Moving £££

Hi,

I have some questions that I hope some of you can help me with. My girlfriend of about 5 years has just recently got UK residence. We are often travelling between UK and Thailand. Right now RBS are getting away with daylight robbery whenever I send money to my girlfriends bangkok bank account from England. My income is from the UK.

Can she now open an account with the London branch of Bangkok bank? Can I open one? (I am a UK and Irish citizen).

Will this make it cheaper to transfer money back to Thailand?

I have read that Halifax do good rates. If this is the best method I could open an account with them instead.

Thanks

-Jack

Opening an account with Bangkok Bank London is not the solution to your issue. The funds would still have to be sent to the account in Thailand and this incurs costs. While BBL's london office does provide a service to transfer funds at a slightly better rate, see attached link, other posters in the past have explained cheaper ways of transferring funds to an account in Thailand

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok%20Bank/Personal%20Banking/Transfering%20Funds/Transferring%20into%20Thailand/Receiving%20Funds%20from%20UK/Pages/Receiving%20Funds%20from%20UK.aspx

Next time you're in London be sure to open an account with the Metro Bank and simply get your GF to withdraw from the ATM as required..all without charges! No need to close your existing account just simply transfer money online to the Metro as & when needed.

I came across this while searching only a few days ago, problem is they insist on only personal applications to open an acc. You will of course have to pay the Thai 150 baht charge each time unless you can get to an Aeon atm. Other than this expect to pay thru the nose for any method of cash transfer.

From what you said about rates and halifax I take it you are sending baht,i.e letting your UK bank convert your pounds to baht?

If so, that's your problem right there. Just tell them to send pounds and the Thai bank will covert at a much better rate.

Right now RBS is selling baht at 44.36, but Bangkok Bank is buying pounds at 47.86

"that's your problem right there. Just tell them to send pounds

Right now RBS is selling baht at 44.36, Bangkok Bank buying pounds at 47.86"

and at the moment you get just over 48 at the atm, no contest! but all this is easy to research on the web so why would anyone even consider changing to baht before transfer?

I send money from the US to my Thai account using the Bangkok Bank New York branch. I did not open an account in New York. I use their routing number and my account number from the branch here in Thailand. The transfer is free and Bangkok Bank does the conversion from USD to THB. It takes about 3 days for the whole thing to show up in my account here in Thailand. I don't see why you couldn't do the same thing using the Bangkok Bank London branch.

Why are you sending your alleged 'girlfriend' money? Tell her to get a job. Tell her to send YOU money for a change.

Where would these girls and their well hidden Thai sami's be without farangs ...... pray tell!

Are you a complete retard? I am travelling to Thailand with her. She works and lives in the UK also so we need to move the funds should we have the desire to enter Thailand duh!

"that's your problem right there. Just tell them to send pounds

Right now RBS is selling baht at 44.36, Bangkok Bank buying pounds at 47.86"

and at the moment you get just over 48 at the atm, no contest! but all this is easy to research on the web so why would anyone even consider changing to baht before transfer?

Yes thanks guys, I have always sent Sterling. I learned that trick from the start.