AIS 4G Trials Kicked Off

webfact

AIS 4G trials kicked off

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's first 4G Long Term Evolution mobile broadband trial began in Bangkok and Maha Sarakham province, operated by Advanced Info Service.

Advanced Info Service, or AIS Assistant Vice President, Saran Paloprakarn revealed that the company just began

hosting the first trial of 4G Long Term Evolution, or LTE.

Early this year, the Office of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission,or NBTC, has allowed mobile operators,

namely AIS, TOT and CAT Telecom-Digital Phone Company to apply for 4G testing in Bangkok and Maha Sarakham province.

The test is set for this May.

He said the company is testing the 4G base stations on the 2300 and 1800 Megahertz frequency in 20 stations in Bangkok and 8 stations in

Maha Sarakham.

Saran stated that the company is satisfied with the results of the first trial, saying that the new system will help boost consumers' confidence.

Moreover, the 4G system will help relieve the network density problem once an increasing number of consumers use the 3G system.

Meanwhile, chairman of the NBTC's committee, Settapong Malisuwan said the committee will announce its planned auction of licences for use of the 2.1-gigahertz spectrum in 3G system by the end of May.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-03-07

footer_n.gif

Do we have 3 G now. Not noticed anytything different.

Yes we do check out the ais website for coverage areas btw - dtac and true are using wcdma on 850 mhz - this is not supported by many phones my htc touch has 3 g with ais but not with dtac.

If memory serves, Vietnam launched 4G in September 2010.

Can you share any links detailing the 4G launching in Vietnam in September 2010? I think your memory may not be serving you so well?

They do have quite a few 3G subscribers, the bulk of which are actually fixed-line broadband substitution. That is to say, people using 3G for a home internet connection as they probably can't get DSL or DOCSIS.

The trials and tribulations of 3G here in Thailand are well documented. However, the situation today is probably much better than the average foreigner might otherwise believe.

TOT, CAT/TrueMove H, AIS and DTAC all have greatly expanded their 3G deployments. Further there is a wide assortment of price-effective mobile broadband data plans available. I know its easy to whinge about things here, but I'm not sure 3G should be one of those things?

Yep, better get that memory checked. USA is using HSPA+ (3g+) and marketing it as 4G. a european operators is only just launching 4G as a proof of concept in once small city to test results / performance / issues.

AIS 4G, just marketing hype at this point. Anyone can throw down a few 4G sites and grab some headlines, in reality they are trailing in the 3G arena and are trying to atleast boost their image as the mobile data leader.

Moreover, the 4G system will help relieve the network density problem once an increasing number of consumers use the 3G system.

Right of course people will sign up for the old 3G when 4G is available.......

You may be parsing the statement incorrectly? I suspect the implication is that by the time LTE/4G is available existing 3G infrastructure may be over-subscribed. Makes sense to me, not sure why you seem confused by the statement?

It is just a simple announcement about a trial; not sure why so many people think this means something more, or less, than that?

Yep, better get that memory checked. USA is using HSPA+ (3g+) and marketing it as 4G. a european operators is only just launching 4G as a proof of concept in once small city to test results / performance / issues.

AIS 4G, just marketing hype at this point. Anyone can throw down a few 4G sites and grab some headlines, in reality they are trailing in the 3G arena and are trying to atleast boost their image as the mobile data leader.

If i remember correctly this Vietnam 4G, same as in Cambodia, was WiMax. Not even close to 4G but marketed as such.

Also good to remember that even LTE is not in 4G speeds yet. Although it now been agreed that LTE can be marketed as 4G.

For anyone looking for the descriptions and speeds just check wikipedia or old posts here. The tables been posted several times.

And US is now running LTE and coverage is improving. Scandinavia has seen selected cities for a some time now.

It's been mostly USB dongles so far but now with US going LTE there starts to be phones and other devices available as well. Latest being new iPad with LTE connectivity (US Frequencies i'd assume).

• Like 1

You may be parsing the statement incorrectly? I suspect the implication is that by the time LTE/4G is available existing 3G infrastructure may be over-subscribed. Makes sense to me, not sure why you seem confused by the statement?

It is just a simple announcement about a trial; not sure why so many people think this means something more, or less, than that?

Quite right, operators are dying for cost effective ways to increase bandwidth and capacity. The data usage is exploding and in Thailand this is still ahead and will be a big problems very soon when subscribers sign on to data plans in numbers. We have already seen those unlimited monthly plans to disappear with introduction of data capped plans.

4G or LTE is just one way for the operators to increase the capacity of their networks. Next will be so called WiFi offloading meaning operators will push subscribers to WiFi networks in congested locations. Just for the simple reason that WiFi is very cost effective way to provide additional bandwidth in congested locations which usually are malls and cafes etc.

The technology is developing fast, give it few years and you don't even notice nor you are interested which technology carries your data. It just happens and you pay a one off monthly fee as you do now for 3G.

Maha Sahrakam is a interesting place I assume. But they have just one and a half 4LTE enabled devices there. So what is the rationale behind a trial in the middle of nowhere?

Trials are better run in areas without too much congestion and subscribers around. If it some reason causes issues with existing 2G/3G network you don't want it to happen in downtown Bangkok. It might very well be that they have some switching center in the area etc making it convenient location. Usually you run these in at least two areas to test connectivity between switching centers.

I doubt the trial is open for customers. Closed trial with network planners driving around with LTE capable test kits fitted in their cars. But who knows maybe they have one base station somewhere open for public access just for PR reasons.

Edited by MJo

Hell, the land lines barely work here. I have True and it is On/off/on/off/on/off every 10 minutes.

I signed up for some 10 Mbs contract a year ago & it SUCKED. My neighbor that lives 50 feet away signed up for the 4 MBS package at half the price. We both got the same problems.

Anyhow, due to idiotic, feudal, mafia, moronic reasons, True is the only choice we have.

I down-graded my subscription last December to match his......EXACTLY THE SAME SHIT as I had before, yet I was paying twice as much as he was for 2 years.

Why not fix that first??? It's called increasing the bandwidth.

Probably would be better to go with a 3(or 4)G wireless, as most bandwidth users are using land line PC's.

Probably faster due to fewer users these days.

Edited by jaywalker

There is one device that may be out in Thailand soon with sufficient market desirability, and that has LTE on it - the new iPad (weird not calling it the iPad 3).

However, it's LTE frequencies are set up for 700 and 2100 MHz (2100 is the global standard - 700 is common in the US), and AIS is using 1900 and 2300 MHz, what are the odds that the AIS frequencies will change and any devices bought now will have to be replaced...

After all, tourists coming here will be using devices with the 700 and 2100 MHz frequencies... - if the operators want to collect any roaming charges, the frequencies will have to change before they go live...)

There is one device that may be out in Thailand soon with sufficient market desirability, and that has LTE on it - the new iPad (weird not calling it the iPad 3).

However, it's LTE frequencies are set up for 700 and 2100 MHz (2100 is the global standard - 700 is common in the US), and AIS is using 1900 and 2300 MHz, what are the odds that the AIS frequencies will change and any devices bought now will have to be replaced...

After all, tourists coming here will be using devices with the 700 and 2100 MHz frequencies... - if the operators want to collect any roaming charges, the frequencies will have to change before they go live...)

Let me twist this around for you. Suppose you are AIS and you're about to open a new desirable 4G service and there are possibly only a few Chinese devices (see post #4) that work on your system. You can now partner with handset manufacturers and have exclusive phones for your service. It's exactly what the CDMA carriers do in the USA.

Besides, I don't even know how the spectrum is divided up currently. Those could be the only frequencies that were available for LTE or the easiest frequencies to convert over to LTE.

Maha Sahrakam is a interesting place I assume. But they have just one and a half 4LTE enabled devices there. So what is the rationale behind a trial in the middle of nowhere?

I assumed this might be associated with the university there?

I suspect that this trial may have an equipment sponsor, who will provide both the infrastructure and end-points.

Still no AIS 3G in Koh Samui. A major tourist island. Is there no shame in their game? I keep getting told 3 months from now. That has been the case for the last 2 years. I am told there are parts of rural Africa that have 3G. Many parts of Laos. This is just another example of how poorly Thailand is doing, when it comes to improving their infrastructure. Astonishing, really. I sometimes forget how 3rd world Thailand is, especially when one considers that it is the world's 22nd largest economy. But, some things just do not change, or improve here. So, why is AIS fooling around with 4G, when there are SO MANY PARTS of Thailand without 3G? Is this simply a face saving gesture?

Still no AIS 3G in Koh Samui. A major tourist island. Is there no shame in their game? I keep getting told 3 months from now. That has been the case for the last 2 years. I am told there are parts of rural Africa that have 3G. Many parts of Laos. This is just another example of how poorly Thailand is doing, when it comes to improving their infrastructure. Astonishing, really. I sometimes forget how 3rd world Thailand is, especially when one considers that it is the world's 22nd largest economy. But, some things just do not change, or improve here. So, why is AIS fooling around with 4G, when there are SO MANY PARTS of Thailand without 3G? Is this simply a face saving gesture?

Where to start? TOT has 3G on Koh Samui and I am certain you can roam onto TOT from AIS/One-2-Call. DTAC also has 3G on Koh Samui. CAT/TrueMove H have 3 G coverage on Koh Samui. I mean the <deleted>' island is saturated with 3G, what more could ask you for? (Oh right, something else to complain about.) Regarding 3G in rural Africa, I am told I am handsome, so I think we all know that maybe what we are told is not always accurate. wink.png What does "many parts of Laos" mean, exactly? Are you saying many parts of Laos have 3G? I'll take your word for that I guess, but not sure how that is germane to this topic?

While I am sure some things never change, or improve, I'm not sure you would be accurate if you were talking about 3G here in Thailand. My SWAG on 3G coverage, being target population centers rather than 100% land-mass coverage, would be 65% with one or more providers.

AS said a couple of times in this thread, AIS is "fooling around" with 4G as a trial, to gain some experience on deploying and operating the network. This is fairly common is practically every country in the world, with just about every type of service. Try something out in a controlled area, lean, then roll it out to a wider area. Is this somehow a new concept to you?

Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 2

Not quite, 2100MHz is pretty much global standard for 3G (WCDMA). There is also 3G deployments in 859, 900 and couple of other frequencies around the world. USA i understand has their own, most likely something to do with the military reserving frequencies in their exclusive use.

Now LTE's problem is that there is no "standard" frequency to use yet like 2100 in 3G and that is one reason why there is so few handsets. Manufacturers are waiting to see which frequency countries and operators select before bringing in devices.

The grass is always greener...

Guys you'll need to wake up to the fact that Thailand is doing pretty well in connectivity these days. Sure we're not Korea, not Europe, and not the USA - but things are happening, and it's not bad.

We've had 3G here for a while - I know I've been using it for over a year without problems. It's fast, too. Try 3G in the USA if you want to see a slow / bad network.

I have a TOT fiber line which has been working flawlessly for months now. I've given up my 3BB Premier which I would still recommend for anyone not able to get reliable internet; 3BB premier is only 5Mbps and expensive, but... it works.

4G seems to be a huge mess as far as frequencies and standards are concerned so which phones run on what network will be a mess for years to come. 4G devices are just being introduced, and lots of them are limited to one or two operators. Like the new iPad - only runs on 4G in the USA. Everywhere else it's 3G. Multi-frequency chips are not available, 4G uses way more battery than 3G (which in turn uses more than 2G), etc...

Where to start? TOT has 3G on Koh Samui and I am certain you can roam onto TOT from AIS/One-2-Call. DTAC also has 3G on Koh Samui. CAT/TrueMove H have 3 G coverage on Koh Samui. I mean the <deleted>' island is saturated with 3G, what more could ask you for? (Oh right, something else to complain about.) Regarding 3G in rural Africa, I am told I am handsome, so I think we all know that maybe what we are told is not always accurate. wink.png What does "many parts of Laos" mean, exactly? Are you saying many parts of Laos have 3G? I'll take your word for that I guess, but not sure how that is germane to this topic?

While I am sure some things never change, or improve, I'm not sure you would be accurate if you were talking about 3G here in Thailand. My SWAG on 3G coverage, being target population centers rather than 100% land-mass coverage, would be 65% with one or more providers.

AS said a couple of times in this thread, AIS is "fooling around" with 4G as a trial, to gain some experience on deploying and operating the network. This is fairly common is practically every country in the world, with just about every type of service. Try something out in a controlled area, lean, then roll it out to a wider area. Is this somehow a new concept to you?

Yes, the gal at the AIS store in Chaweng (the most knowledgeable gal in the main store on the island) told me they have 3G in many parts of Laos, and it is a great source of interdepartmental embarrassment to her, and the staff that Laos is beating out Thailand in the race to equip large segments of the country with 3G. And the friends I know who have true here on Samui, tell me there is only one section of Chaweng that has decent 3G reception. So, again I repeat, there is very little 3G coverage on Koh Samui. I live here. That is a fact. I am not making this stuff up, as you seem to imply.

The grass is always greener...

Guys you'll need to wake up to the fact that Thailand is doing pretty well in connectivity these days. Sure we're not Korea, not Europe, and not the USA - but things are happening, and it's not bad.

We've had 3G here for a while - I know I've been using it for over a year without problems. It's fast, too. Try 3G in the USA if you want to see a slow / bad network.

I have a TOT fiber line which has been working flawlessly for months now. I've given up my 3BB Premier which I would still recommend for anyone not able to get reliable internet; 3BB premier is only 5Mbps and expensive, but... it works.

4G seems to be a huge mess as far as frequencies and standards are concerned so which phones run on what network will be a mess for years to come. 4G devices are just being introduced, and lots of them are limited to one or two operators. Like the new iPad - only runs on 4G in the USA. Everywhere else it's 3G. Multi-frequency chips are not available, 4G uses way more battery than 3G (which in turn uses more than 2G), etc...

I have a 3G account in the US. It is very fast. Download speeds of over 1MB. Never experienced that in LOS.

Yes, the gal at the AIS store in Chaweng (the most knowledgeable gal in the main store on the island) told me they have 3G in many parts of Laos, and it is a great source of interdepartmental embarrassment to her, and the staff that Laos is beating out Thailand in the race to equip large segments of the country with 3G. And the friends I know who have true here on Samui, tell me there is only one section of Chaweng that has decent 3G reception. So, again I repeat, there is very little 3G coverage on Koh Samui. I live here. That is a fact. I am not making this stuff up, as you seem to imply.

I understand that it is easy for you rely on a "gal" in an AIS store, or some friends, in order to inform your posts. rolleyes.gif I am not implying you are making anything up, just grossly misinformed.

Maybe try TrueMove H, CAT, DTAC; SIMs are 49 baht, and a daily plan is 49 baht.

Re: AIS, what make/model phone do you have? Do you have an AIS 3G plan?

DTAC, Bangkok, 3G (my HW/baseband modem is limited to 7.2 Mbps):

post-9615-0-68991100-1331355343_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo

Let me twist this around for you. Suppose you are AIS and you're about to open a new desirable 4G service and there are possibly only a few Chinese devices (see post #4) that work on your system. You can now partner with handset manufacturers and have exclusive phones for your service. It's exactly what the CDMA carriers do in the USA.

Besides, I don't even know how the spectrum is divided up currently. Those could be the only frequencies that were available for LTE or the easiest frequencies to convert over to LTE.

Apple didn't change their radios for Verizon (largest mobile operator in the US) until 2011, so that the iPhone 4 was the first iPhone available on the largest US network. And you expect them to change their radios for AIS?