10 Year Old Severely Injured In Siam Paragonsiam P

andyfletch

In todays Bangkok Post:

"SIAM PARAGON TRAGIC ACCIDENT AT LUXURY SHOPPING CENTRE

Girl severely injured after falling through gap in floor at new mall

APINYA WIPATAYOTIN

Three days after the grand opening of the 15-billion-baht Siam Paragon, Bangkok's newest luxury shopping centre was hit by a tragic accident when a 10-year-old girl fell five metres through a gap on the main floor to the floor below. Matarika Kijjapathoomsak, or ``Nong Meena'', visited Siam Paragon with her family on Monday night. While playing around a water garden on the main floor, the girl accidentally slipped through a space between a water garden and an elevator, dropping to the ground floor.

Nong Meena was unconscious following the accident. She had sustained severe facial injuries, including shattered facial bones and a broken jaw, a broken right leg and other injuries.

The girl was admitted to the Police General Hospital and later transferred to Bumrungrad Hospital at the insistence of Siam Paragon Development Co executives.

Karoon Mekanontchai, director of Bumrungrad Hospital, said Nong Meena's condition has improved, but she will need to be closely observed in the intensive care unit for a few more days.

A hospital medical team spent more than five hours tending to her injuries. Fortunately, X-rays confirmed the little girl did not suffer brain injury.

``We are quite satisfied with her condition after the jaw surgery. She can talk with her parents now. However, we are still concerned about her neck bone injury and possible infections,'' said Dr Karoon.

He said Siam Paragon Development Co told the hospital they would be responsible for the medical costs.

A security guard who witnessed the accident said the girl was running and jumping around the water garden on the main floor before she fell.

``Siam Paragon has a well-run safety operation. But, in this case, we couldn't help because the security guards were standing too far from the group. ,I think the girl's parents should tell their daughter not to play near such a risky area'' said the guard, who declined to be named.

A visit by the Bangkok Post to the accident scene yesterday found no warning signs had been put up to tell visitors of the possible danger posed by the gap in the floor that Nong Meena slipped through.

Only a line of plant pots were placed there as a temporary barrier to prevent shoppers from slipping into the three-metre-wide gap.

Siam Paragon claims to be the largest luxury mall in Asia, ahead of Hong Kong's Pacific Place and several high-end shops in Singapore. It expects to draw 100,000 visitors a day."

Here we go again, a shopping mall putting profits before public safety, and this is supposed to be the top end of the market?? :D:o

They will never learn!!!!! :D

Edited by andyfletch

Having gone on Friday evening as I wanted to go see the new Kinokiniya bookstore I was shocked by the amount of people that were pushing and shoving to get in and on escalators. I thought to myself this is an accident waiting to happen. I was also curious as how they managed to finish this megamall in 2 years. I've been watching the progress constantly as I take the BTS and change at Siam. I really would not be surprised if the place collapses as it seemed very rushed. Go into Siam Paragon and look at the floors. The tiles are chipped and uneven. That shows me it was rushed. Anyway it's all about making money. On a good note I was happy with the new bookstore as it is 3 or 4 times larger than the Emporium branch.

The danger of focusing too much on face is that societal pressure is always on the verge of boiling over for some. The Japanese have a very high rate of suicide largely due to stress from fear of humiliation. There can be even a greater danger once people are removed from that environment and begin to act without any inhibition.

When I taught at unversity in Japan, one of the professors explained that the atrocities commited by the Japanese during WWII stemmed from the fact that soldiers were finally free from the confines of their tightly knit communities and became unleashed animals. They no longer had to worry about saving face and went to extreme measures to take advantage of the circumstances. 

I don't think society in Thailand is anywhere near as regimented as that of Japan, but there are certainly common elements.

NOt only were there inadequate safety precautions, but then they blame their carelessness and incompetence on the child and parents - typical :o

NOt only were there inadequate safety precautions, but then they blame their carelessness and incompetence on the child and parents - typical 
If you read the article. It said...
I think the girl's parents should tell their daughter not to play near such a risky area'' said the guard, who declined to be named.

I wouldn't put too much in what a 6,000 Baht a month salary guard has stated. He is not the spokesperson or the owner of the shopping complex!

I'm sure we all hope the little girl gets well soon.

THE GIRL WHO FELL FROM SIAM PARAGON IS NOW SAFE

The 10-year-old girl named MONTARIKA KITJAPATHUMSAK (มณฑริกา กิจจาปทุมศักดิ์) who fell down from an elevator in Siam Paragon on Monday night is now safe, after doctors carried out an intense operation that lasted one whole night.

MONTARIKA is now under close supervision in the Intensive Care Unit at BAMRUNGRAD (บำรุงราษฎร์) Hospital. Hospital Director KARUN METHANONCHAI (การุณ เมฑานนท์ชัย) said that the patient suffered cracked facial bone and jaw, and a broken right leg. The patient is however conscious and has no trace of brain damage. Dr. KARUN also noted that the patient’s neck has been slightly disturbed, but this should not affect her condition.

Relatives of the girl have yet to file charges against Siam Paragon shopping complex. However, police said they would have to call in related persons for further interrogation if the girl’s condition was severe.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 14 December 2005

• 3 months later...

Old news... old thread... nothing of value added nor likely to be.

:o

PM me if anyone does have something of value to add... like some happy news or pictures of the little girl fully recovered... until then...

/Closed