Entering Thailand On A Non-Immigrant B But Not Getting It Stamped On Arrival.

Ok, so i'm flying into Bkk in April on a non-immigrant B so I can work but I don't want to get it stamped when I arrive.

Basically I want to go on a trip to Cambodia and then stamp it when I cross the border back into Thailand a week or so later, is this even possible?

Many thanks,

angsta::

Depends on the immirgation officer, some now seem to allow it/some don't. You can only ask nicely and don't fill in the visa number on your arrival card for in case they allow it.

If they don't allow, get a re-entry permit before you leave to Cambodia, it costs 1,000 baht and will keep your non-B valid when you come back.

If I'm reading you right, you want to stamp in on a 30 day exemption ignoring your visa, then use your visa when you stamp in again after your Cambo trip?

Sounds complicated and likely not possible, why not just activate your visa when you arrive and (assuming your problem is that it's a single entry) get a re-entry permit before you go to Cambo...

I've done what you want to do several times.

No problem.

I have just asked the imm. off. at Swampy if I can have a 30day and save the visa for later.

So far the answer has been yes. They make a note of it in my passport and ask me to sign the note, and thats it.

It certainly isn't going to be a problem to ask the immigration officer at Swampy if you can come in on 30 day visa exempt status and activate the visa later. What's the worst that could happen? The I/O could say "no", activate the visa and the OP has to get a re-entry permit. This is probably one of the situations where being well-groomed and having a good attitude will go a long way (along with catching a I/M having a good day!)

Be aware that you still can not work without a work permit.

Thanks NancyL. I can speak some Thai and i'll wear a shirt for the flight.

@ Poorsucker - What does the above mean? Of course you can, the school converts it into a work permit at the local immigration office. I work for a large school in a city in Esan. We don't experience the same problems that for example teachers in Bangkok may face.

I get to Thailand in April, term starts mid May ish. I think i'll be fine but many thanks for your concern. I don't think the local immigration dept will be at the school gates checking paperwork.

What poor sucker means is that you need a work permit to be allowed to work. You will not get one on a visa exempt entry, only on a non-B visa entry. So you will have to wait till you come back from Cambodia before you can get the work permit.

I'll be in a similar situation next month.

I'm heading home during March, where I will apply for a new non b ready to start a new job on 1st May.

I will return a week or so before the new job starts and continue work with my present employer, so legally need to keep my current WP.

My initial thought was that I'd have to cancel my WP before leaving Thailand in order to get a new non b. However, local immigration have advised me that I should get a re-entry permit to maintain my current visa extention and WP until end of April, and that I'll be fine to apply for a new non b while the current non b is still in force.

This makes sense, but also sounds ropey. My concern is something will be stamped wrong when I arrive back at swampy in April, or the consulate back home will cancel my re-entry.

I intend adding a letter with my visa application to explain the situation, but still think something will go pear shape at swampy.

Anyone know how this works? Will they stamp me in on both visa's at swampy, or do local immigration stamp the new non b when the old one gets cancelled?

I'll be in a similar situation next month.

I'm heading home during March, where I will apply for a new non b ready to start a new job on 1st May.

I will return a week or so before the new job starts and continue work with my present employer, so legally need to keep my current WP.

My initial thought was that I'd have to cancel my WP before leaving Thailand in order to get a new non b. However, local immigration have advised me that I should get a re-entry permit to maintain my current visa extention and WP until end of April, and that I'll be fine to apply for a new non b while the current non b is still in force.

This makes sense, but also sounds ropey. My concern is something will be stamped wrong when I arrive back at swampy in April, or the consulate back home will cancel my re-entry.

I intend adding a letter with my visa application to explain the situation, but still think something will go pear shape at swampy.

Anyone know how this works? Will they stamp me in on both visa's at swampy, or do local immigration stamp the new non b when the old one gets cancelled?

If you are not changing jobs then why not just keep the Work Permit then extend again at the end of April?

You have no need to get a new non B visa in the UK, as your current extension (and original non B status) are both still valid if you remain with the same employer - what you are proposing is unecessarily complex and expensive.

Just make sure you get the re-entry permit, else it will be back to square one.

i change jobs on 1st May, so I need to do a new non b for the new WP. but,...... as I'm technically still employed by current employer, immigration say I need to do the re-entry also.

messy and extra dosh I that would haave been better spent on UK chocolate.