Foreigner In Pattaya Jumps Off Railroad Bridge Crossing

webfact

[For 33 years I have never carried any ID unless I am driving or going to the bank. Never been asked or if I was there was no consequence.

That's good. I also have lived comfortably here - for even longer - with few requests for any passport copy.

I am simply relating what the law requires and if challenged by Police to produce one it solves issues about your visa status.

Peace.

You're either a priest or a teacher aren't you? Go on, 'fess up.

The middle-aged man was wearing a white t-shirt and brown pants

rolleyes.gif

My thoughts exactly . . . brown pants? Reason enough . . . with or without ID. Brown . . . wacko.png

I don't understand this at all. Is there something wrong with a man wearing a white tshirt and brown pants?

If you have to ask . . .

Drunks will do strange things but of more interest to me is that no ID was found on him.

I feel I should point out that unlike many other countries, Thai law says one must carry a copy (at least) of a passport or a Thai ID card - if not the original. I recommend that all foreigners get a credit card size copy of front passport page and latest visa. Costs about 60 baht to get done in plastic and easy to keep in a wallet.

Just a distinct possibility he didn't want to have any ID on him and the drinking was to give him the "courage" to jump...

Drunks will do strange things but of more interest to me is that no ID was found on him.

I feel I should point out that unlike many other countries, Thai law says one must carry a copy (at least) of a passport or a Thai ID card - if not the original. I recommend that all foreigners get a credit card size copy of front passport page and latest visa. Costs about 60 baht to get done in plastic and easy to keep in a wallet.

Just a distinct possibility he didn't want to have any ID on him and the drinking was to give him the "courage" to jump...

Courage to jump? Is was only 6 meters.

They also said he may have been intoxicated prior to the fall, since the officers testified they smelled alcohol on him.

Since the officers testified that they smelled their own alcohol they had before. jap.gif

"smelled" is that English?wink.png

Courage to jump? Is was only 6 meters.

For some that is high enough, unless you're an expert.

Who really knows what is behind this? All speculation now isn't it? Maybe he did have id, was robbed and thrown over the bridge by the same 2 guys that attacked the pregnant Russian and her husband? I mean he was drunk and staggering. If people are brave enough to do gold snatchings, beatings for a few baht why would this be past them?

Maybe he was just tired of hearing the "call for prayer" which makes me think of suicide hearing it 4 or 5 times a day in the same area he was in? Just saying.

Edited by Gone

I am guessing they asked the Thai's what they saw...? jap.gif I can just see it now

Police: Did you see this Farrange before he jumped...

Thai bystander 1: Ow Nooo, I think he was walking on the wall. Police: Do you know about what time Thai bystander 1: GAAW, I not here when he climb on wall and jumb he he. Police: Krap!

Police: Did you see this person climb on the wall before he jumped.

Thai bystander 2: He crazy man always walk wrecklessly and crazy almost walk in front of speeding car and do stupid farrang thing like this. Police: yes yes. You see him allot? Thai bystander 2: No...but he farrang.....I just get here from bangkok...not know him, not here when he run in front of car and motorcycle before climbing on wall and handing wallet to someone on motorcycle...I just standing watching. Police: Ok....so you think he climb on wall and jumb by himself...and give ID away to passing motorcycle...? Thai bystander 2: krap! something like this...yes. Police: Uh uh..yes good good...Krap

Thai bystander 3: pEE pEE! I know everything...when i came back from droping passenger farrang jump. He Mow Mow. Police: Krap! Krap! jing jingahh Thai bystander 3: Jing! Police: wHY HE JUMP! Thai bystander 1 (Motorcycle Taxi driver) because he stupid farrang I not here I told you I take passanger to pattaya Grand. when I come back I told there is a farrang laying on tracks.so I go to check his pockets for ID ( mai mee) no have, but here I find wallet empty....you want..ow mai....? Police: Meow, clap2.gif

[For 33 years I have never carried any ID unless I am driving or going to the bank. Never been asked or if I was there was no consequence.

That's good. I also have lived comfortably here - for even longer - with few requests for any passport copy.

I am simply relating what the law requires and if challenged by Police to produce one it solves issues about your visa status.

Peace.

You're either a priest or a teacher aren't you? Go on, 'fess up.

They are niether they are idiots....most likely like a really bad website with no functions and no life so they don't need any ID I have been here for along time and get asked on a regular basis..from the same people...but at the end of the day not having ID doesn't imply anything. Being drunk doesn't mean he jumped on purpose.....he could been or had been hit by a car or motorcycle. Hopefully we will find out but I doubt he was trying to kill himself....and nor do I believe any of the reported suicides that I read about. These high rise suicides are caused not by someone wanting to kill themselves but inadiquit railings that are set at 3 ft high for midgets and the perverded lip on the door at your feet from the sliding door. Or even the suden 5 inch drop from the condo to the balcony floor. That sudden drop can send someone flying to the railing and with a 3 ft high breaker rail would have the same affect as someone kneeling behind you while someone in front pushes you.. I am guessing the bridge doesn't have a proper sidewalk nor a 4 ft railing or higher to protect people walking across.

I always carry my Thai driving licence.

WONDERFULL that PattayaBangkok Hospitol would treat the guy even though he had no ID/Money on him. It is refreshing to hear good news about that place.

The article states "he was sent for treatment" not that he recieved it, which I doubt they did without ID/money....

Edited by KKK

For 33 years I have never carried any ID unless I am driving or going to the bank. Never been asked or if I was there was no consequence.

worth carring at least a plastic copy with you,, if you got into accident and where out cold and in hospital do you think they would treat you not knowing who to contact or where you were from