Up The Mountain . . . Not On A Tour

Hi all.

I've been looking around at what's on offer and noticed that all the organised tours include a jungle trip or a run up the mountain - stuff like that.

But can anyone tell me about spots they've discovered by themselves which are good? Something not in the brochures?

Maybe a shady pool or bathing spot. A little guest house or somewhere to stay overnight, maybe with a nice little cafe or something?

It doesn't have to be way up high - even the Santiburi golf course has great views. But places to go where there's something to enjoy or stop and have a drink or a nibble.

Even just making a list of known restaurants or cafes which are up their would be good and give me somewhere new to go and check out . . .

cheers,

R

Edited by robsamui

Hace you been up Mae Nam Soi 5 to the top "View Top Viewpoint"? There's a great little old wooden viewpoint covered terrace attached to a little house. A Thai family live there, selling beer and soft drinks, think they actually sell food too. Nice little spot with great views over the north coast and phangan.

Also south of Nathon, just about opposite the mummified monk, the road up there (bear right, following the resort signs) leads to a fantastic restaurant overlooking the 5 islands.

Yeah the mountain grand view restaurant, food is pretty good there, nice place, not over priced. I don't know if i'd swim in that pool though, but like you say the view is great.

Also south of Nathon, just about opposite the mummified monk, the road up there (bear right, following the resort signs) leads to a fantastic restaurant overlooking the 5 islands.

Yeah the mountain grand view restaurant, food is pretty good there, nice place, not over priced. I don't know if i'd swim in that pool though, but like you say the view is great.

There is another place, just before there I think, on the left. Can't remember the name .... up a track made of what looks like a dry ski slope (!!). No pool. Just a restaurant jutting out over the side of the hill. Looks down onto the elephant trekking. And HUGE spiders in the trees overhead. Ooops, perhaps should not have said that.blink.png

There is another place, just before there I think, on the left. Can't remember the name .... up a track made of what looks like a dry ski slope (!!). No pool. Just a restaurant jutting out over the side of the hill. Looks down onto the elephant trekking. And HUGE spiders in the trees overhead. Ooops, perhaps should not have said that.blink.png

Yeah it's called Paradise view or something like that, i didn't venture up on the bike due to moss like dry ski slope driveway you mentioned :)

Yeah it's called Paradise view or something like that, i didn't venture up on the bike due to moss like dry ski slope driveway you mentioned smile.png

That's the place.clap2.gif Only 20m up the slope, worth the walk. Bit of a black run back down tho'.laugh.png Great spot for a beer and a plate of pad thai.

• Like 1

There's quite a maze of roads up in them there hills! Perhaps the road Itsohothere mentioned near the mummified Monk, goes off in to the hills, some lead somewhere, some don't... a case of checking them out...

You can actually come out at Soi 5 by at least one of the maze of roads... from the other side... goes past the Magic Gardens... It's been a couple of years since I did it, now, but there are some nice view points, one place called the Grand Kingdom, where they sell warm pop, or coffee made over a coconut fire... (takes a while to brew!) but it was worth the wait... No electric in those locations... guess they don't have to worry about power cuts! biggrin.png

They were picking Durien the first time I was there, not sure I would want that job....ohmy.png

The Jungle safari trucks use some of those roads... so one needs to be on watch out for them... they end up coming down Soi 5...

As for swimming holes:

Near Canopy Adventure Tour Zip lines, (watch for sign on left side after sharp bend, perhaps 2 to 3 km from ring road..... off Soi 5 there are two spots to take a dip, one about 500 metres in from the road (Soi 5) on the right... bit of a clearing there for parking... then walk a few metres to the stream... or go all the ways to the top, where the Secret water falls are... usually a good pool there... The staff at the Zip line always helpful and will give you directions... (Beer and pop available there too) .... just up the hill from their hut, bear to the right. That road is rough! so not for nervous drivers.rolleyes.gif You'll pass a reservoir, which is usually empty... that's about half way up....

The other small water fall and dipping pools, (depends on rain) is off Soi One .... follow the sign for the waterfalls, when headed toward Lamai, you park near a building that one day will be finished... with fantastic view of KP and on a clear day Koh Toa. It's a bit of a hike down to the stream / waterfalls ... sometimes a Burmese guy there to guide you... Usually a box of cold box of pop, available too .... (honour box to pay if no one around... )

I've managed to get down to Lamai once too, coming from the west side.... that was definitely a white knuckle drive! ..... not recommendedblink.png !

• Like 1

One of my favourites is Jungle Club.

Great chill out place and decent food. Not the cheapest though. Well worth it for the views over Chewang and nice people.

Head south out of Chewang, past Bangkok Samui Hospital and keep going. As you leave the last resorts (Impiana) a few hundred meters on the right.

http://www.jungleclubsamui.com/

I saw a new sign for a waterfall on the way in to Nathon coming from Mae Nam, just on the left hand side, where you can take a right towards the sea and Nathon Pier. So I ventured down there, following the signs, lovely and rural. Started to get some funny looks from locals, like what are you doing out here. Eventually coming to where the waterfall is supposed to be, the road ends and turns into a bit off serious off road territory. Being on a scooter at the time i thought i'd give it go as far as could then leave the bike and go for a wonder. I got about 15 metres before this Thai gentleman came flying out of the house on the right, going bonkers at me, while i smiled and looked a bit puzzled, then he charged off back inside. I didn't get to see the waterfall, I legged it, redlining it until i was out of sight. Maybe he was trying to help me :) My Thai isn't the best, but i'm pretty sure he wasn't happy to see me.

Maybe they put the waterfall sign up for a joke....to wind this bloke up, i'm sure i wasn't lost :)

Thanks fellas for all the detailed info.

I'll have a slow and careful look through your replies and PM people where I want to ask more.

What a great response from you all!

bravo-009.gif

R

Great chill out place and decent food. Not the cheapest though. Well worth it for the views over Chewang and nice people.

Head south out of Chewang, past Bangkok Samui Hospital and keep going. As you leave the last resorts (Impiana) a few hundred meters on the right.

Yes I know this - buy what a scary 40-degree hill to it!

Cheers!

R

There's quite a maze of roads up in them there hills! Perhaps the road Itsohothere mentioned near the mummified Monk, goes off in to the hills, some lead somewhere, some don't... a case of checking them out...

You can actually come out at Soi 5 by at least one of the maze of roads... from the other side... goes past the Magic Gardens... It's been a couple of years since I did it, now, but there are some nice view points, one place called the Grand Kingdom, where they sell warm pop, or coffee made over a coconut fire... (takes a while to brew!) but it was worth the wait... No electric in those locations... guess they don't have to worry about power cuts! biggrin.png

They were picking Durien the first time I was there, not sure I would want that job....ohmy.png

The Jungle safari trucks use some of those roads... so one needs to be on watch out for them... they end up coming down Soi 5...

As for swimming holes:

Near Canopy Adventure Tour Zip lines, (watch for sign on left side after sharp bend, perhaps 2 to 3 km from ring road..... off Soi 5 there are two spots to take a dip, one about 500 metres in from the road (Soi 5) on the right... bit of a clearing there for parking... then walk a few metres to the stream... or go all the ways to the top, where the Secret water falls are... usually a good pool there... The staff at the Zip line always helpful and will give you directions... (Beer and pop available there too) .... just up the hill from their hut, bear to the right. That road is rough! so not for nervous drivers.rolleyes.gif You'll pass a reservoir, which is usually empty... that's about half way up....

The other small water fall and dipping pools, (depends on rain) is off Soi One .... follow the sign for the waterfalls, when headed toward Lamai, you park near a building that one day will be finished... with fantastic view of KP and on a clear day Koh Toa. It's a bit of a hike down to the stream / waterfalls ... sometimes a Burmese guy there to guide you... Usually a box of cold box of pop, available too .... (honour box to pay if no one around... )

I've managed to get down to Lamai once too, coming from the west side.... that was definitely a white knuckle drive! ..... not recommendedblink.png !

As for swimming holes:

Thanks Jim - excellent - be back to you on this!

R

Hace you been up Mae Nam Soi 5 to the top "View Top Viewpoint"? There's a great little old wooden viewpoint covered terrace attached to a little house. A Thai family live there, selling beer and soft drinks, think they actually sell food too. Nice little spot with great views over the north coast and phangan.

Ah - that's the one! I think this is the only one I actually know of!

Thanks,

Rob

one of our, me and Thai wife, favorite steep ~5 hours walks starts from Wat Sila Ngu up and down on the hills to Wat Khunaram, an excellent exercise in fantastic nature without anything else. Only 1 Farang on the way, seems to be a crazy motorcycle enthusiast

Another sometimes popular spot for swimming, is in Nanthon Hin Lad or Hin Lat, depending on which sign you read !!!! ohmy.png (turn left at Samui Immigration & Nanthon Hospital Road, then drive to the end... A couple of restaurants there, which are not too bad...

You can walk up to the upper area either by walking past the Temple (there is a trail) or just to the pools you can walk and climb up to the top going up the stream... not too bad for navigating! At the top there are a couple of "pools" good for a cool down dip....

Agree with Bangrakbob, the falls he spoke of is a waste of time... ("Roue.... blah blah something" coming into Nanthon. ) That's the road the red vine is on, I have spoken about in the gardening section at end of concrete... (not blooming now!!!)

There is another that heads up from where they tried to make a Agro Tourism Centre, about 2 km from traffic lights at Samui Immigration... says Elephant trekking also, I think they have disappeared too. Locals say not much there.... to see...

I noticed yesterday a sign at Raja ferry ferry lights another sign (turn left at light, assume coming from Nanthon) for another falls... not sure if good or not...

I was once "chauffeur" driven to a fairly good waterfall, not Namuang 2... (obviously the best to see. ) but somewhere in that area.... Obviously most of these waterfalls are going to be better after a period of rain.

A case of driving up the roads and checking .... but not all worth while! rolleyes.gif

There's another one in that area that someone has tried to improve on "nature" and made a mess of it! Even charges to go see it.... It's not worth it! happy.png

My loins are girded, my tank is full. My packback contains 2 cameras, beer and similar survival stuff.

I have a GPS device.

I'm heading for Soi 5 and the Great Unknown on Sunday afternoon . . . phase 1 of a Samui upwards adventure - thanks to you guys . . .

I'm already doing pressups lift-ups in preparation . . .

drinking-50.gif

R

• Like 1

Here, I think is "Big Buddha" mentioned earlier on this thread.... (sorry missed who posted it) up Soi 3, from Maenam, one road I have not ventured far off the cement road....

The picture was taken by a bank teller at my Bank... some how we got chatting about various things, including this and driving around the middle of the island... amazing what you can learn from the locals! smile.png

.. it's slow at the bank on Saturdays.... !!! cool.png

.... on the list of "must do" ....one day!

post-85461-0-32164700-1331996149_thumb.j

Here, I think is "Big Buddha" mentioned earlier on this thread.... (sorry missed who posted it) up Soi 3, from Maenam, one road I have not ventured far off the cement road....

The picture was taken by a bank teller at my Bank... some how we got chatting about various things, including this and driving around the middle of the island... amazing what you can learn from the locals! smile.png

Speaking on a comparative basis and not wishing to demean the stature (or statue) of any deities whatsoever - I'd kinda rate this one as a sort of small-medium rather than a big. (But perfectly formed, nonetheless - although these things are relative*.) (Although doesn't look as cuddly as most - and sterner*.)

*Is it perhaps a relative?

R

Edited by robsamui

Speaking on a comparative basis and not wishing to demean the stature (or statue) of any deities whatsoever - I'd kinda rate this one as a sort of small-medium rather than a big. (But perfectly formed, nonetheless - although these things are relative*.) (Although doesn't look as cuddly as most - and sterner*.)

*Is it perhaps a relative?

R

Thats the one i told you about in a previous post, you replied to me with this..

"erm . . . Soi 1 goes to Lamai - ends up near Buddy's, Soi 3 - no. Soi 5 - don't think so . . .!

Soi 1 is easy on a scooter. No big bike needed.

Big Buddha is the temple at the end of Bang Rak. Close to the BBC Restaurant. Reckon you're about 8K out.

Unless there is a smaller big Buddha knocking about up the hill somewhere . . . near another restaurant . . .

Reckon you got some crossed sois/Buddhas here . . . 3d-funny-eyes.gif

R"

Now you see the one i mean? Think someone else was 8km out? coffee1.gif

Chatting with another long term "farang" today,.... apparently there is another huge Buddha being built some where up a very rough road over looking Lamai.... exact way in was a little vague ??? But mountain bike or 4 wheel drive required to get there...

So many Buddha's on so many roads.... & so little time it seems, to search out! unsure.pngrolleyes.gif

Chatting with another long term "farang" today,.... apparently there is another huge Buddha being built some where up a very rough road over looking Lamai.... exact way in was a little vague ??? But mountain bike or 4 wheel drive required to get there...

So many Buddha's on so many roads.... & so little time it seems, to search out! unsure.pngrolleyes.gif

I regularly mountain bike this and has the massive reward of a fantastic view. No restuarant there but there is one half way up.

Probably the best way to describe how to get there is .... Start at the end of Maenam soi 1 at the Lamai end. With this behind u go right, into the jungle not left to Lamai.

About 1 km and at the only concreted road turn right again.... this has signs for the half way up Restuarant too. Just follow that with no turn off's for about 5 kms ( very steep in places ) and it comes to the top by a small shop selling drinks. You will get to see the 'Big Budda' from about 2 thirds up to your left.

Go left at the very top and follow that road for about 1.5 kms and it will be obvous where to go from there.

Hope that helps

If u want to ride it give me a shout

Cheers Foggy1

I regularly mountain bike this and has the massive reward of a fantastic view. No restuarant there but there is one half way up.

Probably the best way to describe how to get there is .... Start at the end of Maenam soi 1 at the Lamai end. With this behind u go right, into the jungle not left to Lamai.

About 1 km and at the only concreted road turn right again.... this has signs for the half way up Restuarant too. Just follow that with no turn off's for about 5 kms ( very steep in places ) and it comes to the top by a small shop selling drinks. You will get to see the 'Big Budda' from about 2 thirds up to your left.

Go left at the very top and follow that road for about 1.5 kms and it will be obvous where to go from there.

Hope that helps

If u want to ride it give me a shout

Cheers Foggy1

Thanks for this Foggy1.... I think I know where you mean to turn! thumbsup.gif

I've lost two responses here with more detail so keeping this short!

The "little" Big Buddha! Not as large as the other Big Buddha! tongue.pngit does over looks Lamai....

I did this today, very easy to find, not even much of a "white knuckle drive" there are even several sign posts, and it is the same place I posted a picture last week.... and meets up from quite a number of roads that form the "maze of roads" in the centre of the island... so yes off Soi 1 , but the turn is much closer to Lamai than Maenam (as froggy1 pointed out it's where the sharp turn is, when you head to Maenam or visa versa They are even concreting the road.... so watch out for cement trucks.....

Soi 5 from Maenam will lead you there too....

Also From Lipa Noi area (road that turns at the new Chevrolet Sales Outlet, (but not passable by truck at moment or perhaps should say 4 x 4 on stilts!!! .... as road washed out, about 2 or 3 km up.... but they are fixing that!. That road starts off being a super highway.... but turns into different degrees of difficulty.... on sand & gravel road and two lane cement tracks....

From Hau Thaunan (Muslim Village area....) One of the yellow signs points that way, but not sure where that comes out....(yet)

Perhaps Soi 3 from Maenam too.... need to check that to make sure.... but I think where the yellow sign (pictured), says "Maenam" but it could be that it meets up with the Soi 5 road too.... ???... but most of the roads do seem to connect up somewhere up there! unsure.png ...

I am not sure that I would recommend doing this on a smaller bike ... i.e Honda Click and the like.... certainly not with two adultswink.png or even a car.... high wheel 4x4 should be OK.

The Khao Nui View Restaurant has a lovely view, certainly not the busiest restaurant, on Samui! But a good stop off point.... staff was helpful and friendly... has a nice swimming pool too! it is still about 5 kms to the Buddha.

post-85461-0-14989900-1332667687_thumb.j

post-85461-0-27758300-1332667707_thumb.j

post-85461-0-84019900-1332667760_thumb.j

post-85461-0-55798100-1332667786_thumb.j

post-85461-0-31066400-1332667828_thumb.j

post-85461-0-30482700-1332667913_thumb.j

post-85461-0-53178300-1332667995_thumb.j

post-85461-0-99593000-1332668015_thumb.j