and ABS, amongst many others, all came from required development of F1 vehicles. Maybe James Bond
aqua-land
vehicles might just become a Honda/Toyota reality, to suit the seasonal racing schedules.
;)

-mel.

Pipe dream. Russia is looking to get a race likely in 2014. South Africa is also waiting, and there’s talk of a 2nd Indian F1 track.

But an excellent opportunity to clock some taxpayer funded frequent flyer milage for the Thai big wigs and their entourage.

Edited by rheinwiese
  • Like 1

prepare lots of $$$ guys:

Costs of hosting an F1 GP

1). building an F1 spec race track costs anywhere between U$ 250-300 million.

2) “hosting fees” payable to Formula One Management (Bernie Ecclestone): average of U$ 29 million per year.

Is there a track that might be even remotely suitable for F1's in Thailand?

I can't really see this getting off the ground, but even if it did, I don't think there would be a 300% increase in tourism ... even for a weekend.

Samui ring road-ideal, Used as a race track daily

It would seem that some people have a hard time reading and comprehending the article.

"...revealed that a number of companies from the private sector, such as Red Bull, PTT and automobile manufacturers, have shown enthusiasm in co-hosting the event with the Thailand Convention and Exhibition Bureau (TCEB) and the Sports Authority of Thailand (SAT)."

So, Public-Private partnership. Of course, should this ever come off the ground, I am as skeptical about this as anyone, it would require a decent track to be built. They could use this for the rest of the year for some proper racing instead of that silliness down in Bang Sean.

Plenty of rich people here with Ferraris, Lambos, R8s, whatnot who want to flog their ride and are willing to pay.

with F1 races already held in Malaysia / Singapore - now Thailand, How?

First failure; Educate Thai drivers. It should be banned until the traffic mentality is corrected and the level of traffic safety is

ultimately standardized.

• Like 2

First failure; Educate Thai drivers. It should be banned until the traffic mentality is corrected and the level of traffic safety is

ultimately standardized.

What does this have to do with auto racing? Nothing. Let's not turn this into a topic ranting about Thai traffic habits.